1705: "Pokémon Go"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

teelo

1705: "Pokémon Go"

Postby teelo » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:13 am UTC

Alt-text: Still waiting for the Pokémon Go update that lets you capture strangers' pets.

Mister xkcd: that update is already available in World of Warcraft. See this.
Last edited by teelo on Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:15 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

nowhereman

Re: 1705: "Pokémon Go"

Postby nowhereman » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:15 am UTC

Damn. Ninja'd

I am not ashamed that I have been playing this for the last several days. It sucks to be in a rural town though. I have to go a mile to get to the nearest Pokestop.

On a different note, I wonder how easy it would be to troll people playing this game. I don't think the figurines would trick people, but maybe a clever hologram on a piece of plastic film? Or perhaps a more advanced animatronic robot that actually leaps at people playing this game?
"God does not play dice with... Yahtzee!" - Little known quote from Einstein

teelo

Postby teelo » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:16 am UTC

nowhereman wrote:On a different note, I wonder how easy it would be to troll people playing this game. I don't think the figurines would trick people, but maybe a clever hologram on a piece of plastic film? Or perhaps a more advanced animatronic robot that actually leaps at people playing this game?

Too much effort. Just photoshop a picture of a Mewtwo or a Zapdos found using the app in a really weird location, post it on Reddit, and watch hundreds of people show up.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:28 am UTC

I saw a squirrel on the sidewalk and had to check the Pokémon Wiki just to be sure.

eidako

Postby eidako » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:53 am UTC

Yup, I'm officially an old fart. I've only heard of this game today and I already hate it.
Wikipedia wrote:Multiple people also suffered minor injuries from falling while playing...the app led players to congregate near strangers' homes...eleven teenagers became the victims of an armed robbery by four individuals...who explained how they were able to lure the teenagers using beacon.

Edit: meanwhile, Koffing has shown up at a Holocaust museum* (think about it), police are being annoyed by a nearby Sandshrew, and a guy decided he needed to catch a Pidgey while his wife was giving birth. On the bright side, it helped a teenage girl find a dead person.

* Possibly fake, I can't find verification.
Last edited by eidako on Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:13 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

teelo

Postby teelo » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:47 am UTC

eidako wrote:I've only heard of this game today

Thats okay, it was only released a couple of days ago.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:10 am UTC

eidako wrote:Yup, I'm officially an old fart. I've only heard of this game today and I already hate it.
Wikipedia wrote:Multiple people also suffered minor injuries from falling while playing...the app led players to congregate near strangers' homes...eleven teenagers became the victims of an armed robbery by four individuals...who explained how they were able to lure the teenagers using beacon.

Edit: meanwhile, Koffing has shown up at a Holocaust museum* (think about it), police are being annoyed by a nearby Sandshrew, and a guy decided he needed to catch a Pidgey while his wife was giving birth. On the bright side, it helped a teenage girl find a dead person.

Indeed: It is troublesome to see that the makers didn't take into account that the game may cause gamers to harass random unassociated people that happen to live somewhere important.
On the plus side: it gets people some exercise and it is statistically likely that some of the players are sorely missing that.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:13 am UTC

I'm not really into Pokémon. Though I'm not sure that works as a condescending dismissal when the topic actually is Pokémon.

eidako via Wikipedia wrote:Multiple people also suffered minor injuries from falling while playing

At least there was that one player who discovered a dead body.
He/Him/His Image

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:40 am UTC

eidako wrote:

I've heard of this game and am otherwise unconcerned with it. Which may be why I first read the last word of the above quote as bacon.

DeGuerre

Postby DeGuerre » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:51 am UTC

Someone tell Simone Giertz. THIS MUST HAPPEN.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:15 am UTC

DeGuerre wrote:Someone tell Simone Giertz. THIS MUST HAPPEN.
Done.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:30 am UTC

A local radio station (I'm in Australia btw) reported that the police are warning people about how distracting Pokémon Go can be, and not to go to dangerous places, and that people can use it to lure people to mug them for their phones. And before that, Twitter informed me of this tweet:
https://twitter.com/krisstraub/status/7 ... 2060844032
dear nintendo, please put super rare pokemon at polling places this november

Also, this isn't my thing: I'm not really into origami.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

JPatten

Postby JPatten » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:45 am UTC

It is interesting, why is this so different than the Ingress players (the game engine it uses ). Been an ingress player for a few years now and there weren't near the number of articles about the distraction of the game or the crime opportunity. OR is this because Pokemon is a much bigger and well known brand?

jozwa

Postby jozwa » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:24 pm UTC

Still not available in the rest of the world. Though all kinds of clone/scam games seem to be popping up in the App Store.

DanD

Postby DanD » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:38 pm UTC

JPatten wrote:It is interesting, why is this so different than the Ingress players (the game engine it uses ). Been an ingress player for a few years now and there weren't near the number of articles about the distraction of the game or the crime opportunity. OR is this because Pokemon is a much bigger and well known brand?

Mostly because of the volume of players (so yes, the brand popularity). And possibly the average age of the players. My FB friends list has far more Pokemon Go players than Ingress, despite skewing towards the tech nerd demographic.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:24 pm UTC

Gotta troll 'em all?

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:56 pm UTC

eidako wrote:Yup, I'm officially an old fart. I've only heard of this game today and I already hate it.

Me too! (copyright 1987, AOL chat rooms)

Wasn't it bad enough that everyone walked around with their face embedded in their smartphone screen? Now they're going to be doing augmentedVR everywhere?

I can't wait to hack some game so it overwrites the DON'TWALK lights with "WALK" and all the VR-players get whacked by a bus or two.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

speising

Postby speising » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:11 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:

Wasn't it bad enough that everyone walked around with their face embedded in their smartphone screen? Now they're going to be doing augmentedVR everywhere?

I can't wait to hack some game so it overwrites the DON'TWALK lights with "WALK" and all the VR-players get whacked by a bus or two.

That would have been really effective with google glass.

jpnuar1

Postby jpnuar1 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:14 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:

The game only uses AR during pokemon capture segments, which people tend to stop walking for. Walking around you just get a street map. Not even counting the massive battery drain the game has which encourages use of a battery saver feature that blanks the screen anyway for most of your game.

lunarul

Postby lunarul » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:24 pm UTC

I was disappointed with Ingress as it didn't have enough players to make it really interesting (it was nowhere close to what the trailer showed). I played it for a long time, but I didn't know anyone else playing, I rarely saw signs of other people, it was simply too boring. Now Pokemon Go came out and it's everything that Ingress wasn't. I was never into Pokemon, but I'm playing this like crazy because it's Ingress done right. Seeing so many people everywhere around me playing the same thing and joining in on common goals, that's all that Ingress promised and never delivered.
I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:30 pm UTC

HES wrote:I'm not really into Pokémon. Though I'm not sure that works as a condescending dismissal when the topic actually is Pokémon.

This. So much this. And what's an ubuntu release? I'm not really into ubuntues, either.

Ralp

Postby Ralp » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:33 pm UTC

teelo wrote:Alt-text: Still waiting for the Pokémon Go update that lets you capture strangers' pets.

Mister xkcd: that update is already available in World of Warcraft. See this.

Actually it's the Dogspotting app, currently in closed beta. https://www.facebook.com/DogspottingApp/

DanD

Postby DanD » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:04 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:

Indeed: It is troublesome to see that the makers didn't take into account that the game may cause gamers to harass random unassociated people that happen to live somewhere important.
On the plus side: it gets people some exercise and it is statistically likely that some of the players are sorely missing that.

They did, to a certain extent. Over time there were rules for Ingress portals that were supposed to minimize trespassing or interference with various activities (Schools, Firestations and Police stations were all supposed to be unacceptable by the time I started playing). In addition, there is (or at least was) a path for requesting removal of a portal because it was on your property. However, the staff that was responsible for approving portals was, at best, overworked, and approvals were not always checked carefully.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:52 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Indeed: It is troublesome to see that the makers didn't take into account that the game may cause gamers to harass random unassociated people that happen to live somewhere important.
And thank goodness no-one has invented a game where people visit deterministically pseudorandom locations that may harass different unassociated people every day... ;)

teelo

Postby teelo » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:59 am UTC

I reckon they just need to increase the range while standing still, maybe a small gradual increase. And come up with some kind of backlog system for when you're driving, so that drivers don't have the stupid incentive to look at their phone and catch a 'mon before it gets away.

Maybe a "driver mode" that shuts off the screen, but keeps tracking location until the mode it turned back off again. Then allow them to tag all the pokestops they passed and catch all the 'mons that spawned along the way.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:01 am UTC

I would always leave it in drive mode except Sunday mornings and midnight poop-breaks.

teelo

Postby teelo » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:11 am UTC

Whizbang wrote:I would always leave it in drive mode except Sunday mornings and midnight poop-breaks.

Fine with me. The main problem with the app is needing to look at it all the time causing accidents. The drive mode would still require you to go out and do stuff, which is mission accomplished for them. You'd still need to park in range to battle a gym. And the time would be limited by battery being drained by GPS, and the Android OS annoying 30-minute limit before it forces standby.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:15 am UTC

Someone at work suggested I get Pokemon Go. For various reasons I won't. This is my phone and I have no intention of upgrading.
lg-flare.jpg

Also, I find it inhumane to capture innocent creatures and train them to fight for human amusement.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:11 am UTC

Bwahaha! http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2016 ... /86928150/
cellocgw wrote:

You're not supposed to BE the BHG.

But if this happens, the relevant authorities will know who to arrest, so thanks for making their job easier.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:33 am UTC

I don't know anything about Ingress but maybe that's the aspect of the game that makes it not feel like a Pokemon game. Well, I haven't played a Pokemon game in generations, but since this is only 1st Gen Pokemon then it should have a much more familiar feel. Ingress players will admit that this is actually Ingress + Pokemon, not just Pokemon?

Yeah, the comic... um, comic. *taps* Comic *bus*

nowhereman wrote:I am not ashamed that I have been playing this for the last several days. It sucks to be in a rural town though. I have to go a mile to get to the nearest Pokestop.
If you're rural don't you have to go a mile to get to the nearest anything? Why would Pokemon GO be any different?

RogueCynic wrote:Also, I find it digitally inhumane to capture innocent digital creatures and train them to digitally fight for non-digital human amusement.
FTFY

Did Randall misspell this comic's title on purpose?

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

JPatten

Postby JPatten » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:30 pm UTC

teelo wrote:I reckon they just need to increase the range while standing still, maybe a small gradual increase. And come up with some kind of backlog system for when you're driving, so that drivers don't have the stupid incentive to look at their phone and catch a 'mon before it gets away.

Maybe a "driver mode" that shuts off the screen, but keeps tracking location until the mode it turned back off again. Then allow them to tag all the pokestops they passed and catch all the 'mons that spawned along the way.

Ingress has a "Speedlock" If your average speed goes above about 35 then you cannot access any game functions other than XM collection. That is to discourage you from DOING anything with the phone while driving, but if you leave the game running and just not touch it you can still collect the XM (energy to use game functions.) THen once the average speed drops low enough functions are available again.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:10 pm UTC

RogueCynic wrote:Someone at work suggested I get Pokemon Go. For various reasons I won't. This is my phone and I have no intention of upgrading.
lg-flare.jpg

Also, I find it inhumane to capture innocent creatures and train them to fight for human amusement.

Welcome to the year 2000, then.

azule wrote:Did Randall misspell this comic's title

No?
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:56 pm UTC

The comics about this game practically write themselves.

"We can't go in there... that's Old Man Murray's backyard!"

"But there's a shiny Bulbasaur back there!"
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Zinho

Postby Zinho » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:57 pm UTC

JPatten wrote:Ingress has a "Speedlock" If your average speed goes above about 35 then you cannot access any game functions other than XM collection. That is to discourage you from DOING anything with the phone while driving, but if you leave the game running and just not touch it you can still collect the XM (energy to use game functions.) THen once the average speed drops low enough functions are available again.

If they do, then it's broken. I routinely hack passing portals at 40-45mph without a problem.* The biggest issue is timing, as the interactive radius of the portal passes by rather quickly at that speed.

*only as a passenger, don't Ingress and drive.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:51 pm UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:
azule wrote:Did Randall misspell this comic's title

No?
It should be capital "GO" not just "Go"... Eh, that's what I learned today. You'd think lowercase "xkcd" (or all caps "XKCD") would be more sensitive to mixed capitalization issues.

Steve the Pocket wrote:The comics about this game practically write themselves.

"We can't go in there... that's Old Man Murray's backyard!"

"But there's a shiny Bulbasaur back there!"
Could you write them for us? We'll not pay, but we'll read them. Drawings would be even better. Thanks!

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:32 am UTC

JPatten wrote:Ingress has a "Speedlock" If your average speed goes above about 35 then you cannot access any game functions other than XM collection. That is to discourage you from DOING anything with the phone while driving, but if you leave the game running and just not touch it you can still collect the XM (energy to use game functions.) THen once the average speed drops low enough functions are available again.
That sounds like a good idea, but 35 mph seems like too high a threshold. It's like you're only allowed to play the game while driving if you're in a school zone.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

Lycanthropist

Postby Lycanthropist » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:01 am UTC

teelo wrote:Alt-text: Still waiting for the Pokémon Go update that lets you capture strangers' pets.

I'd actually quite like that. Having a virtual pet always besides me in an augmented really fashion would be quite enjoyable. :3

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:57 am UTC

My girlfriend reported that a co-worker drove to work *very* slowly yesterday in order to make her phone think she was walking, so that <thing> would happen properly. Knowing the person in question, this doesn't actually surprise me. :(
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:19 am UTC

Lycanthropist wrote:

I'd actually quite like that. Having a virtual pet always besides me in an augmented really fashion would be quite enjoyable. :3

Why stop with a virtual pet? Why not add some virtual hookers and virtual blow?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

JPatten

Postby JPatten » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:27 am UTC

CharlieP wrote:My girlfriend reported that a co-worker drove to work *very* slowly yesterday in order to make her phone think she was walking, so that <thing> would happen properly. Knowing the person in question, this doesn't actually surprise me. :(

I have been known to drive very slowly a few times, (if no traffic around) to avoid speedlocking when going after portals that are just a bit far apart for a walk or when on the way somewhere.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”