1711: "Snapchat"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

I am Jack's username

1711: "Snapchat"

Postby I am Jack's username » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:03 pm UTC

Alt-text: For obvious reasons, the prize is awarded at a different time of year from the others, while it's still fresh in the committee's memory.

I have no idea what this joke is about, even after looking at the Wikipedia article for Snapchat.

Flumble
Yes Man

Re: 1711: "Snapchat"

Postby Flumble » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:26 pm UTC

I am Jack's username wrote:I have no idea what this joke is about, even after looking at the Wikipedia article for Snapchat.

I have some idea after looking at the Wikipedia article on the Pulitzer prize. For us rest of the world: it's an american literature prize that's also awarded for photography, journalism and music. :?

...forget about an alleged joke in the comic, the prize itself is a better joke. :P

Kethryes

Postby Kethryes » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:31 pm UTC

Pulitzer : prize for photography (and other things)
Snapchat : your picture is deleted after a few seconds

... So by the time it is awarded, you will not be able to see the picture that received the prize

Made me smile, but not the best of Randall
J Thomas wrote:From the evidence I have seen it looks utterly foolish to think it's ridiculous to doubt you are right.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:31 pm UTC

To kill the buzz: Snapchat images are destructomatic. You blink and they're gone.

As always, should you or any of your I.M. Force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This tape^H^H^H^H image will self-destruct in five seconds. Good luck, Jim
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:42 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
I am Jack's username wrote:I have no idea what this joke is about, even after looking at the Wikipedia article for Snapchat.

I have some idea after looking at the Wikipedia article on the Pulitzer prize. For us rest of the world: it's an american literature prize that's also awarded for photography, journalism and music. :?

...forget about an alleged joke in the comic, the prize itself is a better joke. :P

That someone doesn't have even the vaguest starting notion of what the Pulitzer Prize might be* surprises me. But then "you only know what you know", and I couldn't tell you who the most successful team ever in the World Series was (although I can tell you why it is called the World Series whilst not being global in scope).

* - its a strong meme that features a lot in films where reporters/photographers feature prominently. Hard-nosed examples of these might be shown to be (or have been) at the top of their game by being winners of the prize, very nearly at the top of their game by being nominees and at least respected by their publications if they were put forward for nomination. Meanwhile, "Bright Teen, Cub Reporter", or anyone else up until the old hack somehow left mouldering in Obituries for the last twenty years, might get dropped into (possibly mistakenly, possibly dangerously, perhaps dangerously to someone else - e.g. the stranded passes-for-human alien who some kids are trying to help to find his ship so he can just quietly go home, if it weren't for the meddling journo) the biggest scoop they could imagine and the smell the Pullitzer Prize blinds them to all else about the scenario.

For example, Lois Lane has commonly been portrayed as Pulitzer-winning (or striving) whilst Clarke Kent traditionally has not (too busy saving the world and keeping schtum about what he knows, albeit typing really fast to make up for lost time due to his 'moonlighting') and this often contrasts their outward work ethics, or lack of them... Although I believe he has been thataway inclined in the field of literature (something he can happily accomplish 'uncaped' without overly relying on any aspect of his Super-ness beyond the high WPM rate).

Meanwhile, Snapchat is transient (I understand), and much too 'in the moment' to normally be taken as a seriously creative (photo)journalistic effort, even by the standards of the Breaking News subsets to the regular PP. (Snapchat may yet inspire serious Pulitzer material, but not without treatment through established journalistic/etc outlets. And this could also change in the future.)
Last edited by Soupspoon on Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:50 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:46 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:

I genuinely don't understand - why does the prize seem a joke to you?

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:00 pm UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:I genuinely don't understand - why does the prize seem a joke to you?

My bad, I'd taken the dutch wiki description of the prize –"a prestigious american literature prize"– for fact rather than the actual and historical "set of awards" that it is. :oops:
The joke wereing that music and photography have no place in a literature prize.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:27 pm UTC

Kethryes wrote:Snapchat : your picture is deleted after a few seconds

I...I...what? I've never gotten around to looking into Snapchat, but...huh? If that isn't the ultimate in farting-into-the-wind Social Cloud Media nonsense...
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:33 pm UTC

I didn't know about the "music" Pulitzer prize (and from the wikipedia article, it doesn't seem like many people treat it seriously)

But Pulitzer prize photographs are basically a statement of US news and political culture. The prize is very prestigious for newscasters and reporters.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:45 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:I didn't know about the "music" Pulitzer prize (and from the wikipedia article, it doesn't seem like many people treat it seriously)

But Pulitzer prize photographs are basically a statement of US news and political culture. The prize is very prestigious for newscasters and reporters.

Fun Fact (TM) - the Pulitzer figures prominently in the last season of The WIre .
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:02 pm UTC

You see the Pulitzer prize a lot of movies / tv shows. For example Lois Lane has a Pulitzer. I thought it was purely a journalism thing though, I did not know there were versions for literature / music.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Justin Lardinois

Postby Justin Lardinois » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:54 pm UTC

commodorejohn wrote:

I...I...what? I've never gotten around to looking into Snapchat, but...huh? If that isn't the ultimate in farting-into-the-wind Social Cloud Media nonsense...

Either you two are older than your 20s (and therefore outside the target demographic) or you're pulling a version of that "look how smart I am, I don't have Facebook/a TV/something else that's currently popular" bullshit.

Snapchat is to social media what 4chan is to forums. There's no history, so everything is current and in the moment. In Snapchat's case that encourages content that's more impulsive and less polished than what people would post on other social media services.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:25 pm UTC

I am Jack's username [quoting title text] wrote:For obvious reasons, the prize is awarded at a different time of year from the others, while it's still fresh in the committee's memory.

I always get the impression that the same thing applies to awards for more durable media, especially the Oscars. Often, all the films in the Oscar nominations were released in the month or so before the awards ceremony. Generally I haven't seen the film yet; often I think "was that even released in time to be considered?", whereas I never find myself thinking "wow, was that really this year?" as usually happens with quizzes of the year etc.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:51 pm UTC

commodorejohn wrote:

Use case: sexting. Do you want to send a permanent record or a fleeting image?
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:54 pm UTC

commodorejohn wrote:

I dunno, but I've always had the impression that the niche Snapchat fills is allowing young people to send each other, ahem, pictures of themselves that they would rather not have posted on the Internet. They trust the owners of Snapchat to make it impractical for the recipient to capture the image, and also I guess they trust Snapchat employees not to, you know, watch user pictures go by and keep the interesting ones.

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:50 pm UTC

Now, I do have to ask how all these seemingly impermanent photos and videos keep ending up archived on my blog. I guess people are just bad at using social media right.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:20 pm UTC

ps.02 wrote:
commodorejohn wrote:

I dunno, but I've always had the impression that the niche Snapchat fills is allowing young people to send each other, ahem, pictures of themselves that they would rather not have posted on the Internet. They trust the owners of Snapchat to make it impractical for the recipient to capture the image, and also I guess they trust Snapchat employees not to, you know, watch user pictures go by and keep the interesting ones.

It's not at all inconvenient to capture the image, it's just inconvenient to do so without the sender knowing (and thus potentially cutting you off from future images).

In my experience most images are posted to people's stories, which are basically (rewatchable) slide-shows of the last 24 hours of posts.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

speising

Postby speising » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:24 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
ps.02 wrote:
commodorejohn wrote:

It's not at all inconvenient to capture the image, it's just inconvenient to do so without the sender knowing (and thus potentially cutting you off from future images).

In my experience most images are posted to people's stories, which are basically (rewatchable) slide-shows of the last 24 hours of posts.

Can't you just use ye olde screenshot?

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:47 pm UTC

It notifies the other party if a screenshot is taken, I believe.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:51 pm UTC

speising wrote:Can't you just use ye olde screenshot?

That's the thing: snapchat will try to log it if you take a screenshot and inform the other party if it does.
So the regular user will not bother with it or take a terrible picture/video of the screen. Of course the advanced user can still save the photo/video without anyone knowing.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:07 pm UTC

commodorejohn wrote:

There's two uses for it.

The first, official use, is to send and receive stupid pics to your friends - something to make them smile or whatever, but nothing good enough to keep forever.

The second, unofficial use, is to send and receive nude photos of people.

No points guessing which usage is the most popular.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

lunarul

Postby lunarul » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:34 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:I have some idea after looking at the Wikipedia article on the Pulitzer prize. For us rest of the world: it's an american literature prize that's also awarded for photography, journalism and music. :?

As a non-american, I was surprised by your post. The Pulitzer prize is so ubiquitous that I never realized it's an american thing. I honestly thought it's international.
I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”