1871: "Bun Alert"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

heuristically_alone

Re: 1871: "Bun Alert"

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:23 pm UTC

FOARP wrote:OK, the vague humour of an app for spotting bunny-rabbits is for me outweighed by my annoyance at the idea that "bun" in a nick-name for them when I've never heard it used that way (likely due to the obvious potential for confusion).

But hey, there's no rule that says that I have to like every one of these comics that Randall makes in his spare time and allows us to read for free.

Have you forgotten about 1682?

1682 alt text
Spoiler:
If a wild bun is sighted, a nice gesture of respect is to send a 'BUN ALERT' message to friends and family, with photographs documenting the bun's location and rank. If no photographs are possible, emoji may be substituted.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Beatrice wrote:The world is quiet here.

Tillian wrote:sig'd

pscottdv

Postby pscottdv » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:34 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Reka wrote:Relatives in Europe always think we must live in a totally wild/rural area, because we complain about the deer, rabbits, and bushy-tailed tree rats squirrels, but the mid-Atlantic East Coast is actually among the most densely-populated areas of the US.
The whole of the UK is less dense than Connecticut but denser than Maryland. England would be the second densest US state, sitting comfortably between Rhode Island and New Jersey. The Netherlands are on par with England, and Belgium would be third, behind RI but still denser than Massachusetts.

I don't think I've ever seen a rabbit in the wilderness-wild, either, but I've seen tons of them in people's yards.

I have generally found forest wildlife and small wildlife much easier to spot in and around cities than in the wilderness. My theory is that the limited amount of green space forces them to be in close proximity to people. In the wilderness, they can easily avoid the areas frequented by people.

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:53 pm UTC

pscottdv wrote:
I have generally found forest wildlife and small wildlife much easier to spot in and around cities than in the wilderness. My theory is that the limited amount of green space forces them to be in close proximity to people. In the wilderness, they can easily avoid the areas frequented by people.

My experience as well. In urban areas there have been times where I could practically walk up and pet deer. But when I'm hunting on the farm in a very rural area of Kansas if they even catch a whiff of me they bolt. But quite honestly, that isn't unexpected. Animals get used to their surroundings. They may not be the most intelligent creatures out there but they still know how to analyze a threat based on their life experience.

Back to roundabouts, in Kansas the prairie dog was all but wiped out (at least in south-central and central kansas) for agriculture reasons. Too costly for a rancher to lose a horse or a head of cattle due to a leg break. So they exterminated all of them long ago. They've recently started to reintroduce them though in urban areas. Mainly in roundabouts and highway medians. I've never once seen a dead one on the side of the road so they are either smart enough to not try to cross it (perhaps they simply tunnel underneath) or the city is quick enough to clean them up. Either way the kids love them.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:57 pm UTC

Showsni wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
Showsni wrote:The next roundabout along the dual carriageway was briefly home to a deer or two, but I don't think it is any more.

how big are your roundabouts that they have enough vegetation to house a deer or two? good grief. I've lived in some areas where deer were quite densely populated and practically lived in people's yards (eating the old lady's rose bushes which always gave us a good chuckle) but to live in a roundabout?!?

It was this roundabout: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.86587 ... 312!8i6656

trpmb6, it's difficult to convey the extent of our attachment to roundabouts. We fuckin' love 'em. They're what guns are to the USA. If we had a single written Constitution document, the first thing on it would be about roundabouts.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:24 pm UTC

And most of the way through it, including...

1st Amendment: No one may impede traffic already on the roundabout, with freedom of motion around it.
2nd Amendment: A well organised rotation being necessary to the smooth movement of traffic, the right to bear to the right shall not be infringed.
3rd Amendment: No driver shall be forced to suffer a squeegee merchant on the sliproad.
4th Amendment: Moped riders shall not seize goods through open windows. (Mostly redundant. Adverse weather is the rule, not the exception. And when it's adversely hot, there's the smell of melting tar..)
5th Amendment: Includes clauses ensuring that no-one should have to go twice round the roundabout.
6th Amendment: If there's a bumper-lumper (British version of a fender-bender... honest!) the insurance claims and liability should be made speedily and fairly.
7th Amendment: Guarantees trial-by-rubberneckers, in the above case..
8th Amendment: ..and Insurance Premium hikes should be fair.
9th Amendment: No-one understands this one. At least not in the same way as everyone else.

The rest are self explanatory, of course. Especially the 18th Amendment (meant to stop stag parties sicking up in the back of limos) that was repealed by the 21st when it was discovered it just didn't work.

fibonacci

Postby fibonacci » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:01 pm UTC

Sir Mix-a-lot has a similarly described, but functionally quite different app.

DanD

Postby DanD » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:23 pm UTC

Showsni wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
Showsni wrote:The next roundabout along the dual carriageway was briefly home to a deer or two, but I don't think it is any more.

how big are your roundabouts that they have enough vegetation to house a deer or two? good grief. I've lived in some areas where deer were quite densely populated and practically lived in people's yards (eating the old lady's rose bushes which always gave us a good chuckle) but to live in a roundabout?!?

It was this roundabout: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.86587 ... 312!8i6656

I don't think they were actually living there, just that they'd wandered onto it and couldn't get off for a day or two, and were spotted by passing motorists. Unlike the rabbits, who live on this roundabout:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.86395 ... 312!8i6656

Looks like the streetview camera got them a few times:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.86390 ... 312!8i6656 https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.86408 ... 312!8i6656

My parents live in (barely) Suburban Washington DC, as in MD within walking distance of the DC line. Their house is in a post WWII development, decent but not huge yards. They routinely have deer migrating through, or even living in for periods in their back yard. In addition, Rock Creek Park, which goes directly into the city, has had to institute a culling of deer, because, with the lack of predators, they are outproducing their food sources. (The meat from healthy animals goes to the homeless shelters in the city). Urban wildlife is definitely a thing these days, and it's not limited to smaller animals.

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:39 pm UTC

DanD wrote:
My parents live in (barely) Suburban Washington DC, as in MD within walking distance of the DC line. Their house is in a post WWII development, decent but not huge yards. They routinely have deer migrating through, or even living in for periods in their back yard. In addition, Rock Creek Park, which goes directly into the city, has had to institute a culling of deer, because, with the lack of predators, they are outproducing their food sources. (The meat from healthy animals goes to the homeless shelters in the city). Urban wildlife is definitely a thing these days, and it's not limited to smaller animals.

Many municipalities across the US that have outlawed hunting (either completely or restricting in some form) now find themselves with overpopulation issues. I know of several farms in St. Louis county in Missouri that are along the flood plains of the missouri river that get ravaged by huge deer populations. (In fact, when they have massive floods in that area they stome times have to close the highways due to mass migration of the deer herd). We used to bow hunt on some of those farms but I've since moved and have recently heard they may not even allow bow hunting at this point. You could literally go out there at dusk and lose count of how many deer there were. No wonder the number of deer involved car accidents has risen sharply in recent years.

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:44 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
trpmb6, it's difficult to convey the extent of our attachment to roundabouts. We fuckin' love 'em. They're what guns are to the USA. If we had a single written Constitution document, the first thing on it would be about roundabouts.

They are beginning to make their appearance in the US. we have a few in my area. Starting to see the diverging diamond interchange now even.. Diverging Diamond Interchange From my home town

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:16 pm UTC

trpmb6 wrote:
Many municipalities across the US that have outlawed hunting (either completely or restricting in some form) now find themselves with overpopulation issues. I know of several farms in St. Louis county in Missouri that are along the flood plains of the Missouri river that get ravaged by huge deer populations. (In fact, when they have massive floods in that area they some times have to close the highways due to mass migration of the deer herd). We used to bow hunt on some of those farms but I've since moved and have recently heard they may not even allow bow hunting at this point. You could literally go out there at dusk and lose count of how many deer there were. No wonder the number of deer involved car accidents has risen sharply in recent years.

This might be interesting info to those who are not hunters (like me). My brother-in-law lives in rural Wisconsin. Every season the Game & Fish Department assays the number of deer in the wild and issues the number of hunting permits required to keep the population at healthy levels ... not that every hunter who buys a permits bags a deer, but most do. So my BIL gets his permit every year and has harvested a good amount of protein for the cost of a bullet (he does his own butchering). No travel time or gas required because he shoots from the comfort of his back deck.

How, you might ask, can that be legal or safe? First he's in a rural area where guns "cannot be discharged within 1/4 mile of an occupied building" (his nearest neighbor is like 1/2 mile away). Second, the deer come to him to eat the apples in his orchard. It's illegal to use bait to attract a deer for kill, but his apples are not considered bait ... they're produce being stolen by the deer. He checked with G&FD and they said "no worries." So he just grabs a 6-pack of beer, loads his rifle, and sits on his deck watching through a spotting scope until the target shows up. Bang. Free legal protein, usually between 50-100 pounds dressed out.

He also shoots "buns" that mess with his garden. Not for protein, just for eradication. Seems a waste, but that's the reality of hunting in the US.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:19 pm UTC

fibonacci wrote:Sir Mix-a-lot

Is that the name of a roundabout variant?

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:37 pm UTC

Heimhenge wrote:
He also shoots "buns" that mess with his garden. Not for protein, just for eradication. Seems a waste, but that's the reality of hunting in the US.

I wouldn't say "the reality of hunting."

As a seasoned hunter I call your BIL an ass. Hunter's should (and most do, at least in my experience) to a very strict code of ethics. If I knew your BIL I'd call him out straight to his face for not fully utilizing the rabbit he harvested. Rabbit fur can fetch some money at farmer's markets and rabbit meat stew is actually quite good (heck it's good just grilled honestly). Your BIL is the type of person who gives us a bad reputation. Hunting should be viewed as a conservation effort. Just under 100,000 deer were taken in Missouri alone last year. Imagine if that level of population was allowed to reproduce year after year. In just one decade the herd would be unmanageable. If the habitat could even support such a large herd (which is unlikely).

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:24 pm UTC

Silhalnor wrote:Are you sure that's not just a duck?
A lot of people get'em confused.

Spoiler:

There is a Duckrabbit Brewery in NC, USA, that uses a take on that drawing as their logo. They also make very good beer.
He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:37 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:

I expect it would look like this:
Spoiler:

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:26 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

Spoiler:

That is some dark-magic shit right there. I'm fairly sure that if a traffic engineer tried to show a plan of that to the transportation commission in any city, they would be laughed out of the room, and then be subjected to a "random drug test."
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:38 pm UTC

trpmb6 wrote:
Heimhenge wrote:

As a seasoned hunter I call your BIL an ass. Hunter's should (and most do, at least in my experience) to a very strict code of ethics. If I knew your BIL I'd call him out straight to his face for not fully utilizing the rabbit he harvested. Rabbit fur can fetch some money at farmer's markets and rabbit meat stew is actually quite good (heck it's good just grilled honestly). Your BIL is the type of person who gives us a bad reputation. Hunting should be viewed as a conservation effort. Just under 100,000 deer were taken in Missouri alone last year. Imagine if that level of population was allowed to reproduce year after year. In just one decade the herd would be unmanageable. If the habitat could even support such a large herd (which is unlikely).

Point taken. I hate to see any food wasted. Not saying I agree with my BIL's practices, but he leaves the carcass where it is and by the next day it's "recycled" by foxes, wolves, raptors, whatever ... totally gone. So it's not like the protein is "wasted." Good idea about the skins though ... I'll mention that to him since they have several farmers markets in the area.

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:45 pm UTC

Come on, I would've thought that by now there would be at least one reference to Jimmy Carter.

fibonacci

Postby fibonacci » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:34 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:

His music does reference a "round thing in your face", so perhaps.

Still waiting to hear whether or not the other brothers can deny, concerning the roundabout.

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:41 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

Spoiler:

That is some dark-magic shit right there. I'm fairly sure that if a traffic engineer tried to show a plan of that to the transportation commission in any city, they would be laughed out of the room, and then be subjected to a "random drug test."

Well it is a pentagon. Clearly nefarious.

fibonacci

Postby fibonacci » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:02 am UTC

Spoiler:
WBUN.png

Just in from the other brothers at WBUN, they can't deny.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:01 am UTC

Here,

I've made it better
Attachments
IMG_3140.JPG
Peaceful Whale wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:Spell it out for me.
I-T

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:27 am UTC

GUYS. I saw the tiniest Urban Bunny yesterday on someone's lawn. It could fit in my hand, and I have rather small hands (can't reach more than an octave on the piano). It was pretty great.

My husband and I do not have an electric alert system in place, but I am required to stop what I am doing, point and say "URBAN BUNNY!" in a high-pitched voice in the case of a bunny sighting.
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:28 am UTC

trpmb6 wrote:
Heimhenge wrote:

... If I knew your BIL I'd call him out straight to his face for not fully utilizing the rabbit he harvested. Rabbit fur can fetch some money at farmer's markets and rabbit meat stew is actually quite good (heck it's good just grilled honestly)....

Indeed. As a kid I lived for a while in a small town in central AZ, and we'd walk out of town with our 22's, where the farmers welcomed us. We'd usually bring back a number of rabbits. Unlike the soft, flabby domestic rabbits, the wild ones have very flavorful dark meat, and the family had them for meals quite often. The farmers also didn't like the local wild doves, and we'd bring them home. They're smaller than pigeons, and if you're hungry you can easily eat a whole one. But a wild bunny would usually feed two people. People who kill wild rabbits and don't eat them just don't know what they're missing. They make a nice break from all those venison dinners.

(My family liked to freak out visitors by serving them fried rattlesnake. Sometimes we'd persuade them to go along with us on a snake hunt. But that's another funny story.)

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:20 am UTC

I see buns a lot in the city. A few years ago, there was one on my street, a black and white one obviously a pet that had gotten loose. We left food out and he appreciated it, gracing our property often. I would have liked to let him run free in the neighborhood, but he almost got run over.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:31 am UTC

studyinserendipity wrote:GUYS. I saw the tiniest Urban Bunny yesterday on someone's lawn. It could fit in my hand, and I have rather small hands (can't reach more than an octave on the piano). It was pretty great.

My husband and I do not have an electric alert system in place, but I am required to stop what I am doing, point and say "URBAN BUNNY!" in a high-pitched voice in the case of a bunny sighting.

I neither have nor am a husband, but I do something like this. Only mine is for coyotes.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:05 am UTC

orthogon wrote:trpmb6, it's difficult to convey the extent of our attachment to roundabouts. We fuckin' love 'em. They're what guns are to the USA. If we had a single written Constitution document, the first thing on it would be about roundabouts.

So that's where it's coming from. Civil engineers here seem to have a newfound love for roundabouts, which is fine. Roundabouts are a nice way of dealing with some traffic situations. But sometimes they go overboard, at least that is the only explanation I see for this nonsense to exist.
I still can't get over how stupid that is, but then the same motorway has these tunnels...
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

FOARP

Postby FOARP » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:10 am UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:
FOARP wrote:OK, the vague humour of an app for spotting bunny-rabbits is for me outweighed by my annoyance at the idea that "bun" in a nick-name for them when I've never heard it used that way (likely due to the obvious potential for confusion).

But hey, there's no rule that says that I have to like every one of these comics that Randall makes in his spare time and allows us to read for free.

1682 alt text
Spoiler:
If a wild bun is sighted, a nice gesture of respect is to send a 'BUN ALERT' message to friends and family, with photographs documenting the bun's location and rank. If no photographs are possible, emoji may be substituted.

Nope, still not that funny. And no, Randall isn't going to make Bun a slang term for rabbits. I hate* when rappers try to make up their own slang just to make their lyrics work (see: "biscuit" as slang for a gun), so comedians trying to do the same annoys as well.

*not really

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:14 am UTC

We get hares around my house sometimes. Big ugly things. Not buns at all :(
Sometimes there's echidnas though. They're like prickly buns.
Soupspoon wrote:A couple of days ago, I was walking along a canal towpath, and came across a guy wearing full camouflage suit and hat (not matching, but clearly "the good stuff", not transiently fashionable camo-patterned stuff from a market stalls or TK Maxx) and what was likely an air-rifle bag slung over his shoulder. Not a normal sight, for this semi-urban city-scape green splotch of land. But neither entirely unexpected, given the demographics in the areas near which I'm passing by.

This not being London1 I greeted him, covering up my internal social awkwardness by saying as how I nearly didn't see him, with his camouflage (which was various hues of brown, not at all blending in with the metalled path his was stood in the middle of, nor the verdant undergrowth off to the field-side), very much in the manner that one could 'claim' to fellow travellers not to have seen the military convoy travelling up the other side of the motorway, what with their camouflaging. (Or is that just my family's whimsy, never used elesewhere?)...
Soupspoon, I find your style of storytelling most enjoyable. How do I subscribe to your newsletter?

Oh and we have some decently vegetated roundabouts too. I think I've seen possums!
Though this one's not technically a roundabout because there's not actually an intersection, but you can go around and around if you really want to so that's something.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

nick012000

Postby nick012000 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:18 pm UTC

JDGA wrote:Rabbits being pests here, I anticipated the alert would summon someone to shoot the thing. Sadly I then realised it wasn't Black Hat Guy...

Yeah. Down here in Australia, we're busy trying to genocide them with biological weapons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbits_i ... l_measures

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:38 pm UTC

I see you Aussies have upped your game since losing that war against the emus.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:54 pm UTC

I find it fascinating that other places have to deal with invasive species just as much as much (well I presume to be so if you're dealing with rabbits) invasive species as we deal with in the united states.

Mjb

Postby Mjb » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:21 pm UTC

trpmb6 wrote:I find it fascinating that other places have to deal with invasive species just as much as much (well I presume to be so if you're dealing with rabbits) invasive species as we deal with in the united states.

Australia and Canada in particular - the number of introduced species seems proportional to the exchange of people. Other places may have less disruption, but there's something for everyone.

sonar1313

Postby sonar1313 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:21 pm UTC

FOARP wrote:
heuristically_alone wrote:

1682 alt text
Spoiler:

Nope, still not that funny. And no, Randall isn't going to make Bun a slang term for rabbits. I hate* when rappers try to make up their own slang just to make their lyrics work (see: "biscuit" as slang for a gun), so comedians trying to do the same annoys as well.

*not really

To be fair to Randall, he's really not the first to use the term and is only following the footsteps of giants.

Spoiler:

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:33 am UTC

Yeah, it's not at all new. The people who call snakes sneks and birds birbs call rabbits buns.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:37 am UTC

But not Rabs?

:P

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:05 am UTC

BUN ALERT!

Just saw several dozen middling-rank buns at Ojai Meadows Preserve.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:09 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:But not Rabs?

:P

People might think you're talking about rabbis. ;-)

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:23 am UTC

Wow, the Isle of the Dead is a roundabout! I'll have to adjust my theology accordingly.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:39 pm UTC

I'm just going to leave this link here. Check out the link in the link.

Warning - Bun alert!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:30 pm UTC

ObsessoMom wrote:Wow, the Isle of the Dead is a roundabout! I'll have to adjust my theology accordingly.

So that's where dresden codak got that tomb environment from!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”