1793: "Soda Sugar Comparisons"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

orthogon

Re: 1793: "Make Memes Real Again"

Postby orthogon » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:46 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:Good question. How DID they manage that?

Maybe there was a third (large?) vehicle involved which had subsequently been removed? But yeah, it's still difficult to imagine.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

HES

Re: 1793: "Soda Sugar Comparisons"

Postby HES » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:18 pm UTC

Looks like the car on top came from outside the carpark, caught some air on a barrier or something on the way in, and clipped the top of the red one which rolled it over and wedged against the ceiling.

And the derailment came off the bridge, not the tracks in the foreground.
He/Him/His Image

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:08 pm UTC

HES wrote:Looks like the car on top came from outside the carpark, caught some air on a barrier or something on the way in, and clipped the top of the red one which rolled it over and wedged against the ceiling.

Got it in one.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:10 am UTC

The train smash I guessed. That much mass going at high speed, sure it can make a huge mess. The car looks like it had to come in from "in front," not from "the right" to make that mess on the floor, though. I guess the 4x4 absorbed a lot of energy before the brown hit the wall, which is why it's not as flat-nosed as you'd expect from an impact at enough speed to clear three cars.

Weird stuff, speed.
Not as pretty.
Kind of balletic.

Still, at stupid speed I'd have expected messy mess.
Zohar wrote:You don't know what you're talking about. Please spare me your quote sniping and general obliviousness.

CorruptUser wrote:Just admit that you were wrong ... and your entire life, cyberspace and meatspace both, would be orders of magnitude more enjoyable for you and others around you.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:08 pm UTC

HES wrote:And the derailment came off the bridge, not the tracks in the foreground.

Trains can manage such pileup starting from ground level as well, if they derail at high speed.
Sableagle wrote:
Still, at stupid speed I'd have expected messy mess.

Oh, here's another accident from Hungary... hang on, that's kind of odd.
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:03 pm UTC

Would you prefer Russia? Sooker, bilyech! Yo pony, fit? Bilyech. Mutterfooker, hey ishkerry pizhnoff. Svany!

I suppose this is an example of the "multiply to illustrate" thing. 1,000,000 times the mass of a 5.56mm bullet going at 1/200 the speed has 5,000 times the momentum and 25 times the kinetic energy. Will it make 5,000 times as much mess or only 25 times as much? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRsJ_ehDTC8]It'll make a mess, alright.

Someone recently told me that effectiveness = mass x velocity. That'd make a slightly overweight housecat at a brisk walk more effective than a .45 ACP or a 5.56mm, so I think he was wrong.
Zohar wrote:You don't know what you're talking about. Please spare me your quote sniping and general obliviousness.

CorruptUser wrote:Just admit that you were wrong ... and your entire life, cyberspace and meatspace both, would be orders of magnitude more enjoyable for you and others around you.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:20 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:Would you prefer Russia? Sooker, bilyech! Yo pony, fit? Bilyech. Mutterfooker, hey ishkerry pizhnoff. Svany!

I suppose this is an example of the "multiply to illustrate" thing. 1,000,000 times the mass of a 5.56mm bullet going at 1/200 the speed has 5,000 times the momentum and 25 times the kinetic energy. Will it make 5,000 times as much mess or only 25 times as much? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRsJ_ehDTC8]It'll make a mess, alright.
Someone recently told me that effectiveness = mass x velocity. That'd make a slightly overweight housecat at a brisk walk more effective than a .45 ACP or a 5.56mm, so I think he was wrong.

Not really, the phrase "Russian car crash video" isn't particularly unusual these days. I'm fairly certain car crash videos have now replaced natural gas as Russia's main export. The question of "effectiveness" is an interesting one, although I find the choice of word weird.
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:46 pm UTC

This page uses "efficacy" and calculates it as energy * area. Still a weird number.

What gets me about the Russians isn't the number of crashes. Big country, lots of road, large population doing a lot of driving, bad winters? You're going to have a lot of crashes. Law that pays pedestrians a lot of money for "getting hit by" a car? You're going to get scams and you're going to get dashcams to protect against scams. Lots of crashes and everyone has a dashcam? Lots of crashes on camera and the spectacular ones go on YouTube. That I get. It's the number of times in those vids that a speeding car loses it, spins into a truck, sends the truck out of control, bounces over the central reservation, smacks into the front of a school bus, sending the school bus out of control into the wildly veering truck and shatters into pieces and the guy who saw it all and got it all on camera says "Whoa, shit" and drives off into the distance, glad none of the pieces hit him, that gets me. Everybody stop. Once all traffic has stopped, get the casualties who can safely be moved out of the impact / fire risk zone. Consider calling the emergency services. Nah, feck that, got a table booked for lunch. I'm outta here.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:50 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:This page uses "efficacy" and calculates it as energy * area. Still a weird number.

What gets me about the Russians isn't the number of crashes. Big country, lots of road, large population doing a lot of driving, bad winters? You're going to have a lot of crashes. Law that pays pedestrians a lot of money for "getting hit by" a car? You're going to get scams and you're going to get dashcams to protect against scams. Lots of crashes and everyone has a dashcam? Lots of crashes on camera and the spectacular ones go on YouTube. That I get. It's the number of times in those vids that a speeding car loses it, spins into a truck, sends the truck out of control, bounces over the central reservation, smacks into the front of a school bus, sending the school bus out of control into the wildly veering truck and shatters into pieces and the guy who saw it all and got it all on camera says "Whoa, shit" and drives off into the distance, glad none of the pieces hit him, that gets me. Everybody stop. Once all traffic has stopped, get the casualties who can safely be moved out of the impact / fire risk zone. Consider calling the emergency services. Nah, feck that, got a table booked for lunch. I'm outta here.

Yeah, I know why there are so many of them, and based on my (small, but slightly jarring) experience with Ukrainian traffic, I wouldn't drive around there without a dashcam either. Although whether Ukrainian or Russian traffic is the crazier one is not something I know. The nonchalant attitude some drivers in these videos have makes me wonder if such accidents are more commonplace there.
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:50 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:Although whether Ukrainian or Russian traffic is the crazier one is not something I know.
Per million vehicle miles driven I don't know, but this page says Russian's worse per capita:

Code: Select all

Road Traffic Accidents
Death Rate Per 100,000
Age Standardized

Iran                    43.54
Cambodia                16.46
Russia                  16.42
Central Africa          16.25   
Cyprus                  10.07
Ukraine                 10.04
United States            9.99
Cuba                     6.41
Hungary                  6.17
Fiji                     6.13
Japan                    3.28
United Kingdom           2.97
Norway                   2.86
Sweden                   2.36
Maldives                 1.05

I did find a graph:

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:32 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:

Code: Select all

Road Traffic Accidents
Death Rate Per 100,000
Age Standardized

Iran                    43.54
...[everyone else]

So... all those women drivers... eh lads, eh?</1970s Club Comic mode>

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:53 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:women drivers
http://dumptruckdiscovery.com/women-in-mining/
In 2011 I met a mining consultant who told me a story. In the mid 1980’s he was a supervisor at a Pilbara mine in Western Australia. The mining industry was going through a boom and consequently there was a labour shortage. He envisaged that he could combine the urgent need for heavy vehicle (including dump trucks) operators with the need to reduce the boredom of his workers’ partners/wives living in dull, unexciting mining towns. So he proceeded to employ women from town to be trained to operate dump trucks and other machines.

Initially there was a lot of resistance as many men were against the idea of females working in a male dominated industry. So the supervisor began his own record keeping statistics and discovered the following:

• Less tyre damage (the most notable find)
  • Reduced fuel usage (most females tend to be gentler on the accelerator)
  • Less repair and maintenance
  • Performance levels were at a fairly consistent high level throughout a 12 hour shift for females but fluctuated up and down frequently for male drivers.
I heard of one place that saved millions per year in vehicle repair and maintenance by only employing women to drive those big machines.

Don't be getting the dreaded enemy, Iran, mixed up with our friend, Saudi Arabia, though.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:02 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:Don't be getting the dreaded enemy, Iran, mixed up with our friend, Saudi Arabia, though.

Erm, yeah. Good point. That was an actual unforgivable entry-level <foo>ist error of mine that I made. Even whilst I worried about making sure that the satirical (if ultimately erroneous, and therefore additionally superfluous) joke being made wasn't actually being taken seriously by the casual reader...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”