1688: Map Age Guide

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Drooling Iguana

1688: Map Age Guide

Postby Drooling Iguana » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:50 pm UTC

(larger image)

Alt text: Does the screeching chill your blood and herald death? If yes, banshee. If no, seagull.

Calormen was, in fact, present during the events of Dawn Treader. Some of the background characters were described as Calormen traders during the Lone Islands bit.
Last edited by gmalivuk on Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added links

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

I-25 in 1948 or 1952?

Postby jc » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:00 pm UTC

Umm ... The Interstate Highway System was authorized in 1956, so it's highly unlikely that you'd find a highway in New Mexico labelled "I-25" in 1952 or earlier.

OK; maybe the map is from an alternate universe, with a more forward-looking US government than we have. Maybe it's from a universe in which that guy in Philadelphia driving his horseless carriage powered by an internal-combustion (kerosene) engine back in the 1780s succeeded in getting funding, and the westward expansion was done via all-terrain trucks rather than covered wagons. (What was his name? I've forgotten since reading about him in the 1980s. ;-)
Last edited by jc on Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

PinkShinyRose

Re: 1688: Map Age Guide

Postby PinkShinyRose » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:39 pm UTC

My map only says Netherlands and New Netherlands...

cct

Postby cct » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:42 pm UTC

The initials "TMR" are slowly moving across this map toward my location.

ronzie9

Postby ronzie9 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:43 pm UTC

What drug(s) do you need to be on to be able to focus the amount of mental energy it takes to produce something like this just to amuse yourself and a bunch of nerds on the internet, and where can I get some?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:50 pm UTC

Brilliant. I'd always though we should be able to date the globe we have in the office quite accurately, since it clearly snapshots an instant in the process of rapid decolonisation. It came out as 1954-57, which is pretty good.

Shouldn't it be "Germanies"?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:05 pm UTC

Heh, Eastern European history does provide a nice supply of map dating reference points. Yugoslavia or the shape of Hungary is a good way to start a wild guess about maps made in the 20th century. Although the best parts are the jokes like "Saint Trimble's Island" :D
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:14 pm UTC

:( Does not have option for Byzantium at the start.

I also would have liked the "Do you see the familiar continents" : "No" path to include Pangaea.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

richP

Postby richP » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:16 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:...Although the best parts are the jokes like "Saint Trimble's Island" :D

Randall's version of a "Paper Town"?

DanD

Re: I-25 in 1948 or 1952?

Postby DanD » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:19 pm UTC

jc wrote:Umm ... The Interstate Highway System was authorized in 1958, so it's highly unlikely that you'd find a highway in New Mexico labelled "I-25" in 1952 or earlier.

OK; maybe the map is from an alternate universe, with a more forward-looking US government than we have. Maybe it's from a universe in which that guy in Philadelphia driving his horseless carriage powered by an internal-combustion (kerosene) engine back in the 1780s succeeded in getting funding, and the westward expansion was done via all-terrain trucks rather than covered wagons. (What was his name? I've forgotten since reading about him in the 1980s. ;-)

Pretty sure the assumption is that you have a modern map for comparison. Given that the road this section of I-25 was built on top of is no longer signed in it's original name, referring to it by a modern name isn't unreasonable.

More problematic is that it isn't I-25 between Las Cruces and El Paso.
Last edited by DanD on Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

sfmans

Postby sfmans » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:21 pm UTC

Worth it just for the Jimmy Carter killer rabbit. Somehow I'd missed knowing about this until now ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Carter_rabbit_incident

Stoneguard

Postby Stoneguard » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:26 pm UTC

Some of your logic gates presume people know enough about Geography to actually know what countries should look like. Of course, if someone is looking at older maps, it is likely that they actually know something about Geography. I suppose that makes it a pretty valid assumption.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:31 pm UTC

A bit surprised there isn't a branch asking whether Florida exists or is just a dangerous shallows between Mexico and Bermuda.
(yes = highly controversial future year)

Here's hoping there'll be another version which covers much older time periods,

Can you walk from Siberia to Alaska?

Is the Mediterranean a Basin or a Sea?

Is there a wicked tall tower in the area which will be Syria?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

thunk

Postby thunk » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:34 pm UTC

T or C is north of Las Cruces, but yeah, the time period is wrong for an Interstate..

The question should refer to the town on US Route 85.

(Still, great comic!)
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:40 pm UTC

ronzie9 wrote:What drug(s) do you need to be on to be able to focus the amount of mental energy it takes to produce something like this just to amuse yourself and a bunch of nerds on the internet, and where can I get some?

I wondered the same thing. Then I realized that every once in awhile he has to crank out one of these large detailed complex quantified things just to add new wares to his online store. I expect we'll be seeing this on http://store.xkcd.com/collections/posters shortly. But it'll be hard to beat Up Goer Five, my fav poster to date.

Showsni

Postby Showsni » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:25 pm UTC

By "random later books" - do you mean specifically The Silver Chair? I mean, there's nothing else chronologically between Dawn Treader and the Last Battle, so...

wolf99

Postby wolf99 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:32 pm UTC

"Redwaaaaaaaallll!!!"
Years since I've thought of those books, kudos dude, kudos :D

wolf99

Postby wolf99 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:34 pm UTC

So many other books that could epically fit on here: the man in the high castle, the dark tower series

@cellocgw: whats the syrian tower?

Alexius

Postby Alexius » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:46 pm UTC

wolf99 wrote:@cellocgw: whats the syrian tower?

Genesis 11:2-9 wrote:And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there. And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them thoroughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter. And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth. And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded. And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do. Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech. So the Lord scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city. Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the Lord did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the Lord scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:48 pm UTC

Highly enjoyed this one, especially the esoteric centre.
Just for OCD fun, here are the (conventional) dates, ordered to show continuity/otherwise (decade-ranged ones in italics) and the choices needed to get there...

Pre-1805: Constantinople; no ind. Canada, US Alaska, Tokyo; Holy Roman Empire
1806-1810: Constantinople; no ind. Canada, US Alaska, Tokyo; no Holy Roman Empire; USA; Mexican Texas; Spanish Florida; Paraguy
1811-1817: Constantinople; no ind. Canada, US Alaska, Tokyo; no Holy Roman Empire; USA; Mexican Texas; Spanish Florida; no Paraguy
1818-1829: Constantinople/Ottomans; no ind. Canada, US Alaska, Tokyo; no Holy Roman Empire; USA; Mexican Texas; US Florida; no Venezuela|Equador
<1830s: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or anything political; Lake Chad; prairie Indianna
1830-1833: Constantinople/Ottomans; no ind. Canada, US Alaska, Tokyo; no Holy Roman Empire; USA; Mexican Texas; US Florida; Venezuela|Equador
1830s-1880s: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or anything political; Lake Chad; prairie-edge Mississippi
1834-1845: Constantinople/Ottomans; no ind. Canada, US Alaska, Tokyo; no Holy Roman Empire; USA; loneTexas
1846-1853: Constantinople/Ottomans; no ind. Canada, US Alaska, Tokyo; no Holy Roman Empire; USA; US Texas; no Russia/Sea Of Japan; weird US southern border
1854-1856: Constantinople/Ottomans; no ind. Canada, US Alaska, Tokyo; no Holy Roman Empire; USA; US Texas; no Russia/Sea Of Japan; normal US southern border
(1857?)
1858-1867: Constantinople/Ottomans; no ind. Canada, US Alaska, Tokyo; no Holy Roman Empire; USA; US Texas; Russia on Sea Of Japan
1860s-1900s: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or anything political; Lake Chad; prairie-edge Nebraska; accidental SoCal Lake
1868-1872: Constantinople/Ottomans; ind. Canada|US Alaska|Tokyo; no South Africa; no Rodesia; Bolivian coast; Buda+Pest
1873-1883: Constantinople/Ottomans; ind. Canada|US Alaska|Tokyo; no South Africa; no Rodesia; Bolivian coast; Budapest
1884-1895: Constantinople/Ottomans; ind. Canada|US Alaska|Tokyo; no South Africa; no Rodesia; Bolivia landlocked
1896-1905: Constantinople/Ottomans; ind. Canada|US Alaska|Tokyo; no South Africa; Rodesia; Norway is Swedish
1906-1909: Constantinople/Ottomans; ind. Canada|US Alaska|Tokyo; no South Africa; Rodesia; Norway not Swedish
1910s: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or anything political; Lake Chad; prairie-edge Nebraska; no accidental SoCal Lake
1910-1912: Constantinople/Ottomans; ind. Canada|US Alaska|Tokyo; South Africa; Austria-Hungary; no Albania
1913-1918: Constantinople/Ottomans; ind. Canada|US Alaska|Tokyo; South Africa; Austria-Hungary; Albania
1919-1923: Constantinople/Ottomans; ind. Canada|US Alaska|Tokyo; South Africa; no Austria-Hungary; no Leningrad
1920s-1950s: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or anything political; Lake Chad; no american prairies; no Ghanan lake
1922-1932(overlaps): no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; no Saudi Arabia
1924-1929: Constantinople/Ottomans; ind. Canada|US Alaska|Tokyo; South Africa; no Austria-Hungary; Leningrad
1930-1934: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or... wait, Norway is marked; no Pakistan; Germany; Persia
1935-1940: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or... wait, Norway is marked; no Pakistan; Germany; Iran
1941-1945: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or... wait, Norway is marked; no Pakistan; rampant Germany!
1946-1947: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or... wait, Norway is marked; no Pakistan; divided Germany
1948-1949: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; French West Africa or two Vietnams; no Bangladesh; Brits south of Lake Victoria; Hot Springs on I25
1948: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or... wait, Norway is marked; Pakistan; no Cambodia; Italian Eritrea; incomplete Canada
1949-1952: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or... wait, Norway is marked; Pakistan; no Cambodia; Italian Eritrea; complete Canada
1950-1952: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; French West Africa or two Vietnams; no Bangladesh; Brits south of Lake Victoria; Truth Or Conequences on I25
1952-1953: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or... wait, Norway is marked; Pakistan; no Cambodia; Ethiopian Eritrea
1954-1957: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or... wait, Norway is marked; Pakistan; Cambodia; no UAR
1958-1960: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or... wait, Norway is marked; Pakistan; Cambodia; UAR
1960s-1970s: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or anything political; Lake Chad; no american prairies; purposeful Ghanan lake
1961-1964: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; French West Africa or two Vietnams; no Bangladesh; Tanganyika south of Lake Victoria;
1965-1971: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; French West Africa or two Vietnams; no Bangladesh; Tanzania south of Lake Victoria;
1972-1975: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; French West Africa or two Vietnams; Bangladesh
1976-1979: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; non-French West Africa; one Vietnam; Jimmy Carter ok; Israeli Sinai
20/Apr/1979: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; non-French West Africa; one Vietnam; Jimmy Carter assaulted by massive amphibious lagomorph
1980: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; non-French West Africa; one Vietnam; Jimmy Carter ok; mostly Israeli Sinai
1981: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; non-French West Africa; one Vietnam; Jimmy Carter ok; mostly Egyptian Sinai
1982-1984: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; non-French West Africa; one Vietnam; Jimmy Carter ok; Egyptian Sinai; Kolonia; Upper Volta
1985-1988: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; non-French West Africa; one Vietnam; Jimmy Carter ok; Egyptian Sinai; Kolonia; Burkina Faso
1989-early 1990: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; non-French West Africa; one Vietnam; Jimmy Carter ok; Egyptian Sinai; Palikir; Four Yemens+Germanys
1970s-1990s: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or anything political; no Lake Chad; Aral Sea
Mid 1990: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; non-French West Africa; one Vietnam; Jimmy Carter ok; Egyptian Sinai; Palikir; Three Yemens+Germanys
Late 1990-1991: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; non-French West Africa; one Vietnam; Jimmy Carter ok; Egyptian Sinai; Palikir; Yemen+Germany (both singular)
1992-1996: no Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union but North Korea; Zaire/British Hong Kong
1997-2001: no Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union but North Korea; no Zaire/British Hong Kong; Serbia Montenegro; no East Timor
>2000s: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or anything political; no Lake Chad; no Aral Sea
2002-2006: no Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union but North Korea; no Zaire/British Hong Kong; Serbia Montenegro; East Timor
2007-2011: no Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union but North Korea; no Zaire/British Hong Kong; Serbia and Montenegro; Sudan
2012-2013: no Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union but North Korea; no Zaire/British Hong Kong; Serbia and Montenegro; Sudans; undisputed Crimea
2014-2021: no Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union but North Korea; no Zaire/British Hong Kong; Serbia and Montenegro; Sudans; disputed Crimea; Colorado
2022: no Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union but North Korea; no Zaire/British Hong Kong; Serbia and Montenegro; Sudans; disputed Crimea; Radioactive Exlusion Zone; Spiders???
>2023: no Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union but North Korea; no Zaire/British Hong Kong; Serbia and Montenegro; Sudans; disputed Crimea; Radioactive Exlusion Zone; Spiders!!!

(I hope Randall hasn't seen fit to 'correct' anything whilst I was editing that...)

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:54 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Highly enjoyed this one, especially the esoteric centre.
Just for OCD fun, here are the (conventional) dates, ordered to show continuity/otherwise (decade-ranged ones in italics) and the choices needed to get there...
Spoiler:
Pre-1805: Constantinople; no ind. Canada, US Alaska, Tokyo; Holy Roman Empire
1806-1810: Constantinople; no ind. Canada, US Alaska, Tokyo; no Holy Roman Empire; USA; Mexican Texas; Spanish Florida; Paraguy
1811-1817: Constantinople; no ind. Canada, US Alaska, Tokyo; no Holy Roman Empire; USA; Mexican Texas; Spanish Florida; no Paraguy
1818-1829: Constantinople/Ottomans; no ind. Canada, US Alaska, Tokyo; no Holy Roman Empire; USA; Mexican Texas; US Florida; no Venezuela|Equador
<1830s: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or anything political; Lake Chad; prairie Indianna
1830-1833: Constantinople/Ottomans; no ind. Canada, US Alaska, Tokyo; no Holy Roman Empire; USA; Mexican Texas; US Florida; Venezuela|Equador
1830s-1880s: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or anything political; Lake Chad; prairie-edge Mississippi
1834-1845: Constantinople/Ottomans; no ind. Canada, US Alaska, Tokyo; no Holy Roman Empire; USA; loneTexas
1846-1853: Constantinople/Ottomans; no ind. Canada, US Alaska, Tokyo; no Holy Roman Empire; USA; US Texas; no Russia/Sea Of Japan; weird US southern border
1854-1856: Constantinople/Ottomans; no ind. Canada, US Alaska, Tokyo; no Holy Roman Empire; USA; US Texas; no Russia/Sea Of Japan; normal US southern border
(1857?)
1858-1867: Constantinople/Ottomans; no ind. Canada, US Alaska, Tokyo; no Holy Roman Empire; USA; US Texas; Russia on Sea Of Japan
1860s-1900s: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or anything political; Lake Chad; prairie-edge Nebraska; accidental SoCal Lake
1868-1872: Constantinople/Ottomans; ind. Canada|US Alaska|Tokyo; no South Africa; no Rodesia; Bolivian coast; Buda+Pest
1873-1883: Constantinople/Ottomans; ind. Canada|US Alaska|Tokyo; no South Africa; no Rodesia; Bolivian coast; Budapest
1884-1895: Constantinople/Ottomans; ind. Canada|US Alaska|Tokyo; no South Africa; no Rodesia; Bolivia landlocked
1896-1905: Constantinople/Ottomans; ind. Canada|US Alaska|Tokyo; no South Africa; Rodesia; Norway is Swedish
1906-1909: Constantinople/Ottomans; ind. Canada|US Alaska|Tokyo; no South Africa; Rodesia; Norway not Swedish
1910s: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or anything political; Lake Chad; prairie-edge Nebraska; no accidental SoCal Lake
1910-1912: Constantinople/Ottomans; ind. Canada|US Alaska|Tokyo; South Africa; Austria-Hungary; no Albania
1913-1918: Constantinople/Ottomans; ind. Canada|US Alaska|Tokyo; South Africa; Austria-Hungary; Albania
1919-1923: Constantinople/Ottomans; ind. Canada|US Alaska|Tokyo; South Africa; no Austria-Hungary; no Leningrad
1920s-1950s: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or anything political; Lake Chad; no american prairies; no Ghanan lake
1922-1932(overlaps): no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; no Saudi Arabia
1924-1929: Constantinople/Ottomans; ind. Canada|US Alaska|Tokyo; South Africa; no Austria-Hungary; Leningrad
1930-1934: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or... wait, Norway is marked; no Pakistan; Germany; Persia
1935-1940: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or... wait, Norway is marked; no Pakistan; Germany; Iran
1941-1945: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or... wait, Norway is marked; no Pakistan; rampant Germany!
1946-1947: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or... wait, Norway is marked; no Pakistan; divided Germany
1948-1949: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; French West Africa or two Vietnams; no Bangladesh; Brits south of Lake Victoria; Hot Springs on I25
1948: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or... wait, Norway is marked; Pakistan; no Cambodia; Italian Eritrea; incomplete Canada
1949-1952: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or... wait, Norway is marked; Pakistan; no Cambodia; Italian Eritrea; complete Canada
1950-1952: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; French West Africa or two Vietnams; no Bangladesh; Brits south of Lake Victoria; Truth Or Conequences on I25
1952-1953: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or... wait, Norway is marked; Pakistan; no Cambodia; Ethiopian Eritrea
1954-1957: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or... wait, Norway is marked; Pakistan; Cambodia; no UAR
1958-1960: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or... wait, Norway is marked; Pakistan; Cambodia; UAR
1960s-1970s: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or anything political; Lake Chad; no american prairies; purposeful Ghanan lake
1961-1964: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; French West Africa or two Vietnams; no Bangladesh; Tanganyika south of Lake Victoria;
1965-1971: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; French West Africa or two Vietnams; no Bangladesh; Tanzania south of Lake Victoria;
1972-1975: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; French West Africa or two Vietnams; Bangladesh
1976-1979: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; non-French West Africa; one Vietnam; Jimmy Carter ok; Israeli Sinai
20/Apr/1979: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; non-French West Africa; one Vietnam; Jimmy Carter assaulted by massive amphibious lagomorph
1980: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; non-French West Africa; one Vietnam; Jimmy Carter ok; mostly Israeli Sinai
1981: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; non-French West Africa; one Vietnam; Jimmy Carter ok; mostly Egyptian Sinai
1982-1984: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; non-French West Africa; one Vietnam; Jimmy Carter ok; Egyptian Sinai; Kolonia; Upper Volta
1985-1988: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; non-French West Africa; one Vietnam; Jimmy Carter ok; Egyptian Sinai; Kolonia; Burkina Faso
1989-early 1990: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; non-French West Africa; one Vietnam; Jimmy Carter ok; Egyptian Sinai; Palikir; Four Yemens+Germanys
1970s-1990s: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or anything political; no Lake Chad; Aral Sea
Mid 1990: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; non-French West Africa; one Vietnam; Jimmy Carter ok; Egyptian Sinai; Palikir; Three Yemens+Germanys
Late 1990-1991: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; non-French West Africa; one Vietnam; Jimmy Carter ok; Egyptian Sinai; Palikir; Yemen+Germany (both singular)
1992-1996: no Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union but North Korea; Zaire/British Hong Kong
1997-2001: no Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union but North Korea; no Zaire/British Hong Kong; Serbia Montenegro; no East Timor
>2000s: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or anything political; no Lake Chad; no Aral Sea
2002-2006: no Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union but North Korea; no Zaire/British Hong Kong; Serbia Montenegro; East Timor
2007-2011: no Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union but North Korea; no Zaire/British Hong Kong; Serbia and Montenegro; Sudan
2012-2013: no Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union but North Korea; no Zaire/British Hong Kong; Serbia and Montenegro; Sudans; undisputed Crimea
2014-2021: no Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union but North Korea; no Zaire/British Hong Kong; Serbia and Montenegro; Sudans; disputed Crimea; Colorado
2022: no Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union but North Korea; no Zaire/British Hong Kong; Serbia and Montenegro; Sudans; disputed Crimea; Radioactive Exlusion Zone; Spiders???
>2023: no Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union but North Korea; no Zaire/British Hong Kong; Serbia and Montenegro; Sudans; disputed Crimea; Radioactive Exlusion Zone; Spiders!!!

(I hope Randall hasn't seen fit to 'correct' anything whilst I was editing that...)

Looks like you've just invented reverse-tree-traversal algorithms! :P
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Mirkwood

Postby Mirkwood » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:07 pm UTC

I want a make a guess at how Randall made this.

First, he set a lower bound: the dissolution of the Holy Roman Empire. Then he consulted each of Wikipedia's annual articles in the range 1805-2016, writing down map-changing events for each year (or year range if necessary) until the whole domain was filled. Then, he arranged each event into a flow chart in a way that just halves the possible range for the map in question with each point in the chart. Modify as necessary for XKCD silliness.

CBusAlex

Postby CBusAlex » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:17 pm UTC

Is Lake Chad missing? -> YES -> Is the Aral Sea missing -> YES -> Are ALL the seas missing? -> YES -> 1,000,000,000+

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:20 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:A bit surprised there isn't a branch asking whether Florida exists or is just a dangerous shallows between Mexico and Bermuda.

Florida chart:

0) Is Florida land? Yes (1) or No (4)
1) The state is called: Florida (2), Trumpwinsia (3)
2) 1927 - 2017
3) 2017 - 2019
4) Salt water or fresh? Fresh (6), salt (5), gross but not salty (6)
5) 2019 on
6) Florida is part of: the US (7), the Spanish empire (8), sovereign Seminole nation (9)
7) 1822-1927
8) 1565-1822
9) That' a really neat map, but that could be a number of periods and that kind of map really should be accompanied by text describing it's methodology.

Unless Floridaman saves us, but he's the worst superhero ever.

On a plus note, bureaucratic intransigence is on our side. Rick Scot's executive order to not discuss "climate change" is being utterly ignored.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:27 pm UTC

Mirkwood wrote:I want a make a guess at how Randall made this.

First, he set a lower bound: the dissolution of the Holy Roman Empire. Then he consulted each of Wikipedia's annual articles in the range 1805-2016, writing down map-changing events for each year (or year range if necessary) until the whole domain was filled. Then, he arranged each event into a flow chart in a way that just halves the possible range for the map in question with each point in the chart. Modify as necessary for XKCD silliness.

I suspect one 'political' list to yearly definition (except for 1990's fast-changing situation and the added Jimmy Carter date) and one 'geographic' list for which a decadal definition was required. Then start with the Turkocentric mess of alternate-path interpretations, allowing a gateway to the geographical ranges and fictional cascades.

cellocgw wrote:Looks like you've just invented reverse-tree-traversal algorithms! :P

Looks like I spent far too much time wrastling with this touchscreen keyboard. ;)

Also, for my own part, I was looking for the appearance (off of the pre-1805) of a really old world map.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:38 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote::( Does not have option for Byzantium at the start.

Yeah, I initially assumed that the "Neither" option must be for Byzantium and was then surprised when it lead to relatively modern dates. What else, besides Byzantium, Constantinople, and Istanbul, has there been there?

I also would have liked the "Do you see the familiar continents" : "No" path to include Pangaea.

Or better still, a whole chain of steps asking about the continents ("Gondwanaland?," "Sea of Tethys?", etc) that lead to actual prehistorical periods.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:48 pm UTC

You missed a bet having the "Pakistan" bubble lead only to "yes" and "no" branches. Should have been "no" (before 1947), "west and east" (1947-71), or "yes, and Bangladesh too" (after 1971).

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:08 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:What else, besides Byzantium, Constantinople, and Istanbul, has there been there?
Lygos, Augusta Antonina and Basileuousia, among others, I think.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:28 pm UTC

Drooling Iguana wrote:Calormen was, in fact, present during the events of Dawn Treader. Some of the background characters were described as Calormen traders during the Lone Islands bit.

Present in the world, but not on the map.

Showsni wrote:By "random later books" - do you mean specifically The Silver Chair? I mean, there's nothing else chronologically between Dawn Treader and the Last Battle, so...

The books not listed - Silver Chair, Horse and His Boy, and Magician's Nephew, while spread over the chronology, were all published between Dawn Treader and Last Battle (in that order, as it happens)...

herdi42

Two Germanies nitpicking

Postby herdi42 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:33 pm UTC

OK this one is very good, but looking at the history of Germany shortly after WW2, I find the two Germanies bit confusing: Things were a bit more complicated at least in this period of time, especially in 46-47. Between 45 and 48 you could assume any number of Germanies between 1 and 5, depending how you define a "Germany".

Mokurai

Postby Mokurai » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:37 pm UTC

Mountains of Madness?

No Lord Dunsany before 1910 The Hashish Man
Yes Lovecraft 1931-1936
Mountains of Murkiness?
Yes Arthur C. Clarke 1940
No A Colder War, Stross 1997
Oops, that's a different universe--But which one? Haaalp, it's not on our map!!! No, the map is wrong! Wait, what map?! Aaaaaah!!
Chthulhu in 2016! Why vote for the lesser evil? We are your servants, Great Master. Do whatever it is to those other people.
No, no, do it to Julia!! Airstrip One, Oceania, George Orwell 1948-1984

Techno Gray

Postby Techno Gray » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:50 pm UTC

Very helpful.
Turns out I was looking at a breadbox. Didn't even know I had one of those.

NOTNOTJON

Postby NOTNOTJON » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:51 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:My map only says Netherlands and New Netherlands...

That just made my day. :D

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:39 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:Shouldn't it be "Germanies"?

No, proper nouns like Germany or Becky don't decline like common nouns like eddy or molpy.

I do like this comic. It stacks up nicely against his other infographics. But I have to say, I'm a little disappointed that he made no effort to date maps older than 1805 (aside from the First, Second and Third Ages). He says a "complete political map" makes less sense back then, but there existed a concept of "the entire known world" at least as far back as Alexander of Macedon. Surely you could still date older maps of the "known world," according to what was known to whom:

- At what point would reasonable accuracy replace wild speculation in, say, Australia, or the west coast of the New World?

- When were various islands discovered? E.g., at what point would Rapa Nui have shown up on a Western map, or conversely, when would the West have shown up on a map drawn on Rapa Nui?

- What could you date by the level of knowledge of Europe found on a Chinese-drawn map?

I know he says "labeled in English", which limits things, as many maps prior to 1805 were in Latin or other languages, but still I think these are missed opportunities.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:55 pm UTC

ps.02 wrote:[- At what point would reasonable accuracy replace wild speculation in, say, Australia, or the west coast of the New World?

- When were various islands discovered? [...]

Australia would have been particularly interesting example. Starting with the assumed supercontinent (geographically, Terra Incognita/Australis perhaps if named) and then various attempt to name it (including one of the original "New Holland"s, albeit not in English) whilst geographic misconceptions assumed all kinds of things, from the extension of Australia's main body still with "Incognita" eastward and the late recognition of Tasmania being separate to an assumed great sea within its interior.

Under the more physical maps, there could also have been "Greenland as big as Africa" and "everything upside-down" to respark the map-projection debate, again. There would be a "You're probably looking at the UN flag" result, I imagine... ;)

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:56 pm UTC

sfmans wrote:Worth it just for the Jimmy Carter killer rabbit. Somehow I'd missed knowing about this until now ...

Or, first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwgzTsO46yc

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:12 pm UTC

I bet this updates automatically every decade or so.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Beatrice wrote:The world is quiet here.

Tillian wrote:sig'd

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:42 pm UTC

If your map looks like this, it's 13291.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:59 pm UTC

Hmm, on the one hand, it's probably for the best that he didn't try classifying all maps of fantasy lands. On the other hand, by including the small handful of worlds that he did, he left the field wide open by complaints from fans who feel that their favorite fantasy land was unjustly overlooked! Some obvious candidates include Westeros and Earthsea. But I'm not actually going to start the complaining.

I am, however, a little boggled that he jumped from "can you see any familiar continents? No?" to fantasy worlds. Personally, my next question would be: Does it have Mare Tranquillitatis? No? Does it have Mons Olympus? ...

Leaving those (and some other slightly less obvious) choices off seems like an odd oversight for a former Nasa guy!
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

AlgaeSea

Postby AlgaeSea » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:09 pm UTC

Znirk wrote:
sfmans wrote:Worth it just for the Jimmy Carter killer rabbit. Somehow I'd missed knowing about this until now ...

Or, first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwgzTsO46yc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bFAOCBY8zrI

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”