1878: "Earth Orbital Diagram"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

1878: "Earth Orbital Diagram"

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:39 pm UTC

Title Text: You shouldn't look directly at a partial eclipse because of the damage that can be caused by improperly aligning the solar-lunar orbital plane with the orbital bones around the eye.

I don't like this new version of the Enterprise. Cockeyed, and no nacelles at all!

Flumble
Yes Man

Re: 1878: "Earth Orbital Diagram"

Postby Flumble » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:21 pm UTC

I always wondered where the solar plexus was. Didn't sound like a body part at all.

Are the distances and sizes to scale on this diagram?

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:27 pm UTC

Shouldn't those 'dimples' be on that little golfball thingie?
A childhood spent walking while reading books has prepared me unexpectedly well for today's world.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:49 pm UTC

Epic Troll Cartoon!

I can't wait for the uninitiated to complain about the mistakes in nomenclature
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

rbgos

Postby rbgos » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:53 pm UTC

Correction from a Brit - Solstice is NOT the same as Equinox, quite the opposite. The Solstice is the longest and shortest days (21 June and 21 December), the Equinox is when the night and day are equal, in March and September.

hamjudo

Postby hamjudo » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:09 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Are the distances and sizes to scale on this diagram?

Not even close to scale. In the real world, the sun and moon are the same size. I know, I've been outside and seen them.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:14 pm UTC

rbgos wrote:Correction from a Brit - Solstice is NOT the same as Equinox, quite the opposite. The Solstice is the longest and shortest days (21 June and 21 December), the Equinox is when the night and day are equal, in March and September.
Yes, like almost every other word in the comic, this one was intentionally wrong.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:19 pm UTC

I was curious about those 3 small symbols on the right edge. The outside 2 are being pointed at by lines/vectors and the inner one appears to label an angle. Checked the astrology/astronomy symbols first. The one on the bottom kinda looks like the symbol for Mercury but it's got an extra set of horns. Then I checked the Greek alphabet. No matches there either. Didn't think the joke would extend to making up symbols, but that appears to be the case.

netsplit
Location: Z̈̓̾̾̀̉ͬ̅ͯͪͬ̚͢͏̴̝̝̩̳͙͘a̷̧̰̥̯͎͍͍̻̮͔̭̰̗̺̩̐̀͛͐ͥ͐ͨ͆̀̉̐̌̅͑ͣ͟ͅľ̸̠̟̭̲̜̹̗͎͍̗̤͖̤͕̣̝̀̊̑ͯͬ͌̍ͬ͂ͤ͛̀̚g̍̅́ͮ̌̏ͣ́̀͏͍

Postby netsplit » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:36 pm UTC

The prolapse in the heavens
from da craddle to da grave, geek life 4 eva
better show hardcore respect ya'll

JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:54 pm UTC

Needs more Kampyle of Eudoxus.

Heimhenge wrote:I was curious about those 3 small symbols on the right edge. The outside 2 are being pointed at by lines/vectors and the inner one appears to label an angle. Checked the astrology/astronomy symbols first. The one on the bottom kinda looks like the symbol for Mercury but it's got an extra set of horns. Then I checked the Greek alphabet. No matches there either. Didn't think the joke would extend to making up symbols, but that appears to be the case.
It's kind of close to ¤, which would be fitting, since the symbol above it resembles ₡ .

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:56 pm UTC

Can we please just do the astral plane, thx.
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Quercus wrote:Agreed, but "constitutional fetishism" doesn't have that lovely alliteration between fetishism, first and fucking
rath358 wrote:I have been replaced D:

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:07 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:I can't wait for the uninitiated to complain about the mistakes in nomenclature

...and you didn't have to. :mrgreen:

Heimhenge wrote:I was curious about those 3 small symbols on the right edge. The outside 2 are being pointed at by lines/vectors and the inner one appears to label an angle. Checked the astrology/astronomy symbols first. The one on the bottom kinda looks like the symbol for Mercury but it's got an extra set of horns. Then I checked the Greek alphabet. No matches there either. Didn't think the joke would extend to making up symbols, but that appears to be the case.

I swear I've seen the arc-circle-arc before –possibly even as phase of the Moon– but I can't find anything similar. :?

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:17 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:I can't wait for the uninitiated to complain about the mistakes in nomenclature

Indeed the "nomenclature" is clearly the bit that holds the sticky-out bit of a sundial in place.

rbgos wrote:Correction from a Brit - Solstice is NOT the same as Equinox, quite the opposite.
Well, technically the opposite of Solstice is Solstice, and the opposite of Equinox is…

…IGMC.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:39 pm UTC

Title Text: You shouldn't look directly at a partial eclipse because of the damage that can be caused by improperly aligning the solar-lunar orbital plane with the orbital bones around the eye.

But if I view it with a ghost between me and the eclipse, or in a puddle on the floor, I'll be fine, right?
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:42 pm UTC

Heimhenge wrote:...the inner one appears to label an angle.
The middle one appears to be a phi with an extra line (phii?). The lower-case Phi (in spherical coordinates) applies to the actual a sort of north-south ness (of the sun in this case).

I checked the character map and none of the three appear, so I expect Randal is subtly trolling us.

The doubleyuu thing might be an allusion to lower case omega, which represents angular velocity.
Soupspoon wrote:Well, technically the opposite of Solstice is Solstice, and the opposite of Equinox is…
The perpendicular of Solstice then.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:43 pm UTC

rbgos wrote:Correction from a Brit - Solstice is NOT the same as Equinox, quite the opposite. The Solstice is the longest and shortest days (21 June and 21 December), the Equinox is when the night and day are equal, in March and September.

I refer you to my post one above yours.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

fibonacci

Postby fibonacci » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:49 pm UTC

And the countdown until there is adult fan-fiction of this starts. Incidentally, do not do an image search for several of the terms in the diagram.

*edit
I have been informed that numerous creation myths are in fact adult fan-fiction of this diagram. </blush>

Codesmith

Postby Codesmith » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:15 pm UTC

Well, the top symbol looks like a v with an 'o' ordinal, and I can't seem to find anything quite like it.

The second looks a lot like an duplex outlet on a housing blueprint https://www.archtoolbox.com/representation/graphic-symbols/electsymbols.html

and the bottom symbol appears to be alchemical symbol for ammoniam salt (sal ammoniacus) http://www.symbols.com/symbol/ammonium-salt-%28alternate-%232%29.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:46 pm UTC

I once called in sick to work. Told the boss I had been diagnosed with a dirichlet condition and had to undergo an immediate xiphoid process.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:10 pm UTC

Angles and dangles. Here's how he trolled you. Eclipses are interrupted sight lines. The Equinox or Solstice are the same thing in different places. The angles are all the different axis. He puts the axis in the sun and develops everything from that.

He telling you familiar things in unfamiliar ways. The planes and the lines tell the story. For example what the equinox tells you is where you are in the orbit, there are two places on the ground where the meanings are different. If it is the equinox here, what is it in Australia?

I think the hypothecate is a sight line that defines the angle where the moon starts to eclipse the sun. And so on. The other one is an axis through the center of the sun to the center of the earth, the hypothecate is half the apparent size of the moon when it starts to eclipse. When the two lines cover each other the eclipse is total. Have fun. I'm probably having the wrong conversation.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:18 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:The Equinox or Solstice are the same thing in different places.
Umm, no?

Or maybe I just got whooshed, before I even got round to being critical of the rest.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:21 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:If it is the equinox here, what is it in Australia?
Also the equinox, though if you call it the spring or fall equinox in the US, it will be the fall or spring equinox, respectively, in Australia.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

StClair

Postby StClair » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:24 pm UTC

Kerbin, of course, does have an eclipse every munth.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:38 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
morriswalters wrote:The Equinox or Solstice are the same thing in different places.
Umm, no?

Or maybe I just got whooshed, before I even got round to being critical of the rest.
The equinox is a place in an orbit. He didn't didn't mention the season. You could have inferred that because it means two different things, at the same time. Ride that point, like, well, you do. Tomorrow it will be a different point, however the equinox will be there waiting until you get there.. Randall's Rule, what you see, isn't what is there. Axial tilt causes the equinox. I see everything he is saying, I just don't have referents, without diving deeper than it merits.

And it could be something else
Last edited by morriswalters on Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:07 pm UTC

(That sounds like we're heading into Time Cube territory... I don't understand everything Otis Ray said, but it looked like he was talking about some internal understanding.)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:17 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
morriswalters wrote:If it is the equinox here, what is it in Australia?
Also the equinox, though if you call it the spring or fall equinox in the US, it will be the fall or spring equinox, respectively, in Australia.

And when it's the fall equinox in the US, it's the autumnal equinox in the UK.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:19 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:
Umm, no?

The equinox is a place in an orbit. He didn't didn't mention the season. You could have inferred that because it means two different things, at the same time. Ride that point, like, well, you do. Tomorrow it will be a different point, however the equinox will be there waiting until you get there.. Randall's Rule, what you see, isn't what is there. Axial tilt causes the equinox. I see everything he is saying, I just don't have referents, without diving deeper than it merits.

And it could be something else

No, axial tilt prevents the equinox, except for two occasions in the year.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:36 am UTC

GlassHouses wrote:No, axial tilt prevents the equinox, except for two occasions in the year.
Complements rule. Your prevent is my causes.
Soupspoon wrote:(That sounds like we're heading into Time Cube territory... I don't understand everything Otis Ray said, but it looked like he was talking about some internal understanding.)
I thought it was a clock. When that little plane touches the big plane it tolls a bell. Goes off automatically every 2 months. Did Otis Ray say something?

edit

Here's another interpretation, he showed you the path the eclipse will follow. He showed you the first place that will see it start. He told you what you will see depending on where you're looking from. And the place where it will end. As a bonus he showed you every place that can see an eclipse, period. And what they can see. And he told you why they happen. It doesn't need to be in scale, you just need to identify the angles and dangles. I love Randall. :wink:
Last edited by morriswalters on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:15 am UTC

hamjudo wrote:
Flumble wrote:Are the distances and sizes to scale on this diagram?

Not even close to scale. In the real world, the sun and moon are the same size. I know, I've been outside and seen them.

No, they're not. The Moon's the same size as a pea a mile away and the Sun's the size of a hamster ball for children on the other side of the room. They just look the same size because there's a lot of lens flare and the Moon's brighter.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Draconaes

Postby Draconaes » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:07 pm UTC

This thread seems to be heading toward critical sarcasm detection failure territory.

TIL what dimples of Venus are.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:52 pm UTC

Put a moon in that point at that time and you get a total eclipse of the sun on the moon by the earth. The dimples are where the rays from what he calls the hypothecate come out on the surface. The dotted line connected by arctangent to equinox is the point on the orbit where the eclipse will occur relative to the equinox. It's a clock. Then again, maybe not.

svenman

Postby svenman » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:49 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:a total eclipse of the sun on the moon by the earth

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that just a more complicated description of a lunar eclipse? Just with a different standpoint in mind.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may help.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:18 pm UTC

Mi syzygy es su syzygy..!

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:13 pm UTC

svenman wrote:
morriswalters wrote:a total eclipse of the sun on the moon by the earth

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that just a more complicated description of a lunar eclipse? Just with a different standpoint in mind.
I have no idea. The dimples probably serve some purpose only an astronomer would care about. I could care less. Neither do I need the labels.

edit

Turns out I care a little. The clock in the picture may read 6/21/2017.

Or maybe 6/1917 at high noon in in the Pacific?:? Eff the IDL.

From earth, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring
Last edited by morriswalters on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:19 am UTC

Be safe while observing. Fourteen years ago a boy merely imagined seeing the dimples of Venus on Stacy's mom. He still has to wear a wrist brace today.

colonel_hack

Postby colonel_hack » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:51 am UTC

rbgos wrote:The Solstice is the longest and shortest days (21 June and 21 December), the Equinox is when the night and day are equal, in March and September.

The exact day of the month can vary. For example, in 1944 June 6th was the longest day.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:42 am UTC

colonel_hack wrote:
rbgos wrote:The Solstice is the longest and shortest days (21 June and 21 December), the Equinox is when the night and day are equal, in March and September.

The exact day of the month can vary.
Correct...
For example, in 1944 June 6th was the longest day.

*pained groan - then slow hand-clap*

(Then a reminder that every day is 86400 seconds long, except for some June 30ths and December 31sts, which are 86401 seconds, and the longest days for a while, yet.)

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:44 am UTC

Ain't precession a bitch.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:56 pm UTC

Precession is actually a wibbly-wobbly effect of magnetized spheroids. No relation to taxonomy at all, surprisingly.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:18 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:(Then a reminder that every day is 86400 seconds long, except for some June 30ths and December 31sts, which are 86401 seconds, and the longest days for a while, yet.)

And then there are the Sundays each autumn that are 90000 seconds long.

Not where I live, though.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”