1663: "Garden"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

xpatiate

Re: 1663: "Garden"

Postby xpatiate » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:51 am UTC

Awww, my octopus and balloon are so sweet together...

xkcd-gif.gif
xkcd-gif.gif (11.29 KiB) Viewed 5515 times

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:03 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:Ouch! I think Blitzgirl's deer is having a worse time than my tortoise, but neither of them look like fun:

I should send over the new mightyMegan from the phallus garden; she seems to be sacrificing herself for a tortoise...

Spoiler:
GardenSacrificialMegan.png

(I'm really not sure what the little tables are doing.)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:51 am UTC

That's an amazing scene Blitzgirl. Megan appears to be wearing a ballgown and preparing to hurl a tortoise in some kind of heathen ritual, while an architectural monstrosity is assembling itself behind her, and yet the spotlight is on Cueball's peaceful pastoral contemplation of a duck. I think there's something in that for all of us.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:57 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I finally demolished my first obelisk to get an unobstructed view of mightyMegan's balancing efforts:

I think you mean "summoning efforts".

Though a spiny tentacle coming out of your cauldron can't be a good thing, whether you're in an anime of questionable taste or not. She should stop.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:07 am UTC

Animal life has not yet evolved in my garden... I assume the torii was erected by extraterrestrial visitors.

garden1.png

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:18 am UTC

There's always hope. A second swordMegan materialized on my platform, when all this time I'd been trying to grow her out of a desk...

Spoiler:
GardenDoubleSwords.png

Mikeski wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I finally demolished my first obelisk to get an unobstructed view of mightyMegan's balancing efforts:

I think you mean "summoning efforts".

Though a spiny tentacle coming out of your cauldron can't be a good thing, whether you're in an anime of questionable taste or not. She should stop.

I did eventually remove the platform with the cauldron and the tentacle, because it was only growing tree branches and weeds. Right now she only loves lamp.

xpatiate wrote:That's an amazing scene Blitzgirl. Megan appears to be wearing a ballgown and preparing to hurl a tortoise in some kind of heathen ritual, while an architectural monstrosity is assembling itself behind her, and yet the spotlight is on Cueball's peaceful pastoral contemplation of a duck. I think there's something in that for all of us.

Why thank you, though I did little but watch it grow. I can see why you liked it! Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:27 am UTC

Mikeski wrote:Animal life has not yet evolved in my garden... I assume the torii was erected by extraterrestrial visitors.

And after I said this, a bird appeared on top of it, proving it really is a torii, and not, say, a pergola, or a really tall table.

(torii is written with kanji that mean "place where birds sit".)

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:56 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:Ouch! I think Blitzgirl's deer is having a worse time than my tortoise, but neither of them look like fun:

xkcd-garden.png

Well, I tried two things while sleeping. I tried a more orange garden, which gave me vines, turtles, and a new addition to me, snakes. And I started another garden, but then went to another page. When I checked on it just now, nothing had grown. So the garden has to be loaded in the browser for anything to grow, so time alone isn't doing it.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:50 am UTC

It's a pity the cats are transparent. I could have had a weinercat with two tails. Instead I got a kitteh-mess in the middle of my garden.
Now I have to pick which one lives and which one dies...

Spoiler:
GardenOverlappedKittehs.png

Also my rabbit is eating bees. Is that normal?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:54 am UTC

I have gardens running in three different browsers - I just left them all alone for a couple of hours and two of them sprouted all sorts of weirdness while one remained completely unchanged. So it can't be that the browser has to be focused, because I couldn't have had focus on two at once. In the one that didn't change, one of the lamps was selected with the red X activated - so maybe nothing grows while in that state?

Just a typical day at the office...

Spoiler:
desk.png
desk.png (12.32 KiB) Viewed 5355 times

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:28 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:I have gardens running in three different browsers - I just left them all alone for a couple of hours and two of them sprouted all sorts of weirdness while one remained completely unchanged. So it can't be that the browser has to be focused, because I couldn't have had focus on two at once. In the one that didn't change, one of the lamps was selected with the red X activated - so maybe nothing grows while in that state?

Just a typical day at the office...

Spoiler:
desk.png

Nah, that's not it either. I tried that out, but a Cueball grew, under the selected lamp too.

Edit: Well, well. It took a while, but I now have Meghan in the yellow garden. Meditating obviously, as she is hovering above the ground. And another Cueball in the blue garden.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Ugi

Postby Ugi » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:49 am UTC

Hello!
Long time XKCD reader here. Just discovered the fora!

Interested to notice that when a tree has grown from an initial "trunk" by adding leaves over time, you can select the various different sets of leaves separately, presumably allowing you to construct some sort of dramatic topiary by selectively pruning the foliage.

Not sure how to post a screen-shot yet, but try it.

Just wish I could get something to grow under any light other than the default yellow at the moment. Ho Hum. Relax....

wolf99

Postby wolf99 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:38 am UTC

Some seriously crazy memory usage by this!
Stopped as soon as I closed the tab on Chrome 49.0.2623.110 m on Windows 7 64-bit.

scrn1.png
crazy RAM usage

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:41 pm UTC

Wow. So, I let all my gardens grow all night unattended. Fun to see one of them go from this:

To this:

I'm kind of disappointed that not much happened on the left side over 14 hours.

Another one gave all my octopi balloons and rabbits, while the third got covered in ducks and Cthulu tentacles.

Spoiler:
Before.JPG

AllNight.JPG
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Bratmon

Postby Bratmon » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:31 pm UTC

I had a cool Octopus with a tophat in my garden, but I accidentally deleted it. :(

Ceetar

Postby Ceetar » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:39 pm UTC

Q: "Does a deer shit in the wood?"

A: Well sure, if it's got a chamber pot and can find a tree.

Ugi

Postby Ugi » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:43 pm UTC

There seems to be an interesting tendency for elements to duplicate rather than to create entirely different items. Looking over this thread, I did not notice a single star-pot-plant in other screenshots but then there are three in the garden a post or two above. Other gardens show several Megans-with-swords, which are not seen elsewhere or overwhelming numbers of Octopuses. Maybe it's just because that's the colour of light used on that garden but maybe it's also a deliberate strategy to give a certain style or coherence to each garden.

I am finding that I get very little growth if the beam is too narrow. I've had two narrow orange lights sitting for hours on a totally bare spot and nothing at all is growing.

Currently trying to grow an arch between two trees by selective pruning. It's going to take a while!

Ugi

pscottdv

Postby pscottdv » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:00 pm UTC

Huh. Not what I expected...
Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 9.57.24 AM.png

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:29 pm UTC

This reminds me of an urban agriculture project that featured on Tomorrow's Food, a fascinating series presented by Dara O'Briain. They were growing vegetables indoors in a huge warehouse, under LED lighting. The guy was explaining how they had to use a different mix of colours for different crops and how they'd found the plants grew differently as they varied the spectral content of the light.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Ugi

Postby Ugi » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:34 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:This reminds me of an urban agriculture project that featured on Tomorrow's Food, a fascinating series presented by Dara O'Briain. They were growing vegetables indoors in a huge warehouse, under LED lighting. The guy was explaining how they had to use a different mix of colours for different crops and how they'd found the plants grew differently as they varied the spectral content of the light.

There are certainly at least two different methods of photosynthesis known in plants with some plants having one and some both. From memory, I think maize is one of the species that has a particularly efficient photosynthetic mechanism. Varying the carbon dioxide and oxygen concentrations will no-doubt have an effect also.

Sadly not currently on iplayer - I would have liked to watch that.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:39 pm UTC

Ugi wrote:
I am finding that I get very little growth if the beam is too narrow. I've had two narrow orange lights sitting for hours on a totally bare spot and nothing at all is growing.

Ugi

I've noticed the same. I think a lot of the bigger things need a wider beam to grow at all, and I also think that it works better when you give it a wider swath to work with. It is interesting the balance of control and chaos this presents. You can direct the lights and toggle their settings to try to encourage certain things to grow in certain places, but in the end you really can't force anything. You have to surrender control to the garden to grow what it wants, and it seems to resist efforts to get too involved in its choices--such as trying to narrowly target places for specific growth. Our control really comes more in pruning things and deciding which choices the garden makes that we want to endorse or discard. The garden also seems to approve of our choices, as has been noted earlier in the forum: sometimes when a garden doesn't seem to be growing much anymore, pruning out a few things seems to encourage new growth.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:49 pm UTC

Ugi wrote:There seems to be an interesting tendency for elements to duplicate rather than to create entirely different items. Looking over this thread, I did not notice a single star-pot-plant in other screenshots but then there are three in the garden a post or two above. Other gardens show several Megans-with-swords, which are not seen elsewhere or overwhelming numbers of Octopuses. Maybe it's just because that's the colour of light used on that garden but maybe it's also a deliberate strategy to give a certain style or coherence to each garden.

Currently trying to grow an arch between two trees by selective pruning. It's going to take a while!

Ugi

I think this is because lights of certain colors encourage things to grow that grow in those colors.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:26 pm UTC

Spoiler:
xkcd7.png

So apparently yellow light causes chaos, in the form of The Rapture and Cthulhu.

And whatever that string like thing caught on one of Cthulhu's limbs is, is beyond me.

Ugi

Postby Ugi » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:29 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
I think this is because lights of certain colors encourage things to grow that grow in those colors.

That is certainly the simplest explanation but if you look above, for example, the yellow that caused those star pot-plants is the same yellow that generates deer and the elevated platforms. That seems to be the default yellow colour. Only all of us have deer and platforms while kenmelken has three star pot-plants against our nill.

As they say, humans see patterns where there are none. But here, I think, there just might be one....
Ugi

Ugi

Postby Ugi » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:31 pm UTC

ThemePark wrote:
And whatever that string like thing caught on one of Cthulhu's limbs is, is beyond me.

Surely that's a bird listening to an ipod! :?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:36 pm UTC

I got a couple of starplants overnight, including one that overlaps with a cactus.
But my favorite thing that happened overnight was my treedeer evolving into a Lampdeer:

Spoiler:
GardenLampdeer.png

ThemePark wrote:So apparently yellow light causes chaos, in the form of The Rapture and Cthulhu.

Oh wow, flying birds and Megans! I need to get me some of those!
It looks like the string thing might be held in the mouth of that bird?

taixzo wrote:
Ugi wrote:There seems to be an interesting tendency for elements to duplicate rather than to create entirely different items. Looking over this thread, I did not notice a single star-pot-plant in other screenshots but then there are three in the garden a post or two above. Other gardens show several Megans-with-swords, which are not seen elsewhere or overwhelming numbers of Octopuses. Maybe it's just because that's the colour of light used on that garden but maybe it's also a deliberate strategy to give a certain style or coherence to each garden.

I wonder if there's some time-based aspect. I'll find a lot of similar items appearing across multiple of my gardens in a narrow stretch of time, like suddenly desk lamps everywhere or multiple Cueballs. Then those things won't appear again for a very long stretch.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:40 pm UTC

ThemePark wrote:So apparently yellow light causes chaos, in the form of The Rapture and Cthulhu.

Wow. That is by far the craziest I've seen yet. I have yet to see anything that isn't attached to the ground somehow. Nothing flying or levitating.

BlitzGirl wrote:I wonder if there's some time-based aspect. I'll find a lot of similar items appearing across multiple of my gardens in a narrow stretch of time, like suddenly desk lamps everywhere or multiple Cueballs. Then those things won't appear again for a very long stretch.

I wonder if, like Time, Randall is still working in the background, and evolving the possibilities that can grow in the gardens, so certain items don't manifest at first because he hasn't added them to the possibilities yet. Or maybe, some items just take a REALLY long time to grow, and therefore can't show up until the second day or so. There may be things that have already been coded in, but won't show up until after a week or so.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:43 pm UTC

Ugi wrote:
ThemePark wrote:

Surely that's a bird listening to an ipod! :?

"Currently playing: The Carpenters - Close To You" :D
Last edited by ThemePark on Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

water_moon

Postby water_moon » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:44 pm UTC

I think the "relax" is the April fool's. Instead of just enjoying a little smile or asking a friend for explanation of the usual brand of interest. I've come here to hunt down what's going wrong.

In ancient IE what plays nice with no one there's nothing, like not even a space. So on to Opera v. 36 in Win 7 -- there are lights no ground. Okay, make pretty color pictures with lights. But, I can't leave the lights, they reset just about as soon as they get arranged. In IE 11, Win 8.1 thar be ground! oooh. But the entire thing disappears into an eternal loading screen just as I'm adjusting the last light.

So check around and find that yes it is supposed to do something and maybe http://linden.xkcd.com will help. In the aforementioned IE 11, Win 8.1 loads a long time, lets me get lights in place, and then sticks itself in eternal load mode (ELM). With http://linden.xkcd.com/ in Opera v.36 with Win 8.1 lights placed, we get a tree! and then a second later we get the ELM of doom. I boycott Google so Chrome isn't an option. Any other suggestions?

Ugi

Postby Ugi » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:47 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I got a couple of starplants overnight, including one that overlaps with a cactus.

Yay! Christmas cactus!

BlitzGirl wrote:
But my favorite thing that happened overnight was my treedeer evolving into a Lampdeer:

That is indeed a deer-load of lamps! But why all together? Perhaps because once one appears others tend to do the same?

BlitzGirl wrote:
I wonder if there's some time-based aspect. I'll find a lot of similar items appearing across multiple of my gardens in a narrow stretch of time, like suddenly desk lamps everywhere or multiple Cueballs. Then those things won't appear again for a very long stretch.

This is an interesting point. I have certainly noticed multiples of the same item appearing in quick succession. But then, I have also had matching items appear later on. Hummm.... it's just possible I am trying to over-analyse this!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:12 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:Wow. That is by far the craziest I've seen yet. I have yet to see anything that isn't attached to the ground somehow. Nothing flying or levitating.

Oh! Do the hovering objects grow out of the "empty air" objects? I've been able to select completely blank circles in my garden before, but wasn't sure what they were there for. Possibly the base for flying birds and Megans?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:37 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I think this is because lights of certain colors encourage things to grow that grow in those colors.

I wonder if there's some time-based aspect. I'll find a lot of similar items appearing across multiple of my gardens in a narrow stretch of time, like suddenly desk lamps everywhere or multiple Cueballs. Then those things won't appear again for a very long stretch.[/quote]

That certainly sounds plausible. It would explain the star plants and lamps. I'm gonna test it by letting a new white light garden run overnight.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:17 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
kenmelken wrote:Wow. That is by far the craziest I've seen yet. I have yet to see anything that isn't attached to the ground somehow. Nothing flying or levitating.

Oh! Do the hovering objects grow out of the "empty air" objects? I've been able to select completely blank circles in my garden before, but wasn't sure what they were there for. Possibly the base for flying birds and Megans?

Ooh! I like that theory! I pruned the blank objects out last time I got them. Maybe next time they show up I won't do that and see if I get something flying. That seems like the best explanation to me of both the weird blank objects and how some object are able to fly.

chibimuse

Postby chibimuse » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:21 pm UTC

My tree grew to look like a hand pointing at the cauldron!
image.jpeg
Pointing garden

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:32 pm UTC

Seems like the reptiles have figured out heat lamps...

Spoiler:
GardenHeatLamps.png

kenmelken wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

Ooh! I like that theory! I pruned the blank objects out last time I got them. Maybe next time they show up I won't do that and see if I get something flying. That seems like the best explanation to me of both the weird blank objects and how some object are able to fly.

Yeah, I've been pruning out the blank objects for a long time... now I regret that choice!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SimonMoon5

Postby SimonMoon5 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:10 pm UTC

I have balloons and strings that want to grow up to be balloons. And Megan is in a tree with a duck on her head.
Attachments
canvas.png

Ugi

Postby Ugi » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:29 pm UTC

SimonMoon5 wrote:I have balloons and strings that want to grow up to be balloons. And Megan is in a tree with a duck on her head.

Oooh - I have one garden with lots of those strings, some quite long, but no balloons. I thought they were some kind of plant.

Maybe balloons to follow. The strings seemed to grow under blue light. Maybe I need to change to get balloons on them.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:51 pm UTC

The LED-driven farm was Green Sense Farms in Chicago. (I thought it was Detroit - I always get the two cities confused. Apologies if you live there!)
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Alassieth

Postby Alassieth » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:57 pm UTC

Anyone else got a tall (almost to the top of the frame) cypress looking tree? I've not seen any in other pics people have posted and one just appeared in my garden.

Lord_Montague

Postby Lord_Montague » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:03 pm UTC

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”