1663: "Garden"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ThemePark

Re: 1663: "Garden"

Postby ThemePark » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:50 pm UTC

The_Alchemist wrote:Well, apparently in at least Palemoon, you can only have one XKCD garden at a time open. I started a new one and the previous one immediately lost the ability to edit.

What color/setting are people using for Twilight? Between yellow and red?

Sorry, but that's not true either. I have several open at a time, and I can move lamps and delete objects. Given how much CPU and RAM the gardens seem to require, maybe that happens because your computer can't do no more. Or you're too impatient, I've experienced several times where it would take several seconds before the garden would reflect what I did.

As for my Twilight Zone garden, I've tried putting the circle at about 45 degrees, and with maximum light width.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:57 pm UTC

Lokiparts wrote:
supertommy6 wrote:I am using the same browser, but it's still not editable. Does it rely on cookies or something? I delete all my cookies after each browser session.

Yes it does, that's how it can tell which browser initially created it.

Ah, not the only person with the problem...

Just checked, and my SeaMonkey cookies policy is not to delete cookies (it allows all cookies, and the retention policy is "Accept cookies normally", so nothing strange). I have NoScript installed (but haven't blocked anything XKCD-related, with it). FireFox has AdblockPlus, but already set to have no effects in any relevant ways.

With both <Environment><Mammal> browsers having effectively the same codesource/engine behind them (beyond such configuration changes as I've already hastily dismissed as irrelevant) I'm not sure what else could be involved in the behaviour differences. But, hey, that's going to have to be one of the great mysteries of the universe! ;)

(Darnit! Before sending I just had to check: Having, for the first time, tried using gardens across browser... the uneditable one from SeaMonkey into a different tab of FireFox (shown to be ReadOnly as expected)... it now appears that the 'native' FireFox garden has gone RO, too... Looks like I've come to the end of being able to direct either of them. Maybe I should start a new garden... But not now.)

crystalmeph

Postby crystalmeph » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:29 pm UTC

http://xkcd.com/1663/#98be72ca-fccd-11e ... 010a8e0013

garden9.png

Beret guy's lack of facial features make it difficult to determine his heading.

I can't decide if he is nearing the end of an epic quest where he crossed a desert, a snake-infested market, and a swamp to reach the temple, or if he's leaving the temple to go on an epic quest across a swamp, snake-infested market, and desert.

http://xkcd.com/1663/#b031672a-fa8c-11e ... 010a8e000d
garden80.png

Pruning is for sissies. The sword-Megans and their swordless captain are doing their best to fight off the octopus hordes, but the aforementioned lack of pruning (which is for sissies) allowed one to sneak in by climbing the giant oak tree. During the gigantism period, that Octopus swallowed the rightmost sword-Megan, but she fought mightily once swallowed and cut her way out with the sword. No screenshot though.

The_Alchemist

Postby The_Alchemist » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:40 pm UTC

I think this might be my most 'normal' looking garden start yet.

http://xkcd.com/1663/#20f019fe-fd01-11e ... 010a8e0015

....if you squint and don't too close at the tentacles.... :mrgreen:

The_Alchemist

Postby The_Alchemist » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:45 pm UTC

ThemePark wrote:
The_Alchemist wrote:Well, apparently in at least Palemoon, you can only have one XKCD garden at a time open. I started a new one and the previous one immediately lost the ability to edit.

What color/setting are people using for Twilight? Between yellow and red?

Sorry, but that's not true either. I have several open at a time, and I can move lamps and delete objects. Given how much CPU and RAM the gardens seem to require, maybe that happens because your computer can't do no more. Or you're too impatient, I've experienced several times where it would take several seconds before the garden would reflect what I did.

As for my Twilight Zone garden, I've tried putting the circle at about 45 degrees, and with maximum light width.

If the windows are http://linden.xkcd.com then I find that true. I'm not actually seeing anything above normal for my CPU and RAM usage. 4 quad core processors are just humming along. You too are in PaleMoon?

Just more incomplete data I suspect.....Isn't Randall's mind fun?

spurious_sigpoll

Postby spurious_sigpoll » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:23 am UTC

I'm going to test the effect of some factors. I can currently think of:
    - color
    - light concentration
    - the effect of mixing multiple lights
Any other suggestions of things to test?

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:37 am UTC

spurious_sigpoll wrote:Any other suggestions of things to test?

Somebody suggested a detailed research plan a few pages back. I'd be interested to know whether pruning or moving lights around encourages growth, or if growth just happens at its own rate regardless of the amount of input.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:54 am UTC

Maybe make a note of the times when certain objects show up, just to see if there's a correlation?

I let another tentacle-bush grow wild in Phallus Garden, and it produced very long strings. I finally got a balloon on the end of one of them:

Spoiler:
GardenLongStrings.png

The long strings are particularly impressive in the wind. When the wind is hard-over to the right, the balloon bends over and touches the ground on the other side of Dryad Megan. Hard-over to the left it touches ground between the obelisk and Cueball.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Reka

Postby Reka » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:05 am UTC

spurious_sigpoll, the number of variables times the amount of time it takes to see results equals a mind-bogglingly huge experiment. In other words, maybe you need to *limit* your factors to test, not expand them. (For example, orange light grows flying things, but it takes days. For the first day or so, you won't see any hint of flying, and you'll wonder if what you mean by "orange light" is different from what the rest of us mean by "orange light".) That all said, have you seen http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/1663:_Garden/Users_gardens?

Also: BlitzGirl, just how many gardens do you have going???

And I have to post an update on Hogwarts: another student has had success with the balloon-conjuring, one of the professors has gotten bored with balloons and is playing with a cauldron instead (see, told you it was Hogwarts), and strangely even for Hogwarts, Beret Guy is swimming in the stream.
hogwarts3.png

VelNZ

Postby VelNZ » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:31 am UTC

This is such an awesome idea! Here's mine.

http://xkcd.com/1663/#aba5cfd4-fac3-11e ... 010a8e0003

dyoshida

Postby dyoshida » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:53 am UTC

I have a lamp dealership, run by a snake:

http://xkcd.com/1663/#2890a5fe-fbd8-11e ... 010a8e0018

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:56 am UTC

It looks like stilt girls can also get black hats under blue light:

Spoiler:
GardenStiltGirlHat.png
Meanwhile strongMegan continues to prove her strength by balancing an owl on her once-free hand. She fares better than her clone on the platform above, who seems to have been attacked by a bird she was trying to hold.

Reka wrote:Also: BlitzGirl, just how many gardens do you have going???

Six: Phallus Garden, Rose Garden, StrongMegan Garden, Cuegarden, the one with the desk and UFO, and another I haven't named yet. (It's spring break so I have plenty of free time to manage them.) I've found the spread makes it easier to get any new object in at least one of the gardens. For example, Phallus Garden is the only one to produce an obelisk in days, and Rose Garden is the only one to manage roses at all out of all the time I've had gardens.

Objects I still haven't managed to grow but am looking for are the lamp on the lamppost, the dock by the river, and a taller rock stack... I think everything else brought up in-thread has managed to sprout in one of the six at some point (though likely there are gaps I don't know about).
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Reka

Postby Reka » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:19 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Objects I still haven't managed to grow but am looking for are the lamp on the lamppost, the dock by the river, and a taller rock stack... I think everything else brought up in-thread has managed to sprout in one of the six at some point (though likely there are gaps I don't know about).

The list of images at explainxkcd has three sizes of five different rocks for the rock stacks ("cairns"). If we assume that rock stacks can only have one rock of each size, then the highest stack is 3. If we don't assume that, then the sky's the limit.

I think that the dock by the river is just a strategically-placed table.

I have no idea how to grow a lamppost. I really would like a Narnia garden.

fatness

Postby fatness » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:48 am UTC

The platform is gettin' pretty busy...

5706e357.jpg

addams

Postby addams » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:56 am UTC

nicodemus wrote:My own favourite so far is this one, which (after some pruning) is looking like the last two tortoise remnants at a mega-octopus Black Friday Sale. (Posted with url since I can't seem to post photos, yet. http://xkcd.com/1663/#30951b7e-fc12-11e5-8001-42010a8e0009

It is a Political Rally!
The Octopus and Turtles are showing support
for Sale the Turtle on the table.

Cueball is attempting to 'talk sense' to them.
They haven't turned violent on him. That's good.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:13 am UTC

Reka wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Objects I still haven't managed to grow but am looking for are the lamp on the lamppost, the dock by the river, and a taller rock stack... I think everything else brought up in-thread has managed to sprout in one of the six at some point (though likely there are gaps I don't know about).

The list of images at explainxkcd has three sizes of five different rocks for the rock stacks ("cairns"). If we assume that rock stacks can only have one rock of each size, then the highest stack is 3. If we don't assume that, then the sky's the limit.

The tallest rock stack I've managed at this point is two so there's definite room for improvement. Thanks for clarifying the table! I haven't managed to grow one of those yet.

Right now I have a lamppost with an arm but no lamp in UFO Garden. The post grows under reddish light. So far the only garden I've seen with the lamp top is lmjb's, and apparently that came from red light as well...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:32 am UTC

addams wrote:It is a Political Rally!

The turtles were envisaging a quiet mild-mannered rally with a few policy statements and promises of incremental improvement from Sale, but have been taken aback by an influx of loud octopodian gate-crashers shouting boorish slogans. Cueball, I suspect, is the media.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:49 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:

The turtles were envisaging a quiet mild-mannered rally with a few policy statements and promises of incremental improvement from Sale, but have been taken aback by an influx of loud octopodian gate-crashers shouting boorish slogans. Cueball, I suspect, is the media.

Yes.
That.

What unusual gardens you Posters grow.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:04 am UTC

Anyone else getting massive balloons in their garden?

Spoiler:
GardenBigBalloon.png

My first assumption was that it's a glitch because of all the other oversized objects from earlier, but it's not the same shape as the regular-sized balloons in my other gardens. This big one seems more spheroid. I looked upthread and saw that cameroda linked to a garden with the same big-balloon phenomenon during the time when everything else was glitching as well:

http://xkcd.com/1663/#1257b990-fa74-11e ... 010a8e0015

However that garden also has a couple of regular-sized balloons in it. I think it's possible that big-round-balloon is just a regular garden item. A quote from Zesparia earlier seems to align with this theory:

Zesparia wrote:
ThemePark wrote:Yeah, same here. Seems the gigantium bug has been eradicated, sadly. And the same goes for the freckles.

I grew another giant balloon in the past hour, nothing in my garden has fluctuated size. They appeared big and have not changed.

In which case, I wish that the big balloon had sprouted in the wide-open space on the end of my deer-string and not right in front of my strongMegan. It's huge!

EDIT: Wait, no, I just had to delete a clearly glitched oversize tuft of grass from my IE garden. So that issue is not completely resolved.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

nicodemus

Postby nicodemus » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:08 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:

Bloody invertebrate tentacle-slingers, always thinking they know what's best for reptiles! At least they've shrunk back to normal again. It was much more threatening when they were super-sized.

nicodemus

Postby nicodemus » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:18 am UTC

Reka wrote:

I managed to get one here: http://xkcd.com/1663/#7fa4e588-fb9e-11e5-8001-42010a8e000a. It grew under almost, but not quite, full red light. I believe this one is titled "From Narnia to Necropolis."

speising

Postby speising » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:56 am UTC

my firefox is eating all of my ram (16GB) with 2 gardens open. i'd really like to know how this is possible, as it is a 32bit process, and i don't see the used memory anywhere in task manager (only "physical memory 99%") or process explorer.

karhell

Postby karhell » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:45 am UTC

Looking through the image list (garden.linden.imgCache.imgs in the javascript console), the big balloon is called balloon-huge, so I'm going to guess it's meant to be that big.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

EarlBlue

Postby EarlBlue » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:33 am UTC

Ok so I got Beret guy thrown in the quicksand by blonde Ponytail, now hiding in the bushes. So I sent other Ponytail on stilts to rescue him, but she seems she is going to fall in soon. In the meanwhile, Megan is fighting off an invasive ivy.

(also, how can i embed an image saved locally?)
Attachments
Cattura.JPG

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:30 pm UTC

karhell wrote:Looking through the image list (garden.linden.imgCache.imgs in the javascript console), the big balloon is called balloon-huge, so I'm going to guess it's meant to be that big.

Monitoring this list for changes would reveal if Randall is still adding to it, which would explain why some items don't appear until later on, or if it's because they are scheduled to not take affect until after a certain passage of time.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

yan

Postby yan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:47 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:
karhell wrote:Looking through the image list (garden.linden.imgCache.imgs in the javascript console), the big balloon is called balloon-huge, so I'm going to guess it's meant to be that big.

Monitoring this list for changes would reveal if Randall is still adding to it, which would explain why some items don't appear until later on, or if it's because they are scheduled to not take affect until after a certain passage of time.

That wouldn't work, since the list only contains items that are used in the garden.

karhell

Postby karhell » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:02 pm UTC

yan wrote:
kenmelken wrote:

That wouldn't work, since the list only contains items that are used in the garden.

Indeed, the complete list is serverside, and pieces of it are added to each garden as needed, sort-of-Time-style.
The only reason I was able to check is that a big honking balloon appeared in the middle of my garden, smashing Cueball in the face (bluish white light, by the way).
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

An_Engineer

Postby An_Engineer » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:28 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Reka wrote:

The tallest rock stack I've managed at this point is two so there's definite room for improvement. Thanks for clarifying the table! I haven't managed to grow one of those yet.

Right now I have a lamppost with an arm but no lamp in UFO Garden. The post grows under reddish light. So far the only garden I've seen with the lamp top is lmjb's, and apparently that came from red light as well...

Sometimes you get identical rocks piled up, so you can go higher than 3. My current best is 5:
http://xkcd.com/1663/#c39c5544-fbcd-11e ... 010a8e0006

Obelisks, rocks, multiple Cueballs all pointing the same way. I think someone might be playing "Walk like an Egyptian" in the background.

AndrewGPaul

Postby AndrewGPaul » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:30 pm UTC

2016-04-08.png

I've got a gang of octopodes in a bathtub, and one solitary, rather dapper-looking one in a hat. He did have some friends, but I chased them away so I could see his choice of millinery more clearly.

edo

Postby edo » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:34 pm UTC

(Don't know if anyone caught this yet, since search is gone, and I'm not going to "Read it all" because the commandment only applies inside the One True Tread...)

Red+Violet produces the same environment as Yellow. I think the sources are blackbody radiators. (i.e. a 2700K source and a 7000K source produce something in between)

Also note that it makes sense as far as habitat: the red source will have a lot of infrared, so desert, the blue source will have a lot of ultraviolet, so it would be sterile, except underwater, so octopodes.

also seems growth is fastest in the yellow-to-white region
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

Reka

Postby Reka » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:43 pm UTC

nicodemus wrote:
Reka wrote:I have no idea how to grow a lamppost. I really would like a Narnia garden.

I managed to get one here: http://xkcd.com/1663/#7fa4e588-fb9e-11e5-8001-42010a8e000a. It grew under almost, but not quite, full red light. I believe this one is titled "From Narnia to Necropolis."

It's not really Narnia unless the lamppost is growing in the middle of a bunch of trees. I suppose with a lot of time, changing the lights periodically, and merciless pruning, it could be achieved.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:48 pm UTC

I have three question; I am sure someone has already asked them, but I am not going to dig around 11 pages just to find them.

About how long do I have to wait until something start to grow?
If I made a garden on Firefox on one computer, saved the URL to my flash drive, opened Firefox on another computer and put the URL into Firefox, will be garden be view only?
When my garden is not being viewed by anyone is it still keeping track of the time?
"You are not running off with Cow-Skull Man Dracula Skeletor!"
-Socrates

DonJaime

Postby DonJaime » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:30 pm UTC

Many of you will be longing to know what happens if you just leave a garden to develop for a few days with the single yellowish light provided, pruning nothing. This is one answer:
Attachments
vanilla.png
Last edited by DonJaime on Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I don't think 'pedant' is really the right word.

Zesparia

Postby Zesparia » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:32 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
However that garden also has a couple of regular-sized balloons in it. I think it's possible that big-round-balloon is just a regular garden item. A quote from Zesparia earlier seems to align with this theory:

Zesparia wrote:
ThemePark wrote:Yeah, same here. Seems the gigantium bug has been eradicated, sadly. And the same goes for the freckles.

I grew another giant balloon in the past hour, nothing in my garden has fluctuated size. They appeared big and have not changed.

In which case, I wish that the big balloon had sprouted in the wide-open space on the end of my deer-string and not right in front of my strongMegan. It's huge!

EDIT: Wait, no, I just had to delete a clearly glitched oversize tuft of grass from my IE garden. So that issue is not completely resolved.

I deleted one of the balloons by accident (though it was blocking everything else so I don't regret it too much) but here's my current garden

http://linden.xkcd.com/#00a012ce-fa97-1 ... 010a8e0015

I've got two owls now! Exciting stuff

Mouse-Keyboard

Postby Mouse-Keyboard » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:26 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Anyone else getting massive balloons in their garden?

Spoiler:
GardenBigBalloon.png

It doesn't have the white border giant objects have.

In other news: I appear to have a satellite dish (bird+tentacle):

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:54 pm UTC

jewish_scientist wrote:I have three question; I am sure someone has already asked them, but I am not going to dig around 11 pages just to find them.

1. About how long do I have to wait until something start to grow?
2. If I made a garden on Firefox on one computer, saved the URL to my flash drive, opened Firefox on another computer and put the URL into Firefox, will be garden be view only?
3. When my garden is not being viewed by anyone is it still keeping track of the time?

1. try waiting at least 15 minutes; the first object is likely to appear within 5 minutes, but I'm not sure if there's an upper bound
2. Indeed it'll be view-only. If you also move the cookie(s) (and perhaps the user agent header?) you'll probably retain write access.

I don't know about 3.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:17 pm UTC

Nice! That's useful to know. I guess I'll try to grow one somewhere else where I have the room for it.

Overnight the tentaclebush that I let grow super-wild in Phallus Garden seems to have sprouted thorns. They resemble the errant specks seen earlier.

Spoiler:
GardenThorns.png

I like the double cactus at the top of Megan's stack: it's actually two cactii leaning against one another but it rather looks as if they're stacked one on top of the other.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:41 pm UTC

I'm starting to get concerned about stilt-megan's swaying. Every once in a while she takes a hard lunge towards my cactus pile...
He/Him/His Image

automeris

Re: 1663: "Garden" -- retaining control

Postby automeris » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:54 pm UTC

I have been doing quite a bit of experimenting with gardens over the past few days, and I can answer questions or contribute further information on a number of points raised in this discussion about requirements for garden growth. But first I want to supply the information that people keep asking for about how to retain or regain the ability to make changes to a garden.

Editorial control over one's garden can be assured, and then regained if lost, by a method posted on the reddit XKCD discussion https://www.reddit.com/r/xkcd/comments/4da7yi/xkcd_1663_garden/d1q9ttm?context=1 by redditor doncajon.

> While you're on the xkcd-page, go to your browser's [web] console and enter the following line:

Code: Select all

for (var i=0; i<localStorage.length; i++) { console.log('localStorage.setItem("'+localStorage.key(i)+'","'+localStorage.getItem(localStorage.key(i))+'");'); }

> Copy the lines of the gardens you want to keep. To reinstate the keys, open xkcd.com on the target
> browser, then open the console and paste them.

In Firefox on my Mac the web console can be opened up by Command-Option-K, or via the menus by Tools --> Web Developer --> Web Console. It will be different on other browsers and systems, but I trust most XKCD readers will be able to find it. There is also a "Browser Console" which is not the thing we are looking for here.

I got a warning about pasting untrusted code into the console, and needed to enable the ability to do so, but this code is pretty transparent so I felt safe pasting it.

You will get output that looks like this:

"localStorage.setItem("key-42a2e88a-fc23-11e5-8001-42010a8e0009","aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa");"

where I have replaced the 128-digit hexadecimal key with all digit a instead of posting the actual randomly assigned password for this garden.

What you paste as a command to your web console to reinstate control is that text without the initial and final quotation marks, i.e.:

Code: Select all

localStorage.setItem("key-42a2e88a-fc23-11e5-8001-42010a8e0009","aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa");

followed by reloading the page, which will then restore the ability to select and delete items and to change the lamp settings. You can tell it has worked immediately by the presence of the greyed-out deletion X and add-lamp icons in the upper right-hand corner.

Sadly, if you have already lost control of a garden, it is probably gone for good, although the garden will continue to evolve as long as someone is watching it somewhere.

I lost control of all my initial gardens when I first closed my browser. Evidently the information used to verify garden ownership is not persistent with my browser privacy settings. I lost control of some new gardens before finding this information. But I have also randomly lost control (and then regained control via this method) of individual gardens while my browser has been open.

*********************************************************************************************************************************

One more technical issue I want to bring up here is the failure of items to delete. I have often tried to "prune" an item and have it remain. Several attempts to remove it will fail. But then when the garden refreshes, the item will be gone, or will be present but when I again attempt to delete it it will disappear.

I have also had prunings reversed (and lamps restored to previous positions) by a browser refresh, and have had to delete items I had successfully deleted all over again. I have never failed to eventually delete any item I was able to select, but I have been unable to select certain items without removing other items I wish to retain in the vicinity.

Reka

Postby Reka » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:03 pm UTC

jewish_scientist wrote:About how long do I have to wait until something start to grow?
If I made a garden on Firefox on one computer, saved the URL to my flash drive, opened Firefox on another computer and put the URL into Firefox, will be garden be view only?
When my garden is not being viewed by anyone is it still keeping track of the time?

1. We don't really know. If nothing has grown in about an hour, you might want to check your lights.
2. Probably. I know the text at the top says it'll be view-only from other browsers, but I think he means other computers as well. Though if you can find and transfer the cookie, that might work. (I tried to find the garden cookies on my computer, but either all three of my Firefox gardens are all stored in one cookie, or the actual cookies are very well hidden.)
3. Again, we don't really know. There are some user gardens posted at explainxkcd which seem to have changed since the description was posted, and others which still match their descriptions. Also, sometimes growth slows waaay down even in an attended garden, so it's really hard to draw any sort of conclusions. Other than Randall is weird, but we already knew that.

On another note, I think the Hogwarts class is actually conjuring cairns (=rock piles). The balloons are some sort of side effect/goofing off. Also, two of the students and the desk gained twins overnight, Mr. Chief Goof-Off at the front of the class has conjured himself an obelisk, and the potions professor has invented a star-plant potion. More concerningly, I don't know whether to rescue demi-Beret-guy from the octopus, or to rescue the octopus from demi-Beret-guy. Maybe I'll just let them fight it out amongst themselves.
Hogwarts4.png

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”