1663: "Garden"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

*Kat*

1663: "Garden"

Postby *Kat* » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:04 pm UTC

This may be a faux pas but....

Where's the comic?
Last edited by Felstaff on Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged threads. http://xkcd.com/1663/

TheMinim

Re: 1663: ???

Postby TheMinim » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:20 pm UTC

Maybe for April Fool's day Randall's just not going to post a comic today? Making us all continuously refresh/revisit the site. That's my best guess, anyhow.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Seeking Rainbows
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:25 pm UTC

On xkcd.com it says:

xkcd.com wrote:The xkcd April 1st comic is currently experiencing technical difficulties.
Please stand by!
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:26 pm UTC

It's already April 2nd in a good chunk of the world...
He/Him/His Image

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:28 pm UTC

He couldn't just say "Wait for it"?

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:35 pm UTC

Eh ... I can see the impetus to avoid becoming too incestuous with the in-jokes.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:55 pm UTC

That was my first thought. Randall was coming up with some special interactive comic for April 1, and he's still messing with it.

Curious, I first wrote "still twerking it" but that posts as "still twerking it." Maybe he's messing with us?

OK, it's still happening. I wrote: T W E A K I N G and it comes up T W E R K I N G. How weird.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:16 pm UTC

Heimhenge wrote:That was my first thought. Randall was coming up with some special interactive comic for April 1, and he's still messing with it.

Curious, I first wrote "still twerking it" but that posts as "still twerking it." Maybe he's messing with us?

OK, it's still happening. I wrote: T W E A K I N G and it comes up T W E R K I N G. How weird.

It's been like that for over a year, since the previous madness at least.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Gammarad

Postby Gammarad » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:14 am UTC

Now it says:

keithl

Postby keithl » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:19 am UTC

Gammarad wrote:Now it says:

Code: Select all

> cal 4 2017
     April 2017     
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
 2  3  4  5  6  7  8
 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:11 am UTC

It's still April 1 in all of the US (at least, in the states; not sure about territories).

I wonder if the April Fools comic actually is taking too long, or if the lack of comic is the April Fools prank.
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she(?)(?(?)(?))(?(?(?))(?))(?) · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...
chridd (on Discord) wrote:
Dummy wrote:Sorry You're Gay Dads
SYG'D
marionic (on Discord) wrote:sleep in grave

rivulatus

Postby rivulatus » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:54 am UTC

Been refreshing all day to see the new comic, and only just read that text, if that is not the April fools joke it is good enough (And wasted enough time of my day) to have been.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:06 am UTC

umm.
It's funny.

Very nicely done.
Say what you will...its classy.

(shrug) No Joke is the Joke.
Or; Maybe, not.

April Fools Day.
A day when we lie to one another
and somehow, that's funny, to us.

I had it explained to me one time.
These guys probably explain it better.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_Foo ... ay#Origins

A day to laugh.
It is a very good idea.
I hope you laughed today.

The Darwin Awards say not all good ideas are good in practice.
Practical Jokes are a dangerous practice. Telling lies is safer.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

NotUsername

Postby NotUsername » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:49 am UTC

Needs a calendar system in which Saturday is April 1st, hey? He already made one himself:
https://xkcd.com/1073/

chrisjwmartin

Postby chrisjwmartin » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:33 am UTC

He could always wait until April 14th and claim that he's using the Julian Calendar.

NathanLazarus

Postby NathanLazarus » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:51 am UTC

My suggestion is that if we had a year 0, then April 1, 2016 would actually be a Saturday (because April 1, 2017 is a Saturday, and if we had a year 0, every year would be pushed back by 1). Perhaps Randall set this whole thing up to point out to xkcd fans how weird the lack of a year 0 is. My guess though—Randall had a crazy extravagant idea for April 1 and is having technical difficulties. I can't wait!

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:26 pm UTC

[quote="NathanLazarus"]My suggestion is that if we had a year 0, then April 1, 2016 would actually be a Saturday (because April 1, 2017 is a Saturday, and if we had a year 0, every year would be pushed back by 1). Perhaps Randall set this whole thing up to point out to xkcd fans how weird the lack of a year 0 is. quote]

I wonder if it burns atheists up inside that we use a calendar system largely based on the birth and death of a Christian religious figure. I have never given it much thought, but I wonder how other cultures feel about that too. I know the Chinese have their own calendar system, but I imagine in modern times they've incorporated the western world's system for better ease of commerce and trade.
(terran/protoss/zerg/fascist fuck)

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:39 pm UTC

trpmb6 wrote:we use a calendar system largely based on the birth and death of a Christian religious figure

Well, not quite true. Birth, well, not really accurate, but kind of based on some old approximation of what is believed to be a Christian religious figure's birth (I, for one, think that dude's 12000 years older). I have yet to see a calendar system based on death of someone from the Bible. I'd do some research to see if it exists, but I'm just too lazy. :D

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:24 pm UTC

trpmb6 wrote:I wonder if it burns atheists up inside that we use a calendar system largely based on the birth and death of a Christian religious figure. I have never given it much thought, but I wonder how other cultures feel about that too. I know the Chinese have their own calendar system, but I imagine in modern times they've incorporated the western world's system for better ease of commerce and trade.

It's commonplace to call a calendar date in/before Common Era nowadays, taking a step back from religious context. Japanese, as the wiki reads, even calls it "2016 Western calendar".

It's a pity TCB hasn't gained more traction. Sure, it deviates from mean solar time over the Earth years (though actual solar time deviates a lot more during a single year, so MST's a fat lot of use anyway) and TCB ticks slightly faster than a measured second anywhere within the solar system, but at least you're never late. It's about a minute ahead of UTC at the moment, but it'll take centuries before it's ahead of all noons in Greenwich. And even then, forget about Greenwich, it's just some irrelevant village somewhere in the UK. It's about keeping with the times everywhere in the world.

sfmans

Postby sfmans » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:32 pm UTC

Of course a sub-part of the joke is that GLR has managed to get us to write 19 posts in a thread on a comic that hasn't even appeared yet.

Oh hang on, make that 20 posts with this one ...

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:51 pm UTC

It'll get here eventually. We can wait. April 1 is over too fast every year anyway. I don't mind it lasting a little longer.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:20 pm UTC

NathanLazarus wrote:My suggestion is that if we had a year 0, then April 1, 2016 would actually be a Saturday (because April 1, 2017 is a Saturday, and if we had a year 0, every year would be pushed back by 1). Perhaps Randall set this whole thing up to point out to xkcd fans how weird the lack of a year 0 is. My guess though—Randall had a crazy extravagant idea for April 1 and is having technical difficulties. I can't wait!

Lack of a year zero isn't weird, having a year zero is weird. We don't have a month zero or a day zero, the first of those things is '1'' so why would the first year not be '1' as well?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

HES

Postby HES » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:21 pm UTC

The header now reads "The Friday xkcd comic is currently experiencing technical difficulties [Editor's note: Everything is on fire] and has been delayed until Sunday night."

Flumble wrote:And even then, forget about Greenwich, it's just some irrelevant village somewhere in the UK.

Hey, It's an irrelevant town somewhere in the UK, thank you very much.
He/Him/His Image

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:25 pm UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:we use a calendar system largely based on the birth and death of a Christian religious figure

Well, not quite true. Birth, well, not really accurate, but kind of based on some old approximation of what is believed to be a Christian religious figure's birth (I, for one, think that dude's 12000 years older). I have yet to see a calendar system based on death of someone from the Bible. I'd do some research to see if it exists, but I'm just too lazy. :D

Well, technically it's "largely based upon the birth and the death" because it's an assumed (and proven likely wrong, if indeed there is any right answer) DOB and if He hadn't 'died' then there goes a large part of the whole religion he (as opposed to many others that have been born) was the inspiration to create. (Although being undying would have done something else... c.f. Warhammer 40K.) And that only goes so far as to mark the nominal number of years off, and has not even defined the exact time in the year at which it ticks over (which isn't even a solstice/equinox, like it really ought to be for better rationality to it!), and we have to count from something, regardless of whether that something has been cemented into the 'correct' place in history. I might as well say "Ok, this moment, now, I am going to create a new calendar based upon a verifiable epoch. And the most important epoch, for this calendar is this moment now, as that is the point in time at which I created the calendar and employed the circular logic that will henceforth be the greatest reason for its own existence"...

And about non-Christians (which includes all the different kinds of atheists, but others as well) using a Christian calendar (those that do not use alternate calendars from alternate cultures, at least): hey, I still like to see (not excessive) house decorations being put up in late December, regardless of whether it's as a rather strangely warped celebration of the birth of a Messiah (who, in this case not being A Very Naughty Boy. did not get coal in his stockings) or a slightly off-date ritual intended to encourage the return of the Sun from the underground place to which it had seemingly been inexorably and permanently heading towards.

And if I inadvertently celebrate the persecution of catholic troublemakers (and/or the valiant but failed attempted destruction of the political ruling class, albeit failed) every November, I don't care too much. We rather stay quiet on the whole subject of our colonies departing us every July (good luck to them, I do so hope they prosper, but it's perhaps a bit early to tell), so when else (except for the aforementioned calendar-flip) do we get opportunity to ignite large quantities of chemicals and fill the air with flame and smoke and noise and the resultant falling debris, as a nation?

:P

*Kat*

Postby *Kat* » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:00 pm UTC

The Friday xkcd comic is currently experiencing technical difficulties [Editor's note: Everything is on fire] and has been delayed until Sunday nightow it says

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:47 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
NathanLazarus wrote:My suggestion is that if we had a year 0, then April 1, 2016 would actually be a Saturday (because April 1, 2017 is a Saturday, and if we had a year 0, every year would be pushed back by 1). Perhaps Randall set this whole thing up to point out to xkcd fans how weird the lack of a year 0 is. My guess though—Randall had a crazy extravagant idea for April 1 and is having technical difficulties. I can't wait!

Lack of a year zero isn't weird, having a year zero is weird. We don't have a month zero or a day zero, the first of those things is '1'' so why would the first year not be '1' as well?

Lack of a year zero makes doing arithmetic with the calendar go a bit weird around where the year zero would be.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:37 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:Lack of a year zero makes doing arithmetic with the calendar go a bit weird around where the year zero would be.
If your calendar starts at the beginning of time, this whole "year zero" goes away. There is nothing of interest before "year zero".

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:45 pm UTC

Oy, couldn't we just link the last five comic threads we've had this argument in and be done with it?

she / her / her

gcgcgcgc

Postby gcgcgcgc » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:23 pm UTC

trpmb6 wrote:
NathanLazarus wrote:My suggestion is that if we had a year 0, then April 1, 2016 would actually be a Saturday (because April 1, 2017 is a Saturday, and if we had a year 0, every year would be pushed back by 1). Perhaps Randall set this whole thing up to point out to xkcd fans how weird the lack of a year 0 is. quote]

I wonder if it burns atheists up inside that we use a calendar system largely based on the birth and death of a Christian religious figure. I have never given it much thought, but I wonder how other cultures feel about that too. I know the Chinese have their own calendar system, but I imagine in modern times they've incorporated the western world's system for better ease of commerce and trade.

I'm atheist and it doesn't bother me in the slightest, after all we still name the days of the week after the moon, Tyr, Woden, Thor, Frigg, Saturn and the sun respectively, and various months after roman emperors and gods such as Janus, plus the actually numbered months are all in the wrong position anyway. Besides, Common Era doesn't really mean anything; what's so common about it?

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:43 pm UTC

Not sure if that last bit was a joke, but that's the wrong sense of common....

she / her / her

chrisjwmartin

Postby chrisjwmartin » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:47 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:And even then, forget about Greenwich, it's just some irrelevant village somewhere in the UK.

Greenwich is in London. London is not an irrelevant village.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:20 am UTC

That wouldn't prevent it from being an irrelevant village in London, though...?
Last edited by Copper Bezel on Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

she / her / her

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:18 am UTC

HES wrote:

Hey, It's an irrelevant town somewhere in the UK, thank you very much.

chrisjwmartin wrote:

Greenwich is in London. London is not an irrelevant village.

I really had no idea that the town of Greenwich is one of the boroughs of London.
I just imagined a sleepy community with an observatory somewhere in the middle of Britain, like Allendale or somesuch. :roll:

[edit] It's well past Sunday night in Greenwich now, so where's our comic Randall?

dash

Postby dash » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:29 am UTC

trpmb6 wrote:I wonder if it burns atheists up inside that we use a calendar system largely based on the birth and death of a Christian religious figure.

Yes. Yes it does.
If my wife were a D&D character she'd be all 10's

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:31 am UTC

Did anyone notice the Javascript?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:10 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Did anyone notice the Javascript?

Now I do, but it's just jquery and a minified json parser.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:10 am UTC

It's Monday night here, meaning definitely Sunday night for GLR. Sigh.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:21 am UTC

trpmb6 wrote:I wonder if it burns atheists up inside that we use a calendar system largely based on the birth and death of a Christian religious figure.

Not at all, in the same way that I don't lose any sleep about most of the days of the week also having mythological roots.

EDIT: Should have read past your post before commenting. :)
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

chrisjwmartin

Postby chrisjwmartin » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:25 am UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:That wouldn't prevent it from being an irrelevant village in London, though...?

Flumble wrote:I really had no idea that the town of Greenwich is one of the boroughs of London.

It doesn't really make any sense to refer to Greenwich as either a town or a village at this point, is all. You wouldn't refer to Queens or the Bronx as towns or villages, would you? The proper title is "The Royal Borough of Greenwich".

But really the point is that in practice GMT means "London Time". GMT is the universal standard because London was the foremost city of the day, and Greenwich was where London's observatory happened to be. London is the centre of international time zones in much the same way that medieval maps always showed Jerusalem at the centre of the world.

NotUsername

Postby NotUsername » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:36 am UTC

Finally Here!
http://xkcd.com/1663/

It's suspiciously reminiscent of Time... Maybe the sheer simplicity is part of the "joke".

Edit: How does this thing work?
Last edited by NotUsername on Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:50 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”