1793: "Soda Sugar Comparisons"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

morriswalters

Re: 1793: "Soda Sugar Comparisons"

Postby morriswalters » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:41 pm UTC

That's a big Hershey Bar. :)

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:35 pm UTC

Wow, that is; the "big" ones I'm familiar with are apparently 200 g. Though apparently Hershey bars come in sizes all the way up to 5 lbs / 2 kg, presumably for use in gifts and not intended to be eaten in a single sitting.

morriswalters wrote:@ Copper Bezel
I added the second strip because the first calls it out, just under the title. I saw it after my other posts. Had I seen it first, I would have posted it and not posted anything else and not gone down this rabbit hole. I have no idea what was on Randall's mind. As a guess, he thinks sugary drinks are bad for you. The first strip was meant to be funny and to point out that most normal people would never eat three Cadbury Eggs in one sitting yet do the equivalent when they drink soft drinks. The second probably wasn't meant to be funny. Just different ways of indicating how much sugar you consume when you drink them over time. Being somewhat slow it took me around 40 years to figure that out. I personally drink beer now, since I like the buzz. I'm sorry if I made it less clear by my posts.

Ah, gotcha. Sorry for my, uh, whatever that was. = o
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:25 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:The names for volumes used mostly for recipes (or to give a sense of scale to those familiar with following recipes) aren't that bad once you get to know them.
For reference:
Spoiler:
3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon,
2 tablespoons = 1 ounce,
8 ounces = 1 cup,
2 cups = 1 pint,
2 pints = 1 quart,
4 quarts = 1 gallon = 128 ounces = 768 teaspoons.

They're kind of similar to the values of our coins, and even more similar to the coins Brits used to use. (TV Tropes!)
There was nothing wrong with having that system, but you gave it up for a metric system. You gave up your heritage, guys! Well, we're not giving ours up.
At the risk of being pedantic.... We're not giving theirs up. :wink:

Do metric 'measuring spoons' come in ml increments like I, V, X, L, C?
Nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. - A. Hamilton

HES

Postby HES » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:41 pm UTC

We've given up more heritage than you ever had to begin with!
He/Him/His Image

speising

Postby speising » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:14 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:That's a big Hershey Bar. :)

I don't know hershey's. The one i'm thinking of has a purple cow as its logo.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:19 pm UTC

Milka, perhaps?
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:48 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:I've see recipes that call for, instead of the obvious "6 eggs", a "cup of eggs" (which just means I have to keep cracking eggs until it fills up the cup) or worse, something like "half a pound of eggs." And I have to google how many eggs in a pound?

Does this mean you have standard eggs? Here in the UK, we have (at least) "medium" and "large" eggs, so "6 eggs" can see a fairly wide variance.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:06 pm UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:Milka, perhaps?

Prompted by that, I just had to make sure that my old acquaintance, from the Project Juno era, Prof. Heinz Wolff was still around...

rmsgrey wrote:Does this mean you have standard eggs? Here in the UK, we have (at least) "medium" and "large" eggs, so "6 eggs" can see a fairly wide variance.

I was going to say otherwise, but (not buying eggs often*) I didn't realise that they'd cut it down from the original numeric size bands...

* - I don't like eggs, fried, scrambled, poached, etc, as eggs, and my own cooking and baking isn't of cakes/flans/whatavyer that need eggs

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:14 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
mathmannix wrote:I've see recipes that call for, instead of the obvious "6 eggs", a "cup of eggs" (which just means I have to keep cracking eggs until it fills up the cup) or worse, something like "half a pound of eggs." And I have to google how many eggs in a pound?

Does this mean you have standard eggs? Here in the UK, we have (at least) "medium" and "large" eggs, so "6 eggs" can see a fairly wide variance.
We have a range of sizes as well. I hate when recipes call for some number of eggs as though that's an unambiguous quantity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_egg_sizes
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:39 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:You don't know what you're talking about. Please spare me your quote sniping and general obliviousness.

CorruptUser wrote:Just admit that you were wrong ... and your entire life, cyberspace and meatspace both, would be orders of magnitude more enjoyable for you and others around you.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:22 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:* - I don't like eggs, fried, scrambled, poached, etc,

How do you feel about green with ham?

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:26 am UTC

This comic is Randall's gift to general chemistry instructors teaching the factor label or unit conversion method of solving problems.

If 946 mL = 1 qt, 128 fl oz = 1 gal, and 1 gal = 4 qt, then 20 fl oz soda contains how many mL?

mL = (946 mL/qt)(4 qt/gal)(1 gal/128 fl oz)(20 fl oz)

= 591 mL 

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:07 am UTC

Sableagle wrote:Image

Someone should probably point out that peacocks don't lay eggs.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:36 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:Someone should probably point out that peacocks don't lay eggs.
Zohar wrote:You don't know what you're talking about. Please spare me your quote sniping and general obliviousness.

CorruptUser wrote:Just admit that you were wrong ... and your entire life, cyberspace and meatspace both, would be orders of magnitude more enjoyable for you and others around you.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:54 pm UTC

qvxb wrote:This comic is Randall's gift to general chemistry instructors teaching the factor label or unit conversion method of solving problems.

If 946 mL = 1 qt, 128 fl oz = 1 gal, and 1 gal = 4 qt, then 20 fl oz soda contains how many mL?

mL = (946 mL/qt)(4 qt/gal)(1 gal/128 fl oz)(20 fl oz)

= 591 mL 

Do people learn that there are 946mL in a quart, but not how many are in a gallon or ounce?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:29 pm UTC

Well in the end in the US you get your data from NIST. Unit conversions are right handy. It helps you to see that 7- 20 fluid oz bottles of coke are not equivalent to a 20 fluid ounces of icing.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:44 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Do people learn that there are 946mL in a quart, but not how many are in a gallon or ounce?

I'm alien space squidding, but it actually was the first conversion into metric from US units that I learned as a child. Or more specifically, the more approximate "a liter is about a quart." (Obviously, I'm more likely to be going the other way now, and thinking that an ounce is about 30 ml.)

she / her / her

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:30 pm UTC

I know a pint is 568mL (a UK pint that is), I've never seen "quart" outside of books written in the last 19th or very early 20th century.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:05 pm UTC

Well, yeah, a pint is a drink. A quart is just a quarter of a gallon. Everyone has drinks, not everyone has gallons....

she / her / her

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:43 pm UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:Do people learn that there are 946mL in a quart, but not how many are in a gallon or ounce?

I'm alien space squidding, but it actually was the first conversion into metric from US units that I learned as a child. Or more specifically, the more approximate "a liter is about a quart." (Obviously, I'm more likely to be going the other way now, and thinking that an ounce is about 30 ml.)
But I don't mean knowing roughly that a liter is about a quart, I mean the specific 946 number used in that calculation.

I'm a lot more likely to remember that an ounce is about 30mL (or 29.5 if an extra digit is needed) and a gallon is about 3.8 L (or 3.79) than that a quart is about 946mL (or a liter is about 1.06qt).

Really, though, I don't get why everyone has such difficulty remembering that a gallon is exactly 231 cubic inches, and an inch is exactly 2.54cm, so a gallon is exactly 3,785.411784 mL.
---

(he/him/his)

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:52 pm UTC

One imperial gallon is 277.419ish cubic inches, though, and exactly 4546.09 millilitres... ;)

(Just because some people don't like the idea of walking about in 8.327 imperial gallon hats... :P)

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:48 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:But I don't mean knowing roughly that a liter is about a quart, I mean the specific 946 number used in that calculation.

Yeah, fair point. And I wasn't really sure where qvxb was going in their post.

she / her / her

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:56 pm UTC

They do, however, hatch from them.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:29 am UTC

1M=39.37in
1cubic centimeter=mL

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:24 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:

They do, however, hatch from them.

Actually, peachicks hatch from them, some of which then go on to become peacocks.

(Thought for the day: do peachicks eat chickpeas?)

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:25 am UTC

No images of them doing so found before I saw this one:

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:47 am UTC

I've known forever the ditty "A litre of water's a pint and three quarters". I guess it was important to note that a litre is less than two pints to avoid getting short-changed. (In fact I'm in Paris at the moment, and bars here offer a "pinte" which is actually 500ml).

I haven't known the reverse conversion factor as long; that goes back to a TV advert which jokingly made out that the EU had forced them to change the wording from "it's a great pint" to "it's a great point five seven of a litre". (That made it easy to remember the more accurate 568ml).

Sadly 51.8% of my compatriots didn't get the joke.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:54 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:Does this mean you have standard eggs?
Yes.

Domestic cookbooks refer to "Large eggs" which are [56.7g,63.8g). I went and checked the complete selection of eggs in my supermarket. About 2/3 of the eggs were large, with the remainder being larger. Smaller eggs are likely produced in large amounts, but used in restaurants and food processing.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:09 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:[ a gallon is exactly 231 cubic inches

..wha... huh...why on Earth did they pick that particular number?
That by the way is a question I ask every time I look up one of the imperial units. It's also one of the reasons my reaction to most imperial units is "What the heck's a quart again?" (the other being that there are so damn many of them).
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:37 pm UTC

Presumably it was simply the closest integer multiple available when someone decided to define the one against the other, since the units of volume were not originally based on the units of length as they were in metric.

she / her / her

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:12 pm UTC

Yeah, most of them make sense within their domain (common volumes are all powers of 2 except for 3 teaspoons in a tablespoon, lengths are mostly 2s and 3s, temperature was originally divided by powers of 2 between reference points, weights are mostly powers of 2 with maybe a 3 here and there, etc.) It's just that the relationships between domains weren't standard to start with so the resulting numbers aren't as nice.
---

(he/him/his)

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:03 pm UTC

Where can you buy skittles by the gallon?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:17 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Where can you buy skittles by the gallon?

Dunno, but your avatar always makes me laugh. Says a lot about the state of railways here...

(edited a weird typo)
Last edited by somitomi on Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:09 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:

Dunno, but your avatar always makes me laugh. SpeSays a lot about the state of railways here...

I thought it was just a real-world shot of the "multitrack drifting" meme.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:37 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:
somitomi wrote:

Dunno, but your avatar always makes me laugh. Says a lot about the state of railways here...

It sort of is, but it happened by accident. It seems to happen surprisingly frequently...
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

Eternal Density

Re: 1793: "Make Memes Real Again"

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:38 am UTC

somitomi wrote:
Mikeski wrote:
somitomi wrote:

It sort of is, but it happened by accident. It seems to happen surprisingly frequently...

Thanks, I needed those images for research purposes (really). My previous searches for 'train on two tracks' and similar in English just wasn't good enough to find much.

I found another one. Oh, Canada!
http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=354064&nseq=20
Sadly this one's more just sitting there derailed than drifting. Still, it didn't end up in the drink, and it's a sure sight better than https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1928_Time ... derailment
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:37 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Thanks, I needed those images for research purposes (really). My previous searches for 'train on two tracks' and similar in English just wasn't good enough to find much.

Sadly this one's more just sitting there derailed than drifting. Still, it didn't end up in the drink, and it's a sure sight better than https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1928_Time ... derailment

Glad to help. Need some more? :lol:
But jokes (and self-promotion) aside, when the points are switched under a car it usually ends up derailed (like this boxcar, or this Slovakian coach), making such a nice "drifting" pic harder to find (contrary to my previous post). Although those are still pretty nice considering how messy derailments can be...
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:18 am UTC

somitomi wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Thanks, I needed those images for research purposes (really). My previous searches for 'train on two tracks' and similar in English just wasn't good enough to find much.

Glad to help. Need some more? :lol:
But jokes (and self-promotion) aside, when the points are switched under a car it usually ends up derailed (like this boxcar, or this Slovakian coach), making such a nice "drifting" pic harder to find (contrary to my previous post). Although those are still pretty nice considering how messy derailments can be...

Thanks! Yeah, the sources I read made it pretty clear that derailment is the standard outcome. More's the pity.
Still, there's some decent content if you accept model railroads :D

colonel_hack

Postby colonel_hack » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:28 pm UTC

It seems like there is some of this in Buster Keaton / Marx brothers type movies. Don't know if intentional/fictional occurrences count for your research (Tho such a clip might be handy for a presentation).

It seems to have been done with railroad guns (shown with models at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMJlzO4KDy4
At about 3:40)
though any real pictures I seen may have been more running on two full sets of rails like
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/08/17/10/2B5E20DA00000578-3196686-image-a-34_1439802806951.jpg
which prob'ly wouldn't count

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:53 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:... how messy derailments can be...

Good question. How DID they manage that?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”