1663: "Garden"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ThemePark

Re: 1663: "Garden"

Postby ThemePark » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:57 am UTC

There's an awful lot of balancing going on in your garden. I'm not sure how the turtles are managing to stay upright. A snake has just hatched from its egg, as witnessed by the two heat lamps pointing at it, and Cueball has conquered an alien and is now using his vehicle as a shield.

This is the strangest comic I have ever seen.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

EarlBlue

Postby EarlBlue » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:01 am UTC

ThemePark wrote:
Also EarlBlue, you might wanna help out Beret Guy so he doesn't drown in quicksand.

Do you think it was Ponytail who put him there? She is suspiciously hiding in the bushes...

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:27 pm UTC

It certainly could be. Or it could be the two Meghan witches. Best delete them all, so they don't suddenly throw any of the wildlife in there.

I mentioned getting a lot of big circles in my Twilight Zone garden yesterday. Today I noticed something. Those little specks are at the perimeter of those big circles. So I think it's either an image that was not uploaded right to the linden server, or it's the same object that fails to render due to not enough memory, given how much memory people say this is using. So maybe they disappear if you only have one tab open with just a previously freckled garden, and instead it will display that object, after some time.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

The_Alchemist

Postby The_Alchemist » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:29 pm UTC

xpatiate wrote:I so want a stilt girl! And some flying stuff. My gardens seem determined to stay earthbound.

The gigantitude appears to be browser-dependent - I see it in Firefox but not in Chrome. Here's The_Alchemist's garden in Firefox, overrun by octopusauruses:

The attachment alchemist-firefox.png is no longer available

while in Chrome the same URL looks quite different:

cueball skull.png

I was at first going to say that was cool. And I guess it is, but only because it reminded me of my garden. But then I saw it IS my garden.

Oh, how utterly bizarre. That isn't what it looks like for me at all. I'm actually growing it in Pale Moon and there are only octopusaurases in the water to the left.

In another I have a duck the size of a tree.

Also
cueball skull.png

I know it is the overlay of super rover and cueball, but my first impression is a cueball skelington or cueball skull.

I think this is all going very cthutiallian. That quoted image above no longer will show the mass of writhing octopusaurases but instead a panel....which being a captured image shouldn't be possible.

karhell

Postby karhell » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:36 pm UTC

That gigantism epidemic makes things even stranger than they were...
Now, Black Ponytail is staying as far as humanly possible from the Attack of the Giant Octopus while Cueball contemplates what to do with the giant puss
Spoiler:
garden_001.png
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:43 pm UTC

The_Alchemist, I too use Pale Moon, but I also have the gigantism epidemic. What's even more odd is that I just installed Chrome to test your garden, but unlike xpatiate, I also get the giant octopii in Chrome.

Zesparia

Postby Zesparia » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:09 pm UTC

I too have been struck by gigantism, perhaps we are on an island? I'm running firefox and overnight got a huge balloon. Also cueball is standing on a desk and an owl is perched on cueball's face.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:18 pm UTC

Looks like lots of weird developments for everyone lately!

I do think the gigantism is some sort of rendering bug when transferring a garden to a browser it didn't begin in. All of my gardens look fine in IE where I've been running them, but when I move them to Firefox, nearly half the objects gigantify. Kind of a shame. I was hoping it might be intentional--that the things naturally grow bigger with time! Anyway, mistake or not, it's kind of amusing.

I also think there are definitely new objects, either because they've been added after it all began, or they were programmed to appear later on. For example, I have one garden in which I've left the lights exactly the same for days, and it had basically stopped growing, but all of the sudden one of those "sale" signs popped up about the same time they appeared in BlitzGirl's gardens. I don't think they were available to grow before that.

I've noticed that my gardens are growing less than they used to. I think it's because they are far too overgrown and I need to prune them. But sometimes I feel somehow oddly guilty when I prune. :(
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Lokiparts

Postby Lokiparts » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:20 pm UTC

So far my garden has managed to just be a fairly normal garden. That is as long as you ignore the giant octopus climbing out of the pond. Otherwise it's just trees bushes a birdbath and a deer.

Zesparia

Postby Zesparia » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:22 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:
I do think the gigantism is some sort of rendering bug when transferring a garden to a browser it didn't begin in. :(

Nah, I started in firefox and haven't switched from it. I've had the same tab open since Monday.

richP

Postby richP » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:23 pm UTC

I thought I woke up to snow in my garden (just like IRL), but after reviewing the comments here, I'm wondering if I'm about to have an invasion of UFOs or flying Megans.

hmm.... UFO and the Flying Megans would be a great band name.
Attachments
garden_snow.png
desert snow

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:23 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:I do think the gigantism is some sort of rendering bug when transferring a garden to a browser it didn't begin in. All of my gardens look fine in IE where I've been running them, but when I move them to Firefox, nearly half the objects gigantify. Kind of a shame. I was hoping it might be intentional--that the things naturally grow bigger with time! Anyway, mistake or not, it's kind of amusing.

Nah, I can rule that out as I've only ever opened new garden in Pale Moon, and I too got the gigantism bug (achoo). If I've opened a garden in another browser, I've still kept the original open.

Also, damn you Zesparia, you ninja you!

Lokiparts

Postby Lokiparts » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:48 pm UTC

Now I have a bird and a snake too. Plus I figured out how to attach an image!

My garden is so normal compared to most everyone else's. Which is why I refuse to remove the giant octopus. It just adds a little bit of much needed weirdness.

orion205

Postby orion205 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:09 pm UTC

DonJaime wrote:These extra-big Mars-rovers, pots and stuff seem to be a bug: things don't fit together properly any more.

It may be a bug, but I still don't think the bird in Megan's right hand stands a chance.

A bird in the hand...

ThemePark wrote:Oddly enough, the two bottom gardens use white light, and when I see them on the website and in MS Paint, it's still white. When I see the thumbnails of the saved files, they're white, but when I open them in Windows Photo Viewer, it becomes yellow. Same with when I see them now as I'm writing this, they're yellow. So I have no idea what colour you all see.

That's because Photo Viewer uses some screwed up color management feature. You might be able to fix it.

Spoiler:
Garden1.png
Last edited by orion205 on Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:15 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

nicodemus

Postby nicodemus » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:10 pm UTC

My own favourite so far is this one, which (after some pruning) is looking like the last two tortoise remnants at a mega-octopus Black Friday Sale. (Posted with url since I can't seem to post photos, yet. http://xkcd.com/1663/#30951b7e-fc12-11e5-8001-42010a8e0009

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:16 pm UTC

orion205 wrote:That's because Photo Viewer uses some screwed up color management feature. You might be able to fix it.

HALLELUJAH! I can see clearly now the yellow's gone :D Though I still see it as yellow on the images I posted here, rather than the white it's supposed to be.

Lokiparts

Postby Lokiparts » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:37 pm UTC

nicodemus wrote:My own favourite so far is this one, which (after some pruning) is looking like the last two tortoise remnants at a mega-octopus Black Friday Sale. (Posted with url since I can't seem to post photos, yet. http://xkcd.com/1663/#30951b7e-fc12-11e5-8001-42010a8e0009

Haha! That's hilarious! It does look like a stampede of octopi.

cameroda

Postby cameroda » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:53 pm UTC

My gigantism is manifesting in balloons...

http://www.xkcd.com/#1257b990-fa74-11e5 ... 010a8e0015

Reka

Postby Reka » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:11 pm UTC

sticky turtle.png

The column is obscuring things, but I have a tentacle growing from a turtle which is stuck to the underside of a giant table/platform which is growing from the neck of a poor innocent deer. I also have a lot of little specks that appear around the edges of otherwise-blank selectable circles. I keep hoping they'll turn into iPod-toting birds and/or floating Megans, but so far all I've gotten is two ordinary birds. Oh, and the whole place is apparently for sale.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:41 pm UTC

cameroda wrote:My gigantism is manifesting in balloons...

http://www.xkcd.com/#1257b990-fa74-11e5 ... 010a8e0015

Well, at least that proves I wasn't going crazy when I saw birds swaying in the wind. I suspect Beret Guy is up to no good, involving those weather balloons and Meghan.

Reka

Postby Reka » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:53 pm UTC

I just noticed: in another garden, my formerly-gigantified Mars rover and kitty-cat have gone back to normal size. Wah. (It's not a browser thing: I've only ever viewed this garden in Firefox.) Oh! And the giganto-table growing from Bambi's neck? It's now normal sized, growing from the deer's back, and has acquired a second table on top. (I pruned the column.)
sticky turtle 2.png

Rossegacebes

Postby Rossegacebes » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:57 pm UTC

Today I started a minimalist garden: just a default yellow light on the creek and a blue light near the right edge. The creek has some grass, and a giant octopus appeared in the blue region. I went away for a couple of hours, and when I came back the octopus had moved to the left and shrunk to normal size!

There appears to be some action...

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:03 pm UTC

Reka wrote:I just noticed: in another garden, my formerly-gigantified Mars rover and kitty-cat have gone back to normal size. Wah. (It's not a browser thing: I've only ever viewed this garden in Firefox.) Oh! And the giganto-table growing from Bambi's neck? It's now normal sized, growing from the deer's back, and has acquired a second table on top. (I pruned the column.)
sticky turtle 2.png

Yeah, same here. Seems the gigantium bug has been eradicated, sadly. And the same goes for the freckles.
Last edited by ThemePark on Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

supertommy6

Postby supertommy6 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:05 pm UTC

So, I started a garden yesterday, but upon returning today I'm no longer able to edit my garden. Is there a trick to re-enable editing, or do you have to make all of your adjustments in your first session, and from then on out it's view-only?

Thanks for your help!

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:48 pm UTC

Finally got a flying thing! (It's a bird with an iPod, holding it right next to Beret-guy's ear)

Oddly, I also just got a random Cue-ball head stick out of the ground. Just the top 2/3 or so. Might be a rock that is white/transparent the way the cats are? But it looks like a Cue-ball head.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Zesparia

Postby Zesparia » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:03 pm UTC

ThemePark wrote:
Reka wrote:I just noticed: in another garden, my formerly-gigantified Mars rover and kitty-cat have gone back to normal size. Wah. (It's not a browser thing: I've only ever viewed this garden in Firefox.) Oh! And the giganto-table growing from Bambi's neck? It's now normal sized, growing from the deer's back, and has acquired a second table on top. (I pruned the column.)
sticky turtle 2.png

Yeah, same here. Seems the gigantium bug has been eradicated, sadly. And the same goes for the freckles.

I grew another giant balloon in the past hour, nothing in my garden has fluctuated size. They appeared big and have not changed.

Also finally grew some normal tables, hoping I can expand these into platforms!

Lokiparts

Postby Lokiparts » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:26 pm UTC

supertommy6 wrote:So, I started a garden yesterday, but upon returning today I'm no longer able to edit my garden. Is there a trick to re-enable editing, or do you have to make all of your adjustments in your first session, and from then on out it's view-only?

Thanks for your help!

When you create a garden you get a unique URL for it. As long as you open that URL from the same browser that originally started the garden you can continue to edit it. If you open that URL from another browser or another computer you can only view the garden.

supertommy6

Postby supertommy6 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:29 pm UTC

Lokiparts wrote:When you create a garden you get a unique URL for it. As long as you open that URL from the same browser that originally started the garden you can continue to edit it. If you open that URL from another browser or another computer you can only view the garden.

I am using the same browser, but it's still not editable. Does it rely on cookies or something? I delete all my cookies after each browser session.

Lokiparts

Postby Lokiparts » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:32 pm UTC

supertommy6 wrote:
Lokiparts wrote:When you create a garden you get a unique URL for it. As long as you open that URL from the same browser that originally started the garden you can continue to edit it. If you open that URL from another browser or another computer you can only view the garden.

I am using the same browser, but it's still not editable. Does it rely on cookies or something? I delete all my cookies after each browser session.

Yes it does, that's how it can tell which browser initially created it.

supertommy6

Postby supertommy6 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:39 pm UTC

Lokiparts wrote:Yes it does, that's how it can tell which browser initially created it.

Got it... has anybody looked into faking the cookie to regain editing capabilities?

Lokiparts

Postby Lokiparts » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:19 pm UTC

supertommy6 wrote:
Lokiparts wrote:Yes it does, that's how it can tell which browser initially created it.

Got it... has anybody looked into faking the cookie to regain editing capabilities?

I have no idea if this has been done, or how it could be. But honestly it might be easier to just start over and save the cookie for the new garden before clearing them next time.

supertommy6

Postby supertommy6 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:54 pm UTC

Lokiparts wrote:I have no idea if this has been done, or how it could be. But honestly it might be easier to just start over and save the cookie for the new garden before clearing them next time.

Fair enough! Thanks for taking the time to respond... I appreciate it!

The_Alchemist

Postby The_Alchemist » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:18 pm UTC

Lokiparts wrote:
supertommy6 wrote:So, I started a garden yesterday, but upon returning today I'm no longer able to edit my garden. Is there a trick to re-enable editing, or do you have to make all of your adjustments in your first session, and from then on out it's view-only?

Thanks for your help!

When you create a garden you get a unique URL for it. As long as you open that URL from the same browser that originally started the garden you can continue to edit it. If you open that URL from another browser or another computer you can only view the garden.

That may be one way to loss access, but I've had a couple gardens just go uneditable too from just one browser. They stopped growing so I closed them. :cry:

Reka

Postby Reka » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:07 pm UTC

OK, I think I'm growing Hogwarts. Or at least a class at Hogwarts. Two teachers at the front of the class are telling students what to do with their wands. Three students are following along. One student is standing on a desk, pretending to hold the wand that he forgot to bring to class; I guess he's hoping nobody'll notice. One student at the back of the class is totally ignoring the proceedings, because his pet owl is sitting on his head. And one showoff is standing behind the teachers, balancing three wands on top of each other. I'm not sure where the balloons fit into the story, though. Or the rock piles. Or the obelisk. (There used to be three other obelisks, but all the interesting things were happening behind them, so they fell victim to the pruning shears.)
hogwarts.png

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:12 pm UTC

Ha, love the Hogwarts classroom and the owl on Cueball's head! Image

I had to prune most of the Rose Garden away because the column/trapezoid growth was getting bulky and unattractive. I am rather pleased with the new Level Five Beehive, though.

Spoiler:
GardenBeehiveFive.png

Catzilla has returned to normal cat size... for now.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

MDS_Dan

Postby MDS_Dan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:13 pm UTC

sellingturtle.png

Hey my giant pot and octopus have gone back to normal size!

(Also, I'm selling turtles apparently)

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:31 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:I do think the gigantism is some sort of rendering bug when transferring a garden to a browser it didn't begin in.

I've never tried to display a garden outside of the browser that I first birthed it within (and had assumed it would be read-only, if I did so, because of whatever alchemy generates a unique ID for each new garden and then ensures that the original owner of said ID gets to edit it, still, whilst read-only elsewhere).

However, I just changed my monitor. (Rebooted the machine, after a day out, and when it came up again I found that the display backlight had gone kaput!) That doesn't seem to me to warrant any significant change (except now I've got more resolution!), but the garden in Firefox (that's the Garden 2 one, and here's the link, if you want it) is still as before (give or take maybe an extra 'weed', which I like, so won't be pruning), whilst the garden in SeaMonkey (the Garden1 one that displayed the gigantism: linky) is now 'read-only'. And (apart from growing a table, in the now blue-lit turtle-hatted-cactii field) the gigantism reverted as well (it was still there when I refreshed the page the first time, looking for the "edit controls", but then it shrank back when I shift-refreshed... and still no edit-controls... looks like it's uneditable, and can now be only on autopilot).

I haven't yet dared to shift-refresh the Firefox one, lest that's what caused the 'edit-capability' link to be broken. (I had assumed some modern form of cookie, to be honest... but hadn't delved into the page-source/http-request to actually check which method it was.) I'd rather not abandon both gardens to uneditable autopilot before I actually get bored (or Randall and his server-side henchmen do, should that come sooner!)...
Last edited by Soupspoon on Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:32 pm UTC

I'm loving my Twilight Zone garden more and more. Now two birds, doing whatever it is they do, have formed a perfectly symmetrical butterfly on the left.
Spoiler:
xkcdbest.png

Reka

Postby Reka » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:40 pm UTC

Update on Hogwarts: the class is apparently learning a balloon-conjuring spell, but so far, only Mr. Show-Off has been successful at it. Also, they've gained a new, transparent, student, who also forgot his wand, and also decided that standing on a desk would take attention away from this fact.
hogwarts2.png
(One of the standing-on-desk Cueballs will be mercilessly pruned shortly, I'm just not sure which one.)

My own version of a Twilight Zone garden is looking, well, Twilight Zone-y. (I'm trying to convince the spotlighted tentacle to grow some roses, but no luck so far.)
twilight-zone.png

The_Alchemist

Postby The_Alchemist » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:43 pm UTC

Well, apparently in at least Palemoon, you can only have one XKCD garden at a time open. I started a new one and the previous one immediately lost the ability to edit.

What color/setting are people using for Twilight? Between yellow and red?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”