1596: "Launch Status Check"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

higgs-boson

1596: "Launch Status Check"

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:39 am UTC

Image]
"Visual checks suggest the cool bird has exited the launch zone. Tip the rocket sideways and resume the countdown--we're gonna go find it!"

And we all thought that thing a year ago was a tragic accident.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

rhomboidal

Re: 1596: "Launch Status Check"

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:56 am UTC

"THE POSSIBLE EAGLE HAS LANDED! THE POSSIBLE EAGLE HAS LANDED!"

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:09 am UTC

Bah. This remake of Stop the Pigeon sucks.

The rocket would do well in Wacky Races though.
I possibly don't pay enough attention to what's going on.
I help make architect's dreams flesh.

sfmans

Postby sfmans » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:06 am UTC

As image recognition technology advances, I look forward to the day that my phone has got an app that hooks into the device's camera and does a real-time identification of birds.

We were stood on the sea-front this last weekend looking at a group of birds picking over the pebbles, comparing them to the photos on the static RSPB app going
Plover?
No, wrong colour.
Oystercatcher?
No, the beak's wrong.
Duck?
You're getting bored now aren't you ...

førtito

Postby førtito » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:20 am UTC

If it is a duck resume countdown. Will make for a nice meal afterwards.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:40 am UTC

I didn't realise beret guy worked at NASA

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:07 pm UTC

sfmans wrote:As image recognition technology advances, I look forward to the day that my phone has got an app that hooks into the device's camera and does a real-time identification of birds.

We were stood on the sea-front this last weekend looking at a group of birds picking over the pebbles, comparing them to the photos on the static RSPB app going
Plover?
No, wrong colour.
Oystercatcher?
No, the beak's wrong.
Duck?
You're getting bored now aren't you ...

There are apps that at least claim to make a good guess if you feed it location, color, size, etc. I'm not convinced they work very well. In your case, it was almost certainly a sanderling :D

Meanwhile -- I know rather a lot of people who would do exactly what's going on in the comic. Heck, I risk a multicar pileup on major highways by staring at hawks, vultures, eagles, osprey, and anything that might turn out to be a (literal) rara avis when I should be steering the car. So far I'm alive. :P

ETA: That looks kinda like a TItan-IV . Any other guesses?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:57 pm UTC

We'll leave the spacing to the interns. Rockets are easy. It's not ornithology, you know.

We will not go to space today.

PsiSquared

Postby PsiSquared » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:06 pm UTC

Pretty birds are cool. Obviously any reasonable person would have stopped the countdown under these circumstances.

So where's the joke?

Quey

Postby Quey » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:02 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Meanwhile -- I know rather a lot of people who would do exactly what's going on in the comic. Heck, I risk a multicar pileup on major highways by staring at hawks, vultures, eagles, osprey, and anything that might turn out to be a (literal) rara avis when I should be steering the car. So far I'm alive. :P

Please don't. I don't know why so many are in so much of a hurry or just too lazy that they will actively threaten other people's lives while driving. Yesterday I had to file a second traffic related police report this month after I was run off the road by an idiot who would rather make a dangerous and clearly illegal maneuver than wait for the left turn lane to clear. Driving is the number one cause of death for some age groups. Why do we permit this?

I'm gonna be the one focusing on getting this rocket off the ground, so hopefully I'll be able to get away from all these crazy folk who think that a negligent death has somehow a different outcome than murder.

sfmans

Postby sfmans » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:19 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:In your case, it was almost certainly a sanderling :D

Sorry, wrong colour body, but thanks for the try!

I'm still holding out for oystercatcher despite the beak of the oystercatchers on Google images being a bit longer than the birds we were looking at.

We were on the Thames Estuary at Southend just by the pier, if that helps any ...

cryptoengineer

Postby cryptoengineer » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:52 pm UTC

PsiSquared wrote:Pretty birds are cool. Obviously any reasonable person would have stopped the countdown under these circumstances.

So where's the joke?

So NASA is likely to do for a bird what they would not do for a bat?

http://gizmodo.com/5173385/shuttle-ridi ... imaginable

ce

thatheard

Postby thatheard » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:58 pm UTC

True story. I was working at the Air Force's rocket lab in the California high desert, and we were testing a "Bates" (standardized test) motor with a new formulation of fuel. As we got below ten in the countdown, a crow flew up and landed right behind the nozzle. This created quite a stir in the control room, but in the end it flew away in time to avoid becoming crow-B-Q.

alanbbent

Postby alanbbent » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:57 pm UTC

The wing marks concern me, but to be fair, wing marks always concern me.

Cervisiae Amatorem

Postby Cervisiae Amatorem » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:01 pm UTC

rhomboidal wrote:"THE POSSIBLE EAGLE HAS LANDED! THE POSSIBLE EAGLE HAS LANDED!"

A more perfect alt text than the original I have never seen. Good show!

keithl

Postby keithl » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:45 pm UTC

SpaceX hopes for a rocket that can land for re-use. NASA launch engineers study birds because they hope to develop a rocket that can perch in a tree, build a nest, and lay rocket eggs.

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:04 pm UTC

keithl wrote:SpaceX hopes for a rocket that can land for re-use. NASA launch engineers study birds because they hope to develop a rocket that can perch in a tree, build a nest, and lay rocket eggs.

Great idea. They could then test the fledglings for flying ability, and select the best, thus evolving a good space ship. The main cost would be the large quantities of metals and plastics they'd need to supply to the nestlings, to grow them to full size.

Maybe they could collect the remains of the failed ones, grind them up a bit, and feed them to the nestlings. The ships would obviously also need to develop a digestive system that converts scrap metal and plastic into functioning body parts.

But it sounds like a viable approach, and as with nature, in a few million years we'd have several species of highly-functional space ships.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:50 pm UTC

jc wrote:But it sounds like a viable approach, and as with nature, in a few million years we'd have several species of highly-functional space ships.

Or something that reproduces effectively despite our interference...

Coyoty

Postby Coyoty » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:42 pm UTC

sfmans wrote:As image recognition technology advances, I look forward to the day that my phone has got an app that hooks into the device's camera and does a real-time identification of birds.

You could take a picture and upload it to Google Images.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:55 pm UTC

Trying to track and identify a bird with a heavy rocket is a bit like trying to kill a fly with a machine gun ... no, wait, come back, I meant it was a bad idea ... never mind.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:30 am UTC

jc wrote:in a few million years we'd have several species of highly-functional space ships.

Most of them named Ryo-Ohki.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:02 am UTC

jc wrote:
keithl wrote:SpaceX hopes for a rocket that can land for re-use. NASA launch engineers study birds because they hope to develop a rocket that can perch in a tree, build a nest, and lay rocket eggs.

Great idea. They could then test the fledglings for flying ability, and select the best, thus evolving a good space ship. The main cost would be the large quantities of metals and plastics they'd need to supply to the nestlings, to grow them to full size.

Maybe they could collect the remains of the failed ones, grind them up a bit, and feed them to the nestlings. The ships would obviously also need to develop a digestive system that converts scrap metal and plastic into functioning body parts.

But it sounds like a viable approach, and as with nature, in a few million years we'd have several species of highly-functional space ships.
Won't grinding the remains of the failed ones and feeding them to the desirable ones lead to mad rocket disease?
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:47 am UTC

Quey wrote:Please don't. I don't know why so many are in so much of a hurry or just too lazy that they will actively threaten other people's lives while driving. Yesterday I had to file a second traffic related police report this month after I was run off the road by an idiot who would rather make a dangerous and clearly illegal maneuver than wait for the left turn lane to clear. Driving is the number one cause of death for some age groups. Why do we permit this?

I'm gonna be the one focusing on getting this rocket off the ground, so hopefully I'll be able to get away from all these crazy folk who think that a negligent death has somehow a different outcome than murder.

Dunning–Kruger effect. These poor drivers don't believe that they are poor drivers, and thus think that they can drive safely while distracted, despite all evidence to the contrary.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:04 am UTC

This scenario feels more realistic.
Wait.
Did I really ....?

(redundant)
Spoiler:
launch_status_check_updated.png
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:50 am UTC

Did you just accidentally put an OTTification in the wrong thread?
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:04 am UTC

RogueCynic wrote:Won't grinding the remains of the failed ones and feeding them to the desirable ones lead to mad rocket disease?

Now I really want to set an RPG on board a living starship (think a Leviathan from Farscape) that's gone insane.

Muswell

Postby Muswell » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:07 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:
RogueCynic wrote:Won't grinding the remains of the failed ones and feeding them to the desirable ones lead to mad rocket disease?

Now I really want to set an RPG on board a living starship (think a Leviathan from Farscape) that's gone insane.

So... an RPG set on board Talyn from Farscape?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”