1640: "Super Bowl Context"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Flumble
Yes Man

1640: "Super Bowl Context"

Postby Flumble » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:02 am UTC

Title Text: Why did the chicken cross the road? It begins over five thousand years ago with the domestication of the red junglefowl in southeast Asia and the development of paved roads in the Sumerian city of Ur.

To add some context: there's already an XKCDSW for this one, which lead me to wonder where the corresponding topic 1640 is. But it simply was not, so I added it.

The Moomin

Re: 1640: "Super Bowl Context"

Postby The Moomin » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:40 am UTC

1637: This mine isn't salty enough.
1639: This pot of stuff is too unsweet.
1640: That statement is too contexty.

Worst Goldilocks fanfic ever.
I possibly don't pay enough attention to what's going on.
I help make architect's dreams flesh.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:54 am UTC

"No, no, no, you're taking my need to contextualize everything out of context..."

HES

Postby HES » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:20 am UTC

So I take it the super-advertising-bowl took place recently?
He/Him/His Image

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:40 am UTC

HES wrote:So I take it the super-advertising-bowl took place recently?

I think so, if you're talking about that Rugby-for-wusses sport...

OnTopic: The titletext seems to be a half-hearted version of Sagan's "If you wish to make apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe".

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:42 am UTC

It's great that it's mostly contained within the US of A. On this side of the lake, we only have to deal with association football, cycling and US politics. :roll:

The only thing I know is that John Cena always wins.

NemeSys

Postby NemeSys » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:55 am UTC

This strip reminded me of James Mason's character Timonides in The Fall of the Roman Empire. Alec Guinness (playing the emperor Marcus Aurelius) noted: "Ask Timonides what day of the week it is and he'll give you a lecture on the history of the calendar."

I'm guilty of the same thing. Ask me the time of day and before long I'm explaining why we have leap years. I think it's called 'info-dumping.'

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:45 pm UTC

I didn't watch the Super Bowl in the early hours of this morning as I had a job interview at 09:30. have watched it a couple of times here in the UK though, and once in a sports bar in Alberta - the time zone made it a far easier proposition, but the proportion of adverts to actual game was staggering to behold, even though we knew what to expect. It was almost as though we were watching a shopping channel that every now and again let us have a sneak peek at the football.

Conversely, one sports channel here routinely shows college football games with all the breaks and stoppages taken out. Watched that way it's a far more compelling spectacle.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

speising

Postby speising » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:47 pm UTC

Sheldon Cooper teaching physics wrote:"It's a warm summer evening in Ancient Greece.."

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:06 pm UTC

I live in the 'states and I don't even know who was playing. I know one of the teams because they come from my state and I can't walk into a store without seeing their crap all over the place, but I have no idea who the other is, or who won.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:29 pm UTC

I nearly lolled out loud at the last panel. But is the choice of "mammal" simply absurdity for comic effect, or is there something about the ageing process in mammals that differs qualitatively from other animals? Or other eukaryotes, for that matter?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:22 pm UTC

"I don't even know who's playing" is the new "I don't even own a TV".

Full disclosure: I didn't even know who was playing.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:33 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:"I don't even know who's playing" is the new "I don't even own a TV".

I still don't even own a TV. (And I work in television now, which is the last place I thought I'd end up without a TV.)
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:12 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:I nearly lolled out loud at the last panel. But is the choice of "mammal" simply absurdity for comic effect, or is there something about the ageing process in mammals that differs qualitatively from other animals? Or other eukaryotes, for that matter?

Well, not all tetrapods have a mature stage where growth completely stops, and of course there are some tetrapods that retain stem cell lines for recovery from traumatic injury and so on. Being a mammal also specifies the metabolic rate somewhat. It seems like useful ... context.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

billybobfred

Postby billybobfred » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:29 pm UTC

White Hat is a jerk >:C

You can infodump to me instead, Cueball.
she/her/hers

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:31 pm UTC

A thirty second commercial costs $4.5 million dollars; which is a lot of money in 2016.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:53 pm UTC

I didn't know it was happening until I deduced it from strange comments on a forum that notionally has nothing to do with any sort of sports...

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:29 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:

I didn't know it was happening until I deduced it from strange comments on a forum that notionally has nothing to do with any sort of sports...

Same, though coincidentally I had been watching a rerun of a TV show (on Netflix, not broadcast) where the characters are having superbowl shenanigans, at the same time that the current superbowl was airing.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:43 pm UTC

Superbowl?

Nah, I'm not really into Pokemon.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:22 pm UTC

The Moomin wrote:1637: This mine isn't salty enough.
1639: This pot of stuff is too unsweet.
1640: That statement is too contexty.

Worst Goldilocks fanfic ever.

That statement is just right.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:35 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Superbowl?

Nah, I'm not really into Pokemon.
That doesn't quite work. Let's try this:

WHG: It looks like Peyton is going to retire.
CB: I wouldn't know, I'm not really into pokemon.

Psuedopokedex: Peyton- the final evolution of Man-ning, dual-type quarterback/grass. Signature move: throw.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:48 pm UTC

I love that White Hat wins for once.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)
----
NiteSciFi, sci-fi forum that needs more members

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:54 am UTC

Why does WHG keep interrupting Cueball's intriguing commentary?

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:27 am UTC

Even in Australia - which I've only left on two occasions, the most recent one being OTTerCon nearly a fully year ago, and which was largely about a part of this very forum - I couldn't avoid the constant mentioning of the superb owl in all corners of the internet, even before those voices were joined by xkcd, which is actually the only webcomic I read regularly anymore.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Darekun

Postby Darekun » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:47 am UTC

Wow. There is now one person I would enjoy discussing the Super Bowl with.

This morning, I noticed the radio's mindless Super Bowl chatter had switched to the past tense, so I think so!

CharlieP wrote:the proportion of adverts to actual game was staggering to behold, even though we knew what to expect. It was almost as though we were watching a shopping channel that every now and again let us have a sneak peek at the football.

Although, hm. The percentage isn't high enough yet, but in a few years, it may be worth watching…

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:33 pm UTC

Quite. Perhaps "I don't even own a TV" has lost its snob cachet, because thanks to technology, it no longer implies you don't watch TV.

I wonder if the day will come when the fashionable way to signal that you aren't caught up in whatever-latest-pop-culture-brain-rotting-thing will converge with the polite way to signal it: to simply not contribute to conversations built upon knowledge of that thing. That would be a wonder.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:58 pm UTC

No, it's sticking at "I'm not really into Pokémon", as previously attested.

"I don't even own a TV" is a response for a wide swath of media. Distaste for something as specific as an annual event in a particular sport (as "I don't even know who's playing" expresses) is a very different thing and a lot more palatable in a culture where media awareness and literacy is itself a somewhat serious mark of social status. Hell, that's what hipster is - proving your familiarity with cultural entities enough to give you license to discard them.

I ignore the Superbowl unless someone prompts me about it specifically. I had a longish conversation the night after with one person who'd watched it with friends, so I feigned misunderstanding and we constructed a narrative about how his day bowling had gone. He pointed me toward a couple of good ads, I shared one of my favorites from the backlog. It was an entirely pleasant conversation.

My feelings toward football are interchangeable with my feelings for FreeBSD: That's utterly ridiculous, but there's certainly something impressive about it in its weird way, and, uh, whatever works for you I guess.

To be clear, though, I'm in the US and have educated friends, which means that I mostly don't have to encounter sports if I don't want to. Not everyone has such luxury. I understand that in many places, avoiding the other, more consequential game of football is somewhat more difficult, and any spite and superiority those individuals need to comfort themselves, they're entitled to. Hating football in the UK is like hating Walmart and Windows.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:02 pm UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:Hating football in the UK is like hating Walmart and Windows.

I'd just like to point out that we don't have Wal-Mart in the UK. It's called ASDA. :P

And football (the round one) is easy to not pay attention to here. It's only big news when it's the World Cup, and even then that peters out when England gets knocked out.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)
----
NiteSciFi, sci-fi forum that needs more members

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:00 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:And football (the round one) is easy to not pay attention to here. It's only big news when it's the World Cup, and even then that peters out when England gets knocked out.
Not just the round one, but the one where it is not a rare event that the foot actually touches the ball. ;)

I'm not even an armchair football0 supporter, really. I 'support' my local team, which is the one in the town closest to the place I was brought up1, and like to hear that they've won, but I've actually no idea how well they're doing (on what of know of their recent performance, probably not that well) or whether or not they're playing. Ditto with the national team, actually.

I don't begrudge those that do support a team, at least as long as we don't get back to the peak of hooliganism (by 'fans') of the '80s, but it's just not my sport, and I don't think I've yet confused anyone by stating this. There are times when "what team do you support?" is a loaded question, but as long as you memorise the 'best answer' (e.g. in Glasgow, that'd be "Partick Thistle"... don't ever say either "Rangers" or "Celtic" unless you know who you're talking to!) you don't actually need to concern yourself too much with it. I've never had to bluff it like that, myself, though.

(My 'own sport' is a rather particular and long-standing amateur subset of a non-ball-related competitive practice that most people will know of from its professional, televised and hyped form, but you don't need me to waffle on about that.)

Also, currently it'd be Tesco's, the supermarket to hate upon in the UK. Unless you're playing the class card, when it could be something like Lidl (if you're aiming down from above) or Waitrose (if you're aiming up from below) that might be the subject of your ire...

0 By which I will always mean 'soccer', whilstsoever I don't specify otherwise.
1 There's at least three other teams I could have switched to since then, based upon locality to where I've been, but that would feel more disloyal than merely not being loyal in the first place.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:08 pm UTC

Tesco's does sound like the comparison I should have meant. Thank you both for the insight. = ]

she / her / her

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:36 pm UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:I ignore the Superbowl unless someone prompts me about it specifically. I had a longish conversation the night after with one person who'd watched it with friends, so I feigned misunderstanding and we constructed a narrative about how his day bowling had gone. He pointed me toward a couple of good ads, I shared one of my favorites from the backlog. It was an entirely pleasant conversation.
It's important to note that the parts that you shared were ads, not the game :P Looks like it's working as intended :P
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:42 pm UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:Tesco's does sound like the comparison I should have meant. Thank you both for the insight. = ]

Well, you (probably) said ASDA because that's the actual "Walmart subsidiary in the UK", which is natural enough. Tesco (in the US as "Fresh & Easy", IIRC) is just the likely equivalent store based upon ubiquity. (A few years ago I would have said Woolworths, in its UK incarnation/offshoot (established 1909), but anybody who knows about Woolworths in Britain knows how that went (RIP, 2009 - Happy Centenary(!))...)

Anyway, back on topic1, the newspaper I got while out (yes, I know, but it was the 'freesheet' Metro, and I prefer to do my Sudokus on paper rather than on a tablet) had a whole early-pages spread about the entertainment at the Superbowl (which I didn't read close enough to discover who actually won), and then a half-page in the sports section about the players. I skimmed that article, and still didn't pick up who won, just that someone I've never heard of didn't say he was retiring and someone who should have done better didn't.

1 Without falling back upon the "but Out Of Context is In Context, in the light of the actual strip being discussed here" argument, even...

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:04 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:And football (the round one) is easy to not pay attention to here. It's only big news when it's the World Cup, and even then that peters out when England gets knocked out.
Not just the round one, but the one where it is not a rare event that the foot actually touches the ball. ;)

Urgh. Why do so many people persist with the erroneous notion that the word "football" comes from the act of the first syllable contacting the second syllable? Go back 200 years, observe each and every game of football you can find and report your findings back to us.

PS Apologies if you were being ironic and I didn't notice.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:49 pm UTC

CharlieP wrote:PS Apologies if you were being ironic and I didn't notice.
(Half ironic. Although a 14thC royal ban against "football, handball or hockey1", in England, indicates such a pre-Columbian distinction of "what you do with the ball", rather than the other named historical option where it defines the class of the sport as one played by the "people of the foot", i.e. the peasants, compared to anything that mounted nobles and knights might have played2. Or indeed perhaps any rather complex and rule-bound sport involving knights in armour using precise but violent force to insert little bent strips of metal into parchments3, to score their points.)

1 Which would have given a better rhetorical ring had the latter been "stickball". (Yes, "hockey" means "field hockey" round these parts...)

2 Likely one or other of the early and less civilised variations upon the modern game of polo (aka "horsemalletball"?)

3 "correcthorsebatterystaple"...

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:17 pm UTC

To save sending the thread any further off-topic, I'll just leave this here as a far more scholarly examination than I could ever manage.

http://ns.umich.edu/Releases/2014/June14/Its-football-not-soccer.pdf

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:03 pm UTC

CharlieP wrote:To save sending the thread any further off-topic, I'll just leave this here as a far more scholarly examination than I could ever manage.

http://ns.umich.edu/Releases/2014/June14/Its-football-not-soccer.pdf

I'm still trying to get my head around this logical puzzle:
Francis H. Tabor, to the NYT wrote:In the first place, there is no such word [as socker], and in the second place, it is an exceedingly ugly and undignified one.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:08 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:I'm still trying to get my head around this logical puzzle
Try this: "In the first place, the generalization-of-a-word-and-stupid-gibberish "socker" is not a word, and in the second place it is an exceedingly ugly and undignified generalization-of-a-word-and-stupid-gibberish."

By analogy, we could define animals as living things. But we still might refer to something as a dead animal, despite having lost an essential aspect of animalness.

To Mr. Tabor, "Soccer" lacked an essential aspect of a legitimate word, but it was still similar enough to a word to compare it to a ugly and undignified word.

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:43 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:
orthogon wrote:I'm still trying to get my head around this logical puzzle
Try this: "In the first place, the generalization-of-a-word-and-stupid-gibberish "socker" is not a word

Cue all the linguists in the audience falling to the floor laughing. (Aside from the ones muttering: "The stupid! It burns!")

and in the second place it is an exceedingly ugly and undignified generalization-of-a-word-and-stupid-gibberish."

I'm reminded of one of my favorite quotes: "The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore." --James Nicoll

Are you sure this nonsense appeared in the NY Times, and not the Daily Mail?
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

Coyoty

Postby Coyoty » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:28 am UTC

A common root word for "foot", as in "football", is "ped", which is shared as the root from "pedant"...

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:44 am UTC

xtifr wrote:Are you sure this nonsense appeared in the NY Times, and not the Daily Mail?

As a letter to the editor from someone very familiar with British newspapers. The Daily Mail had been around for a decade in 1905, so he could have been a reader.

she / her / her

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”