1599: "Water Delivery"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Djehutynakht

Re: 1599: "Water Delivery"

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:20 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm just sticking with the tap water.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:53 pm UTC

ThemePark wrote:
Whizbang wrote:
ThemePark wrote:Ahem.

Spoiler:

I don't know what that is.

A Google search implies that is a Danish candy of some sort.

You would be correct. Danish salt licorice. And the word is also "invented" by Pippi Longstocking, as it turns out.

While spunk is a good source of energy and tastes salty, it won't make you strong enough to lift a horse.
Oh and kids, don't eat spunk until you're at least 16. :roll:

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:55 pm UTC

Around here we can buy purified water from dispensers outside the grocery store for 25¢ a gallon. I don't care how bad your tap water is (and ours, which comes from our well, is pretty unfit-for-drinking); if you're paying a dollar for a tiny little bottle you are getting ripped the fuck off.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

biohazard

Postby biohazard » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:59 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
biohazard wrote:I mean expensive to buy and expensive to install the sort of tankless unit you would have installed generally costs 2 to 3 times what a tanked gas unit costs. The electric units I have seen generally cost even less then a tank unit but ether don't put out much hot water or use crazy amounts of current. Which comes to the other expense of having one retrofitted they require a bigger gas line then then a tanked unit you might be fine if your heater is next to the furnace but with some houses they require more gas then the line from the main can provide and thats crazy expensive to have improved. I looked at the pay back period of a good tanked vs a good tankless unit a few years back and its on the order of 11 to 14 years and thats provided your install costs are fairly low. Yeah the infinite hot water thing is nice but personally I would rather have hot water when the power goes out. My gas tanked units are purely mechanical beasts they don't require anything other then gas and that there pilot light be lit to heat water where as even a gas tankless requires electricity to run the wigits that detect the demand for hotwater when you turn on the tap.

Interesting that there's the difference, but I guess the factors that CB lists are probably some of the reasons. Perhaps our gas mains have higher pressure or wider pipes, since I've never heard of the gas supply being the limiting factor.

The "hot water when the power goes out" thing is seriously annoying, since the electric supply is only needed to for some low-power electronics, a couple of solenoids and a fan; for the central heating the pump needs to run too. Also the electronics have been getting increasingly complicated, with many possible failure modes. In the old days it would just have been a few relays, so would have been more reliable and easier to diagnose. Still, even today's boilers will probably be looked back on as a golden age. In a couple of years' time boilers will stop working because their version of QuickTime is out of date.

*shrugh* basic physics the tankless units put out a lot more heat for the whole instant hot water thing. A 50 or 40 gallon tanked unit is generally in the 35 to 40k btu range where as the sort of instant water heater that can run a whole house is in the 180k to 200k btu range. Thats for units rated at 8.4 or 9.5 GPM with a 35 degree f temp rise. Your using something like 5 times as much gas. The closest comparable electric unit I could easily find does 5.46 GPM and pulls 36 kilowatts.... idk how it is where you live but the typical house built in say the last 40 years here has a 48kw service and and older house might only have 60 or 100 amp service.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:17 pm UTC

Sorry, I was sleeping.

That hyperloop though!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:28 pm UTC

In The Diamond Age, pipes full of all sorts of things go to peoples' houses where they have 3D printers or something assemble the stuff into what they need.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

DanD

Postby DanD » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:28 pm UTC

biohazard wrote:*shrugh* basic physics the tankless units put out a lot more heat for the whole instant hot water thing. A 50 or 40 gallon tanked unit is generally in the 35 to 40k btu range where as the sort of instant water heater that can run a whole house is in the 180k to 200k btu range. Thats for units rated at 8.4 or 9.5 GPM with a 35 degree f temp rise. Your using something like 5 times as much gas. The closest comparable electric unit I could easily find does 5.46 GPM and pulls 36 kilowatts.... idk how it is where you live but the typical house built in say the last 40 years here has a 48kw service and and older house might only have 60 or 100 amp service.

But you use it only when the hot water is flowing. The tank style heaters sit there keeping the water hot when you're at work or sleeping. I believe, net, the tankless heaters end up being more efficient in a residential setting.

And upgrading your electrical service isn't that difficult or expensive.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:43 pm UTC

Moose Anus wrote:In The Diamond Age, pipes full of all sorts of things go to peoples' houses where they have 3D printers or something assemble the stuff into what they need.
The Feed!
Yeah, that was pretty cool.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:47 pm UTC

@biohazard: Sorry, I meant that I wasn't sure why there was such a difference in the relative prevalence of the two types of boiler. As you say, the reason why the instant heaters need a higher gas flow rate is basic physics: the tanked one can take an hour to heat up enough water for a six minute shower, whilst the instant one has to deliver that power in real time. My boiler is 35kW (gas), which is somewhat less than your 200k btu/hr which Google tells me is around 60kW. Also remember that the same boiler does the central heating: that works out to around 500W per square metre of my flat if it were running non stop. It doesn't actually run non stop but on a very cold day it might need to put out that power constantly for a few hours to get the flat up to temperature (19°C). The point is that the power requirements for central heating and instant water heating are the same order of magnitude.

(EDIT: typo)
Last edited by orthogon on Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

keithl

Postby keithl » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:39 am UTC

I tried ordering the Amazon River from Amazon (free Brazil with every purchase!) but I got an email in Portuguese saying it was back ordered.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:41 am UTC

Maybe you could at least buy a bridge....
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

armandoalvarez

Postby armandoalvarez » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:52 am UTC

biohazard wrote:
Copper Bezel wrote:Yeah, in the US, the norm is to have a tank that's gradually heated and refills, obviously itself from the mains.

Whizbang wrote:Spunk means semen where I come from too (North-Eastern USA), so I am not sure what the people behind the campaign were thinking.

I'm not sure how universal that is. Despite the many terms for semen I'm familiar with, that's not one I've encountered. And "spunk" is definitely used in quite a lot of contexts otherwise.

I've heard it used that way plenty of times I can see what they were going for but damn thats just hilarious. Bottle of spunk *giggles*.

Was gonna say I'm from oklahoma so its clearly not just the north eastern us where its a thing but I'm not sure I have heard anyone use the word here irl instead of someone on the internet.

I have lived in the Northeast U.S. for over 90% of my life, in the Philadelphia and NY area, and have never, ever heard "spunk" used for semen. Is it a New England thing? How do you guys react to the famous Mary Tyler Moore scene?

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:25 am UTC

armandoalvarez wrote:
biohazard wrote:
Copper Bezel wrote:Yeah, in the US, the norm is to have a tank that's gradually heated and refills, obviously itself from the mains.

Whizbang wrote:Spunk means semen where I come from too (North-Eastern USA), so I am not sure what the people behind the campaign were thinking.

I'm not sure how universal that is. Despite the many terms for semen I'm familiar with, that's not one I've encountered. And "spunk" is definitely used in quite a lot of contexts otherwise.

I've heard it used that way plenty of times I can see what they were going for but damn thats just hilarious. Bottle of spunk *giggles*.

Was gonna say I'm from oklahoma so its clearly not just the north eastern us where its a thing but I'm not sure I have heard anyone use the word here irl instead of someone on the internet.

I have lived in the Northeast U.S. for over 90% of my life, in the Philadelphia and NY area, and have never, ever heard "spunk" used for semen. Is it a New England thing? How do you guys react to the famous Mary Tyler Moore scene?

I'm in Boston. I have never heard the term in that usage. As for tank vs tankless systems, I priced the hardware for my home, it was roughly the same. My question would be longetivity. I don't remember seeing tanks with a warrantee longer than 15 years. How long does a tankless system last? Also, I have heard it was wise to let the cold water run at least 10 seconds before filling your drinking cup due to microbes.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:13 am UTC

Californian here, have heard "spunk" plenty often in both the "pep" and "semen" senses. In this context, the "semen" sense came to mind first.

It also reminds me of a... I think it was Japanese... electrolyte drink (like Gatorade) called "Sweat". Because it replenishes everything you lose when sweating, and there's nothing weird at all about drinking a bottle of Sweat™ after a hard workout.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Sharpless

Postby Sharpless » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:48 am UTC

I'm just going to be somewhat boring.

Well, regarding that hot water/cold water taps. In Sweden we have one tap, but "everyone" drinks from the tap.
One reason to not use hot water for drinking (or cooking) is usually copper. As a chemistry student, I measured the concentration of copper in both cold and hot tap water, and the result was that hot water contained 50 times more copper than the cold water.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:55 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:It also reminds me of a... I think it was Japanese... electrolyte drink (like Gatorade) called "Sweat". Because it replenishes everything you lose when sweating, and there's nothing weird at all about drinking a bottle of Sweat™ after a hard workout.

It is a Japanese thing, but the name is written in English. And yes, its name is intentional, for exactly the reason you state.

They do like borrowing English words and using them slightly differently like that. A Japanese "mansion" is what Americans would call a "condominium"... "tension" means excitement in the positive sense, not in the "tension headache" negative sense... There's even a Japanese term for words like that: wasei eigo (literally "made-in-Japan English").

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:46 am UTC

Heimhenge wrote:1. How do they ring the doorbell?
2. How would they deliver to an apartment?
3. What prevents a nefarious individual from shooting down a drone and stealing the merchandise?
1. Same way the postman does, i.e they wouldn't (or they'd just call you (kids today deserve to know the joys of talking to a fax machi~BRRRZZZZZZBIDIBIDIBIDIBOOOOOP)).

3. Funnily enough, the same thing that prevents a nefarious individual from punching a postman. I.e... nothing.

2. Same way the postman does, i.e to a curb-side receptacle.

Speaking of curb-side receptacles...
Whizbang wrote:Personally I think self-driving cars/trucks makes more sense for delivery than drones. Though this would also require curb-side receptacles and mechanical arms on the car.
Good news! We already have curb-side receptacles!

And if your next question is "what about VRS?", my answer is still going to be "same as the postman".
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:08 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Californian here, have heard "spunk" plenty often in both the "pep" and "semen" senses. In this context, the "semen" sense came to mind first.

Yeah, it's kind of just about ok where there's no ambiguity, otherwise I'm going to think of the playground slang meaning first. Especially if we're talking about a liquid, and worse still something you might be expected to drink. I also find it rather disturbing when a female is described as having it (but that might just be revealing my cis-chauvinism).

The OED's earliest citation for the "semen" sense is from 1890; that's quite late and obviously late enough to explain a transatlantic difference, but then again it's not the kind of thing that you'd necessarily write down. Here is the quotation, which is rather good, but beware that it may be NSFW!
Spoiler:
c1890 My Secret Life I. 87 It seemed to me scarcely possible, that the sweet, well dressed, smooth-spoken ladies..could let men put the spunk up their cunts.

Yu_p

Postby Yu_p » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:08 am UTC

I'm somewhat surprised that this thread didn't turn into a shame-on-them thread about the role of food companies in making people think tap water was low quality (when often it is higher quality then bottled water) and making sure that it doesn't improve where it actually is low quality. As an Austrian, reading about the use of bottled water in the US especially kind of stuns me...

Related: Is there actually a reason for the high chlorine content in US water? When I was in the US, I perceived the chlorine content of tap water to be significantly higher than the chlorine content of our pool... Being used to the relatively low-chlorine tap water in Austria it took some getting-used-to. The worst chlorine content I remember was the Airport in Washington though, where the drinking water stations smelled more like a public indoor pool.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:16 am UTC

I had a direct delivery of water today!
It fell out of the sky, and was collected by the roofs of the house and garage, then piped into a big tank.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:44 am UTC

biohazard wrote:*shrugh* basic physics the tankless units put out a lot more heat for the whole instant hot water thing. A 50 or 40 gallon tanked unit is generally in the 35 to 40k btu range where as the sort of instant water heater that can run a whole house is in the 180k to 200k btu range. Thats for units rated at 8.4 or 9.5 GPM with a 35 degree f temp rise. Your using something like 5 times as much gas. The closest comparable electric unit I could easily find does 5.46 GPM and pulls 36 kilowatts.... idk how it is where you live but the typical house built in say the last 40 years here has a 48kw service and and older house might only have 60 or 100 amp service.

Bingo. My house for example is sixty years old and would burn out the main circuit breaker before I even hit ten kilowatts. I have enough trouble with the breakers tripping when I try to use the microwave oven and the toaster at the same time.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:50 pm UTC

Yu_p wrote:As an Austrian, reading about the use of bottled water in the US especially kind of stuns me...

And yet, Austria's consumption per capita is only a bit less than the US, according to the report I lunk to above (91 litres/person/year compared to 107 l/p/yr). This page has a clickable map with more recent figures, though only for Europe. Germany is indeed pretty thirsty for the stuff, on 167.9 l/p/yr: second only to Italy. Yes, the Italy, where mains water was invented two millennia ago. To be fair, my German colleagues point out that they drink a lot of sparkling water, however, and the breakdown of production seems to support this.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:59 pm UTC

The problem, as I see it, is that tap water taste varies from house to house, and all of it tastes like it came from a rusty pipe. Bottled water has a much more consistent taste, has the illusion of being pure, and once you find one you like and can get it regularly you find all other water sub-par.

I recently saw in my local grocery store this and was immediately intrigued (and also thought of this). If bottled water no longer tastes like pipes, does that mean boxed water will no longer taste like plastic? If so, does it taste like paper or wax? Anyway, I'll be buying some next time I go just for curiosity.

Also, despite the above, I have no problem drinking, and often do, out of the tap at home and at friends' houses. I rarely encounter water so bad that it is undrinkable.

speising

Postby speising » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:04 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Yu_p wrote:As an Austrian, reading about the use of bottled water in the US especially kind of stuns me...

And yet, Austria's consumption per capita is only a bit less than the US, according to the report I lunk to above (91 litres/person/year compared to 107 l/p/yr). This page has a clickable map with more recent figures, though only for Europe. Germany is indeed pretty thirsty for the stuff, on 167.9 l/p/yr: second only to Italy. Yes, the Italy, where mains water was invented two millennia ago. To be fair, my German colleagues point out that they drink a lot of sparkling water, however, and the breakdown of production seems to support this.

Yeah, the relation is even more in favour of sparkling (what i think of when i hear "soda") for Austria: 5.8:1 vs. 3.9:1

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:24 pm UTC

orthogon wrote: This page has a clickable map with more recent figures, though only for Europe.

Wow, that site is skewed for bottled water. I agree with their reasons that drinking water is wise (from an health standpoint, a financial standpoint AND an environmental standpoint) but they completely ignore the tap water, which is even cheaper and far far better for the environment.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

masonwheeler

Postby masonwheeler » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:52 pm UTC

I think this is the third time I've seen XKCD treat the Hyperloop concept as some sort of joke or punchline. What exactly does Randall have against it? Given his clearly-expressed pro-science, pro-progress biases, I'd have thought he'd be enthusiastically in favor of it...

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:10 pm UTC

Most of the people who got any of those jokes probably had to look it up the first or second time, which makes Randall a hyperloop popularizer. What more do you want?
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

cryptoengineer

Postby cryptoengineer » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:17 pm UTC

masonwheeler wrote:I think this is the third time I've seen XKCD treat the Hyperloop concept as some sort of joke or punchline. What exactly does Randall have against it? Given his clearly-expressed pro-science, pro-progress biases, I'd have thought he'd be enthusiastically in favor of it...

It's a cool idea, and I'd love to see the prototype up and running. But...

There are reasonable questions about the viability of the idea; you can find them in the Hyperloop wikipedia article.

For a start, passengers won't be able to get up and go to the restroom during travel, even if they become ill. They're
locked in their chairs until they get to a station. Imagine if there's a breakdown and the train gets stuck between
stations for hours.

pt

operagost

Postby operagost » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:06 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Arancaytar wrote:Amazon's water delivery might win on latency, but it'll never compare to its namesake in bandwidth.

Quite possibly it would win on taste, too. And alligator content (depending on whether this is considered a good or a bad thing).

Flumble wrote:Also, instead of ordering bottled water, start campaigns to get proper water purification. If you can't drink from the tap, you're basically not a civilised country. :roll:

I don't think that's so much the issue. As far as I know, the EU sets limits for water purity and I believe that these are more stringent than those for bottled water. Certainly somebody told me once* that the "cell count" in bottled water was higher than in tap water. The problem is that it's not socially acceptable in some cultures to drink tap water; and heaven forbid that you should serve it to your guests.

In the USA, it's not a social stigma for most people but in fact the municipal water just tastes disgusting. Rare is the city water that doesn't taste like either chlorine or swamp unless you run it through a filter first.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:50 pm UTC

... filters that exist, can be installed per-house, per-faucet, or per-pitcher at your pleasure, which are themselves only about as popular as bottled water.

she / her / her

Mirkwood

Postby Mirkwood » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:54 am UTC

masonwheeler wrote:I think this is the third time I've seen XKCD treat the Hyperloop concept as some sort of joke or punchline. What exactly does Randall have against it? Given his clearly-expressed pro-science, pro-progress biases, I'd have thought he'd be enthusiastically in favor of it...

"Hyperloop" is a punchline because everyone got in a big huff about it because Elon Musk discussed it, when he didn't invent the concept nor did he have any practical proposal to make in furtherance of actually developing one. So it was a total non-event.

Tova

Postby Tova » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:00 am UTC

I'm convinced that xkcd is now just going for the "Relevant XKCD" market.

The Old Wolf wrote:Scott Adams had this idea in 2002. If it is to be assumed that Munroe meant "as a kid" to be in the 80s, then his inspiration came long before the one that showed up in Dilbert.

This did make me laugh, though.

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:22 am UTC

operagost wrote:In the USA, it's not a social stigma for most people but in fact the municipal water just tastes disgusting. Rare is the city water that doesn't taste like either chlorine or swamp unless you run it through a filter first.

Wow, what sucky parts of the US have you lived in? I've lived in or visited a bunch of different places across the country—mostly but not exclusively West Coast—and only a few have had nasty tap water. NYC and Long Beach were bad, but most of the SF Bay Area was fine. San Francisco used to be bad—living there was the first time I switched to bottled—but they've cleaned up their act a lot in recent years. Kansas City had perfectly decent water when I was there last, and Des Moines was fine when I was a kid.

I'm not saying you're wrong; there's a lot of places in the US I haven't spent much time in. But your claim definitely doesn't match my experience.
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

CatCube

Postby CatCube » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:15 am UTC

The proposal as delivered was backwards. It proposed a bridge hundreds of miles long, apparently missing the fact that bridges are the most expensive portion of a transportation corridor, while land is cheap (if you're not in a city). Then, the proposal uses cost estimates for bridging that are absolutely bonkers, off by a factor of at least 10.

The only thing that I can figure is that Musk assumed that his proposal was building thousands of tiny bridges, taking advantage of the economies of scale that implies. The problem is that he was proposing to build one bridge hundreds of miles long, with all the economies of scale that implies.

spacedunce5

Postby spacedunce5 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:38 am UTC

ucim wrote:
cryptoengineer wrote:AIUIA.

Stupid question time: What is this short for?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:41 am UTC

spacedunce5 wrote:
ucim wrote:

Stubbing your toe real hard.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

cryptoengineer

Postby cryptoengineer » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:06 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
spacedunce5 wrote:
ucim wrote:

Someone messed up the quoting levels. Ucim wrote that, not me.

I think AIUIA = As I Understand It, Anyway.

pt

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:26 pm UTC

cryptoengineer wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
spacedunce5 wrote:
ucim wrote:

Someone messed up the quoting levels. Ucim wrote that, not me.

I think AIUIA = As I Understand It, Anyway.

pt

Misattributed quote pyramid anyone? Could be fun!

she / her / her

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:42 pm UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:Misattributed quote pyramid anyone? Could be fun!

Last time we did something like that was Klear's "horse in aisle five / house full of traps" madness with the conversation going on in the subject line. Let's not go there again. (Whatever happened to Klear, anyway?)

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:04 pm UTC

AIUIA is "As I Understand It Anyway". Or "Anyway, It Understand I As". It's dromipalenic.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”