1663: "Garden"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: 1663: "Garden"

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:43 pm UTC

That's why the Megans have the swords - to fight off the alien invasion.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

MDS_Dan

Postby MDS_Dan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:50 pm UTC

I think one the birds is being abducted by aliens.

Side note, what if the Garden is just stuff the aliens had previously abducted, and are just beaming back down to Earth? It would explain why the objects appear out of nowhere and how you can "grow" no-organic stuff, or stuff from other planets (like the mars rover). You signal them with lights and they beam down objects accordingly (perhaps they could also accelerate plant growth?)

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:54 pm UTC

MDS_Dan wrote:I think one the birds is being abducted by aliens.

Side note, what if the Garden is just stuff the aliens had previously abducted, and are just beaming back down to Earth? It would explain why the objects appear out of nowhere and how you can "grow" no-organic stuff, or stuff from other planets (like the mars rover). You signal them with lights and they beam down objects accordingly (perhaps they could also accelerate plant growth?)

And their 3D GPS is botched, explaining why things are floating in mid-air.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

donnada

Postby donnada » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:50 pm UTC

It seems like there are several new objects that weren't appearing before. (alien spaceship, new pillar design, the cat, the star cactus etc.) Would it be possible that new objects are added over time?
Also anyone know what light combination it takes to get the star cactus, and/or the cat?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:47 pm UTC

A star cactus is really two things: the starplant overlapped with a cactus. It's easier to get that combo by growing them out of a flowerpot because then they'll be prone to spawn in the same place. Cactii require red light, and I've had luck with cats and starplants with a very slight bluish white:

Spoiler:
GardenStarsAndCats.png

I've gotten 3 or 4 cats on that top platform level, and 3 different starplants, since I started shining that very-light-blue lamp to the far left on them. The cactii embedded in the platforms are because I had red light in that area earlier, which I now regret... it's basically impossible to select the cactii because all the little tables seem to take priority. To remove the cactii I would have to remove the tables, which would remove the cats, etc. :|
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:20 am UTC

An interesting thing...

I'd been playing with my setup (namely "Garden1" from this post, so you can reference it), including setting up reversed red/blue and pruning some cactii and a couple of the octopuses/octopii, amongst other things.

I then closed the tab for the best part of the day, to see if anything would grow when not browsed-upon (which I suspected it wouldn't).

Interestingly, when I re-opened the tab things did grow. Not new things, but (some) previous objects have grown in size!
Spoiler:
Garden1b.PNG

It seems that the octopodes/octopoxen and the cat images are incorrectly scaled (note also what I think is a scaled anti-aliasing border, around the octopae, not visible normally), but everything else (turtles, cactuses, snakes, grounded bird, balloon and balloon strings, even the lights themselves) are not.

(Oh, and, in this version of the prior setup, the balloon and ballon-stick/string-things are blowing from the (now switched) blue-illuminated ground towards the red-illuminated ground (both illumination and 'breeze' being reversed)... This screenshot just happened to be whilst they were all very nearly at their most vertical.)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:26 am UTC

Wow, those giant octopuses are scary. I should probably be scared of the giant kitten too, but d'aww you're a kitty!

Middle Cueball, having given up table-stacking, is now making a living as a wand salesman.

Spoiler:
GardenForSale.png

The light setup there is what grew the SALE sign.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

MDS_Dan

Postby MDS_Dan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:31 am UTC

donnada wrote:It seems like there are several new objects that weren't appearing before. (alien spaceship, new pillar design, the cat, the star cactus etc.) Would it be possible that new objects are added over time?
Also anyone know what light combination it takes to get the star cactus, and/or the cat?

Possibly. Or maybe the stuff was already there but it "unlocked" as time went on (which would be suspiciously reminiscent of "Time"). Or perhaps it was always there but we just didn't find it until recently. Either way, it's probably still too early to tell.

MDS_Dan

Postby MDS_Dan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:52 am UTC

Funnily enough, giant things have been growing in mine too.
gaint-octopus-xkcd-garden.png

The octopus growing out of the anvil has grown giant, and a giant pot has also spawned

Also, orange light does indeed grow flying things
Levitating-table-xkcd-garden.png

just not the kind I was expecting.

Edit: It's getting worse
ridiculous.png

teelo

Postby teelo » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:56 am UTC

Holy crap. Using Firefox, I left it running in the background for an hour, and the memory usage spiralled out of control. The tab ended up using up all my systems memory (24GB) and I had a Windows System error message until I closed the tab.

Guys. Davean, Randall, whoever made it. Memory issues!

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:07 am UTC

Randall and who was that again?
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

MDS_Dan

Postby MDS_Dan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:18 am UTC

Weeks wrote:Randall and who was that again?

Davean

He does most of the server maintenance and coding for the websites

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:20 am UTC

Oh does he? What's his name again? Sorry I'm hard of hearing.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:30 am UTC

It's a trap!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

The_Alchemist

Postby The_Alchemist » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:40 am UTC

MDS_Dan wrote:Funnily enough, giant things have been growing in mine too.
gaint-octopus-xkcd-garden.png

Yeah, I got a giant octopus too:

http://www.xkcd.com/1663/#85fa507c-fc42 ... 010a8e0017

and a huge crop of regular ones too.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:42 am UTC

It figures that the first time I get a rover it would be a stupidly oversized one:

Spoiler:
GardenOversizeGlitch.png

On the other hand I have no trouble believing that the cat can take down the deer now.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:59 am UTC

Gigantism going on in my garden as well now. The duck that was daintily perched on Cueball's head before now threatens to flatten him.

Things that have grown:
    octopus (but not its balloon)
    cat
    duck
    desk/chair
    rover
    some of the plants

None of the things that grew were under lights. One of my gardens is open both in the original browser and as view-only elsewhere - the view-only octopus is bigger while the original is not.

Spoiler:
giant.png

*Kat*

Postby *Kat* » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:11 am UTC

I finally started growing my garden today and so far I've got a girl on stilts.

Look out little birdie.

I'm curious to find out what happens if I just have two lights going at once. I also wish I had the option of five lights for a prism effect.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:12 am UTC

Wow, that's cool! Haven't seen stilt girl before!

So it turns out that MiddleCue wasn't selling wands - he's selling kittens.
And it's working, because a new Megan just materialized in front of him!

Spoiler:
GardenCueKittenSale.png

(Please ignore the awkward UFO placement on RightCue. I'm not sure what's going on there.)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Reka

Postby Reka » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:23 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:(Please ignore the awkward UFO placement on RightCue. I'm not sure what's going on there.)

Obviously, he's thrown the UFO over his arm in preparation for climbing up the platform so he can launch said UFO.

I'm envious of all you peoples' office furniture. The closest I've gotten is one of those small platform/table things (the things BlitzGirl has Megan and Cueball competing in a balancing contest with), only it's enormous, and it's growing out of Bambi's neck. (And it's in a garden where I'm actually trying to grow flying things, with not much success so far.)

http://xkcd.com/1663/#7fc69518-fbbf-11e ... 010a8e000a

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:50 am UTC

Not to be outdone by her former table-stacking rival MiddleCue, strongMegan announces her own sale:

Spoiler:
GardenMeganSale.png

I'm not sure if it's a sale on snakes, tables, or the kittens at the top... but it does look rather impressive.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:44 am UTC

I so want a stilt girl! And some flying stuff. My gardens seem determined to stay earthbound.

The gigantitude appears to be browser-dependent - I see it in Firefox but not in Chrome. Here's The_Alchemist's garden in Firefox, overrun by octopusauruses:

alchemist-firefox.png

while in Chrome the same URL looks quite different:

alchemist-chrome.png

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:09 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:The gigantitude appears to be browser-dependent - I see it in Firefox but not in Chrome.

Not so sure this is true. I haven't seen any giant stuff in gardens on Firefox, but I have in Chrome and IE.
(The flying stuff takes a looong time to grow, and it seems some gardens just don't have the knack for it...)

This is a Chrome garden, which hasn't made any flying stuff even after many hours bathed in orangey light. That very odd bush on the left spawned from a yellow-orange tentacle-vine originally, and I just kind of let it grow wild. Now it's produced a pair of roses under a combo of red and blue light!

Spoiler:
GardenRosebush.png

Also two new columns have appeared. The one on the left gained that flat top just a couple of minutes ago.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:27 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote: I haven't seen any giant stuff in gardens on Firefox, but I have in Chrome and IE.

Hmm, so not something about those particular browser versions then, but definitely something related to the viewing environment... *clickity click*... Yep, looks like the same garden is giant-ified in 2 different browser types in Ubuntu, but not in any of 3 browsers on my Mac.

Mustard, perchance?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:38 am UTC

Mustard it be! Image

Oh hey, I've developed a backstory for the swordless Megan in the UFO garden. See, she's actually a witch, so she doesn't need a sword. But the octopus spell she summoned to attack the UFO backfired and turned on her (she's not a very accomplished witch). Luckily, her trusty Great Horned Owl was near to hand and she's going to send him off for help just as soon as she can attach a letter...

Spoiler:
GardenOwl.png

In other news, I think the platformdeer stole that bird's iPod.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

EarlBlue

Postby EarlBlue » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:28 am UTC

My gardens started to grow stuff at night even without keeping them open. I got giant cats and octopuses on one garden. On the other I found giant lamps with a green LED light on the side and the grass has some sort of clump of dirt/roots attached.

http://xkcd.com/1663/#19c833ae-fbc7-11e ... 010a8e0009
Attachments
Cattura.JPG
Last edited by EarlBlue on Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:35 am UTC

If only Witch Megan could sit down at the desk to write her letter! It's so close, but there appear to be tentacles in the way.

Also, I seriously covet that owl. Is that teeny thing on the left-hand edge the end of an ipod?

In my quest to grow flying things, I have managed to grow a bunch of tiny specks which I am watching with interest to see if they develop. Almost all of them appeared in non-lit areas. I also have a couple of ipods growing out of the ground which surely means birds are on the way, right?

Icalasari

Postby Icalasari » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:36 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
xpatiate wrote:The gigantitude appears to be browser-dependent - I see it in Firefox but not in Chrome.

Not so sure this is true. I haven't seen any giant stuff in gardens on Firefox, but I have in Chrome and IE.
(The flying stuff takes a looong time to grow, and it seems some gardens just don't have the knack for it...)

This is a Chrome garden, which hasn't made any flying stuff even after many hours bathed in orangey light. That very odd bush on the left spawned from a yellow-orange tentacle-vine originally, and I just kind of let it grow wild. Now it's produced a pair of roses under a combo of red and blue light!

Also two new columns have appeared. The one on the left gained that flat top just a couple of minutes ago.

The column that is almost dead center underneath the yellow light - I got two of those from a blue and white combo

Well, actually, four of them, but they are tied together as pairs. Pruned one (two? Does it count as two or one?) and left the other alone

Ugi

Postby Ugi » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:39 am UTC

Interesting to see all the new things and giant things.

I get the feeling that new things are becoming available over time, since they are cropping up in several gardens over a short time when they have previously not been available. I wonder whether there is some automated (or indeed manual) process which is making new stuff available from the backlog of all the comics.

It appears that a completely unattended garden, even open in a browser window, will stagnate fairly quickly. I have several running unattended over the last 24 hours and they have put on little growth during that time in comparison with the rapid growth while I was clicking in and out of them and pruning a little.

I have had one ipod-bird grow under red light rather than orange, but my orange garden is replete with birds and flying Meghans so perhaps it's a chance thing based on how different your light colour is from the "home" colour of an object.

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:05 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:I also like that in this one, Beret-guy is growing out of the little bush. Apparently his body only exists from about the pancreas upwards.

Now I have one of those too! Previously he had only ever popped his head up in the creek at the left. I love how he is swaying with the breeze :) The garden seems to consider him more of an inanimate object/plant than an actual stick-human.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:16 am UTC

Icalasari wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Also two new columns have appeared. The one on the left gained that flat top just a couple of minutes ago.

The column that is almost dead center underneath the yellow light - I got two of those from a blue and white combo

Well, actually, four of them, but they are tied together as pairs. Pruned one (two? Does it count as two or one?) and left the other alone

Yeah, they seem to come in groups of one, two, or three (anyone found a four?) - there's a group of three on the left side of the Cuegarden here, putting Megan in jail. The set of two on the right-hand side is interesting because there's a little dot between the column tops that is definitely part of the set: it highlights when I select them and it doesn't seem to be able to be picked out by itself.

Spoiler:
GardenColumnSets.png

xpatiate wrote:Is that teeny thing on the left-hand edge the end of an ipod?

Yes indeed!

xpatiate wrote:In my quest to grow flying things, I have managed to grow a bunch of tiny specks which I am watching with interest to see if they develop. Almost all of them appeared in non-lit areas.

Interesting. The two kinds of spots I've grown are the column-inbetweener as mentioned earlier, and the specks left behind when I prune a beehive. I don't know if they're bees or what but I generally keep them around even after I've deleted the main object. You can see one on the left side of the beehive in the screenshot above.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

EarlBlue

Postby EarlBlue » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:39 am UTC

Did anyone else get a dock in the pond? It looks different than other structures. Also...GREEN LIGHTS ON OFFICE LAMPS!
Attachments
Cattura2.JPG

DonJaime

Postby DonJaime » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:40 am UTC

These extra-big Mars-rovers, pots and stuff seem to be a bug: things don't fit together properly any more: look at the plants in this:
Hero pots.png
Hero pots.png (13.43 KiB) Viewed 6130 times
and how unhappy they are in this:
Hero bug.png
Hero bug.png (21.19 KiB) Viewed 6130 times
And look how this inflated grass isn't properly rooted any more:
grass.png
grass.png (40.96 KiB) Viewed 6130 times
I don't think 'pedant' is really the right word.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:04 am UTC

This is very entertaining.
I can't grow a Cyber Garden.

I don't need my very own.
I enjoy the gardens you share.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

speising

Postby speising » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:04 am UTC

After a series of aesthetically unpleasing gardens, my phone grew this over night, complete with gently swaying StiltGirlTM:

Capture.JPG

The shrubbery is enlarged when i view it in IE, but normal in FF and Opera (Android).

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:27 am UTC

My own giantism occurred under the garden native to my SeaMonkey browser, but not in the garden native to my parallel Firefox browser. (I don't have Chrome on here, to test it with.)

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:27 am UTC

Top Garden: My garden has freckles! Also, I finally figured out what's going on! Randal's making a movie! A mash-up of Supergirl, The Birds, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Middle Garden:Walt Disney's Attack of The Mighty Ducks! I haven't had that opened in over a day, and when I come back, my ducks have grown. So, if anyone wanna check out if they see Mighty Ducks (TM) in my garden, it's at http://xkcd.com/1663/#137d862e-fa4c-11e ... 010a8e0007

Bottom Garden: That's actually not from the comic, that's a photo of my backyard.

Oddly enough, the two bottom gardens use white light, and when I see them on the website and in MS Paint, it's still white. When I see the thumbnails of the saved files, they're white, but when I open them in Windows Photo Viewer, it becomes yellow. Same with when I see them now as I'm writing this, they're yellow. So I have no idea what colour you all see.

Also EarlBlue, you might wanna help out Beret Guy so he doesn't drown in quicksand.

Spoiler:
xkcd10.png
xkcd11.png
xkcd12.png
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:37 am UTC

Wow, those certainly are a lot of little specks there. They look like bugs, maybe?

I've got a monstrous trapezoid in my Cuegarden now on top of a column pair. I'm not exactly sure what it is but the turtle seems to enjoy it.

Spoiler:
GardenTrapezoid.png

I dunno, I think it's kind of ugly. Not sure I'll be keeping that.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:39 am UTC

It's a bathtub, and that's a Jesus turtle, walking on water.

And yeah, those probably are bugs. Birds can't live off of flying Meghans alone, you know.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:44 am UTC

Well, they probably could if the Megans are already dead. They'd have to be carrion birds, though.

I just noticed that Phallus Garden has specks all over it, too, but it's also been bit by the rendering bug. I hope that gets fixed at some point...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”