1817: "Incognito Mode"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jorpho

1817: "Incognito Mode"

Postby Jorpho » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:14 pm UTC

Title text: They're really the worst tech support team. And their solutions are always the same. "This OS X update broke something." "LET'S INFILTRATE APPLE BY MORPHING APPLES!"

Goodness, 15:11 GMT and no thread yet. Oh well.

If you don't quite get the reference, it turns out Animorphs gets pretty darn intense at times.
http://www.dorkly.com/post/80575/animor ... line-david
[ETA: Don't neglect to click through to the original tumblr post.]

It kind of makes me wish I had paid more attention to it as a young'un. But it's a long series, and I suspect trying to track down each volume would have gotten too frustrating after a while.
Last edited by Jorpho on Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Re: 1817: "Incognito Mode"

Postby Whizbang » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:18 pm UTC

If you browse in Incognito Mode for more than four hours, seek medical attention.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:46 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:If you browse in Incognito Mode for more than four hours, seek medical attention.

If you're browsing in Incognito Mode seeking medical attention, you have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

squall_line

Postby squall_line » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:52 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:If you're browsing in Incognito Mode seeking medical attention, you have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Just qualify it with "Asking for a friend", amirite? (I think that's how that works)

Based on currently debated legislation and the news stories about how it will allow the sale of browsing habits, how long before "Incognito Mode" becomes the default on browsers? And/or will there be a rise in people using default-incognito browsers?

I'd like to use Incognito more often, but the computers at work all go through a proxy, so someone's tracking me anyway.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:03 pm UTC

If you browse in Incognito Mode, your name will become Richie

Side note: until I researched this guy, I thought he'd changed his name in honor of being unsung or some such athlete meme.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Showsni

Postby Showsni » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:40 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:It kind of makes me wish I had paid more attention to it as a young'un. But it's a long series, and I suspect trying to track down each volume would have gotten too frustrating after a while.

I can remember getting a new one every time we went on holiday. The hardest to get were the ones they never got around to publishing in the UK, of course; had to send off to America for them.

"LET'S INFILTRATE APPLE BY MORPHING APPLES!"

Though they never actually tried morphing plants, right? You'd think it would have come up at least once.

Sqee

Postby Sqee » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:47 pm UTC

Strange they never went for plants, since the (ghost)writers were really happy to screw up the franchise in any way they could think of just so they could stand on the soapbox of the day.

hetas

Postby hetas » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:57 pm UTC

squall_line wrote:Based on currently debated legislation and the news stories about how it will allow the sale of browsing habits, how long before "Incognito Mode" becomes the default on browsers? And/or will there be a rise in people using default-incognito browsers?

I'd like to use Incognito more often, but the computers at work all go through a proxy, so someone's tracking me anyway.

Incognito mode won't do anything against ISPs selling your browsing history. It can only make it harder to obtain for other people using the same device.

The legislation your referring is apparently going to change. I was wondering whether the data ISPs can sell is anonymized or statistical data or are they really allowed to sell data tied to a an individual person or ip-address?

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:46 pm UTC

Thanks for the links, OP. I never knew.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:04 am UTC

hetas wrote:Incognito mode won't do anything against ISPs selling your browsing history. It can only make it harder to obtain for other people using the same device.

I think it is worth pointing out that HTTPS will prevent your ISP from seeing what you're doing. They will be able to see which sites you visit; that's inevitable (*) since they have to know where to send your packets, but they won't be able to see what you're looking at on Amazon, whom you're sending email to in GMail, etc.

(*) unless you're going all out and using VPN or Tor

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:12 am UTC

If you log in to a session that never expires in incognito mode and close the window before logging out, you'll be logged in through that session forever.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

stopmadnessnow

Postby stopmadnessnow » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:07 pm UTC

If you use incognito mode you'll go 8-).
For comic writing or short story writing post-haste, contact the off-the peg joke chap. He has the nous.
http://plwimsett.simplesite.com/ for my site.
https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01110048bacb43eae6 to hire me at Upwork.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”