1686: "Feel Old"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

puppysized

1686: "Feel Old"

Postby puppysized » Fri May 27, 2016 2:12 pm UTC

'How long are you going to keep this up?' 'Statistically, only four or five more decades.'

Yay, presidential election...eek.

SerialTroll

Re: 1686: "Feel Old"

Postby SerialTroll » Fri May 27, 2016 2:15 pm UTC

What? 9-11-2001, if you were born on that day you will be 15 years old... Maybe Randall is gearing up for the 2020 elections?

--

Edit: Misread the text entirely "remember" vs "alive".... need more sleep I guess.
Last edited by SerialTroll on Fri May 27, 2016 2:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri May 27, 2016 2:17 pm UTC

SerialTroll wrote:What? 9-11-2001, if you were born on that day you will be 15 years old... Maybe Randall is gearing up for the 2020 elections?
Timetravel.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri May 27, 2016 2:18 pm UTC

SerialTroll wrote:What? 9-11-2001, if you were born on that day you will be 15 years old... Maybe Randall is gearing up for the 2020 elections?

Key word here is "remember". Not many people remember things from when they were 3 years old.

thunk

Postby thunk » Fri May 27, 2016 2:19 pm UTC

People usually only make memories of events after three years of age.

I have voted in recent elections, and while I remember 9/11, I only do so just barely, as I was five years old at the time.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

Unclevertitle

Postby Unclevertitle » Fri May 27, 2016 2:22 pm UTC

2016 - 18 = 1998. A person born in 1998 would have been two or three years old on September 11th. Perfectly plausible for them to not remember the event itself.

Hell, my earliest memories (that I can confirm) are from when I was four.

Granted, they'd still likely remember everyone talking about for several years after so more or less all US voters know about 9/11.

doglover

Postby doglover » Fri May 27, 2016 2:28 pm UTC

Reminds me of https://xkcd.com/647/

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri May 27, 2016 2:39 pm UTC

Yeah, he rolls out the Timeghost fairly frequently.
Last edited by Whizbang on Fri May 27, 2016 5:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

uncleroy

Postby uncleroy » Fri May 27, 2016 2:50 pm UTC

Daughter #1 will be 18 in June and is excited about voting in her first election.

She remembers the events of September 11 2001, but that might be because we live in NYC and it hit rather close to home, in every sense of the word. So I guess this is technically true but there are counterexamples as well.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri May 27, 2016 3:03 pm UTC

Just putting in a plea to avoid political statements in this needle-pulled thing. There are two many "firsts" in this election which cause flames faster than dropping first-column elements into water.

This is the first Presidential election in which my daughter both can vote and has a PhD. How 'bout that? :D

And yeah, that makes me feel old :shock:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri May 27, 2016 3:23 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:This is the first Presidential election in which my daughter both can vote and has a PhD. How 'bout that? :D

You make it sound as though there was an election in which she could vote but had no PhD, and another in which she had a PhD but couldn't vote, and this is the first time both criteria are met simultaneously. This makes me imagine various scenarios: perhaps a PhD that was rescinded and then re-awarded; or maybe a large step change in legal voting age.

Anyway, congratulations to cellocgw junior!
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

patzer

Postby patzer » Fri May 27, 2016 3:59 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:

Key word here is "remember". Not many people remember things from when they were 3 years old.

Can confirm. Am 18 years old, would be eligible to vote if I was American, and I can't remember 9/11.

Easliest news events I remember are the 7 July 2005 London bombings, the death of Pope John Paul II in April 2005, and the Boxing Day Tsunami of December 2004.

My earliest memories are from 2000, but obviously 9/11 didn't stick in my memory for some reason.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 27, 2016 5:10 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Yeah, he rolls out the Timeghost fairly frequently.

...ooOOOOOOOOooo...

Image TIIIIME IS PASSIIIING!

...ooOOOOOOOOooo...

Spoiler:
TimeghostFloating.gif
I think I made this for the last Timeghost comic; it's been lurking there in my "xkcd" folder for all this time...
TimeghostFloating.gif (4.6 KiB) Viewed 7703 times
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri May 27, 2016 5:36 pm UTC

Perspective from an older generation: I was 4½ when JFK was killed. All my life people have been talking about "do you remember where you were and what you were doing..." and I honestly have no recollection, as opposed to hearing about it later as a historical event. (That may be what's happening for uncleroy's daughter who reports remembering 9/11 in NYC at age three; the reminders have been all around her her whole life and she's probably remembering those.)

The first famous person's death that I can remember hearing about at the time it happened was Walt Disney.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri May 27, 2016 5:50 pm UTC

"Where were you when the wall came down?"

"Probably at school because I was nine and that was a Thursday."
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Fri May 27, 2016 6:14 pm UTC

I would've been 9 when 9/11 happened but for some reason I don't have any actual memories of the day of the event and the news stories and such - just the general conversations about terrorism that would have sprung up after.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri May 27, 2016 7:29 pm UTC

Off the top of my head, the first 'historically datable' event that comes to mind (as opposed to "Dad, what year did we <action> at <place>?", or a similar question only notably answerable by family, if even them... and a 'memory' from an event when I was just 2 could have been polluted by anecdotal retelling, ad-infinitum) is Margaret Thatcher's rise to leadership of the Conservative Party, that I recall seeing announced on the news. Yet I remember little about the moment she (later) won her position as PM, leastways except for the whole St Francis Of Assisi thing, which (unlike the former event, which was a rather boring piece of Political Conference-style coverage, by comparison) was often re-run to illustrate her life and times...

I remember where I was on 9/11 : at work, having had a 'normal' morning, the news happening duck ng the second half of the day, and less and less work got done as everyone started to look for more obscure news websites not yet brought to their knees, or tried to work but were stymied by the network traffic from the endless attempted reloading of pages.

Diana's death was on a Sunday morning (I was at home), and if Mandela's release wasn't on Sunday afternoon then it was another day when I had a similar lack of things to do.

Both (western-attended) Gulf Wars started hotting up in the early hours, with me glued to the news much as Johnny Maxwell ended up being written by PTerry, and the last-but one local Earthquake of any signfance, here in my bit of Britain, happened whilst I was on Usenet, in the early hours. (The first earthquake that I experienced happened whilst I was on the top floor of one of the buildings at my Secondary school, which was probably the only reason I felt it, the slight wobble at the top being more than what people below ever sensed.)

I rembember Challenger more than Columbia. Mt. St. Helens happened on TV, but I'd have to look up the year for that, I'd have to look up which of the various oil-tankers I know had a spill relates to the Welsh coast (not the Exxon Valdize/however you spell it, or the Amoco Cadiz) and the fire at York Minster was 'a thing' but too distant to marry to a year.

The Hillsborough Disaster is back in the news, so that's cheating; the Bradford fire was ealier; the Heysel Stadium thing, maybe, between the two? But as football is not my sport, none of them are really things I relate to.

Plutarch

Postby Plutarch » Fri May 27, 2016 7:52 pm UTC

XKCD seems continually amazed that time passes. 'Can you believe it's been X years since Y?' 'Can you believe there are people who were't born when Z happened?' Yes, I can. None of these things make me feel old.

jello34543

Postby jello34543 » Fri May 27, 2016 8:31 pm UTC

Last year's, but still appropos: Beloit College Mindset list - Class of 2019

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri May 27, 2016 9:21 pm UTC

Plutarch wrote:XKCD seems continually amazed that time passes. 'Can you believe it's been X years since Y?' 'Can you believe there are people who were't born when Z happened?' Yes, I can. None of these things make me feel old.

There's a tendency to believe (correctly) that one day doesn't significantly change your age, and to extend that (incorrectly) to many days not making a significant difference to your age, so realising that you're approaching 40 rather than still being in your 20s - or that you're nearly 70 and still feel youthful - comes as a shock because you've missed updating your status as you go.

Also, with events from your own youth, there's a tendency to think of them as things young people know about, so realising that they've become things fogeys reminisce about brings home that you've changed category.

jjcote

Postby jjcote » Sat May 28, 2016 1:15 am UTC

There was a time when I thought it would be really weird to have a coworker who was born after the first moon landing. Now I'm on the verge of having coworkers born in a year that starts with a 2.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat May 28, 2016 1:37 am UTC

jello34543 wrote:Last year's, but still appropos: Beloit College Mindset list - Class of 2019
Am I mistaken, or are these lists getting lamer and lamer? The first few were pretty awesome, but lately it's all been "meh".

Perhaps because I'm at an age where I have forgotten all these things that the new students never experienced?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Derek

Postby Derek » Sat May 28, 2016 2:02 am UTC

I have a friend exactly like this. He's excited to vote in his first election. This thought occurred to me recently, and I asked him if he remembers 9/11. He said he said he only vaguely remember it (I think he's 19 or 20 now).

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Sat May 28, 2016 4:08 am UTC

I read a story about several government agencies using outdated technology. Think 5.25 inch floppy drives. The article mentioned the COBOL programming language as being outdated in the 80's. I studied COBOL in the eighties. That made me feel old.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Sat May 28, 2016 7:37 am UTC

jello34543 wrote:Last year's, but still appropos: Beloit College Mindset list - Class of 2019

The most disturbing item of all on that list is the last one: "There has always been a Beloit College Mindset List".

kelly_holden

Postby kelly_holden » Sat May 28, 2016 8:38 am UTC

There are apparently people my age (33) who remember the fall of the Berlin wall. I vaguely remember it being on The Chipmunks, but not the event itself. In fact, I didn't even understand The Chipmunks episode at the time.
The first historical event that I remember in itself was the 1996 Federal Election. I remember being vaguely pleased :oops: , because Labor had been in charge for a long time, so it was only fair the Liberals got a go. A few years later, on my own first election, I actually voted Liberal myself, because the election was a month after 9/11, and news was full of talk of war, and I was quite naively imagining something like WWII, and while I didn't actually like Howard's policies he seemed like he'd be much better war leader than Beazley.

The first historical event I remember that non-Australians might care about was the death of Diana, Princess of Wales. I remember somebody I knew exclaiming "Princess Diana's Dead", but I can't remember who the heck it was.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Sat May 28, 2016 11:12 am UTC

RogueCynic wrote:I read a story about several government agencies using outdated technology. Think 5.25 inch floppy drives.
Of course, when we we're younger, everybody then old (and many still around today) would mention 8" discs in order to amaze and astound us, right? These days, even 3.5"s sit idle. "What's that? One-point-four? It's not even worth buying a two-gig stick, these days.. Not gig? Meg?? Which one's that again?" (And they wouldn't know where to shove 'em, either. But they outlasted Zip-drives. I still have an ATAPI one around here, somewhere, and an external Jazz. And...hangon, I saw it the other day...1

The article mentioned the COBOL programming language as being outdated in the 80's. I studied COBOL in the eighties. That made me feel old.
If I hadn't been gainfully employed in my own firm's Y2K efforts (nothing COBOLish, at least nowhere near my area of responsibility) I might well have brushed up and oiled my even-then rusty skills in that lingo and made a pretty buck or two. (Well, tried to ;) )

Apparently it's Object Orientated, now, after a post-millenium revision!

Spoiler:
IMG_20160528_120756.jpg
Yes, a whopping 40megabytes!
(Assuming your laptop has a PCMCIA slot to stick the card in.)
Handy carry-case, though.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat May 28, 2016 2:27 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Apparently it's Object Orientated, now, after a post-millenium revision!
Consolidated OBject Oriented Language?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat May 28, 2016 3:42 pm UTC

uncleroy wrote:She remembers the events of September 11 2001, but that might be because we live in NYC and it hit rather close to home, in every sense of the word. So I guess this is technically true but there are counterexamples as well.

That's not a counterexample, though. It's just an example of one of the billions of people who are not too young to remember.

My earliest datable memory was the Challenger explosion, which happened just before I turned 3. I have two image memories (one of being held in ocean water for the first time and one of the Epcot Center geodesic dome) that probably happened before that.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Sat May 28, 2016 9:36 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
uncleroy wrote:She remembers the events of September 11 2001, but that might be because we live in NYC and it hit rather close to home, in every sense of the word.

My earliest datable memory was the Challenger explosion, which happened just before I turned 3.

I wonder how many of these cases are memories that are constantly reinforced by news replays over one's lifetime. So there may be more 18-year-olds that "remember" 9/11 than we think.

I was 3 in 1977, and the biggest news that year was probably Elvis's death... not something a 3-year-old would notice. No fireball.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Sun May 29, 2016 1:41 am UTC

Mikeski wrote:I was 3 in 1977, and the biggest news that year was probably Elvis's death... not something a 3-year-old would notice. No fireball.

I was 18 that year, but I'd never been a huge Elvis fan anyway, so his death probably had less impact on me than on a lot of other people my age.

Now Groucho, on the other hand....

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Sun May 29, 2016 6:10 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Am I mistaken, or are these lists getting lamer and lamer? The first few were pretty awesome, but lately it's all been "meh".

Yeah, politics sucks the awesome out of everything. At least the "political" part of the first one (class of 2002/list of 1998) was things like:

2. They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan era, and did not know he had ever been shot.
5. There has only been one Pope. They can only remember one other president.
6. They were 11 when the Soviet Union broke apart, and do not remember the Cold War.
7. They have never feared a nuclear war. "The Day After" is a pill to them—not a movie.

...assassinations, dynasties, empires falling, the End Of The World!

Now, we get :

10. Charlton Heston is recognized for waving a rifle over his head as much as for waving his staff over the Red Sea.
13. “No means no” has always been morphing, slowly, into “only yes means yes.”
23. Kyoto has always symbolized inactivity about global climate change.
25. The therapeutic use of marijuana has always been legal in a growing number of American states.
47. They had no idea how fortunate they were to enjoy the final four years of Federal budget surpluses.

..."talking points"! [sad_trombone.wav] What could possibly be more awesome than the stuff that fills the 3 A.M. hour on MSNBC, right?

6. Hong Kong has always been under Chinese rule.
21. Carry Me Back to Old Virginny has never been the official song of the Virginia Commonwealth.
31. Fifteen nations have always been constructing the International Space Station.
34. Scotland and Wales have always had their own parliaments and assemblies.
42. Poland, Hungary, and the Czech Republic have always been members of NATO.
49. Vote-by-mail has always been the official way to vote in Oregon.

...and the real politics is pretty dull, too. Nobody's learning that the only way to win a game of Global Thermonuclear War is not to play. Even the sequel movie was direct-to-dvd.

TrueNarnian

Postby TrueNarnian » Sun May 29, 2016 9:59 pm UTC

This is also the first election where 40% of the voting population is to young to remember the Cold War. It is to this I attribute Bernie Sanders' success.
Last edited by TrueNarnian on Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Sun May 29, 2016 10:01 pm UTC

TrueNarnian wrote:This is also the first election where 40% of the population is to young to remember the Cold War. It is to this I attribute Bernie Sanders' success.

I just read Cold War as "Civil War" and feared my knowledge of American history was worse than I thought...
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

Derek

Postby Derek » Mon May 30, 2016 6:14 am UTC

kelly_holden wrote:There are apparently people my age (33) who remember the fall of the Berlin wall. I vaguely remember it being on The Chipmunks, but not the event itself. In fact, I didn't even understand The Chipmunks episode at the time.
The first historical event that I remember in itself was the 1996 Federal Election. I remember being vaguely pleased :oops: , because Labor had been in charge for a long time, so it was only fair the Liberals got a go. A few years later, on my own first election, I actually voted Liberal myself, because the election was a month after 9/11, and news was full of talk of war, and I was quite naively imagining something like WWII, and while I didn't actually like Howard's policies he seemed like he'd be much better war leader than Beazley.

The first historical event I remember that non-Australians might care about was the death of Diana, Princess of Wales. I remember somebody I knew exclaiming "Princess Diana's Dead", but I can't remember who the heck it was.

Your first historical memory is from when you were 13? That seems really old. I remember the '96 elections in the US and I wasn't even 7.

AndrewGPaul

Postby AndrewGPaul » Mon May 30, 2016 9:09 am UTC

kelly_holden wrote:The first historical event I remember that non-Australians might care about was the death of Diana, Princess of Wales. I remember somebody I knew exclaiming "Princess Diana's Dead", but I can't remember who the heck it was.

Born in 1979, the earliest historical event I can remember right now is the Ethiopian famine in 1984. Not because of Band Aid or Michael Buerk's reporting, but because it was the subject of the Blue Peter appeal that year.

I only know the date Diana died because it's my birthday, and there was nothing worth watching on the TV that day. :)

Lothario O'Leary

Postby Lothario O'Leary » Mon May 30, 2016 2:37 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:"Where were you when the wall came down?"

"Probably at school because I was nine and that was a Thursday."

Change Thursday to Tuesday and you get my situation with 9/11. (Though actually I must've been sleeping in bed, because from my timezone the whole thing happened in the middle of the night; but I definitely went to school later that day, because I actually found a contemporary notepad entry. We studied the definitions of parts of speech that day, apparently.)
Since we didn't have a TV at home back then, and I didn't follow the news much anyway, I didn't even know 9/11 had happened at all until 2003, when I happened to see a History Channel documentary on it while visiting my Israeli grandmother.

The oldest historical event I definitely recall is the financial crisis of 1998. (Specifically, I happened to see my father's email complaining that the exchange rate went all the way up to 7.5 rubles per dollar.)
I can also recall the 1998 hurricane (or at least the morning after), which was a few weeks earlier, but I'm not sure it really counts as a "historical event" outside of my city.

[EDIT: fixed the URLs. The new system is very counterintuitive!]

operagost

Postby operagost » Tue May 31, 2016 4:55 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
uncleroy wrote:She remembers the events of September 11 2001, but that might be because we live in NYC and it hit rather close to home, in every sense of the word.

My earliest datable memory was the Challenger explosion, which happened just before I turned 3.

I wonder how many of these cases are memories that are constantly reinforced by news replays over one's lifetime. So there may be more 18-year-olds that "remember" 9/11 than we think.

I was 3 in 1977, and the biggest news that year was probably Elvis's death... not something a 3-year-old would notice. No fireball.

I was 4 in August 1977, and it so happens that is the earliest notable event I remember.

Muswell

Postby Muswell » Tue May 31, 2016 5:57 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Off the top of my head, the first 'historically datable' event that comes to mind (as opposed to "Dad, what year did we <action> at <place>?", or a similar question only notably answerable by family, if even them... and a 'memory' from an event when I was just 2 could have been polluted by anecdotal retelling, ad-infinitum) is Margaret Thatcher's rise to leadership of the Conservative Party, that I recall seeing announced on the news. Yet I remember little about the moment she (later) won her position as PM, leastways except for the whole St Francis Of Assisi thing, which (unlike the former event, which was a rather boring piece of Political Conference-style coverage, by comparison) was often re-run to illustrate her life and times....

Born in 1985, my earliest "historic moment" memory is Thatcher on the steps of Downing Street the day she left for the last time.

Princess Diana - I'd got up early to watch The Clangers (which was supposed to be on at 6am) (yes, I was slightly older than the target demographic at this point) only to find they'd cancelled it; the announcement changed from "seriously injured" to "killed" while I was trying to work out what exactly was going on. By the time my parents woke up 3 hours later I was more or less an expert on the topic.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue May 31, 2016 6:16 pm UTC

I was staying at a friend's parents' place in Edinburgh and was in the shower trying to treat a hangover incurred during a heavy night at the festival. My friend shouted through the door "Diana and Dodi are dead", an excessively alliterative announcement that he had to repeat several times before I worked out what he was on about.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”