1568: "Synonym Movies 2"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

higgs-boson

Re: 1568: "Synonym Movies 2"

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:27 pm UTC

Coyne wrote:You know, I think he missed the best option for Harry Potter. He should have gone with "Potboy", a boy who makes pots.

That would make Oldboy, as the boy who makes old, Interstellar, at least from Cooper's POV.
No wait, I got it the wrong way, it should be motherfu... no, wait, not mother, but, .... eeeh... well.

At least, obfuscation by simplification really is a new one is still unusual (6 google hits at the moment of writing).
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

richP

Postby richP » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:39 pm UTC

Coyne wrote:You know, I think he missed the best option for Harry Potter. He should have gone with "Potboy", a boy who makes pots.

I prefer "Hirsute time waster". A British meaning seems appropriate here.

thesingingaccountant

Postby thesingingaccountant » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:44 pm UTC

Okay, I own my incompetence. What the HELL is "Hot and Cold Music"?! I figured out everything else. This will break me.
Never trust a psychic who has to reschedule.

EngineNr.9

Postby EngineNr.9 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:04 pm UTC

thesingingaccountant wrote:What the HELL is "Hot and Cold Music"?! I figured out everything else. This will break me.

Hint: This is only the book title, the TV series is "Musical Royalty-Chairs"

dp2

Postby dp2 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:14 pm UTC

thesingingaccountant wrote:Okay, I own my incompetence. What the HELL is "Hot and Cold Music"?! I figured out everything else. This will break me.

You are ignorant of everything, Bathroom Frozen Precipitation.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:38 pm UTC

thesingingaccountant wrote:Okay, I own my incompetence. What the HELL is "Hot and Cold Music"?! I figured out everything else. This will break me.

Spoiler:
A Song of Ice and Fire
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:39 pm UTC

For just a hint:
Reverse the order of the words first and then consider the "synonyms".

Mattman

Postby Mattman » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:35 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Wandboy is infinitely less funny than 'Ceramic Harold'.

Personally, I've always called him "Woolly Tinker". His best friend is Donald Ferrety. And they were friends with Mercurina McMaster-Carr.

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:31 pm UTC

Mattman wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Wandboy is infinitely less funny than 'Ceramic Harold'.

Personally, I've always called him "Woolly Tinker". His best friend is Donald Ferrety. And they were friends with Mercurina McMaster-Carr.

Interesting. My sister dates a McMaster-Carr employee, but this is the first I'd heard of their competitor.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:53 pm UTC

I don't like the Wandboy subtitles in general, but I really hate the one for the 6th book/movie. I mean, the whole point of the title was that it had a misleading word in it...
Spoiler:
it was set up for expectations that there was an actual prince, but Professor Snape was the half-blood son of a muggle father (named Snape) and a mother from the pureblood Prince family

I mean, yes I get that Randall's title referenced that there was a MacGuffin book, and it was a mystery who the [previous] owner was. Not that that was that much of a plot point, especially in the movie! If we're just going with renaming the movies with simple words that describe the plots, like some of the other titles here, then it should really be something more like "Pester Crocker Learns About His Adversary's Savepoints" or something like that. Or even "Pester Crocker and the Evil Memento Necklace". The book wasn't the real focus.
Still, I like the idea (largely abandoned in this sequel comic, as others have pointed out) of using synonyms. So, here's my list for this outing:

Pester Crocker and the Conjurer's Rock
Pester Crocker and the Room of Mysteries
Pester Crocker and the Escaped Convict*
Pester Crocker and the Flaming Grail
Pester Crocker and the Legion of the Firebird**
Pester Crocker and the Impure Noble***
Pester Crocker and the Infernal Relics (Parts 1 and 2)

* - yeah, because there really aren't any synonyms for you-know-where... although when I was a kid I thought it was Azerbaijan.
** - or "of Scottsdale" :)
*** - yeah, it doesn't have the same double meaning, but it'll have to do.

The problem with "Puncher" for Rocky... well, first of all, it's completely okay to use a synonym, as Rocky wasn't his name (It was Robert according to Wikipedia), but his nickname. But it is a nickname, a word, with several connotations... yes, it means stony or solid, but it also means chancy, risky. I like Rough for my synonym.

Rough
Rough II
Rough III
Rough IV
Rough V
Rough Panamanian coin
[Tenet, soon to be released]

For these movies, West Indian Marauders, there really isn't much connection between the titles and the plot, after the first one or two anyway - they're just good titles that don't really tell you what's going to happen. So Synonym titles probably aren't really the way to go, but ah well...

West Indian Marauders: The Jinx of the Dark Oysterfruit
West Indian Marauders: Corpse's Trunk
West Indian Marauders: To Reality's Limit
West Indian Marauders: In Foreign Waves
[West Indian Marauders: Corpses Don't Talk Much, coming out in two years or so]
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

abehrens

Postby abehrens » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:25 pm UTC

theRabbit wrote:Puncher? Oh, never mind, I think I get it. Again, not a synonym but a description.

He left out my favorite one, Puncher Terror Cinema.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”