1659: Tire Swing

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Quizatzhaderac

1659: Tire Swing

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:11 pm UTC

Title Text: If we find one of those tire dumps, the next time he tries to get his truck back we can just retreat and let him have it.

So maybe my expectations were too high, but I was expecting this to be one of those interactive and/or scrolly ones.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Re: 1659: Tire Swing

Postby jc » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:23 pm UTC

But if we find a practical (or even impractical) use for those old tires, what will our local mosquito population do for a breeding area? Bottle refunds and recycling has wiped out the former supply of their access to that kind of small pools of liquid without fish, dragonfly nymphs, and other things that eat baby mosquitos, leaving them with mostly the tires to maintain their populations. And if we eliminate the mosquitoes, how will the disease organism that depend on them survive?

Won't someone think of the mosquitoes (and the bacteria and virus)?

keithl

Postby keithl » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:25 pm UTC

So, did they take the tree and the rope from other guys, too, or did they take a guy off the hanging rope?

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:39 pm UTC

All I know is that this particular tyre1 is not from the largest tyre producer in the world. Unless those little girls are little girls...

1 Yeah, I'm British. I find it difficult to use Americanisations.

(Erm... Don't know about anyone else, but the SUP-tag seems not to be working for me.)

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:08 am UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:So maybe my expectations were too high, but I was expecting this to be one of those interactive and/or scrolly ones.

The second I saw the tree and landscape I tried doing the exact same thing.

zjxs

Postby zjxs » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:47 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Yeah, I'm British. I find it difficult to use Americanisations.

It's tiring.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:06 am UTC

Use one of these:

simpsons tire fire.jpg
simpsons tire fire.jpg (11.2 KiB) Viewed 3387 times
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

keithl

Postby keithl » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:12 am UTC

jc wrote:But if we find a practical (or even impractical) use for those old tires, what will our local mosquito population do for a breeding area? ...
Fear not! The cavity at the bottom of the hanging tire can still hold plenty of water, perhaps more than the tire lying on its side in a junk yard, certainly more than a buried tire. Further, a person sitting in a tire swing is less able to swat mosquitos on her legs, on the other side of the tire. Finally, the truck without the wheel is probably immobilized and tilted, and the truckbed itself may fill with rainwater. All and all, a fantastic opportunity for anopheles and plasmodium vivax.
Now all we need are some yersinia pestis infected rodents, a water well polluted by fecal matter, and some West African bushmeat sushi, and we can party with pestilence!

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:52 pm UTC

keithl wrote:So, did they take the tree and the rope from other guys, too, or did they take a guy off the hanging rope?

I don't know about the rope, but I guess they stole the tree from the cosmologist. Her swing doesn't appear to be attached to anything, which might explain the unexpected conservation-busting physical phenomena she's observing.

ETA: re man hanging from tree: a seasonal reference?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

eidako

Postby eidako » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:30 pm UTC

Taking it upon myself to point out the obvious use for tire piles.

Spoiler:

No doubt it would be useful for fighting people who wanted their truck back.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:04 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:All I know is that this particular tyre1 is not from the largest tyre producer in the world. Unless those little girls are little girls...
Not to be confused with the producer of the largest tyre (which fits on only a single dump truck), or the producer of the largest production tyre.

Of course the real world of tyres doesn't seem to care how many LEGO makes. http://www.rubbernews.com/article/20140 ... /309089973
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:43 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
keithl wrote:So, did they take the tree and the rope from other guys, too, or did they take a guy off the hanging rope?

I don't know about the rope, but I guess they stole the tree from the cosmologist.

Stole? One of them looks like the cosmologist, and the other looks just like the other girl from that comic. Except that they seem to be the same age now. Twin paradox?
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”