1604: "Snakes"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Copper Bezel

Re: 1604: "Snakes"

Postby Copper Bezel » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:23 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Copper Bezel wrote:Chutes and adders: The most depressing board game ever.

Apologies if this is obvious, but the original game name was "Snakes and Ladders," so you've managed an excellent spoonpunerism there.

I spent like five minutes deciding whether "chutes" over "snakes" improved the gag or was just distracting. In retrospect, yes, the game of "nothing but bloody snakes and other snakes" is definitely the most depressing version.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

GuesssWho

Postby GuesssWho » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:31 pm UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
Copper Bezel wrote:Chutes and adders: The most depressing board game ever.

Apologies if this is obvious, but the original game name was "Snakes and Ladders," so you've managed an excellent spoonpunerism there.

I spent like five minutes deciding whether "chutes" over "snakes" improved the gag or was just distracting. In retrospect, yes, the game of "nothing but bloody snakes and other snakes" is definitely the most depressing version.

Unless you're fond of snakes :p

Coyoty

Postby Coyoty » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:16 pm UTC

A snake! A snake! Ω, it's a snake!

MrT2

Postby MrT2 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:01 am UTC

All snakes are actually venomous, just those that kill by constriction have repurposed their venom glands to produce a mucus that makes their food slide down easier, the mucus still contains traces of venom (see bottom left factoid: http://qi.com/infocloud/snakes )

puppysized

Postby puppysized » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:12 am UTC

Is it just me, or does the comic look too small? Maybe it's just short, but it reminds me more of a thumbnail than a comic...

iabervon

Postby iabervon » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:06 am UTC

Mikeski wrote:
iabervon wrote:I don't think snakes come in 24Ω. That snake's probably actually 2.40MΩ.

Then it would be banded red-yellow-green. The snake in question (whether king or coral) is red, yellow, and black.

It could be banded red-yellow-black-yellow-red, since 2% resistors get another band. Of course, it's not a standard value, but snakes don't care all that much about IEC recommendations.

Fun fact: if you put 240V across a coral snake and it draws 10A, it's more than twice as likely to not bite you as if it draws 100µA.

humanalien

Postby humanalien » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:27 am UTC

If red touching yellow = dangerous and red touching black = safe...

I guess that means Germany is both deadly and innocuous.

Sounds about right.

I discovered a distance between two points that's shorter than a straight line! It's called a straight line segment.

http://www.abbyandnorma.com
http://www.erikahammerschmidt.com

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:11 am UTC

botanydave wrote:
Archgeek wrote:The incantation I learned was
Ancient Scouting Meme wrote:Red on Black, friend of Jack,
Red on Yellow, kills a fellow.

The different structure kinda helps keep the lines separated.

This is essentially how I learned it as well.
"Red & Black, Friend of Jack;
Red & Yellow, Harm a Fellow."

Of course, while Red & Yellow, the Coral Snake, is venomous, they are pretty docile. If you see one in your path, you can literally step over it, and be on your way. The worst way to begin any interaction with a coral snake is to pick it up (whether you are wanting to check its resistance, or to try to move it off the trail), just like our friends in the comic have done. Blast.

Red & Blacks (Milk Snakes) are used a lot in horrible Hollywood movies involving [supposedly dangerous] snakes, because no one is supposed to be able to tell the difference. I just think the movies are dull; like using a crash dummy in a scene, and we're supposed to believe it was the hero falling off'f the building. "Get back! He's got a jelly doughnut!"
If that last line is a Monty Python reference, it should be "Get back! He's got a banana!". See:https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KLqICft0pWf3YAobUsnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByZWc0dGJtBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDBGdwb3MDMQ--?p=Monty+Python+Defend+Against+Banana&vid=0f7ef10c9a04a7602e9a5b41a27436b7&turl=http%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DWN.5%252fxI2yXnxGXfZKn0pjA21g%26pid%3D15.1%26h%3D230%26w%3D300%26c%3D7%26rs%3D1&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DpiWCBOsJr-w&tit=Monty+Python+-+Self-Defense+Against+Fruit&c=0&h=230&w=300&l=393&sigr=11brvb8nh&sigt=119piqrqq&sigi=12na2c7ec&age=1166980424&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Av&fr=yhs-mozilla-001&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=mozilla&tt=b
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:59 am UTC

Coyoty wrote:A snake! A snake! Ω, it's a snake!

Ω that's a terrible pun!
In all fairness...

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:41 pm UTC

humanalien wrote:If red touching yellow = dangerous and red touching black = safe...

Sounds about right.

Whereas there's nothing at all safe about Belgium.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:16 pm UTC

CharlieP wrote:
humanalien wrote:If red touching yellow = dangerous and red touching black = safe...

Sounds about right.

Whereas there's nothing at all safe about Belgium.

No prophet points for this one, buddy. :? We know that already.
Hell, a major news portal already titled: "Belgium - a security issue for Europe".
Yes, I know, the security issue is rather with the foreign policy of the so-called western world. But with club law established you tend to be cautious about the things you are writing with font size 100%.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

yakkoTDI

Postby yakkoTDI » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:40 pm UTC

Ωy! I am going to badger you for better puns.

Coyoty

Postby Coyoty » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:35 pm UTC

yakkoTDI wrote:

Ωy! I am going to badger you for better puns.

There isn't mushroom for improvement.

kiyyik

Postby kiyyik » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:01 am UTC

Bitten
By
Reptiles
On
Your
Groin?
Bad
Vipers!
Gee
Whiz!

DavesNotHere

Postby DavesNotHere » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:15 am UTC

Brilliant!
As a reformed electrical engineer I clapped my hands when I saw this one!

I think Randall needs to add something to his warning about the hazards of reading xkcd while consuming food or beverages.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:44 am UTC

botanydave wrote:Red & Blacks (Milk Snakes) are used a lot in horrible Hollywood movies involving [supposedly dangerous] snakes, because no one is supposed to be able to tell the difference. I just think the movies are dull; like using a crash dummy in a scene, and we're supposed to believe it was the hero falling off'f the building. "Get back! He's got a jelly doughnut!"

And it's a snake. It's got smooth scales. You could probably just paint it if it's supposed to look like some species in particular. Heck, if you got the right species and gave it a fake hood you could probably pass it off as a cobra if need be. Easier than relying on trick camerawork or glass panels that we can totally see the reflections in, Mr. Spielberg, trust us, we can.

Mental Mouse wrote:Of course, snakes don't actually want to be a threat, which is why they have those bright colors and scary sounds for warning.

Never really thought about it that way, but it's true. The venom isn't really for self-defense; it's for catching prey. But hey, when all you have is a hammer...
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:26 am UTC

Well, bright colors don't do anything by themselves - unless there's another species around that can back up the threat.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:57 pm UTC

But the real question is: if you have an infinite number of such snakes arranged in a square lattice, what's the resistance between consecutive vertices?

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:09 pm UTC

Coyne wrote:

Ω that's a terrible pun!

Or, "ΩMG" , which is vaguely like mega :roll:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:14 pm UTC

botanydave wrote:This is essentially how I learned it as well.
"Red & Black, Friend of Jack;
Red & Yellow, Harm a Fellow."

Of course, while Red & Yellow, the Coral Snake, is venomous, they are pretty docile. If you see one in your path, you can literally step over it, and be on your way. The worst way to begin any interaction with a coral snake is to pick it up (whether you are wanting to check its resistance, or to try to move it off the trail), just like our friends in the comic have done. Blast.

Red & Blacks (Milk Snakes) are used a lot in horrible Hollywood movies involving [supposedly dangerous] snakes, because no one is supposed to be able to tell the difference. I just think the movies are dull; like using a crash dummy in a scene, and we're supposed to believe it was the hero falling off'f the building. "Get back! He's got a jelly doughnut!"

Here's a helpful guide, for snakes in the U.S. anyway:
http://snakebuddies.net/2010/09/03/red- ... or-snakes/

Summary: Red touching Yellow ("kills a fellow") is almost always a deadly coral snake when in the U.S. (ESPECIALLY if the head is black), so best leave those alone - and the U.S. is short on antivenin, so it's best to have animal control come out to take care of it. This pattern can also be a harmless Shovel-nosed snake, but they don't have black heads.

Red touching black ("friend of Jack") is almost always a harmless snake (king or milk snake) - but this only applies to snakes native to the US, so definitely don't try to take this knowledge with you to South America (there are pictures of a coral snake found there that looks almost exactly like the harmless scarlet kingsnake of the eastern US), and really take care with any snakes you see. Also, random mutations can produce aberrations of deadly snakes that look like harmless ones. So don't play with snakes unless you really are somewhat of an expert, and of course treat all living creatures with a little respect...
Last edited by mathmannix on Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

david.windsor

Postby david.windsor » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:10 pm UTC

Too funny, I'd just sorted a bunch of loose resisters last week. :roll:
"All those ... moments, will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain."

Mokele

Postby Mokele » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:03 pm UTC

botanydave wrote:Red & Blacks (Milk Snakes) are used a lot in horrible Hollywood movies involving [supposedly dangerous] snakes, because no one is supposed to be able to tell the difference.

The funniest offender, IMHO, was "Snakes On A Plane", which at one point used a Boelen's Python as a "dangerous snake", when in reality, the most damage it could do would be if it were in a plane full of herpers, who would promptly all murder each other over who gets to keep it. It was like seeing a horror movie where someone's running in terror from The Goose That Laid The Golden Egg, or if Freddy Krueger made you dream of driving a Ferrari.

Mental Mouse wrote:Even a constrictor of the depicted size could squeeze her arm hard enough to cut off the blood flow, and she'd probably need her buddy's help to pry it off. Also, even a constrictor's bite hurts, let alone if it turns out you're allergic to reptile saliva.

Booze once again solves everything: snakes cannot stand the taste. If one bites and hangs on, just splash anything fairly alcoholic into its mouth (including Listerine), and it'll let go immediately. I can personally attest that it works for snakes up to 12 feet long, even if they're in "feeding mode" (as opposed to defensive bites).

MrT2 wrote:All snakes are actually venomous, just those that kill by constriction have repurposed their venom glands to produce a mucus that makes their food slide down easier, the mucus still contains traces of venom (see bottom left factoid: http://qi.com/infocloud/snakes )

Yeah, but that's stretching the definition of "venomous" to ridiculous extremes, and Fry's gotten a fair bit of pushback on that.

Copper Bezel wrote:Well, bright colors don't do anything by themselves - unless there's another species around that can back up the threat.

Actually, a variety of species use them as "flash colors" (to startle predators) or to confuse predators about the location of the head. A few even use them for camouflage, particularly against dappled lighting on the forest floor or hidden among flowers.
"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw" - J. Burns, Biograffiti

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:05 pm UTC

Mokele wrote:
Copper Bezel wrote:Well, bright colors don't do anything by themselves - unless there's another species around that can back up the threat.

Actually, a variety of species use them as "flash colors" (to startle predators) or to confuse predators about the location of the head. A few even use them for camouflage, particularly against dappled lighting on the forest floor or hidden among flowers.

Not to mention the colors that are there for mating purposes rather than predator warning purposes.

Mokele

Postby Mokele » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:20 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Mokele wrote:

Not to mention the colors that are there for mating purposes rather than predator warning purposes.

Now that you mention it, I'm not actually aware of any snake species which uses visual cues for mating (even though most can see color). Most seem to use scramble competition, a few have territories established by physical strength/size, and some others compete for females in a sort of mob (like anacondas or garter snakes). Maybe there's some I'm not aware of, or maybe the incredibly sophisticated sense of smell just makes it pointless.
"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw" - J. Burns, Biograffiti

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:27 pm UTC

For a number of years now I've been trying to figure out the point of this spider's coloration:

Found it on my car window one morning as I was leaving for work. The whole creature, legs and all, is about a quarter-inch in diameter, but looks bigger here because I opened the door to get a less cluttered background for the picture. Also, the colors are slightly washed out by the cheap PDA I was using in those days; the little guy is virtually fluorescent Mountain Dew color.

As I took the picture, I said something to the effect of "gave up entirely on that whole protective camouflage concept, didn't we?"

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:22 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:The whole creature, legs and all, is about a quarter-inch in diameter

I was wondering in what world "a quarter-inch diameter" meant "a quarter the diameter of a car tire", before I realized he was still on the window, and not sitting on the ground by your car.

Gaaaaah. Do not want!

drachefly

Postby drachefly » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:40 pm UTC

I'm reminded of the comic where someone did Snakes and Ladders where the snakes just killed you outright, and plotted the probability that you'd reach any given square, for all the squares on the board.

Now, THAT was a grim game. The probability of reaching 100 was very low.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”