1663: "Garden"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

RedPanda

Re: 1663: "Garden"

Postby RedPanda » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:27 pm UTC

Indeed. In fact, my minimalist "rabbit and kitty" garden just gained a second balloon.

http://xkcd.com/1663/#2c05e988-fad9-11e5-8013-42010a8e0006

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:34 pm UTC

rainycity1 wrote:
ThemePark wrote:Seems like we'll have to use linden.xkcd.com now, as today's comic shows instead despite the ID.

I think I have an active page through http://xkcd.com/1663/

Right you are, thank you. It also says that on the front page now.

Right, I'm keeping my Twilight Zone Garden open for the next many decades. I don't know what I created, but I sure can't recreate it.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Zesparia

Postby Zesparia » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:09 pm UTC

Left it running overnight at work and woke up to rocks and star plants. I pruned most of the rock piles to promote new growth elsewhere but they REALLY want to grow. Had two new ones start up in about 40 minutes.

http://linden.xkcd.com/#00a012ce-fa97-1 ... 010a8e0015

sharpfang

Postby sharpfang » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:16 pm UTC

Well, I did. My garden reset and the new one doesn't grow.

linden.xkcd.com has my garden, but read-only (obviously).

edit: okay, fixed now.
Last edited by sharpfang on Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AndrewGPaul

Postby AndrewGPaul » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:28 pm UTC

Argh! initially, Edge didn't like it and I had lamps, but no ground. After a refresh or two, I managed to eventually get a couple of platforms, a small herd of tortoises, some deer and Cueball apparently conducting an offscreen orchestra. Then the "loading" tree popped up for no good reason. It sat like that for an hour or so doing nothing, so I pressed F5 (which previously had "unocked" the loading screen), only for it to now show comic #1664. My garden is no more. :(

sharpfang

Postby sharpfang » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:35 pm UTC

Copy whatever starts with # in the URL
Go one comic back.
Paste whatever you copied at the end of the URL and press enter to (re)load.

DonJaime

Postby DonJaime » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:54 pm UTC

With judicious pruning and enough time, you can make something that seems to make some kind of sense:
canvas.png
This 'sense' is (of course) an illusion.
I don't think 'pedant' is really the right word.

ummit

So what's the secret?

Postby ummit » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:03 pm UTC

I've just about given up. A friend of mine has given up. All we ever get is "Loading...". Is there any secret to get past that? I've tried multiple browsers, I've tried linden.xkcd.com, I've made sure JavaScript is enabled and NoScript is not, but still no joy. Help!

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:09 pm UTC

My Sword Megan just got a little top hat! Previously only saw those on Octopi.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: So what's the secret?

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:35 pm UTC

ummit wrote:I've just about given up. A friend of mine has given up. All we ever get is "Loading...". Is there any secret to get past that? I've tried multiple browsers, I've tried linden.xkcd.com, I've made sure JavaScript is enabled and NoScript is not, but still no joy. Help!

All I can say is I had that same problem on my work computer, although I had a little more action with the linden site. My computer at home, which is newer, is having better luck, but it's still taking a long time to grow things. I'm on a Mac, and I have garden in Safari and one in Chrome. Other than that, I can't help much, since I'm clueless (and also Cueless). Sorry!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

fatness

Postby fatness » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:02 pm UTC

So...how long before the water starts rising on the left or the wind starts picking up (or both)? :mrgreen:

The_Alchemist

Postby The_Alchemist » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:12 pm UTC

I, like I suspect, many others have multiple gardens growing. I've come to a pretty solid conclusion that inherent potential in the garden plays a massive role. I set up a pair of gardens. Exactly the same light (full red, top left, center and right). One is chock full of cactus, turtles and cats. The other is 100% barren. No growth at all in 28 hours.

Three other basically random ones have now stopped growing all together regardless of what I do. I can prune, vary light, delete things and they stay the same. I think they have exhausted their potential.

And then one has various items (a tilting cactus and vertical lines (antennae?) that I can't delete. One garden is completely impervious to ANY pruning or deletion. Anyone else have that phenomenon?

I wish there was a way to compost or enrich our garden.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:32 pm UTC

xpatiate wrote:I too would very much like to know the answers to these questions, although not enough to personally embark on such a research program myself ... but definitely enough to keep refreshing this page in the hope that somebody else has.

I think that's known as "conducting a meta-analysis".
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

AndrewGPaul

Postby AndrewGPaul » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:48 pm UTC

sharpfang wrote:Copy whatever starts with # in the URL
Go one comic back.
Paste whatever you copied at the end of the URL and press enter to (re)load.

I tried that, but something went wonky, and it was gone. :( Still, the replacement has an octopus, so it's not all bad. And what looks like a turned table leg:
http://www.xkcd.com/1663/#7877bdfc-fc03 ... 010a8e000c

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:12 pm UTC

The_Alchemist wrote:And then one has various items (a tilting cactus and vertical lines (antennae?) that I can't delete. One garden is completely impervious to ANY pruning or deletion. Anyone else have that phenomenon?

I was seeing a similar problem (also with vertical lines and the little mini-cactuses), but what I found was that if I deleted the item 5-10 times, eventually it disappeared. I think what was happening is 5-10 of the same item overlapped in the same place, so I was actually deleting multiple copies, but it gave the impression at first that the item simply wouldn't delete. Also, turn all lights off of the area when you do so. I've found multiple times that I delete something and it grows right back 3 seconds later if I still have the same light there that grew it there in the first place! If you already have overlaps, chances are that item REALLY wants to grow there, so even as you are deleting layers of that object, it could be growing back in the meantime.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:21 pm UTC

The results of the overnight table-stacking contest are in! Cueball versus Megan!

In second place, with a score of 20 tables stacked, plus bonus lamp... Cueball!

And the grand prize winner, with a score of 26 tables plus one extended snake-platform... Megan!

Spoiler:
GardenTablesCue20.png
GardenTablesMeg26.png

Cueball certainly has the more attractive stack of tables since there wasn't as much overlap in the pile. In the process of counting tables, I had to prune a lot of excess turtles, lamps, and vines from the stacks. I can't reach two stubborn tentaclevines in Megan's stack yet (after a few minutes of furious select-clicking). I'll have to prune some tables in order to be able to select them.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:37 pm UTC

Stuff! I got stuff!
That's a lot of ecosystems in a small area. And an invading army of octopi are marching through the scrubland to attack the turtle cacti, which are apparently watched over by the lamppost from Narnia. But anybody have any idea what those things are to the right that look like those little robot dogs?

ETA BlitzGirl, your Megan looks so proud of herself!

Spoiler:
garden1.jpg

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:42 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Stuff! I got stuff!
And an invading army of octopi are marching through the scrubland to attack the turtle cacti, which are apparently watched over by the lamppost from Narnia. But anybody have any idea what those things are to the right that look like those little robot dogs?
Spoiler:
garden1.jpg

Those are the Mars Rovers! I've been trying oh-so-hard to get one.

Your lamp is the first of the "hat racks," as I've been calling them, to spout anything other than a weird arm (although one of yours has that too). The lamp head on top makes them make more sense.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:45 pm UTC

Awesomeful, lmjb! I haven't managed to grow a lamppost or rover yet - do they sprout under the red light?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:45 pm UTC

So the finial is the bottom of a lamp post, with possible street sign. One wonders if a satyr might wander by next.

ninja'd edit, Mars rover plus lamp post equals that one strip that I can't find right now.

Edit #2: xkcd #665.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:53 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Awesomeful, lmjb! I haven't managed to grow a lamppost or rover yet - do they sprout under the red light?

Apparently? This hasn't exactly been a scientific endeavor on my part. :D

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:00 pm UTC

Heh, not on mine either :mrgreen: It's more fun to make up amusing scenes!

For example, let's check in on Phallus Garden, a.k.a. the garden where Megan is having a really bad time:

Spoiler:
GardenBadTime.png

I think Cueball has finally been distracted from his duck contemplation...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:13 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Heh, not on mine either :mrgreen: It's more fun to make up amusing scenes!

For example, let's check in on Phallus Garden, a.k.a. the garden where Megan is having a really bad time:

Spoiler:
GardenBadTime.png

You'd think he'd be paying more notice to the flying Megans.

I do wish the scene didn't keep going back to the Loading tree so often. Oh well, I did grow another lamppost pole, on the other side near the octopuses.

ETA It's still loading, which is good, since I really need to get some work done.

xkcd: Lowering workplace productivity since 2005!

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

chibimuse

Postby chibimuse » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:23 pm UTC

image.jpeg
I got one of those table leg lookingthings! It looks like a sign post now. It grew the extension under white light but it took ages

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:32 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Heh, not on mine either :mrgreen: It's more fun to make up amusing scenes!

Spoiler:
GardenBadTime.png

I don't know whether to say hoorah for you getting flying Meghans, or be jealous because I'm now not the only one.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:39 pm UTC

Your scary orangey-light garden is a thing of beauty and terror and a true inspiration.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:44 pm UTC

Mostly terror. I'll have nightmares from here on of flying Meghans, ipod-listening birds and Cthulhus.

Yeah, definitely mostly terror. Still, thank you. :D

Also, it looks like that bird is dragging Meghan. Perhaps it collects Meghans to build a nest with?

fatness

Postby fatness » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:23 pm UTC

After a several hour dormant period mine has now sprouted several things on the platform...

570529b3.jpg
Activity increasing in orangeland.

The_Alchemist

Postby The_Alchemist » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:42 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:
The_Alchemist wrote:And then one has various items (a tilting cactus and vertical lines (antennae?) that I can't delete. One garden is completely impervious to ANY pruning or deletion. Anyone else have that phenomenon?

I was seeing a similar problem (also with vertical lines and the little mini-cactuses), but what I found was that if I deleted the item 5-10 times, eventually it disappeared. I think what was happening is 5-10 of the same item overlapped in the same place, so I was actually deleting multiple copies, but it gave the impression at first that the item simply wouldn't delete. Also, turn all lights off of the area when you do so. I've found multiple times that I delete something and it grows right back 3 seconds later if I still have the same light there that grew it there in the first place! If you already have overlaps, chances are that item REALLY wants to grow there, so even as you are deleting layers of that object, it could be growing back in the meantime.

I can't even select the items to delete. They won't grey out or get a circle around them.

teelo

Postby teelo » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:52 pm UTC

So... do I need to leave the tab open for anything to actually grow? It makes my computer slow when run in the background... and I have a pretty beefy gaming rig, too :(

fatness

Postby fatness » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:55 pm UTC

Mine isn't taxing the CPU that much but it is consuming copious amounts of RAM in Chrome. I've had things show up while nothing was 'looking" so I'm not sure it has to be in an active tab to grow.

teelo

Postby teelo » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:56 pm UTC

Well I tried bookmarking it, closing it, and leaving it for the night. Nothing grew. Just not sure if it needs to be open in the client for anything to grow, or whether I just failed at setting up the lights.

MDS_Dan

Postby MDS_Dan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:58 pm UTC

canvas.png

Is... Is it normal to have that many turtles?

The_Alchemist

Postby The_Alchemist » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:02 pm UTC

MDS_Dan wrote:
canvas.png

BWAHAHAHAHA Is ANYTHING about this normal? :shock:

It's a hell of a lot more normal than Mar's rovers, Cthulhu tentacles and pianos played by bunnies.

DonJaime

Postby DonJaime » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:19 pm UTC

In just what sense is this ...

canvas.png

... a "garden"?
I don't think 'pedant' is really the right word.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:23 pm UTC

Martian garden. With Martian tortoises.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

MDS_Dan

Postby MDS_Dan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:24 pm UTC

DonJaime wrote:In just what sense is this ...

canvas.png

... a "garden"?

Perhaps Curiosity discovered the ruins of a garden?

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:25 pm UTC

MDS_Dan wrote:
canvas.png

Ahem.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=114415&start=200#p3950892

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:33 pm UTC

I joked about the lights being UFOs earlier, but now I think my garden actually grew a UFO in the middle of it:

Spoiler:
GardenUFO.png

Either that or possibly some kind of hat. Image
It's at the 11 o'clock position on a blank circle that grows from the desk.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:41 pm UTC

An upside down flying bird, and another bird being stuck to an ipod dragged by a third bird. And a deer growing platforms out of its back.

That UFO explains SO much. It's the work of aliens.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”