1637: "Salt Mine"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Reecer6

1637: "Salt Mine"

Postby Reecer6 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:26 am UTC

Title text: "This one is a little bland. Pass the saltshaker?"

Eating a lot of salt at one time is really difficult, so I'd totally just do this so I could ask "Oh, are you a bit SALTY?" to people who are frustrated or angry while throwing a bucket-full of salt on them.

lorb

Re: 1637: "Salt Mine"

Postby lorb » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:02 am UTC

Please explain? I don't get this one at all
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
http://decodedarfur.org/

MetaThought

Postby MetaThought » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:08 am UTC

MOAR salt for the win.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:11 am UTC

Dear Randall,

Eww.

Sincerely,
141/93 mmHg
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

JJCalem

Postby JJCalem » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:25 am UTC

That would totally be me. Even if it is bad for you I love salt, even by its self.

Eternal Density

Re: 1637: "Saltmax"

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:56 am UTC

HOMF NOMF NOMF for weirdest onomatopoeia I've seen in a while.
Reecer6 wrote:Eating a lot of salt at one time is really difficult, so I'd totally just do this so I could ask "Oh, are you a bit SALTY?" to people who are frustrated or angry while throwing a bucket-full of salt on them.
You can trawl the internet for 160 days, and all you'll find is more salt.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

mdog

Postby mdog » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:03 am UTC

Now you know what it felt like back in the day. After a while, no one got it. Bizarrely I was connected to almost all parties.
Lived in Cleveland, got started in Brookhaven, did post grad study at Michigan, and I liked salt. By a twist of fate, however, I had nothing to do with the IMB, other than thinking it was a cool idea. At least at the start. Originally designed to show decay lifetime of a proton. They schlepped water with 10exp31 protons into a bucket a couple of hundred feet below Lake Erie in a salt mine near Cleveland. Watched for a year. Should have spotted a few decays. Nada. Upgrade! Yeah! Four times as sensitive now. Yeah! And... Quadruple nada. Hey, maybe protons only decay when they want to. Oooohhh. Consciousness among the baryons. Well, it kinda put the kibosh on certain expected-to-be-shown aspects of a Grand Unified Theory that had been eluding us all, maybe with the exception of Shakyamuni Buddha, but who really knows? Anyway, one good thing did come out of the 4x sensitivity of the detector.... It detected a bunch of neutrinos, yes, those evalusive little suckers, when a nearby star went nova. 1987. I mean, how lucky can one get? It was a very good year for the neutrino people. I'm not sure that any of my babbling elucidates Randalll'a cartoon, except perhaps to note that the time in the mine, waiting for one proton to decay in a whole year, may have been a tad dull. You know, you couldn't drink the water. Duh. "No, that proton didn't decay. Bob drank it." But, there was all that salt, which sadly, loses its perceived saltiness the more you eat. Well, I would guess that was not an enormous problem given where they were. I was indeed impressed that they maintained the civility to use a salt shaker. Yet, what else was there to do when out best laid schemes gang aft agley an' leave us naught but grief an' pain for promised joy? Civility should should at least prevail. I imagine that it was not so much a good time for the proton people and the GUTS people. Balance in the universe maintained, as the universe went on spinning as if in greased grooves.
Last edited by mdog on Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
一期一會
This one time, this one opportunity to meet each other.

Murderbot

Postby Murderbot » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:31 am UTC

lorb wrote:Please explain? I don't get this one at all

It's actually a group of people who made a suicide pact. They're killing themselves by eating a lethal amount of salt.
mdog wrote:Hey, maybe protons only decay when they want to. Oooohhh. Consciousness among the bosons.

But protons are fermions. Or do you mean the hydrogen atom or water molecule?
Last edited by Murderbot on Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

KarenRei

Postby KarenRei » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:10 am UTC

mdog wrote:Hey, maybe protons only decay when they want to.

The electrons.... they're ANGRY!

teelo

Postby teelo » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:30 am UTC

New business idea: sell blood pressure medicine across the road.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:42 am UTC

How come the stuff my doctor wants me to use instead of salt is the same stuff they use to carry out executions by lethal injection?

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:48 am UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:Dear Randall,

Eww.

Sincerely,
141/93 mmHg

I've just realised I never actually knew what the units for blood pressure were until now. I wonder why we (the UK) still use mmHg when most other units we use in medicine have gone fully SI ("weight" in kg, height in metres, simple eye tests in metres[1], kJ instead of Calories[2] etc.). What does the rest of the world use?

[1] i.e. 5/5 instead of 20/20. Apparently I have 6/5 vision, but need glasses for reading!
[2] Although Calories are still pretty universal in the public sphere.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:13 pm UTC

CharlieP wrote:

Eww.

Sincerely,
141/93 mmHg

I've just realised I never actually knew what the units for blood pressure were until now. I wonder why we (the UK) still use mmHg when most other units we use in medicine have gone fully SI ("weight" in kg, height in metres, simple eye tests in metres[1], kJ instead of Calories[2] etc.). What does the rest of the world use?

[1] i.e. 5/5 instead of 20/20. Apparently I have 6/5 vision, but need glasses for reading!
[2] Although Calories are still pretty universal in the public sphere.

Absolutely: instead of mmHg, divide by 0.007500616827042 to get Pascals. Then ask 1e7 MDs to have a clue what that means.

I find it a bit of a wonder that the USandA doesn't do blood pressure in automobile-mass per football-field-squared :D
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:04 pm UTC

Personally, I think we should measure blood pressure in atmospheres. You don't want to know how much blood is stuffed into my veins.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:11 pm UTC

CharlieP wrote:

Eww.

Sincerely,
141/93 mmHg

I was about to post the same thing. The Great Wiki suggests that the "gold standard", as used in clinical trials, uses a proper mercury manometer, so perhaps it's related to that. Or perhaps blood pressure is one of those things that might be crucial in an emergency situation, and you can't risk people misunderstanding the units.

Another thing: what's being measured appears to be gauge pressure: if you live in Mexico City, does your heart pump less hard, or does your BP read off the chart?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

heathenwench

Postby heathenwench » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:21 pm UTC

Please ignore our vinegar fountain and chip machine...

mdog

Postby mdog » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:36 pm UTC

Murderbot wrote:

mdog wrote:Hey, maybe protons only decay when they want to. Oooohhh. Consciousness among the bosons.

But protons are fermions. Or do you mean the hydrogen atom or water molecule?

No, sadly, I actually meant "baryons". Thanks for the catch. It was late, and I had obviously forgotten the fundamental rule that one should not write, much less publish, in the absence of brain activity above the brain stem. I just corrected two other typos also. Perhaps it was all that salt...
一期一會
This one time, this one opportunity to meet each other.

Murderbot

Postby Murderbot » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:00 pm UTC

mdog wrote:No, sadly, I actually meant "baryons". Thanks for the catch. It was late, and I had obviously forgotten the fundamental rule that one should not write, much less publish, in the absence of brain activity above the brain stem. I just corrected two other typos also. Perhaps it was all that salt...

Yes, especially on something as consequential as a web forum you should triple check everything for scientific accuracy before posting.

Thank you for having worked on trying to solve one of the fundamental problems in physics, by the way!

Nonmomentus

Postby Nonmomentus » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:22 pm UTC

I was disappointed. After having read "salt mine" in the context of science, I expected a reference to Aperture Science.

ShadeTail

Postby ShadeTail » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:05 pm UTC

I think it's supposed to be that a bunch of salt-addicts are eating an entire mine of salt, and using the trappings of science to disguise what they're up to. But I'm only guessing.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:37 pm UTC

From the alt text they seem to be eating something other than salt, because they are adding the salt to whatever they're eating. Are they eating the cosmic rays?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Tonyo

Postby Tonyo » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:50 pm UTC

My first guess was "quark flavors". Maybe they use salt to enhance them...

Solra Bizna

Postby Solra Bizna » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:05 pm UTC

I used to crave salt so much that I would eat it directly, in shocking quantities. Turns out this happens to some people who get a lot of purified "table salt" in their diet but are also deficient in minerals that are found in natural sources of salt (like magnesium). If I eat sea salt, even a small amount, my salt craving disappears in a matter of minutes and I have a normal appetite for salt. (This can be awkward in the middle of a meal I've just salted "to taste".) If I go a week or two with table salt or no salt, the craving starts coming back and I catch myself doing things like dumping half a shaker of salt onto a single potato.

I watched a documentary about salt mining where an interviewee said that there are two responses to long-term exposure to so much salt: either you start putting way too much of it on your food so you can taste it at all, or you become so sick of salt that you never use it in cooking again.

I also remember reading somewhere that a high-sodium diet is bad for you only if you already have high blood pressure, and otherwise does not increase your risk of developing high blood pressure or any other health problem.[citation needed]

Pfhorrest wrote:From the alt text they seem to be eating something other than salt, because they are adding the salt to whatever they're eating. Are they eating the cosmic rays?

At first I hoped they were just eating salt, but the latter interpretation seems more correct to me. Cosmic rays do probably taste better with salt.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:16 pm UTC

About the alt text, I read it as: "This lump of salt is a little bland. Pass the saltshaker?".
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

KevinRS

Postby KevinRS » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:17 pm UTC

Solra Bizna wrote:I used to crave salt so much that I would eat it directly, in shocking quantities. Turns out this happens to some people who get a lot of purified "table salt" in their diet but are also deficient in minerals that are found in natural sources of salt (like magnesium). If I eat sea salt, even a small amount, my salt craving disappears in a matter of minutes and I have a normal appetite for salt. (This can be awkward in the middle of a meal I've just salted "to taste".) If I go a week or two with table salt or no salt, the craving starts coming back and I catch myself doing things like dumping half a shaker of salt onto a single potato.

I watched a documentary about salt mining where an interviewee said that there are two responses to long-term exposure to so much salt: either you start putting way too much of it on your food so you can taste it at all, or you become so sick of salt that you never use it in cooking again.

I also remember reading somewhere that a high-sodium diet is bad for you only if you already have high blood pressure, and otherwise does not increase your risk of developing high blood pressure or any other health problem.[citation needed]

Pfhorrest wrote:From the alt text they seem to be eating something other than salt, because they are adding the salt to whatever they're eating. Are they eating the cosmic rays?

At first I hoped they were just eating salt, but the latter interpretation seems more correct to me. Cosmic rays do probably taste better with salt.

I just figured they were wanting the salt shaker to salt the salt.

Sombrero Cat

Postby Sombrero Cat » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:37 pm UTC

Got to get your electrolytes, been saying it for years.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:43 pm UTC

Ooh! I like having lunch! Today I'm having this huge pile of salt!
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Muswell

Postby Muswell » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:09 pm UTC

As long as they don't accidentally tunnel through to the neighbouring pepper mine and cause a massive explosion, I don't see any problem with this scenario.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:26 pm UTC

Muswell wrote:As long as they don't accidentally tunnel through to the neighbouring pepper mine and cause a massive explosion, I don't see any problem with this scenario.

Or a flood from a local acidified lake...

david.windsor

Postby david.windsor » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:47 pm UTC

Tonyo wrote:My first guess was "quark flavors". Maybe they use salt to enhance them...

oh yah, quark, thats a potato chip flavour in Canada
"All those ... moments, will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain."

Mental Mouse

Postby Mental Mouse » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:39 pm UTC

This would be me and my whole mother's side of the family -- heavy enough salt intake that "do we have enough salt shakers" was only half a joke at family gatherings. Also, anomalously low blood pressure -- I'm not the only one in the family who's been turned down to donate blood because my reading was too low. I don't think it's the mineral deficiency, because some of us have gone in for sea salt on occasion.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:30 am UTC

Salt mines?
umm...

Gold mines I have heard of.
Gold mines and dry cleaning solution

Gold mines find quiet cosmic evidence.
I've heard it said, "It is quiet work."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxMGWQMoR10

Maybe salt mines are so dull bright people turn to eating the experiment.
Maybe.

Salt mines are sometimes too pretty to eat.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wieliczka_Salt_Mine
https://www.google.com/search?q=Wielicz ... 80&bih=526
Last edited by addams on Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:23 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:08 am UTC

mdog wrote:

Now you know what it felt like back in the day. After a while, no one got it. Bizarrely I was connected to almost all parties.
Lived in Cleveland, got started in Brookhaven, did post grad study at Michigan, and I liked salt. By a twist of fate, however, I had nothing to do with the IMB, other than thinking it was a cool idea. At least at the start. Originally designed to show decay lifetime of a proton. They schlepped water with 10exp31 protons into a bucket a couple of hundred feet below Lake Erie in a salt mine near Cleveland. Watched for a year. Should have spotted a few decays. Nada. Upgrade! Yeah! Four times as sensitive now. Yeah! And... Quadruple nada. Hey, maybe protons only decay when they want to. Oooohhh. Consciousness among the baryons. Well, it kinda put the kibosh on certain expected-to-be-shown aspects of a Grand Unified Theory that had been eluding us all, maybe with the exception of Shakyamuni Buddha, but who really knows? Anyway, one good thing did come out of the 4x sensitivity of the detector.... It detected a bunch of neutrinos, yes, those evalusive little suckers, when a nearby star went nova. 1987. I mean, how lucky can one get? It was a very good year for the neutrino people. I'm not sure that any of my babbling elucidates Randalll'a cartoon, except perhaps to note that the time in the mine, waiting for one proton to decay in a whole year, may have been a tad dull. You know, you couldn't drink the water. Duh. "No, that proton didn't decay. Bob drank it." But, there was all that salt, which sadly, loses its perceived saltiness the more you eat. Well, I would guess that was not an enormous problem given where they were. I was indeed impressed that they maintained the civility to use a salt shaker. Yet, what else was there to do when out best laid schemes gang aft agley an' leave us naught but grief an' pain for promised joy? Civility should should at least prevail. I imagine that it was not so much a good time for the proton people and the GUTS people. Balance in the universe maintained, as the universe went on spinning as if in greased grooves.

An old episode of "Law and Order" explained your results. A physicist tested for the decay of protons but did not find any. I turns out protons were decaying but not the way they expected, so the equipment wasn't picking up the decay.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

J%r

Postby J%r » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:36 am UTC

Solra Bizna wrote:I used to crave salt so much that I would eat it directly, in shocking quantities. Turns out this happens to some people who get a lot of purified "table salt" in their diet but are also deficient in minerals that are found in natural sources of salt (like magnesium). If I eat sea salt, even a small amount, my salt craving disappears in a matter of minutes and I have a normal appetite for salt. (This can be awkward in the middle of a meal I've just salted "to taste".) If I go a week or two with table salt or no salt, the craving starts coming back and I catch myself doing things like dumping half a shaker of salt onto a single potato.

I heard from people that went through some hazing ritual that if you keep the salt too long in your mouth it starts bleeding. That's why in college hazings you drink the beer immediately after getting spoonful of salt in your mouth. Not sure if it's true as I brush my teeth with some very salty toothpaste.

StClair

Postby StClair » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:33 am UTC

Reecer6 wrote:Personally, I think we should measure blood pressure in atmospheres. You don't want to know how much blood is stuffed into my veins.

"The human body contains over 12 gallons of blood, sometimes more, under high pressure."
-- Rules of Anime, #18

Solra Bizna

Postby Solra Bizna » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:46 am UTC

J%r wrote:I heard from people that went through some hazing ritual that if you keep the salt too long in your mouth it starts bleeding. That's why in college hazings you drink the beer immediately after getting spoonful of salt in your mouth. Not sure if it's true as I brush my teeth with some very salty toothpaste.

I have only ever seen that kind of spontaneous bleeding happen with straight salt, undiluted by food or drink, deliberately pressed onto part of the mouth for minutes at a time. (This is, incidentally, an excellent---though excruciating---treatment for recurring apthous ulcers.)

Murderbot

Postby Murderbot » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:30 am UTC

Tonyo wrote:My first guess was "quark flavors". Maybe they use salt to enhance them...

Maybe they're eating hashes or bombs.
david.windsor wrote:oh yah, quark, thats a potato chip flavour in Canada

Quark is a kind of cottage cheese. Salt is a potato chip flavor in many places.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:45 pm UTC

I am guessing that this is a reference to the IMB Detector. Why did they build that in a salt mine? I understand that they did it to stop cosmic rays from interfering with the experiment, but how would a salt mine help. My two guesses are that being far underground reduces the effects of cosmic rays, or that salt, which is made of two strongly charged ions, absorbs cosmic rays.
"You are not running off with Cow-Skull Man Dracula Skeletor!"
-Socrates

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:39 pm UTC

My understanding was something along the lines of,

1. "Hey, I wonder if we could rent out this massive enclosed hole in the ground that we've produced as a side effect of our salt business?"

2. "Hey, I wonder where we could find a massive enclosed hole in the ground?"

1 & 2. "Heeeey."
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:49 pm UTC

This one in Zipaquirá, near Bogotá, Colombia, isn't as ornate but is pretty awesome in terms of scale.

My guess is that for geological reasons it's possible to remove salt in large, regular shapes, which leaves you with an eminently useable underground space. As I recall, the Colombian mine consisted of 10m×10m×20m cuboids joined by a tunnel. Presumably other types of mineral deposit are found in seams that the miners have to follow, and what you're left with isn't as useful. Salt mines have been used for all sorts of purposes, from archives to seed banks.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”