1664: "Mycology"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Re: 1664: Mycology

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:35 pm UTC

sotanaht wrote:No, that assumption is the advantage. It's less about how something tastes and more about how people think it would taste. Even if molerat tasted amazing you would have difficulty convincing people to try it.

Want to try eating the Patagonian Toothfish? Not very appetising, of course (and certainly sounds 'wrong', even the "Patagonian" bit is a bit too 'dental').

The Chilean Sea Bass, on the other hand, has a beautifully smooth name and is actually quite delicious, it seems. And the same thing. (And apparently at risk, because of it.)

kodiac

Postby kodiac » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:22 am UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:I can't help think that the other half of this joke is how frequently mycology articles end up Featured on Wikipedia. There is a lot of mycology on Wikipedia.

Today's featured article is about a fungus, only about 2 days after this comic was posted.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calostoma_cinnabarinum

bara wrote:One word: Huitlacoche

The title of that article is "corn smut". Applying my normal understanding of the word "smut" makes for some strange thoughts.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:59 pm UTC

kodiac wrote:
bara wrote:One word: Huitlacoche

The title of that article is "corn smut". Applying my normal understanding of the word "smut" makes for some strange thoughts.

The word "smut" also means either soot, or the marks left by soot - and apparently is known to have been used in that sense most of a century earlier than with the prurient meaning.

Michael.K

Postby Michael.K » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:21 pm UTC

ThemePark wrote:And that, children, is how the Zombie Apocalypse started.

Again, I direct your attention to "Zombicorns".
http://effyeahnerdfighters.com/post/283 ... ds-on-john
(free download)

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:25 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
kodiac wrote:The title of that article is "corn smut". Applying my normal understanding of the word "smut" makes for some strange thoughts.
The word "smut" also means either soot, or the marks left by soot - and apparently is known to have been used in that sense most of a century earlier than with the prurient meaning.

Do we really desperately need this to be another "words change" thread? = . Unless you are quite old or quite agriculturally predisposed, neither the soot nor the fungus is the first or the most common sense of the term you have encountered in your life to date, and the first time you did, I'm going to wager there was a double-take involved.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:39 pm UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
kodiac wrote:The title of that article is "corn smut". Applying my normal understanding of the word "smut" makes for some strange thoughts.

Do we really desperately need this to be another "words change" thread? = . Unless you are quite old or quite agriculturally predisposed, neither the soot nor the fungus is the first or the most common sense of the term you have encountered in your life to date, and the first time you did, I'm going to wager there was a double-take involved.

Does having read a lot of vintage children's literature growing up count as "quite old"? I'm pretty sure I know the soot version first.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:41 am UTC

But it makes sense when you consider the synonyms in one sense are also synonyms in the other sense. Smutty, dirty, filthy...

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:20 pm UTC

grkvlt wrote:It's completely insane that this lifecycle of cow -> snail -> ant -> cow -> etc. managed to evolve at all, complete with the weird intermediate zombie-ant-mind-control stage...

I was tempted to think "How marvelous is God's creation!" but I think that one might be one of the devil's.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”