1716: "Time Travel Thesis"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

thunk

1716: "Time Travel Thesis"

Postby thunk » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:12 am UTC

Alt text: "'Hey, what are those futuristic goggles for, anyway?' 'Oh, this is just a broken Google Glass. It was 2010's night at the club.'"

I don't think I can write my dissertation on the Time Thread, even if I was majoring in blitzing.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

ps.02

Re: 1716: "Time Travel Thesis"

Postby ps.02 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:41 am UTC

A bit unlike Randall to make fun of a Wikipedia dilettante. I like it.
Also, of all the ways to get away from Well Actually Guy, this one seems pretty handy.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:20 am UTC

I'll bet she interrupts her own thesis defense the exact same way.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:18 am UTC

If my future self turned up to intervene whilst I was stumbling through my thesis on time-travel, would that be enough proof that I was right?

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:47 am UTC

Nah, come on, you turn up early enough to give yourself good input in writing the thesis and forming the arguments, rather than let yourself struggle. Turning up at the thesis defence is just a way to deal with the really, really awkward questions about areas that didn't form the core of the thesis but someone else is jumping on...

Anyway. Yes, best ever way to deal with Well Actually guy.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:51 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:If my future self turned up to intervene whilst I was stumbling through my thesis on time-travel, would that be enough proof that I was right?
It should be, although it is more probable that you have an identical twin.

Back to the comic itself: the mansplaining should have been enough info to see that there was nothing of value to be gotten from the conversation. No time travel needed.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:28 am UTC

I think she's being a bit of a dick. The guy is excited about the subject he's just been finding out about, and he's met somebody who's an expert in the field. Maybe he wants some validation; maybe he wants to check that he's understood; maybe he's expecting her to mention out some new research that he's not aware of, or to point out that the community has moved away from the whole wormhole thing recently. But she's just saying "yeah, thesis" and closing down the whole conversation. She did her thesis on time travel, therefore she knows everything there is to know about time travel. When did she do her thesis anyway? Maybe the field has moved on. If she doesn't want to talk about her thesis or research field, she should say so. If she simply doesn't want to discuss it with somebody who knows less about it than she does ... well at best that's a refusal to engage in public understanding of science, and at worst it's a kind of superior arrogance. Thanks to Neil I see that perhaps he's supposed to be "mansplaining", but I don't think there's enough in the brief dialogue to demonstrate that. For that, he should have ignored at least one attempt to engage, whereas in fact she doesn't make any such attempt.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:42 am UTC

Definitely mansplaining.

She's positive about the conversation initially. A conversation about her work subject? Cool!

His first question is then checking whether she's heard of the thing he read about. Which, yes, she has, it's in her thesis. He's not asking her about it, he's not relating to her as having any kind of knowledge, he just wants to explain this thing he's read. Which she already knows about.

Then he's stating a theory he read about wormholes... which she also knows about.

He's not interested in a conversation. He's not relating to her as knowledgeable. He's not asking anything other than "Did you know <thing I know>?". He's just... well, to portray it in the most positive way, excited about this thing he's read and the knowledge he's gained without appreciating that the person he's talking to already knows these things.

If he wants to find out more from an expert in the field, he needs to not try to educate her about her field.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:39 am UTC

How convincing would it be to do this with an identical twin? :D

Echo244 wrote:Definitely mansplaining.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... nsplaining ?

quantropy

Postby quantropy » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:20 am UTC

orthogon wrote: I don't think there's enough in the brief dialogue to demonstrate that.

Nor does she. By the end of panel 2 she doesn't know how the conversation is likely to turn out. She is doubtful, but is willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, presumably for the reasons that orthogon gives. But the rest of the conversation shows her initial doubts were right (but we don't see that part)

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:07 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:How convincing would it be to do this with an identical twin? :D

Definition 2 is the closest to what I meant, but it still sucks.
What I mean by mansplaining is assuming that a woman doesn't know something because she is a woman, prompting an extensive explanation on a subject that is usually considered "manly". Double points if the man does not actually know much about the subject.
If I were to explain something about car maintenance to a woman grease monkey, for example, that would be double points in mansplaining.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:31 pm UTC

quantropy wrote:
orthogon wrote: I don't think there's enough in the brief dialogue to demonstrate that.

Nor does she. By the end of panel 2 she doesn't know how the conversation is likely to turn out. She is doubtful, but is willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, presumably for the reasons that orthogon gives. But the rest of the conversation shows her initial doubts were right (but we don't see that part)

Good point.

She's positive about the conversation initially. A conversation about her work subject? Cool! [...] He's not interested in a conversation. He's not relating to her as knowledgeable. He's not asking anything other than "Did you know <thing I know>?". He's just... well, to portray it in the most positive way, excited about this thing he's read and the knowledge he's gained without appreciating that the person he's talking to already knows these things. [...]

I guess it's all in the tone of voice and body language, which isn't shown. He could be saying those things, as I probably would, with a kind of questioning inflection, leaving pauses to allow her to interject, and watching her response. The words could be the same, but the meaning could be "I read something about ... I mean I'm not sure if I got it, but ... is it right that ... what do you think about the idea that ... ?"

Assuming that he isn't employing such paralinguistic techniques and really is just lecturing, then this example, and the one in what may have been the original coinage by Solnit, strike me as egregious to the point of being strawmen. I mean, if you don't listen to your conversational partner sufficiently to hear her say that she wrote the book you're talking about or that she's the world expert on the topic, then that's surely just a total and utter lack of interpersonal skills, of which the mansplaining would be merely a relatively minor symptom. I'm concerned that mansplaining is a more subtle phenomenon which I might be guilty of, but isn't adequately exemplified by the examples presented.

SerialTroll

Postby SerialTroll » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:51 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:If my future self turned up to intervene whilst I was stumbling through my thesis on time-travel, would that be enough proof that I was right?
It should be, although it is more probable that you have an identical twin.

Back to the comic itself: the mansplaining should have been enough info to see that there was nothing of value to be gotten from the conversation. No time travel needed.

Mansplaining? Oh dear God that term has been so abused...

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:53 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Echo244 wrote:Definitely mansplaining. [...]

Assuming that he isn't employing such paralinguistic techniques and really is just lecturing, then this example, and the one in what may have been the original coinage by Solnit, strike me as egregious to the point of being strawmen. I mean, if you don't listen to your conversational partner sufficiently to hear her say that she wrote the book you're talking about or that she's the world expert on the topic, then that's surely just a total and utter lack of interpersonal skills, of which the mansplaining would be merely a relatively minor symptom. I'm concerned that mansplaining is a more subtle phenomenon which I might be guilty of, but isn't adequately exemplified by the examples presented.

Such a fractal thing, isn't it? I love seeing men explain to women just what should and shouldn't count as mansplaining.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:09 pm UTC

ps.02 wrote:Such a fractal thing, isn't it? I love seeing men explain to women just what should and shouldn't count as mansplaining.

But if you choose to take issue with your interlocutor's way of arguing their point, then you have already opened the door to the meta-argument. If you attack an argument by accusing somebody of mansplaining, they have the right to defend themselves. Otherwise it is just the kind of conversational red card that some people say it is.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:19 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Flumble wrote:How convincing would it be to do this with an identical twin? :D

Definition 2 is the closest to what I meant, but it still sucks.
What I mean by mansplaining is assuming that a woman doesn't know something because she is a woman, prompting an extensive explanation on a subject that is usually considered "manly". Double points if the man does not actually know much about the subject.
If I were to explain something about car maintenance to a woman grease monkey, for example, that would be double points in mansplaining.

Well, I find it sexist to explain the comic as a sex-related example of know-it-all VS knowledgeable. These characters might as well have their genders swapped or be ducks or faceless Martian blood-demons, the joke would still be that the learned character gets saved by their time-travelling self from an annoying character while on the topic of time-travelling. And that time-travellers always carry ridiculous gadgets.
In a context of gender roles in society, this would be an excellent comic (in this form, not with blood-demons) to illustrate mansplaining, but by itself it doesn't and implying this leads to derailing (as far as that's a thing) the comic thread like it is now.

Also, sorry for quoting Echo on the word, I somehow missed Neil's post (including the identical twin part).

ManaUser

Postby ManaUser » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:14 pm UTC

rhomboidal wrote:I'll bet she interrupts her own thesis defense the exact same way.

No, no, she'll interrupt her thesis defense by making out with herself.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:06 pm UTC

The very concept of mansplaining is a sexist discussion-terminating cliche, and people inferring it in this comic which has nothing to do with it are using it in exactly that way.

Bald stick figure in the comic isn't doing anything wrong here, and in fact ponytail stick figure is being a little rude with her responses. When someone comes up to me and starts talking about this cool new thing they read about that I already know all about, I think the polite response for me to give is "yeah, it's really cool, isn't it?" not "I already have a degree in this / do this for a living / whatever, stop talking about it". People like sharing new information they've just learned. It's not talking down, much less some kind of weird gender-specific talking-down neologism, to rave about a cool new thing you'e just learned to someone who already knows about it. Think about children in school, who love to tell their parents what they learned today, even though the parents already know it all. That impulse doesn't change just because the children grew up, it's still fun to share what you've learned, and it helps reinforce the learning process, especially if sharing it with someone who already knew it better than you, who can then correct your misunderstandings / fill in other interesting details / etc.

There is such a thing as talking down to someone who knows more than you, sure. The above, and what's in the comic, isn't it. And it only becomes a problem when one fails to update their assessment of what the other does or doesn't know; from the start, we don't know what each other know, have to assume something one way or another, and a polite conversation would involve people helping each other understand what each other already know politely without being angry about those necessary assumptions. And maybe it is a problem that men tend to fail to update their assessment of what women know, or tend to assume unreasonably low just because they're women, I don't know either way about that but it wouldn't surprise me either way either. But to assume that every time a man assumes a woman maybe doesn't know something, it's because she's a woman and he's a man, and not just because maybe he's accustomed to most other people of most sexes not knowing things like that, is sexist as all fuck, and shuts down what could have been a productive discussion, or worse, derails it into a bullshit discussion about "mansplaining" like we have going on here now.

Let me relate my only encounter with the concept of "mansplaining" in real life. (Because fuck this kind of shit on the internet and its goddamn echochambers and flamewars). I have a degree in philosophy, and I already had it five years ago when this story takes place. I was dating a woman five years younger than me who was getting a bachelor's degree in neuroscience. Our discussion had turned somehow or another to philosophy of mind, and I wanted to say something about functionalism, which I knew is employed in a specialized sense within philosophy that differs from other specialized senses of the term used in other fields such as sociology, and I knew almost nothing about whether the field of neuroscience would employ any sense of the term or not, so before talking about "functionalism" as it's used in philosophy I started to give a brief gloss of what I meant by that word. She stopped me, angry that I would dare think she would not already know what it was, just because she's a woman and I'm a man, and instead of whatever pleasant academic discussion we were having, it turned into an argument about mansplaining.

To make matters worse, a long time ago in my teens I used to talk about things that I had learned or that interested me without giving much thought at all as to whether or not other people had the background knowledge to even understand what I was talking about, and that often lead to complaints that I was making people feel stupid by throwing around terms and concepts that they didn't know and acting like of course everybody knows these things and they need no explanation. After getting that kind of feedback for a while, I started to consider whether maybe the people I was talking to needed some background info along with the main thing -- like what "functionalism" means in the context of philosophy -- so I would start to offer that, trusting that if they already know it, they could just say, and I could move on. But apparently that's not OK either. I have to be fucking psychic and infer without any conversation exactly how much the other person knows. Especially if they're a woman because if I can't read a woman's mind, goddamn, I'm some kind of fucking monster.

Fuck this concept and fuck the people who use it.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:18 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:implying this leads to derailing (as far as that's a thing) the comic thread like it is now.

You seem to imply this is anything more problematic than the fact that the last comic thread's discussion became ENTIRELY about international window differences.

Also, if anyone can keep arguing about a subject after someone's had a lengthy emotionally-charged diatribe like that, they're a stronger person than me.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:22 pm UTC

I arrived just in to time say the Time Traveller's Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations by Dan Streetmentioner fits right in this thread, doesn't it?
Neil_Boekend wrote:What I mean by mansplaining is assuming that a woman doesn't know something because she is a woman, prompting an extensive explanation on a subject that is usually considered "manly". Double points if the man does not actually know much about the subject.

I know the internet is big on creating new words, but I think portmanteaus work only when the two words can be seamlessly joined somewhere.
―◯‐◯ FG Discord◯‐◯―

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:32 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:I know the internet is big on creating new words, but I think portmanteaus work only when the two words can be seamlessly joined somewhere.

You don't mean ... it's a malamanteau?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:43 pm UTC

Personally, I don't condescend to people because they're women; I condescend to people because they're people.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:53 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:Personally, I don't condescend to people because they're women; I condescend to people because they're people.

―◯‐◯ FG Discord◯‐◯―

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:34 pm UTC

rhomboidal wrote:I'll bet she interrupts her own thesis defense the exact same way.
Well, yes, but can you two show that time travel is possible from first principles?
Reecer6 wrote:You seem to imply this is anything more problematic than the fact that the last comic thread's discussion became ENTIRELY about international window differences.
But what happens if I travel back in time to kill Hitler but install a window all wrong? Surely, that will be more of a give away than my complete inability to speak German!
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:09 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:But what happens if I travel back in time to kill Hitler but install a window all wrong? Surely, that will be more of a give away than my complete inability to speak German!
I take it that you're planning a defenestration?

operagost

Postby operagost » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:21 pm UTC

ps.02 wrote:
orthogon wrote:
Echo244 wrote:Definitely mansplaining. [...]

Such a fractal thing, isn't it? I love seeing men explain to women just what should and shouldn't count as mansplaining.

Because all women are experts in mansplaining?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:22 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
Quizatzhaderac wrote:But what happens if I travel back in time to kill Hitler but install a window all wrong? Surely, that will be more of a give away than my complete inability to speak German!

Is it possible to defenestrate a window?

And is there a reason the spell-checker recognises "defenestration" but not "defenestrate"?

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:44 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:

No, he's installing a window, so I think that's an affenestration.
―◯‐◯ FG Discord◯‐◯―

Eternal Density

How to get defenestrated.

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:51 am UTC

Ladies, this comic is about time travel, not mansplaining.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:51 am UTC

orthogon wrote:I think she's being a bit of a dick. The guy is excited about the subject he's just been finding out about, and he's met somebody who's an expert in the field. Maybe he wants some validation; maybe he wants to check that he's understood; maybe he's expecting her to mention out some new research that he's not aware of, or to point out that the community has moved away from the whole wormhole thing recently.

Disagree. I mean, yes, maybe he's just really awkward at conversations, but when I meet an expert, I don't start telling them what their field is about. If I want to know more, I ask questions! And, having been on the other side of that sort of thing myself, I strongly sympathize with her.

Simple fact: mainsplaining is something that (some) men do. They may do it more frequently to women, but they do it to other men as well. I can't tell you the number of times I've had someone who knows just a little of my field try to explain the basics to me. Usually badly. And that type of guy usually doesn't want to hear how things really work. They just want to show off that they've managed to learn some little something. Since I don't like to be rude, I usually just wait quietly for an opportunity to try to change the subject. But it is very annoying.
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

jeslek

Postby jeslek » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:24 pm UTC

Hello everyone, I made an account just for this post after years of lurking when this week's comic was linked to me by a friend.

I feel compelled to reference a summary of my own thesis from 2001, Later put into two arxiv papers because I have "too much time on my hands".

The initial re-post--> https://arxiv.org/abs/1302.3298

A more in depth investigation --> https://arxiv.org/abs/1405.6632

There is a lot of math in these, though I have avoided using the dark arts that string guys are known for, so a BS in physics should be enough.

I am proud to have had at least a little confirmation by some very legit guys:

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0412187
http://arxiv.org/abs/1007.2615

I think I may have come to the right place for talking shop about this stuff. I hope someone finds the time to read some of it! Maybe I should do an AMA...

Mike
P.S. I have been looking for one of those professor jackets with the elbow-pads, but it is proving quite difficult to find. Any leads?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:20 pm UTC

xtifr wrote:Simple fact: mainsplaining is something that (some) men do. They may do it more frequently to women, but they do it to other men as well. I can't tell you the number of times I've had someone who knows just a little of my field try to explain the basics to me. Usually badly. And that type of guy usually doesn't want to hear how things really work. They just want to show off that they've managed to learn some little something. Since I don't like to be rude, I usually just wait quietly for an opportunity to try to change the subject. But it is very annoying.

You don't like to be rude, but isn't it worse to say nothing while the guy unknowingly makes a fool of himself, and then to walk off, inwardly judging him? Do you at least try to make him aware that you already know this stuff? If so, then fair enough. I've had the experience where somebody starts saying something, and I say "oh, you mean X?", and the person says "No," then proceeds at some length to say X. Maybe I, too, have been mansplained to.

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:00 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:You don't like to be rude, but isn't it worse to say nothing while the guy unknowingly makes a fool of himself, and then to walk off, inwardly judging him? Do you at least try to make him aware that you already know this stuff? If so, then fair enough.

Oh. Yeah, I definitely start with that. I mean, I certainly can't fault someone for telling me something if I haven't told them I already know it. At least not until I meet my first mind-reader.*

* Assuming I haven't. I mean, I suppose you never know, but to the best of my knowledge, the number of people I've met who can read minds remains a big, fat zero. :mrgreen:
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:57 pm UTC

While what her future self tells her is certainly plausible, it does raise the question of how she knows the conversation is skippable - either she went through it and we have a grandfather paradox, or she's trapped by self-consistency, and, having skipped out on the conversation because her future self told her she could, she has no choice but to return to lure her younger self away from a conversation that, for all she knows, could have turned out to be the most important one of her life...

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:55 am UTC

Current Cueball, having learnt that he needs to up his game to converse with Current Megan, does up his game and Future Cueball ends up co-developing Time-Travel Tech with Future Megan.

For this to happen, though, they both realise that CM pandering to CC is not going to create the future they know of, and so FM is sent back with FC's blessing to interupt the conversation (as always happens/has happened) and sustain the timeloop that they know results in the TTT they are using, like responsible TTT-users should do...

addams

Postby addams » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:20 am UTC

jeslek wrote:Hello everyone, I made an account just for this post after years of lurking when this week's comic was linked to me by a friend.

I feel compelled to reference a summary of my own thesis from 2001, Later put into two arxiv papers because I have "too much time on my hands".

The initial re-post--> https://arxiv.org/abs/1302.3298

A more in depth investigation --> https://arxiv.org/abs/1405.6632

There is a lot of math in these, though I have avoided using the dark arts that string guys are known for, so a BS in physics should be enough.

I am proud to have had at least a little confirmation by some very legit guys:

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0412187
http://arxiv.org/abs/1007.2615

I think I may have come to the right place for talking shop about this stuff. I hope someone finds the time to read some of it! Maybe I should do an AMA...

Mike
P.S. I have been looking for one of those professor jackets with the elbow-pads, but it is proving quite difficult to find. Any leads?

I'm sorry Mike.
I can not hold up my end of that conversation.

I was recently surprised to learn Wikipedia has a page on Time Travel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_travel

Most of my life, both the Weather and Time Travel were easily covered and good naturedly dismissed with Mark Twain's quip,
'Everyone talks about Time Travel and the Weather. No one ever Does anything about Time Travel and the Weather.'

You come along to tell us, there are persons working together in accredited universities
to DO something about both Time Travel and the Weather.

Go You!!
You may be setting the foundation stones on the discipline that saves us from ourselves.
After reading this Thread, saving us from us, may not seem like the Right thing to do.

If you lose faith in us, maybe you can fall back on your love of Mathematics to keep you going.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Wee Red Bird

Postby Wee Red Bird » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:40 am UTC

Among the accusations of mansplaining, and the long drawn out posts as to why it isn't mansplaining and all the negativity is her fault, I'm wondering what the reactions would have been to this comic had the genders been reversed or both characters the same gender.

My own take on it, if he paying attention to what she said he would be asking "do you know about..." to check each others knowledge boundaries, not assume she doesn't know. He may know something she could find interesting or he may ask to see her thesis as he is interested and wants to know more on the subject.

I've been in her situation so many times with someone droning on but to nice to say "I really don't care" and walk away.

sharpnova

Postby sharpnova » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:17 am UTC

Is it supposed to be part of the joke that the girl he is talking to seems autistic? Or is that a running gag with her or what?

I mean.. I assume that's obvious here. She was unable to form even a basic conversational connection with someone or execute a theory of mind. (i.e. she was incapable of comprehending that what she did her thesis on was new and imminently interesting to him and that the idea of discussing it with someone who knew a lot about it would be exciting for him)

I think most of the time the female characters in xkcd seem autistic. I don't know if it's supposed to be a sexist jab at women or something but it's odd.

sharpnova

Postby sharpnova » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:18 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
xtifr wrote:Maybe I, too, have been mansplained to.

Is there a reason why these forums are very sexist towards men? It's disgusting and anti-intellectual.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:02 pm UTC

sharpnova wrote:Is it supposed to be part of the joke that the girl he is talking to seems autistic? Or is that a running gag with her or what?
I don't see her (or the others) as that, but... Objectivity and all.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”