1639: "To Taste"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Linux0s

1639: "To Taste"

Postby Linux0s » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:10 am UTC

Title Text: Look, recipe, if I knew how much was gonna taste good, I wouldn't need you.

Did the recipe mention a forklift?
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

HES

Re: 1639: "To Taste"

Postby HES » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:37 am UTC

Don't leave a stove unattended, Cue!
He/Him/His Image

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:52 am UTC

Is this to counteract the time spent in the salt mine?

*edited to use the right words.
I'm alive because the cats are alive.
The cats are alive because I'm alive.
Specious.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:18 am UTC

The Moomin wrote:Is this to counteract the time spent in the salt mine?

Yes, this setup is for dark matter detection. (mostly ants)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:23 am UTC

I'm hoping this is a build up to 1642: "Umami".
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:37 am UTC

This one gave my a much needed grin.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:08 pm UTC

Despite what some people have said about the apparent yumminess of raw salt (hint: it's not my bag), I think many of us would readily consider sugar as the handy snack. (Add recipe to taste. No, wait, too much! Now I need to go and get another three boxes of sugar...)

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:10 pm UTC

Aaaaannnd, away we go with the "English is multi-parsable" game. Let's re-organize the sentence to make it clearer what was (not) meant:

To taste, add sugar. Implication: you shalt not taste prior to a tribute of sugar!

Now, To Serve Mankind, on the other hand...
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:53 pm UTC

I've been having the same conversation with people at all the dollar stores here lately, in service of my looking for bottled iced teas. At some point I mention that I want the unsweetened types (always in short supply on the shelves) and sweeten them myself, leading to my having to explain that when I sweeten a bottle of tea, I add about ¼ of the sweetener they seem to think is appropriate at the bottling plant.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:00 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:I've been having the same conversation with people at all the dollar stores here lately, in service of my looking for bottled iced teas. At some point I mention that I want the unsweetened types (always in short supply on the shelves) and sweeten them myself, leading to my having to explain that when I sweeten a bottle of tea, I add about ¼ of the sweetener they seem to think is appropriate at the bottling plant.

Zero. That's how much sweetener is appropriate in iced tea. When I first saw iced tea in bottles in the US, I thought "great: there's a soft drink I can get behind". But, sadly, not. Your implication that unsweetened versions do in fact exist is great news. (By the way, I was mystified for a while as to why people kept saying "hot tea", until I realised that it's another retronym like "forward slash" - see 1638).

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:35 pm UTC

orthogon wrote: (By the way, I was mystified for a while as to why people kept saying "hot tea", until I realised that it's another retronym like "forward slash" - see 1638).

You sure they weren't saying "hottie" ? :twisted:
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:03 pm UTC

HES wrote:Don't leave a stove unattended, Cue!

So have you arranged a shift pattern for your kitchen?

Also, leaving the handle of the pan sticking out past the stovetop is a bigger safety no-no than leaving a stove (that may not be active) unattended...

Quey

Postby Quey » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:07 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
da Doctah wrote:I've been having the same conversation with people at all the dollar stores here lately, in service of my looking for bottled iced teas. At some point I mention that I want the unsweetened types (always in short supply on the shelves) and sweeten them myself, leading to my having to explain that when I sweeten a bottle of tea, I add about ¼ of the sweetener they seem to think is appropriate at the bottling plant.

Zero. That's how much sweetener is appropriate in iced tea. When I first saw iced tea in bottles in the US, I thought "great: there's a soft drink I can get behind". But, sadly, not. Your implication that unsweetened versions do in fact exist is great news. (By the way, I was mystified for a while as to why people kept saying "hot tea", until I realised that it's another retronym like "forward slash" - see 1638).

I prefer zero as well. What really got me steamed was that for months local stores stocked "diet tea" (sweetened with artificial garbage) before they started stocking unsweetened tea.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:20 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Aaaaannnd, away we go with the "English is multi-parsable" game. Let's re-organize the sentence to make it clearer what was (not) meant:

To taste, add sugar. Implication: you shalt not taste prior to a tribute of sugar!

Now, To Serve Mankind, on the other hand...

taste += sugar;

Lothario O'Leary

Postby Lothario O'Leary » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:40 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:

I don't think I've ever tried bottled iced tea of any kind (well, I did, but the stuff that passes for that name over here seems to have lots of artificial flavor and very little tea, and even the artificial flavor doesn't taste very similar to any kind of actual tea... it's so overly sweet that it's hard to notice the other weird taste sometimes, but either way it's still awful).
But I agree with the rest. "Two teaspoons or three?" How about 2/3 of a teaspoon? That's how much sugar I usually add to a typical cup of tea (that or one cube, because it's hard to add less than one sugar cube without adding zero, and sugar cubes tend to be slightly smaller than one teaspoon).

As for "hot tea" - I've only seen/heard the phrase "hot tea" used in reference to the "careful, this tea is hot" sort of tea (roughly between 100 and 200 degrees Fahrenheit - McDonald's is famously known for serving tea almost at the upper end of this range), as opposed to regular non-hot tea, which is usually close to room temperature (roughly between 50 and 100 °F), and is called "warm tea" or "cold tea" depending on whether it's above or below the room temperature.
(Any tea below 50°F (aka 10 degrees Celsius) would probably called something like "very cold tea"; I suspect that this category is likely to include most varieties of iced tea. Not the variety I'm used to, however - that's at the lower end of "hot tea" territory.)

cryptoengineer

Postby cryptoengineer » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:19 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:

It exists, though it seems weirdly hard to find. The brand I usually see is "Pure Leaf".

This is one of those things where there's a regional divide in the US. In the North (especially the Northeast) people prefer unsweetened. Go south of the Mason-Dixon Line, and they'll look at you like you've got two heads if you ask for it. Sweet ice tea rules the South.

Cygnwulf

Postby Cygnwulf » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:46 pm UTC

I live in Texas and I can concur about the two-headed monster thing. And speaking of retronyms, in many places it is Tea and UN-sweet tea. I've lost count of the number of times I've started a meal with unsweetened and had my glass refilled with sugar by a 'helpful' server who didn't give me time to remind them that it was supposed to be unsweetened.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:56 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:Zero. That's how much sweetener is appropriate in iced tea. When I first saw iced tea in bottles in the US, I thought "great: there's a soft drink I can get behind". But, sadly, not. Your implication that unsweetened versions do in fact exist is great news. (By the way, I was mystified for a while as to why people kept saying "hot tea", until I realised that it's another retronym like "forward slash" - see 1638).

Hot tea's just not common enough over here, since coffee fills the niche.

I guess I assumed that the reason iced teas sold in the "soft drink" universe seem to only come sweetened is to cover the taste of the ... the other parts of the drink that are pretending to be the tea. I know it's a thing in the south here, but adding sugar to (iced) tea is something I just don't understand the point of. (If I wanted sweetener in hot tea, which seems less dissonant in concept to me, I'd use honey.)
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Justin Lardinois

Postby Justin Lardinois » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:57 pm UTC

cryptoengineer wrote:This is one of those things where there's a regional divide in the US. In the North (especially the Northeast) people prefer unsweetened. Go south of the Mason-Dixon Line, and they'll look at you like you've got two heads if you ask for it. Sweet ice tea rules the South.

There's a difference between sweetened iced tea and sweet tea. The former is, like you'd expect, iced tea with a bit of sugar in it, and is usually just plain iced tea that the drinker poured a sugar packet into. The latter, what you're referring to in the south, is sugar water with a tea bag dragged through it a few times.

As a Californian, I'm not really a fan of tea in general. As an American, I still think the best place to put tea is in the Boston Harbor.

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:01 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
HES wrote:Don't leave a stove unattended, Cue!

So have you arranged a shift pattern for your kitchen?

Also, leaving the handle of the pan sticking out past the stovetop is a bigger safety no-no than leaving a stove (that may not be active) unattended...

We have an established shift pattern in our house for various appliances. Until they can be ruled out as decepticons one can't be too safe.
(terran/protoss/zerg/fascist fuck)

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:08 pm UTC

As a Californian (SF bay area in particular), I see loads of unsweetened or lightly sweetened iced tea on the shelves in my local markets. However, I prefer to make it myself, typically. Tea (hot) in the morning as well, thank you. One milk. No sugar.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Zylon

Postby Zylon » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:36 pm UTC

I have never in my life seen a recipe that called for adding sugar to taste. Salt, yes, too many times to count. But sugar? No.

I suspect Randall originally wrote this about salt, but changed it to sugar so it wouldn't seem repetitious of the recent salt mine strip.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:44 pm UTC

Still works better than the hypothetical sugar mine strip.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:57 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
orthogon wrote: (By the way, I was mystified for a while as to why people kept saying "hot tea", until I realised that it's another retronym like "forward slash" - see 1638).

You sure they weren't saying "hottie" ? :twisted:

Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:01 pm UTC

Is a sugar mine something that could conceivably exist? Like, is there some possible biological process that would leave loads of sugar around to get buried and discovered later, or does the chemistry just not work that way and it wouldn't be sugar anymore by the time anyone dug it up?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:11 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Is a sugar mine something that could conceivably exist? Like, is there some possible biological process that would leave loads of sugar around to get buried and discovered later, or does the chemistry just not work that way and it wouldn't be sugar anymore by the time anyone dug it up?

Well, there's the legendary Treacle Mines. And various 'seeps', but some of those are of substances which are even more euphemistically called 'treacle' and are a result of rather more repellent anthropogenic waste substances resurfacing...

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:16 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Is a sugar mine something that could conceivably exist? Like, is there some possible biological process that would leave loads of sugar around to get buried and discovered later, or does the chemistry just not work that way and it wouldn't be sugar anymore by the time anyone dug it up?

Well, if "Pfhorrest buying 1 Eg (1,000,000,000 kg) of frucose syrup (about 200 million dollars*), heating it to a boil (2 million dollars of kerosene**) and then pouring it in a cavern" counts as a biological process, then: probably.

I'm no biologist, but I'd say that sugar (in any decent quantity) in the open tends to be eaten by anything that lives, especially in moist conditions that allow for crystal growth. And that sugar under high pressure tends to become oil.

*alibaba offers HFCS somewhere in the range of 200-600 dollars per metric ton
**=1 Eg * 2 Jg⁻¹K⁻¹ * 70 K / 45 kJg⁻¹ * 1 m$g⁻¹, where most of the values are merely in the right order of magnitude; actually, add another factor of 10 because you'll lose a lot of heat just to the environment and you want to pre-heat the cavern.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:52 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:I'm no biologist, but I'd say that sugar (in any decent quantity) in the open tends to be eaten by anything that lives, especially in moist conditions that allow for crystal growth. And that sugar under high pressure tends to become oil.

Sugar's been used as a preservative for a long time precisely because there are a lot of things that can't survive amongst large concentrations of sugar because it leads to osmotic dehydration - the water concentration of solid sugar (or even syrup) is pretty low...

biohazard

Postby biohazard » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:16 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
Flumble wrote:I'm no biologist, but I'd say that sugar (in any decent quantity) in the open tends to be eaten by anything that lives, especially in moist conditions that allow for crystal growth. And that sugar under high pressure tends to become oil.

Sugar's been used as a preservative for a long time precisely because there are a lot of things that can't survive amongst large concentrations of sugar because it leads to osmotic dehydration - the water concentration of solid sugar (or even syrup) is pretty low...

Pretty sure he is referring to larger organisms (ants) then the various bacteria and molds that works against.

:edit: Surprised nobody mentioned discworld with its treacle and fat mines.

Lazy Tommy

Postby Lazy Tommy » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:23 am UTC

Being a European who moved to America in his thirties, I was puzzled as to why wait staff in (mainly Japanese and Chinese) restaurants would offer me "hot tea." Like, well, duh, of course I want my tea to be hot, not lukewarm! ... Back home, iced tea just doesn't exist.

But regarding the sweetness factor: whether iced or scalding hot, tea should never be served sweetened. Serve it with sugar on the side, so that those who like it sweet can make it sweet, while those who like it unsweetened aren't faced with the impossible task of removing the sugar they don't want from their otherwise fine beverage.

I prefer tea without sugar, whether hot or iced. In restaurants you can usually get unsweetened iced or hot tea, but when it's bottled, stupendous amounts of sugar or other sweeteners appear to be the norm here in the U.S. I tried Snapple and Nestea, and both make me feel like my teeth are melting and I need to start worrying about diabetes. Ugh.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:11 am UTC

Lazy Tommy wrote:while those who like it unsweetened aren't faced with the impossible task of removing the sugar they don't want from their otherwise fine beverage.
You mean you don't carry Maxwell's Demon around with you, to accomplish this very feat at will?

(Also useful for getting and maintaining half a cup of hot tea and half a cup of iced-tea, in the very same cup, from an originally near-uniform tepid and room-temperature beverage.)

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:35 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:

Ah, right, sugar doesn't get eaten or disappear (quickly) when it's somewhat dry.
Then, is there a way for sugar to get seperated from other organic material (within nature)? And for that matter, how does salt actually accumulate in salt mines?

Soupspoon wrote:
Lazy Tommy wrote:while those who like it unsweetened aren't faced with the impossible task of removing the sugar they don't want from their otherwise fine beverage.
You mean you don't carry Maxwell's Demon around with you, to accomplish this very feat at will?

I should really get me a soupspoon and stir backwards to get the sugar out of the water.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:22 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Then, is there a way for sugar to get seperated from other organic material (within nature)? And for that matter, how does salt actually accumulate in salt mines?

I don't know about sugar, but shallow seas and lakes where the main "outflow" is in the form of evaporation build up deposits of salt crystals, that, over geologic time, become underground salt deposits.

So a salt mine is often going to be the corpse of a sea or lake.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:12 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:I should really get me a soupspoon and stir backwards to get the sugar out of the water.

That's a very un-sweet tooth, you've got there! Are you sure that it is healthy to have un-added so much sugar? Wouldn't you rather have de-poured several packets of Sweet'n'Low from your drink, instead?

(I might have given myself the moniker of Teaspoon, instead, before you ask. But only via more convoluted means.)

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:51 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Image

I don't generally drink (hot) tea, but even I would find it weird to do so out of a coffee mug. Who came up with that design? Do they really not know the difference?

x7eggert

Postby x7eggert » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:17 am UTC

Also: How warm is warm? We have 280 K outside, it's pretty warm!

Lazy Tommy

Postby Lazy Tommy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:31 pm UTC

ps.02 wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Image

I don't generally drink (hot) tea, but even I would find it weird to do so out of a coffee mug. Who came up with that design? Do they really not know the difference?

What difference?
I don't have "coffee mugs" or "tea mugs" or whatever; I have a bunch of "mugs" that I use for drinking hot beverages in general, and milk.

x7eggert

Postby x7eggert » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:23 pm UTC

Lazy Tommy wrote:What difference?
I don't have "coffee mugs" or "tea mugs" or whatever; I have a bunch of "mugs" that I use for drinking hot beverages in general, and milk.

At least for some coffee mugs, everything you drink will taste like coffee. (Same for some tea mugs etc.)

If you have coated mugs and if they are kept clean, you won't notice much difference.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:21 pm UTC

x7eggert wrote:
Lazy Tommy wrote:What difference?

At least for some coffee mugs, everything you drink will taste like coffee. (Same for some tea mugs etc.)

If you have coated mugs and if they are kept clean, you won't notice much difference.

Of course, if you don't wash your dishes, the taste of prior meals/beverages will mix with the current ones...

mfc

Postby mfc » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:45 pm UTC

My least-favourite recipe instruction is:

Cook until done.

Up there with 'cook until tender' (for a dish that's being baked in the oven ...).

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”