1608: "Hoverboard"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HES

Re: 1608: "Hoverboard"

Postby HES » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:52 pm UTC

Some areas would be completely inaccessible otherwise, so passing through people is certainly "not cheating".
He/Him/His Image

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:04 pm UTC

Euler wrote:Was there anyone able to beat the game in 9s? I've been speedrunning it and having trouble breaking the 10s barrier.

http://puu.sh/lzoeu/ef9e787fe0.png

EDIT: Doable in 9. http://puu.sh/lzoUf/126f1f023e.png

17 coins. Oh dear, you're really missing out.

sford wrote:Any idea which way it is "supposed" to be? I.e. if there are tricks to beat the game without being able to go through people, then I would like to find them. But if Safari is just not doing it right and you are supposed to be able to go through people, then winning with Safari is simply impossible.

There are two layers to the world: one with all the boundaries, i.e. the parts you're supposed to collide with, and one overlay with visual details. (they can be highlighted in the interactive maps that people have linked in this thread) It's definitely weird that (your) Safari believes you should collide with the overlay.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:19 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
sford wrote:Any idea which way it is "supposed" to be? I.e. if there are tricks to beat the game without being able to go through people, then I would like to find them. But if Safari is just not doing it right and you are supposed to be able to go through people, then winning with Safari is simply impossible.

There are two layers to the world: one with all the boundaries, i.e. the parts you're supposed to collide with, and one overlay with visual details. (they can be highlighted in the interactive maps that people have linked in this thread) It's definitely weird that (your) Safari believes you should collide with the overlay.

So the "You shall not pass!" guy actually means what he says in Safari?
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

eidako

Postby eidako » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:25 pm UTC

eidako wrote:Anyone have a database dump of individual images

Went ahead and did it myself. I scanned a rectangular region from (900,-1120) to (1120,-1050), resulting in 3440 images with 5.53MiB of data, occupying 15.7MiB unpacked. As has previously been mentioned, solid terrain has a RGB of #000000, nonsolid terrain #010101.

I wonder why the coordinates are so arbitrary, rather than having (0,0) as the center or corner.

sford

Postby sford » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:24 pm UTC

Echo244 wrote:So the "You shall not pass!" guy actually means what he says in Safari?

Yep. :-) (Mind you, I haven't upgraded to the very latest mac s/w, so your milage might vary.)

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:07 pm UTC

sford wrote:I just visited as much as I could with Safari (MB Air), but could not get into lots of places due to people standing in my way. I went in with FireFox, and lo and behold, I could go right through people (and lots of other objects).

As a random guess... what are your display settings? Is it possible your display is set to only display 16-bit colour, or something? Because:
eidako wrote:As has previously been mentioned, solid terrain has a RGB of #000000, nonsolid terrain #010101.
It's possible Safari's canvas manipulation functions might be rounding those off to the same thing, possibly because that's what's actually being displayed? While Fx/Chrome/etc are returning the raw image data, regardless of your display settings? I'unno, just a guess...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:29 pm UTC

Is the chap with the plant a Silent Running reference?
I'm alive because the cats are alive.
The cats are alive because I'm alive.
Specious.

Lucia

Postby Lucia » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:13 pm UTC

To what is the "Death Star plans are not in the main computer" joke a reference?
Wildhound wrote:Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:31 pm UTC

Lucia wrote:To what is the "Death Star plans are not in the main computer" joke a reference?

In the original Star Wars movie, when searching the ship carrying Princess Leia, someone reports to Darth Vader that the Death Star plans are not in the main computer. If the rebels had had the sense to leave a copy of the plans well hidden on the main computer, maybe the Empire would have given up and left rather than searching for the droids, etc.

Mind you, the imperial forces were pretty sloppy all round - if they hadn't been desperate to save ammunition, the entire movie would have been derailed when C3PO and R2D2's escape pod got blown up...

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:42 pm UTC

Console Mods that I find fun:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

window.i.am.gandalf = true
explorer.opts.jumpForce = -10
explorer.opts.speed = 10
window.ze.goggles()

function distance(x1, y1, x2, y2) {
       var dx = x2 - x1;
       var dy = y2 - y1;
       return Math.sqrt(dx * dx + dy * dy);
   }

function angle(x1, y1, x2, y2) {
       var dx = x2 - x1;
       var dy = y2 - y1;
       return Math.atan2(dy, dx) * 180 / Math.PI;
   }

function renderRadar() {
       var mindist = 10000000000;
       var closest = {
           x1:512278.0, y1:-549613.0
       };
       var linecolor = "red";
       for (var S = 0; S < explorer.objects.length; S++) {
          var I = explorer.objects[S];
          if (!I.got) {
              var dist = distance(explorer.pos.x, explorer.pos.y, I.x1, I.y1);
              if (dist < mindist) {
                  mindist = dist;
                  closest = I;
              }
          }
       }
       if (mindist == 10000000000) {
           mindist = distance(explorer.pos.x, explorer.pos.y, closest.x1, closest.y1);
           if (document.getElementById("radar").style.backgroundColor != "red") {
               document.getElementById("radar").style.backgroundColor = "red";
           }
           linecolor = "green";
       } else {
           if (document.getElementById("radar").style.backgroundColor != "green") {
               document.getElementById("radar").style.backgroundColor = "green";
           }
       }
       var ang = angle(explorer.pos.x, explorer.pos.y, closest.x1, closest.y1);
       var indicator = "";
       if (ang > 112.5 || ang < -112.5) {
           indicator += "left";
       }
       if (ang < 67.5 && ang > -67.5) {
           indicator += "right";
       }
       if (ang > -157.5 && ang < -22.5) {
           indicator += " up";
       }
       if (ang > 22.5 && ang < 157.5) {
           indicator += " down";
       }
       document.getElementById("radar").innerHTML = "Distance: " + mindist.toFixed(1).toString() + "<br/>";
       document.getElementById("radar").innerHTML += indicator + " (" + -ang.toFixed(1).toString() + "°)";
       document.getElementById("radar").innerHTML += "<div id='circle' style='border: 1px solid black; border-radius: 50px; width: 100px; height: 100px; position:absolute; top:50px; left:25px'/>";
       document.getElementById("radar").innerHTML += "<div id='line' style='width: 50px; height: 1px; background-color: " + linecolor + "; position:absolute; top:100px; left:75px; transform:rotate(" + ang + "deg); transform-origin:0% 0%'/>";
   }

var d = document.createElement("div");
   d.id = "radar";
   d.style.position = "fixed";
   d.style.left = "0px";
   d.style.top = "0px";
   d.style.width = "150px";
   d.style.height = "160px";
   d.style.border = "1px solid red";
   d.style.zIndex = "2";
   d.style.backgroundColor = "green";
   d.style.color = "#8f8";
   document.body.appendChild(d);

setInterval(renderRadar, 100);

This makes you move faster, jump higher, gives you a wizard hat, the goggles that tell you if there is transparent material directly adjacent, and a top-left corner radar system that points you to the nearest coin (distance, and rough compass direction).

Most places on the map that are neat have a coin at/near/on the way to them, so this will find you every location.

I'd grab the first 17 coins first, to get them out of the way, and not accidentally "score" when trying to give you a better radar result.

(To use the above, open your browser console -- look through the menus, under developer/debugging/etc. Then paste the above. It will probably say "pasting disabled until you type some magic phrase". Type that magic phrase, hit enter, then copy/paste the above.

Source stolen from: http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/1608

So both me and explainxkcd.com would have to be in cahoots to screw you over for the above script to be hostile. In general, copy/pasting scripts to that window can be used as a method to "attack" your browser.

Most of the above code is the implementation of the coin-radar. The hat, faster speed, higher jump and goggles are built-into the game.)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Shadowman615

Postby Shadowman615 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:53 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
Euler wrote:Was there anyone able to beat the game in 9s? I've been speedrunning it and having trouble breaking the 10s barrier.

http://puu.sh/lzoeu/ef9e787fe0.png

EDIT: Doable in 9. http://puu.sh/lzoUf/126f1f023e.png

17 coins. Oh dear, you're really missing out.

Well, perhaps not. Collecting all the coins in the "Official Play Area" in the shortest amount of time might be a worthy competition itself?

willpellmn

Postby willpellmn » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:41 pm UTC

I saw no way to get out of the initial area. You go up the ramp, grab a coin, go over "insert coins here", grab another coin, and that's it. The coins respawn, but I didn't see any point to it.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:01 pm UTC

Attached two possible exit points (of seven).
Hoverboard Exit Point 1.png
Hoverboard Exit Point 1.png (15.69 KiB) Viewed 12590 times

Hoverboard Exit Point 2.png
Hoverboard Exit Point 2.png (10.93 KiB) Viewed 12590 times

Hit "Up" multiple times. Allows infinite jumping.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:25 am UTC

Deva wrote:Attached two possible exit points (of seven).
>snip<
Hit "Up" multiple times. Allows infinite jumping.

Or you can get out of the initial area without discovering multi-jumps - I got all the way to the farthest right before discovering that you can multi-jump because flying sideways into a wall drifted me up it.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:48 am UTC

Yeah, I only got as far as "oh, I have a double jump, sweet" by the time I got to the top of the Game Area.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:17 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:I .... I ... I still have one of those ... *watery eyes* *gulp* Almost 40 years old.
Spoiler:
slink.png

You have a 40 year old slinky - does it still slink? Every one I've ever had has become tangled beyond hope after about eight descents. (Entirely down to operator error, I should add: no criticism of the slinky intended).
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:04 pm UTC

So I've been trying to use the various scripts posted in the thread, using the Browser Console in Pale Moon, but I always get an error, like "TypeError: window.i is undefined". So can anyone tell me how on Earth I can get the scripts working?
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

yan

Postby yan » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:22 pm UTC

ThemePark wrote:So I've been trying to use the various scripts posted in the thread, using the Browser Console in Pale Moon, but I always get an error, like "TypeError: window.i is undefined". So can anyone tell me how on Earth I can get the scripts working?

Try the Web Console instead

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:57 pm UTC

yan wrote:
ThemePark wrote:So I've been trying to use the various scripts posted in the thread, using the Browser Console in Pale Moon, but I always get an error, like "TypeError: window.i is undefined". So can anyone tell me how on Earth I can get the scripts working?

Try the Web Console instead

I did, but it's pretty much the same as the Browser Console, and gives me the same error, so no luck there.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

AMDmi3

Postby AMDmi3 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:46 pm UTC

I've made a standalone versions of hoverboard game, with some additional features:

- You may play offline
- Smaller resource requirements
- Arbitrary (e.g. as large as you want) window size
- Game state is preserved when you exit the application
- You may save up to 10 locations and teleport to them at will
- Explorable world map

The forum denies me from posting links:
Project page: github . com / AMDmi3 / hoverboard-sdl
Releases incl. windows binaries: github . com / AMDmi3 / hoverboard-sdl / releases

eidako

Postby eidako » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:48 am UTC

I was playing around with the files from this, and somehow a chain of "It'd be cool if..."s and "Since I put that in, I need to add..."s transmogrified into a full-blown Super Metroid crossover game over the course of three weeks.

Features:
* locate and upgrade powerups hidden throughout the map
* discover many secrets along the way
* minimum 20 minutes of playtime
* designed around a Dualshock-style controller, playable with a keyboard
* bad programming practices and Indianapolis 500 of race conditions

Here's evidence from multiple sources that it probably isn't malware. The only red flag comes from Qihoo, a Chinese AV I've seen throw false positives for nearly everything.

NinjaWolf064

Postby NinjaWolf064 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:58 pm UTC

eidako wrote:I was playing around with the files from this, and somehow a chain of "It'd be cool if..."s and "Since I put that in, I need to add..."s transmogrified into a full-blown Super Metroid crossover game over the course of three weeks.

Do you still have this? The link does not work anymore.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”