1634: "In Case of Emergency"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

MagerValp

Postby MagerValp » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:28 am UTC

Great minds think alike I guess: new account so I get shot down by the spam filter, but google glennz false alarm.

Linux0s

Postby Linux0s » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:14 am UTC

Title Text: I keep first aid kits in those emergency lockers. Sure, it's expensive to have them installed in the wall, but at least for those ones there's no need to pay extra for safety glass.

The hammer release kit is a bit more of a challenge.
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

rhomboidal

Re: 1634: "In Case of Emergency"

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:35 am UTC

The manual for the glass repair kit just says, "Buy a new one."

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:19 am UTC

"This has been a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. This was only a test. If this had been an actual emergency, you would have heard a lot of screaming and hollering and carrying on."

(What's the deal with all these "Keep Calm and Carry On" posters, anyway? When I was growing up "carrying on" was the exact opposite of "keeping calm".)

javboy

Postby javboy » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:43 am UTC

reminds me of a SMBC comic
number 1421 as i remember. but it is good

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:10 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:(What's the deal with all these "Keep Calm and Carry On" posters, anyway? When I was growing up "carrying on" was the exact opposite of "keeping calm".)

Oh, those annoy me immensely, for at least two reasons.

Firstly, the original posters were created when people had really serious shit to worry about: being killed or having their homes destroyed by bombs that fell night after night; losing their loved ones in a faraway battlefield; having their entire way of life overturned by a successful Nazi invasion and occupation. Modern life is pretty stressful, granted, but really we need to get a grip, and associating our modern day woes with those existential threats feels to me somewhat offensive to people who managed to hold their heads up and get on with it. Not just get on with it, either; innovating, organising, planning for the future: I find it stunning when I read about the stuff people were daring to dream about in the dark days of WWII: from the post-war National Health Service to the founding of Oxfam. I doubt I'd have had the courage, I'd have been all "well the Nazis will be in power in a year or so's time, what's the point working on this stuff?"

Aside from that, the formula was stretched way beyond breaking point. I could just about accept something that was of the form "Keep calm and [two-word verb phrase in the imperative]", but when I started seeing things like "Keep calm it's your birthday" - well, that's about as clever as a turd. I'd always had the impression that approximately zero thought was going into those slogans, and that was borne out when it turned out that they were being generated by computer, with ultimately disastrous results such as the unforgettable "Keep calm and rape" and "Keep calm and hit her" T-shirts.
</rant>
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:04 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:"This has been a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. This was only a test. If this had been an actual emergency, you would have heard a lot of screaming and hollering and carrying on."

(What's the deal with all these "Keep Calm and Carry On" posters, anyway? When I was growing up "carrying on" was the exact opposite of "keeping calm".)

It's been done to the max here.

And, you young punk, when I was growing up, We were in Kansas, carrying on.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Minstrel

Postby Minstrel » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:20 pm UTC

I'm feeling a bit dumb about the title text today. Is the joke that you have to break the glass with your hands, thus needing the first-aid kit?

Edit: I think maybe I get it. I usually think of those break glass things as holding fire hoses or extinguishers, but I guess sometimes it's first aid kits? So it's sort of a joke that you can pay for an expensive locker instead and not have to buy safety glass?
Last edited by Minstrel on Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:41 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:(What's the deal with all these "Keep Calm and Carry On" posters, anyway? When I was growing up "carrying on" was the exact opposite of "keeping calm".)

Wiki sez: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_Calm_and_Carry_On
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Aiwendil

Postby Aiwendil » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:12 pm UTC

Minstrel wrote:I'm feeling a bit dumb about the title text today. Is the joke that you have to break the glass with your hands, thus needing the first-aid kit?

Edit: I think maybe I get it. I usually think of those break glass things as holding fire hoses or extinguishers, but I guess sometimes it's first aid kits? So it's sort of a joke that you can pay for an expensive locker instead and not have to buy safety glass?

No, the joke is that if the thing behind the glass is a first aid kit, you can use regular glass instead of safety glass, because if you get hurt when you break the glass, hey, you've got a first aid kit.

Minstrel

Postby Minstrel » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:42 pm UTC

Aiwendil wrote:
Minstrel wrote:No, the joke is that if the thing behind the glass is a first aid kit, you can use regular glass instead of safety glass, because if you get hurt when you break the glass, hey, you've got a first aid kit.

That's kind of what I was thinking at first, but then I googled emergency locker, and, as far as I can tell, emergency lockers are big metal things with no glass involved.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:39 am UTC

orthogon wrote:Firstly, the original posters were created when people had really serious shit to worry about: being killed or having their homes destroyed by bombs that fell night after night; losing their loved ones in a faraway battlefield; having their entire way of life overturned by a successful Nazi invasion and occupation. Modern life is pretty stressful, granted, but really we need to get a grip, and associating our modern day woes with those existential threats feels to me somewhat offensive to people who managed to hold their heads up and get on with it. Not just get on with it, either; innovating, organising, planning for the future: I find it stunning when I read about the stuff people were daring to dream about in the dark days of WWII: from the post-war National Health Service to the founding of Oxfam. I doubt I'd have had the courage, I'd have been all "well the Nazis will be in power in a year or so's time, what's the point working on this stuff?"

Gotta say I have a somewhat mixed feeling about this line of logic. Ideally, comparing your seemingly smaller-scale struggles to larger, iconic ones is exactly what you do - that's the idea of "heroes", and much of the function of venerating historical figures. At the same time, the posters making reference to the slogan are universally tongue-in-cheek, and in some sense really are meant to trivialize both your problems and the ones being referred to. Finally, I'm USian, and the USian version of respecting the people who survived WWII, the "greatest generation" meme, is universally bullshit and makes any other WWII-related veneration smell funny to me, too.

Really, though, I don't think it has much to do with any of the actual people who were alive for WWII. It clearly has obliterated the meaning of the phrase, which is a symbol of national pride. In most cases, I tend to support obliterating the meaning of symbols of national pride. I can't help associating them with national pride, which has been notably the cause of a couple of really notable global conflicts.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:22 pm UTC

I think the reason the Keep Calm posters took off is that the original is very British and epitomises the stiff-upper-lip stereotype. National pride is not always a bad thing - it may have fueled wars, but it's also inspired people to excel. Pride gets a bad rep as one of the seven, but it continues to exist because it provides a survival advantage.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:15 pm UTC

I can see CB's point, and I think my second cause of annoyance is probably the main one, that the whole gag was barely borderline amusing to begin with and the joke wore thin after about ten variants. Of course it's OK to use extreme examples as a metaphor for an undesirable but non-life-threatening situation: you can be "under fire", a meeting can be a "battlefield" and an attempted build yielding hundreds of compile errors could be "carnage". So by extension it should be OK to repurpose these posters as moral support for people faced with such situations. The worst offenders are those that lazily attempt to apply it to an inappropriate situation like a birthday.

I profoundly hope that the " greatest generation " concept is indeed BS: i.e. that any generation would have risen to the challenge; I also hope I don't have to find out whether I'm right. Similarly I don't see it necessarily as a point of national pride particularly: ordinary people all over Europe, on both sides, were called upon to tolerate the same and worse horrors. It's just easier to spin that stoicism into a patriotic narrative for those on the winning side.

I think what amazes me most is the human ability to adjust to and normalise the most extreme situations, and conversely to dramatise the most trivial. Someone once pointed out to me that if aliens landed, it would seem totally normal after a month or so. In fact the really exceptional people are those who refuse to recalibrate their moral yardstick, and say no, this will not stand.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”