1663: "Garden"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ThemePark

Re: 1663: "Garden"

Postby ThemePark » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:04 pm UTC

scarletmanuka wrote:
chridd wrote:Oh no! I have a competitor!
Buy my cacti instead! I also have turtles, lots of turtles.
Edit to add: Just noticed I have a linsang on the right.

Ha. You think you have lots of turtles? (Well, OK, you do.) I'm now offering a free turtle or linsang with every cactus sold.

I've actually repositioned my lights now explicitly so that none of them are shining on that stack; maybe I can get something to grow somewhere else for a change. I suspect though that some pruning may be required.

garden_2.png

o_O o_O o_O o_O

That's real life Jenga, right there.
BlitzGirl wrote:I bet you're right - an underground UFO is the most likely culprit. (Is it a UFO if it's underground?) I've seen a couple "embedded" in the ground or platforms, and I recently got one that was rotated 90 degrees, so that configuration is possible.

Nice flying fish!

Yes, then it's an Underground Flying Object.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:42 pm UTC

*tips hat to ThemePark*

ggh wrote:I love my balloon garden. The flowers I'm not especially crazy about, but I want to see what they bloom into before making any hasty culls. I've had two "hilts" for a while, but no blooms. Periodically I change the lighting a bit to see if I stumble across the bloom formula, and now I've just gotten a couple of stringy things growing up from the hilts. Whadya reckon those are?

Nice balloons! Interesting stringy things coming up from those two flowers on the left. I don't believe I've seen that before. Maybe those will turn into a new kind of flower?

My most successful flower garden is the garden of the twin lampposts. Over the past couple of days I've used a combo of light blue and reddish orange lights to make a lavender-ish color, and that seems to be producing a variety of blooms.

Spoiler:
GardenFlowers.png
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:45 pm UTC

I decided not to prune some of the little spiky plants that were growing to see what they'd put out. Mostly they're just...weird. Whatever's growing in the bird bath is causing the flying fish to risk life and fin by jumping out onto the ground (and into the octopus gathering). I guess I should prune some of the stuff, but can't decide what to get rid of, and I'm too attached to some of the stuff, so my garden just looks cluttered.

Crap. I just realized that describes my house as well.
I've got a bird listening to two iPods--not even sure how that works. The Megan on the left is a witch, flying along with her trusty crow familiar, but the other Megan looks like she's being dive-bombed by birds. I have no clue what's going on with Cue and Ponytail Girl. Are they eating that turtle? Kissing behind it so no one will see them? Is he about to put it on her head?

I started a garden in Firefox and got possessed balloons. Yay! Including two huge ones. It was hard to get a screen shot showing the deer and the birdbath, with the way those things whip around. I kind of like the picture I got, since the little balloon makes the deer look more like a mutant donkey.

I keep trying to grow another lantern in my home garden, but instead the lamppost just keeps putting out an arm. I guess I should change the lighting. You know what they say, the definition of insanity is shining the same color light on your lamppost and expecting it to grow a lantern instead of an arm.

Spoiler:
garden16.jpg

gardenb-1.jpg

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Reka

Postby Reka » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:26 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I have no clue what's going on with Cue and Ponytail Girl. Are they eating that turtle? Kissing behind it so no one will see them? Is he about to put it on her head?

Dunno, but there's definitely some canoodling going on between Cueball and Blonde Ponytail in one of my gardens, too. (I've selected the entire pedestal so you can see what's going on a little better. Ignore the big red computer-drawn circle, and look at the crudely-hand-drawn circle and arrow instead.) This time, they're hiding behind a star-plant, and totally ignoring Cueball's twin just a few feet away.
lamp2.png

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:25 pm UTC

Hey, I got a beehive! And a tree platform! And whatever that round thing is under that deer!

BrianX, that garden of Cueball clones is crazy. Did you get a Cueball, and just keep pruning out anything that wasn't Cue? Or have you found the magic combination that only produces Cueballs?

Throw some Ponytail Girls in there, and it could get pretty wild.

Spoiler:
gardenc.jpg

ETA I used to be better at proooofreeding.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:56 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote: You know what they say, the definition of insanity is shining the same color light on your lamppost and expecting it to grow a lantern instead of an arm.

Yep, that's definitely what they say. :D

lmjb1964 wrote:And whatever that round thing is under that deer!

I do believe that's the back half of a bunny!

Reka wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I have no clue what's going on with Cue and Ponytail Girl. Are they eating that turtle? Kissing behind it so no one will see them? Is he about to put it on her head?

Dunno, but there's definitely some canoodling going on between Cueball and Blonde Ponytail in one of my gardens, too.

There's definitely a relationship happening. Cueball and Ponytail are up a tree in my Rose Garden, K-I-S-S-I-N-G...

Spoiler:
GardenKissingTree.png

Megan's on the other side with her pet robot, refusing to look at them. But the rover may be getting blackmail footage.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

nicodemus

Postby nicodemus » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:53 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Megan's on the other side with her pet robot, refusing to look at them. But the rover may be getting blackmail footage.

I love this garden. Also the Megan on stilts is clearly up there to deal with the preposterously tall beehive situation. It looks dangerous. Being stung on stilts has to be no fun at all.

suntin

Postby suntin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:40 pm UTC

karhell

Postby karhell » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:39 pm UTC

Reka wrote:
karhell wrote:Frustrated at clicking through the whole damn thing every time I wanted to look for something, I exported the tree object as a JSON file and wrote myself a python program to print out a list with only the image names, properly organised as per the tree structure.

Any chance you could rewrite that in JavaScript that we could run from the console? It's precisely the sort of analysis I keep wanting to do on my gardens, especially the ones that refuse to grow, but I don't do curly braces, and have zero knowledge of or experience with Python.

Sorry for the delay; some code mustard and my inexperience with JavaScript kept crashing my browser...
Anyway, here it is : just copy paste that into the JS console.

Code: Select all

function printNode(n,p){
   console.log(p+n.node.img);
   var subs = new Array();
   subs["└"]=" ";
   subs["├"]="│";
   subs[null]='';
   var pref='';
   if(p!=''){
      pref=p.substring(0,p.length-1)+subs[p.charAt(p.length-1)];
   }
   var lastChild=n.children.length;
   if(lastChild > 0){
      for(var i=0;i<lastChild;i++){
         printNode(n.children[i], pref+(i+1==lastChild?'└':'├'));
      }
   }
   return 0;
}printNode(garden.data.tree, '');

pre-post note: seems to cause trouble in PaleMoon... I'll poke around to see where that comes from. Works fine in Chromium, though.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:18 pm UTC

It didn't take stringy-thing-growing-from-flower-hilt #2 long to make a balloon. Stringy-thing-growing-from-flower-hilt #1 is taking a less direct path, steadily growing a segment at a time.
Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 5.04.19 AM.png
Still no blooms... I may shift from light-tweaking to threats of weeding soon. Do these lights look like yours, BlitzGirl? Did you have to wait for it long?

Lovin' the variety of gardens here. And the romantic episodes. :)
Last edited by ggh on Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Reka

Postby Reka » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:20 pm UTC

karhell wrote:
Reka wrote:
karhell wrote:Frustrated at clicking through the whole damn thing every time I wanted to look for something, I exported the tree object as a JSON file and wrote myself a python program to print out a list with only the image names, properly organised as per the tree structure.

Any chance you could rewrite that in JavaScript that we could run from the console?

Sorry for the delay; some code mustard and my inexperience with JavaScript kept crashing my browser...
Anyway, here it is : just copy paste that into the JS console.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I already found an armadillo hiding in a tree in one of my gardens that I never would've known about otherwise.

Anybody have any clue why null.png exists? Is that where the garden has decided to dead-end a particular node, or does it ever replace null.png with other images? What about null-continue.png?

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:28 pm UTC

Things are quite peaceful in my FF garden, which is now Beehive, Bunnies, Birds and Babes, aka Fun with Topiary!
I had a nice heart-shaped topiary my garden and home, but don't know what I did with the pic of it. You'll have just to use your imagination. :)

Spoiler:
gardenc-2.jpg
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Reka

Postby Reka » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:31 pm UTC

suntin wrote:http://xkcd.com/1663/#ee7b250e-0543-11e6-8001-42010a8e0011

I think someone salted the ground :(

It just needs some twerking of your lights, I think. Try switching the blue, yellow, and red around. If that doesn't work, overlap your blue and red and make them cover a larger area; lots of things seem to like purple light.

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:43 pm UTC

Reka wrote:
karhell wrote:Anyway, here it is : just copy paste that into the JS console.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I already found an armadillo hiding in a tree in one of my gardens that I never would've known about otherwise.

Anybody have any clue why null.png exists? Is that where the garden has decided to dead-end a particular node, or does it ever replace null.png with other images? What about null-continue.png?

Hmm, I've got a few of those null-continues too...

And an important bunny! So important that it's hiding behind the desk. Thanks karhell - this is great!
Last edited by ggh on Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:23 pm UTC

I pruned one of my trees and found a unicorn with antlers!
OK, deer with strategically placed branches... The tree itself looks a little like a cat's head.

Ponytail Girl seems to be gazing into the birdbath. Maybe it's some sort of oracle.

And there's a little volcano-shaped thing in the right corner, with the red circle around it. Not sure what that is.
Spoiler:
gardenc-3.jpg

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

yan

Postby yan » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:21 pm UTC

Enter this code in the console to display an interactive list of all objects:

!function(){var e=function(e,t,n,d){var r=document.createElement(e);return n.forEach(function(e){r.setAttribute(e[0],e[1])}),d&&(r.onload=d),t.appendChild(r)},t=function(e){var n=[];return e.children.forEach(function(e){n=n.concat(null!=e.node.proxyFor?t(e):[{id:e.node.id,text:e.node.img.split(".")[0],icon:garden.opts.imgPrefix+"2x-"+e.node.img,children:t(e),li_attr:{style:"padding-bottom:2px;"}}])}),n},n="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/",d=function(){var d=jQuery(e("div",document.body,[["style","position:fixed;top:0;right:0;background-color:white;text-align:left;overflow:auto;width:300px;height:100%;padding-right:1em;"]]));e("link",document.head,[["rel","stylesheet"],["href",n+"jstree/3.2.1/themes/default/style.min.css"]]),e("script",document.head,[["type","text/javascript"],["src",n+"jstree/3.2.1/jstree.min.js"]],function(){d.jstree({core:{data:t(garden.data.tree),multiple:!1}});var e=d.jstree(!0),n=function(){e.deselect_all(!0),function(t){t&&"node"==t.kind&&(e.select_node(t.id,!0)||document.getElementById(t.id).scrollIntoView(!1))}(garden.linden.state._selected)},r=function(){setTimeout(function(){e.settings.core.data=t(garden.data.tree),e.refresh()},500)};d.on("changed.jstree",function(e,t){var d=Number(t.selected[0]);isNaN(d)||(garden.linden.state._selected={kind:"node",id:d,circled:d},garden.linden.renderUI(),n())}),d.on("redraw.jstree open_node.jstree",function(e){d.find(".jstree-themeicon-custom").css("background-size","contain")}),garden.linden.el.addEventListener("click",n),garden.source.addEventListener("linden",r),jQuery(".remove").click(r)})};window.jQuery?d():e("script",document.head,[["type","text/javascript"],["src",n+"jquery/1.12.1/jquery.min.js"]],d)}();

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:08 pm UTC

http://xkcd.com/1663/#5b86efae-fdd1-11e ... 010a8e0015

What is that think between Cueball and Beret Guy on the left. I had to get rid of an octopus to see it better, so it had better be something cool. My best guess is that Beret Guy, who has decided to renew his subduction license, has decided to throw a live fish, who is living in a wine glass, at Cueball.

I think my favorite section is the turtle migration to the bird turtle-bath. I hope that more armadillo join them.

P.S. How to I include a picture of my garden in my posts and why does everyone have a second picture of their garden in a spoiler?
"You are not running off with Cow-Skull Man Dracula Skeletor!"
-Socrates

Reka

Postby Reka » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:11 pm UTC

jewish_scientist wrote:What is that thing between Cueball and Beret Guy on the left?
It looks like a standard flying fish to me. You could use yan's very cool code (in the post right before yours) to check for sure, though.

jewish_scientist wrote:I think my favorite section is the turtle migration to the bird turtle-bath. I hope that more armadillo join them.
I love that part too, although I think the lone armadillo makes it more... poignant, somehow. It's a turtle migration, see, but this one poor armadillo was feeling bereft and friendless, so they said to him, "come along and join the fun! We don't discriminate based on meaningless considerations like the shape of your shell!"

jewish_scientist wrote:P.S. How to I include a picture of my garden in my posts and why does everyone have a second picture of their garden in a spoiler?
For the first part, look below the posting window for an "Attachments" tab. For the second part, I vaguely remember from waay way back in the farthest reaches of Time that the denizens of the OTT came up with the spoiler markup to get around some forum shortcoming or other, but I can't for the life of me remember what.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:12 pm UTC

Thanks for the console stuff, guys! :)
Reka ninja'd me with the attachment stuff, see below for further explanation. Image

nicodemus wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Megan's on the other side with her pet robot, refusing to look at them. But the rover may be getting blackmail footage.

I love this garden. Also the Megan on stilts is clearly up there to deal with the preposterously tall beehive situation. It looks dangerous. Being stung on stilts has to be no fun at all.

Ha! Thanks! It's one of my favorites.

suntin wrote:http://xkcd.com/1663/#ee7b250e-0543-11e6-8001-42010a8e0011

I think someone salted the ground :(

Don't worry too much, gardens tend to start out slow. It looks like you have a couple of objects in it now. You just have to wait for it a bit!

ggh wrote: Do these lights look like yours, BlitzGirl? Did you have to wait for it long?

The two on the right definitely look like mine did. There was a bit of waiting involved. It also might depend on the garden. Just like with the flying birds, some seem more prone to flower blooms than others. Phallus Garden has probably a dozen bloomless stems, and has had them for ages. I don't know if it will ever grow flowers. It does manage tulips, though.

lmjb1964 wrote:Things are quite peaceful in my FF garden, which is now Beehive, Bunnies, Birds and Babes, aka Fun with Topiary!

Looking good! I like all the different tree shapes.

lmjb1964 wrote:Ponytail Girl seems to be gazing into the birdbath. Maybe it's some sort of oracle.

Maybe she's thirsty, like my flying Megan who seems to be drinking from the birdbath on the tree:

Spoiler:
GardenDrinkingFountain.png
jewish_scientist wrote:P.S. How to I include a picture of my garden in my posts and why does everyone have a second picture of their garden in a spoiler?

When you see posts with two "pictures", one of them is the image and one of them is the attachment module. The attachment module has to exist whenever you upload an image, but it isn't quotable and is bound to the post it comes from. If you quote a post with the image and the redundant attachment, the image looks like (img)http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=11111(/img) and the attachment module looks like (attachment=0)PictureName.png(/attachment), but with the square brackets instead of parentheses.

Now, to upload a picture or attachment, down below your reply box there's an Options/Attachments box. Click on "Attachments" then the "Add files" buttons. A box will pop up allowing you to browse your computer and select the file. It will take a second to load. After the attachment has loaded, you have a couple of choices.
  1. Doing absolutely nothing will have it show up at the end of your post in a separate ATTACHMENTS section like in this post by JonnyS. This is completely unquoteable but it serves most purposes.
  2. Clicking the button "Place inline" will put an attachment module in your post that looks like (attachment=0)PictureName.png(/attachment). This has the advantage of being placed wherever you want it, unlike the ATTACHMENTS section. However, the module itself, when quoted, will not display the image. You will only see the file name of the image, like PictureName.png. The final post will look like this one by ggh.
  3. Both of the above are just fine for file attaching. If you want to get fancy with it, though, you can put the actual image in your post instead of just the attachment module. The first step is to use "Place inline" to get a module. This must exist on your post for the actual image to exist. Since this faulty module will be redundant at the end, it's nice to put it in a spoiler tag so you don't see the picture twice.
  4. Next step: Preview your post. Open your spoiler and right-click on your attached image. If your image is already full-sized, click "Copy Image URL." (Or "image address" in some browsers.) If your image is not full-sized yet, click "Open link in new tab" and copy the image url from there. (If you would prefer the small sized image in the module, it is okay to copy the URL directly from the smaller attachment, as lmjb did in this post.)
  5. Now that you have the URL of your new picture, paste it into your post. Then put Img tags around it, so it looks like (img)http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=11111(/img) but with square brackets. Voila! There's your actual image. It is quotable by other posters and everything.

I know that's a sea of explanation* right there, but hopefully it's helpful and explains the redundant spoiler-images.
Side note: Users with less than five posts are generally not allowed links (though sometimes moderators will let them through if they're feeling benevolent). So linking to the actual image probably won't work for you until you've reached five posts.

*This practice developed in the Time thread (OTT), for another, probably more obscure explanation see the wiki.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:19 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Next step: Preview your post. Preview your post.

There's some redundancy there. :) Of course, as we know from the Time thread, there's nothing worng with redundancy.

BlitzGirl wrote:Open your spoiler and right-click on your attached image. If your image is already full-sized, click "Copy Image URL." If your image is not full-sized yet, click "Open link in new tab" and copy the image url from there. (If you would prefer the small sized image in the module, it is okay to copy the URL directly from the smaller attachment, as lmjb did in this post.)

Which lmjb did because she didn't know any better. :roll:

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:24 pm UTC

How ironic that I had to edit my post on redundant spoilers to remove redundancy!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:26 pm UTC

It seems very fitting, I think. :)

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:27 pm UTC

If you are awestruck by a garden so elegant and magnificent that it leaves you questioning what art really is, then I have uploaded a copy of my garden correctly. Also, I got rid of the flying fish. I much prefer the octopuses.
Spoiler:
Garden.JPG
"You are not running off with Cow-Skull Man Dracula Skeletor!"
-Socrates

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:36 pm UTC

Bravo! Looks great!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Reka

Postby Reka » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:41 pm UTC

yan wrote:Enter this code in the console to display an interactive list of all objects:
Spoiler:

!function(){var e=function(e,t,n,d){var r=document.createElement(e);return n.forEach(function(e){r.setAttribute(e[0],e[1])}),d&&(r.onload=d),t.appendChild(r)},t=function(e){var n=[];return e.children.forEach(function(e){n=n.concat(null!=e.node.proxyFor?t(e):[{id:e.node.id,text:e.node.img.split(".")[0],icon:garden.opts.imgPrefix+"2x-"+e.node.img,children:t(e),li_attr:{style:"padding-bottom:2px;"}}])}),n},n="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/",d=function(){var d=jQuery(e("div",document.body,[["style","position:fixed;top:0;right:0;background-color:white;text-align:left;overflow:auto;width:300px;height:100%;padding-right:1em;"]]));e("link",document.head,[["rel","stylesheet"],["href",n+"jstree/3.2.1/themes/default/style.min.css"]]),e("script",document.head,[["type","text/javascript"],["src",n+"jstree/3.2.1/jstree.min.js"]],function(){d.jstree({core:{data:t(garden.data.tree),multiple:!1}});var e=d.jstree(!0),n=function(){e.deselect_all(!0),function(t){t&&"node"==t.kind&&(e.select_node(t.id,!0)||document.getElementById(t.id).scrollIntoView(!1))}(garden.linden.state._selected)},r=function(){setTimeout(function(){e.settings.core.data=t(garden.data.tree),e.refresh()},500)};d.on("changed.jstree",function(e,t){var d=Number(t.selected[0]);isNaN(d)||(garden.linden.state._selected={kind:"node",id:d,circled:d},garden.linden.renderUI(),n())}),d.on("redraw.jstree open_node.jstree",function(e){d.find(".jstree-themeicon-custom").css("background-size","contain")}),garden.linden.el.addEventListener("click",n),garden.source.addEventListener("linden",r),jQuery(".remove").click(r)})};window.jQuery?d():e("script",document.head,[["type","text/javascript"],["src",n+"jquery/1.12.1/jquery.min.js"]],d)}();
This is very, very cool. Thank you!

Reka

Postby Reka » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:57 pm UTC

This garden is chock-full of bird-riser.png and flower-segment#.png, but I can't get birds to appear on said risers, nor flowers to appear on said segments. I've tried all sorts of light combinations; the current setup is an attempt to cover as many bases as possible. Anybody have any ideas of how to get my straggly rosebushes to actually bloom, instead of adding yet more segments? (Some of them have 8 segments, not counting the base tentacle plant.)
Spoiler:
orangegarden2.png

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:09 pm UTC

What is art? I no longer know. Thanks a lot, jewish_scientist! :D

And thanks yan and karhell for your various scripts, very helpful!

Reka, I wonder whether something else will grow if you pruned some of those segments. Maybe I'll try that on some of my tall straggly weeds and see what happens.

What I want to know is, why are the bunnies important?

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

nicodemus

Postby nicodemus » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:11 am UTC

yan wrote:Enter this code in the console to display an interactive list of all objects:

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I managed to accidentally delete an entire table full of cats in my efforts to get rid of one little flower base that I could not seem to click no matter what. (The perils of using the delete key rather than the x-button onscreen.) Now, at least, I'm not going to have that happen again, and succeeded in pruning the offending flower. Felt like I was pruning with an axe before. Or maybe a chainsaw.

The ever-growing kitty garden: http://xkcd.com/1663/#cb79b454-006f-11e ... 010a8e0019

I reckon it's about finished, but I'm secretly hoping my missing table will return...

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:56 am UTC

That console code is very helpful for deleting overlapped objects! Image

ggh wrote:
Reka wrote:Anybody have any clue why null.png exists? Is that where the garden has decided to dead-end a particular node, or does it ever replace null.png with other images? What about null-continue.png?

Hmm, I've got a few of those null-continues too...

All of my flying objects seem to sprout from null-continue. BIRD-RISER > NULL-CONTINUE > FLYING-OBJECT.

I'm not sure what NULL is supposed to be. I have a whole bunch of them, mostly located on tree trunks I've pruned rather extensively. Maybe after a certain amount of trimming the tree "learns" that nothing should grow there, hence NULL. I'm going to delete a bunch of those off one of my trees and...oh dang...that seems to be making a difference. In the time I've been writing this post the tree that I deleted the null objects from has sprouted a bunch of new branches in those locations under violet light.

Conclusion: You create a NULL object when you "overprune" something like a tree. The tree won't grow anything there after a NULL pops up. To get new growth in that location, you have to delete the null object. If you like your trunk bare, leave the NULL there!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Reka

Postby Reka » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:32 am UTC

I've been using yan's script to examine my bare-rosebush garden, and I had something like 8 or 9 birds and one UFO completely off-screen -- as in, the red circle for the bird itself, the NULL-CONTINUE-AIR it was attached to, and even for the BIRD-RISER before that all either didn't appear at all when selected, or I could see a teeny-tiny sliver of it way at the bottom or the right. There were also some empty BIRD-RISERs (both with and without NULL-CONTINUE-AIR) that were completely off-screen. I trimmed most of them; I hope my garden interprets it as "don't grow stuff off-screen" rather than "don't grow birds".

Like BlitzGirl, all of my flying objects seem to come off of NULL-CONTINUE-AIR nodes, rather than directly off of BIRD-RISER nodes.

karhell

Postby karhell » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:58 am UTC

As far as I understand things, the null-continue objects are there to tell the garden to stop growing extensions (bird-riser, flower-segment...) there, and start growing endings (flowers, birds...)
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

oddly

Postby oddly » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:39 am UTC

In my garden, all other life forms have evolved as nesting spots and transportation for turtles.
Turtle Fashion.jpg
Turtle Fashion.jpg (13.03 KiB) Viewed 14365 times

superluminal

Postby superluminal » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:14 am UTC

Welcome to the circus!

Megan the dolphin trainer has two miniature dolphins. Cueball waits his turn after the bunny to jump to the pond. Another Megan is a magician and has a cylon raider coming out of a hat (or pot).

Spoiler:
garden.png

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:19 pm UTC

I was hoping to develop a beehive stack. But that lamp is almost perfectly placed. It's like the bees have constructed a Human Brain Interface and put one of the Megans into it, and NormalMegan and HiveMegan are celebrating.

Spoiler:
Garden01.png
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

Rossegacebes

Postby Rossegacebes » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:43 pm UTC

Nobody has mentioned the excellent handling of the swaying with the wind. Stems, trees and balloons move in a very natural way, corresponding to their different stiffness. Hats off.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:02 pm UTC

Rossegacebes wrote:Nobody has mentioned the excellent handling of the swaying with the wind. Stems, trees and balloons move in a very natural way, corresponding to their different stiffness. Hats off.

Not just yet, but maybe if the breeze picks up a bit.... ;)

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:09 pm UTC

Rossegacebes wrote:Nobody has mentioned the excellent handling of the swaying with the wind. Stems, trees and balloons move in a very natural way, corresponding to their different stiffness. Hats off.

The balloons, on the other hand, are completely possessed and whip around madly.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

clockworkbookreader

Postby clockworkbookreader » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:08 pm UTC

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with floating birdbaths.... I thought I was going nuts.... or Randall was.
In the event of pneumothorax, stab me with an 18g angiocath just above the second rib in the midclavicular line.
Thank you.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:35 pm UTC

Turtle-slaves and circus-acts and bee-brains, oh my! :D

lmjb1964 wrote:The balloons, on the other hand, are completely possessed and whip around madly.

Indeed. I've only left a couple long-stringed balloons in my gardens - they're just so wild and distracting.

I finally got a Beret Guy / shrub hybrid in the UFO garden (been wanting one for a while):

Spoiler:
GardenBeretShrub.png

I don't think the swordMegan knows what to make of him.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:04 am UTC

Cueball seems to extolling the virtues of the tree that's for sale to an interested deer, linsang and rover. The octopus crowd is coming to check out the sale as well. Meanwhile, the snake on the right is trying to figure out what the creature is next to him, possibly a fat rabbit lying on its back. (It's actually a portmanteau of a bunny an turtle, but the snake doesn't know that.)

I'm not really sure what's going on in this garden. I couldn't get the tree to look like a heart again, so I trimmed it back. It kind of looks like the deer's being attacked by the tree from the front and being whipped by Megan from behind, so the deer is clearly not having a good time. Unless it's into that sort of thing.

Spoiler:
gardenx-1.jpg

gardeny-1.jpg

Edited to fix missing paren before it drove BlitzGirl crazy :) , and also fix whatever the heck I did with the attachments.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”