1884: "Ringer Volume/Media Volume"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eutychus

1884: "Ringer Volume/Media Volume"

Postby Eutychus » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:09 pm UTC

Title text: Our new video ad campaign has our product's name shouted in the first 500 milliseconds, so we can reach the people in adjacent rooms while the viewer is still turning down the volume.

I content myself with being really, really fast on the "mute" button after the mayhem has started.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Hiferator

Re: 1884: "Ringer Volume/Media Volume"

Postby Hiferator » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:12 pm UTC

I feel Randall's pain; inside my ears. They are still ringing. There should be an option for all media to start on low volume.

@Eutychus: You have a mute button on your phone? I want one!

speising

Postby speising » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:13 pm UTC

so much. although i usually recognise the mistake already after only one tap ...

RandomMarius

Postby RandomMarius » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:15 pm UTC

Is it just me or does it seem that Google engineers just don't care about sane audio controls? A simple mute button would be awesome. And how about disabling volume controls for notifications and ringing and alarms, and only ever do media controls? Really.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:51 pm UTC

GOOMHR!

Except that, on this device, I have the ringer mute because I don't use it for dumbphone-like functions. But still if I click down-volume, prior to media-sounds happening, it just re-floors the ringer and then media audio happens at whatever volume I left it at, unable to be changed while the ringer-volume overlay sits on-screen. I have to wait until it times out (or never invoke it at all), let the media plays too quiet/loud, then volume-adjust for media.

(My secondary device has, at least, the option to tap on a "settings" gear on the volume pop-over, giving me now three different sliders (system, media and ringer?) which I can tap-adjust exactly as I like, in advance, regardless of my current media-audio playing status. If it's even wrong in the first place.)

Also, I rather hate it when my media player (BBC iPlayer radio, frexample) cuts out in the background just because a web-page 'pokes' the possibility of playing sound in the foreground. SFAICT, the silent Flash-ads (or other sidebar inclusions, often on news sites) never play any sound, but they seem to prime the browser to prime the tablet to switch sound-source anyway. Also certain Google searches. This worries me that I'm getting hit for unwanted data (in buffering an embedded video or five, in the results, that will never even get played!), given how I otherwise try to avoid anything with a tendency to have a maybe-autoplaying video insert whilst not on a WLAN, and why I do a lot of off-line listening (or pre-downloaded, even if I'm then back online for other stuff) audio anyway...

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:35 pm UTC

RandomMarius wrote:Is it just me or does it seem that Google engineers just don't care about sane audio controls? A simple mute button would be awesome. And how about disabling volume controls for notifications and ringing and alarms, and only ever do media controls? Really.

Yeah, this. I have, in the past, got all ageist and suggested that Google engineers work on beanbags in noisy open plan offices and go out to rock concerts rather than, say, the opera; consequently it never occurs to them that the ringer volume going up to maximum whilst locked and in somebody's pocket might not be such a fabulous idea. Somehow the volume buttons continue to work even when the screen is locked (but lit up) after several major versions of Android. There's even a whole market for "volume change stopper" apps, because why simply disable something when you can have a sodding app (which is probably at least 100MB) wake up every second to check the volume and set it back where it should be? What part of "locked" don't they sodding understand? </rant>
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:38 pm UTC

On my phone, when there's something with audio in the foreground, the volume controls default to adjusting the 'regular audio' volume rather than the ringer volume. There's also a fold-out button next to the slider that appears on screen to show all volume sliders, so you can still adjust the ringer volume.
But windows phone is dead, so I can't advise Randall (and others with the comic's problem) to switch to the at-least-the-volume-controls-work-like-they-should side.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:47 pm UTC

Does anyone else wish laptops and smartphones had a line-level output independent of any volume setting the way discmans used to have? No? Just me?
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:22 pm UTC

Do you think "Hello, and Welcome To..." is another reference to http://www.zobmo.com ? Previously seen at https://xkcd.com/855/ .

Then again, I suppose Homestar Runner is an equally likely candidate.
http://homestarrunner.com/firsttime.html

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:28 pm UTC

(@Flumble, sounds a lot like my "other device", as described, though that's an Android too…)

somitomi wrote:Does anyone else wish laptops and smartphones had a line-level output independent of any volume setting the way discmans used to have? No? Just me?
I don't know if it's App-specific, but iPlayer Radio seems to do that (or else incorprates the "volume change reverter" function) on this device. I'll sometimes line-out it to record to another device (something close to expiry, when I can't queue it up in my regular schedule) for which I use full "Warning; Damaging to your ears"-notified volume for the benefit of the sound-card input, layer unplug it, use its speakers for something (set at reasonable level, depending upon environment) and maybe even the earphones, all the time the volume changed to suit. Then the next earphones+iPlayer instance, I know that the volume will be 100%.

This may be new behaviour, in-app due to demands from users. I know that over-recommendation volume sound used to revert to no more than the recommended level (ready to warn again, as you tried to increase) if you unplugged and replugged the 3.5mm. Given speech radio is lower intensity than music, I can only imagine the complaints they might have had that some devices' warning threshold were too low and needed to be bypassed every single time the audio configuration changed back to plugging in.

(One behaviour my other device has, that I somewhat wish I could turn off, is that an old pair of earphones will sometimes stop playback and instead invoke the tablet's "theme music" and/or bring up Google's speech-search screen. If the screen is currently locked it will use a (pre-recorded?) synthesised voice to tell me that it can't do <something> until I unlock my screen. And, unlike other audio functions, won't pause when unplugged, but keep telling me this over its internal speaker until I comply with the unlocking (and for at least one full additional cycle, sometimes two, until it shushes). It seems to think I've invoked some earphone-chord remote control. I use bog-standard stereo earplugs. One usefulnthing, though, is that I take this as a cue that the wires are now slightly internally damaged through overuse (seems to trigger something akin to what a button-press would do) and that I need to spend another £2 to £5 on a similarly cheap pair before the sound goes mono/one-eared/variously intermittent in other ways. If I shell out for a £25 set of (otherwise standard) buds, they still wear out in a similar timescale, and bluetooth/etc are a pain with keeping the charge at both ends of the link. If I stockpile some spare cheapo ones around, when seen on sale, it's far less hassle.)

keithl

Postby keithl » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:49 pm UTC

RandomMarius wrote:Is it just me or does it seem that Google engineers just don't care about sane audio controls?

The controls work great for Google's paying customers, the companies that pay to bombard you with advertisements. You (and the hapless people around you) are the product that Google delivers to advertisers, the NSA, and The Basilisk :twisted: .

I had a "smart phone" for a month. It made it much easier to do things I did not want to do, and resisted my attempts to take full control and adapt it to my own goals. I'm back to the occasional use of a flip phone (usually powered off and shielded), and heavy use of Linux laptops with the microphones physically disconnected. Usually CAT5 connected, SSH tunneled, with the wifi turned off.

I'm sure that is a mere speedbump for the clever sociopaths that the NSA employs, but is an incentive to go bother someone else with their huge but finite resources. Which, I presume, are powned by the Chinese spy agencies; why spend trillions duplicating NSA, when surreptitiously tapping their hardware and databases probably costs only a few tens of billions? I'm a chip engineer, it's amazing what you can hide in a "power transistor".

Hello darkness, my old friend ...

YellowYeti

Postby YellowYeti » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:30 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:I don't know if it's App-specific, but iPlayer Radio seems to do that (or else incorprates the "volume change reverter" function) on this device. I'll sometimes line-out it to record to another device

It sounds like you may need to be introduced to get_iplayer?

https://squarepenguin.co.uk

kelly_holden

Postby kelly_holden » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:11 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:(My secondary device has, at least, the option to tap on a "settings" gear on the volume pop-over, giving me now three different sliders (system, media and ringer?) which I can tap-adjust exactly as I like, in advance, regardless of my current media-audio playing status. If it's even wrong in the first place.)

My phone has one of those (ring, media, notifications I think, and alarm). But I wouldn't have the problem in the comic very often anyway because I keep my media volume off by default.

orthogon wrote:Yeah, this. I have, in the past, got all ageist and suggested that Google engineers work on beanbags in noisy open plan offices and go out to rock concerts rather than, say, the opera; consequently it never occurs to them that the ringer volume going up to maximum whilst locked and in somebody's pocket might not be such a fabulous idea. Somehow the volume buttons continue to work even when the screen is locked (but lit up) after several major versions of Android.

I more often find I have the opposite problem: the ringer turning itself down when my phone is in my bag, missing calls (usually from somebody who wants to know where I am right that minute and is getting annoyed at me not answering) because I can't hear the damn thing. When I'm somewhere that the phone ringing too loud would be a problem, I'm usually sitting down and not moving, so the buttons aren't getting pressed.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:41 pm UTC

YellowYeti wrote:It sounds like you may need to be introduced to get_iplayer?

https://squarepenguin.co.uk

I shall certainly bear in mind possibly adding to my arsenal, if I can find a suitable bit of hardware for it amongst all my various bits of random equipment doing other jobs!

Spoiler:
I have a DAB card recording 'live' radio of my choosing on a machine for eventual listening, but I use the Android app for out-and-about stuff that I presume I'll get round to within a month of broadcast, or anything that clashed with something else on DAB. I can copy .mp2 files from the DAB machine to virtually any MP3ish device, for portability, but there's still no easy way to get tabletted stuff anywhere else but stick it across an audio-jumper onto a manually recorded and saved file on the relevent PC (often whilst I sleep, and/or am catching up on the DAB stuff).

Yes, that does sound like a complicatedly large amount of listening. As I tap this message out I'm currently listening to the three hour "Keep On Running" programme from Radio 4 Extra, broadcast 5th August, while travelling and browsing and (right now) typing. That's because the three-hour Saturday programme slot on 4 Extra clashes with two or three half hour programmes on 4 in the morning slot (that I DAB record and try to listen to the same day) and some other programmes in its afternoon repeat slot, so I tend to leave this type of non-topical broadcast for listening to 'eventually', usually while on the go, and sometimes I cut it perlously close to its expiry point, which is three days away in this instance. ;)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:18 pm UTC

kelly_holden wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:(My secondary device has, at least, the option to tap on a "settings" gear on the volume pop-over, giving me now three different sliders (system, media and ringer?) which I can tap-adjust exactly as I like, in advance, regardless of my current media-audio playing status. If it's even wrong in the first place.)

My phone has one of those (ring, media, notifications I think, and alarm). But I wouldn't have the problem in the comic very often anyway because I keep my media volume off by default.

orthogon wrote:Yeah, this. I have, in the past, got all ageist and suggested that Google engineers work on beanbags in noisy open plan offices and go out to rock concerts rather than, say, the opera; consequently it never occurs to them that the ringer volume going up to maximum whilst locked and in somebody's pocket might not be such a fabulous idea. Somehow the volume buttons continue to work even when the screen is locked (but lit up) after several major versions of Android.

I more often find I have the opposite problem: the ringer turning itself down when my phone is in my bag, missing calls (usually from somebody who wants to know where I am right that minute and is getting annoyed at me not answering) because I can't hear the damn thing. When I'm somewhere that the phone ringing too loud would be a problem, I'm usually sitting down and not moving, so the buttons aren't getting pressed.

The "ass-justment" of the volume happens while I'm rushing to get to the concert. It's happened a couple of times - it's almost as if it knows and is trying to cause maximum embarrassment. The other thing that happens is that the torch (flashlight) comes on and drains the battery. I really don't get why anything (except perhaps the emergency dialer) should work when the thing is locked. Nokia nailed this back in the late '90s. For that matter, so did early Android. It just got uninvented, like so many sensible ideas.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:36 pm UTC

Volume controls are unbelievably awful and famously so, so it is impossible that Google is unaware of the issue. But as is typical of their products, they just ultimately think that people will get used to it and it doesn't really matter. Because no, it would not be difficult for them to set up a sensible volume mixer like Windows has. Not only can you not adjust the volume of the channel you want to, but only the ones currently playing, with the old mixer hovering over the screen for far too long, leading to the problem in this comic, but whenever I want to listen to music through headphones or my car stereo, I have to tell my phone that I understand the (nonexistent) dangers to my eardrums. I cannot explain to it that I haven't forgotten since yesterday, and could it please stop asking? Also, Samsung Verizon phones now cannot be jailbroken, so there is no possible way to fix this. (The phone also resists adblockers when on mobile networks, so the problem is literally not soluble due to software limitations they put in.)

I also don't understand why all media have to be mixed into the same audio channel. Most apps do not have their own volume controls (not even the fucking default music player), so if I want to listen to two things at once, they better coincidentally have the exact right mix. Otherwise that is literally not an option. God forbid I want to listen to music while playing a game.

The lack of multitasking in general is very confusing to me. Modern phones have a ton of RAM and up to eight CPU cores; they are more than capable of handling several tasks simultaneously. Yet the operating system just won't. As soon as you switch to another window, the old window is paused.

ericgrau

Postby ericgrau » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:54 am UTC

Oh so it's not just my phone. Yeah I got around this incredibly stupid bug forever by changing my settings to make my volume control only change media volume. Even when media is not playing. My ringer volume never changes nor does it need to. If I want it quiet then I flip the switch to vibrate.

I suppose the developer way to do it would be to add 1 button or a special button tap/screen tap method to let the user manually pick (yes, such as a volume mixer). This has the problem of "Oh me yarm our button budget is limited", "you want us to teach the user a new sequence, oh the complaints!" and "But we have a snazzy-cool way to make the phone detect what the volume is for by having it switch when media is playing" (obviously doesn't work). But these complaints are all dumb and it's obviously worth it because people dedicate half a minute times thousands of incidents = tens of hours of their life to this horrendous bug.

SvenV

Postby SvenV » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:56 pm UTC

In iOS you can set the volume buttons to default to media volume. This was also possible in Android up until KitKat or thereabouts:
https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/36989155

Removing this option and refusing to re-implement it seems kind of ridiculous to me. Many people simply don't want to adjust their ringer volume frequently, particularly on media-focused WiFi-only tablets. On some devices the volume buttons can easily be bumped unintentionally while in a pocket, potentially leading to missed calls.

Oft-mentioned workarounds like Rocker Locker function by playing a silent sound in the background at all times, draining battery and sometimes causing other issues.

The volume drop-down in recent Android versions helps a bit, but there's no good reason to prevent people from choosing their own default.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:58 am UTC

SvenV wrote:The volume drop-down in recent Android versions helps a bit, but there's no good reason to prevent people from choosing their own default.

That comes quite close to what I consider the fundamental problem of smartphones: they are computers for all intents and purposes, but their settings and configuration are nowhere near as flexible as a that of a "full-size" computer. My phone has four physical buttons and only the lock/power button behaves exactly the way I want it to. The volume buttons have the problem shown in the comic while the home button brings up a voice recognition app if I double-click it. That brings be me neatly to the insane amount of bloatware on my phone, that I cannot get rid of without jailbreaking. Because I can't have an root user on a computer that I own.
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:58 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:... That brings be me neatly to the insane amount of bloatware on my phone, that I cannot get rid of without jailbreaking. Because I can't have an root user on a computer that I own.

The simple explanation of this is that, while you may own the phone, you don't own the software. The actual owners of the software have agreed that you shouldn't be permitted to do anything that damages their software. They consider erasure to be a form of "damage", of course, so they block that, too.

The only real solution to this is to get the "intellectual property" laws changed so that mere users have the legal right to remove things from their computers. Good luck trying to get your legislators (wherever you live) to pass such laws.

(I have found that, on my android phone, the OS will let me zero the 'x' bits from a file. So I have prevented some of the worst of the undeletable bloatware from draining the battery, even if I can't free the space that it hogs. ;-)

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:26 pm UTC

jc wrote: The actual owners of the software have agreed that you shouldn't be permitted to do anything that damages their software. They consider erasure to be a form of "damage", of course, so they block that, too.

:shock:
Hold on here for a moment, isn't that like saying I'm not permitted to scratch a Beatles record because Paul McCartney has the copyright of some songs on it?

In all honesty though the thing that really boggles my mind about such decisions is how detached from reality you must be before you don't realise the only change this will make is that users will now resent you in addition to not using your software.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:38 pm UTC

Resent? Nah, that's only us 1%. Most people will accept it and after a while not even be bothered. Moreover, if one doesn't, buying that phone was a bad decision and you can't make bad purchase decisions, now can you? :roll:

I don't know how much truth there is in combating malware by locking down the OS, but I guess it prevents the average user from pressing the 'corrupt my bootloader' button too easily.

hagfish

Postby hagfish » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:25 pm UTC

With my trusty old 4S, I've never regretted plonking my thumb over the speaker grille.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:02 pm UTC

Jailbreaking your phone is not illegal and cannot be illegal. This forces companies that want to lock down your phone to implement software solutions that act as tamper-proof security against the owner, such as a digital fuse that renders a phone unusable if you try to jailbreak it. The purpose, evidently, is that it makes it easier to force you to view ads.

The only real solution is a market-oriented one, but it seems that most users just don't care enough. Personally, I will not buy another Samsung Verizon phone because even though the hardware on this phone is excellent, the software limitations are unacceptable to me. The fact that I cannot even install a decent popup blocker is just too much.

(But note that this is sort of unrelated to my previous post, because even a jailbroken phone cannot fix the basic problem that all media audio channels are mixed together, making it impossible to independently control the volume of apps.)

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:19 pm UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:(But note that this is sort of unrelated to my previous post, because even a jailbroken phone cannot fix the basic problem that all media audio channels are mixed together, making it impossible to independently control the volume of apps.)

It seems you can use pulseaudio, which is of course the awesome audio subsystem(?) (server?) that allows you to route audio from anywhere to anywhere.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:48 pm UTC

I don't think it has an Android port.

There are apps that claim they can do what I want, like this one, but just read the following and see the problem:
Once you get into the utility settings you can set the volume level for each of your installed apps: media, ring, alarm, notification and system volume levels can all be set independently, so you could (for example) mute everything except video sounds when you’re watching Netflix.

App Volume Control works by recognizing when a particular app launches and sets the volume level accordingly, based on the configuration you’ve set.

What I mean is that if I have two apps both playing sounds simultaneously, I would like to be able to individually adjust their volumes locally. Like, if I am listening to music over Bluetooth while using Google Maps, I don't want Maps to shriek at me at 100 decibels, but it's either that or mute it entirely (which is what I actually do). Since all media goes through the same channel, there is simply no fix.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:16 pm UTC

With a sufficiently competent* rebuild of the kernel, increased virtualisation for each app (already somewhat provided for, in the Applicarion Sandbox resource model) could supply independent audio responsiveness. With a default cross-compartmentalised matching of individual responsiveness, but also the ability to de-link per instance (per app or per app-as-run). Whether it would require mixing in code before getting to the dedicated sound hardware, or the sound hardware can accept each as if multiple channels of parallel sound from the same source (5.1 capability should certainly supoort six independent monos, in certain existing versions of the situation, but might need to be a bespoke solution to the manufacturer or even model).

All in theory, that is. Never tried it. ;)

* - 'sufficient' left as an exercise for the implementor.

stilettoblade

Postby stilettoblade » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:01 pm UTC

I HATE how phone makers cannot seem to understand that it would be useful to have *COMPLETELY SEPARATE* volume controls for ringer and everything else. Also, it boggles my mind that my phone can be muted, and a popup ad in my web browser will be allowed to play at full volume. Who the hell (besides the advertiser) thinks that's a good idea?

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:47 pm UTC

stilettoblade wrote:I HATE how phone makers cannot seem to understand that it would be useful to have *COMPLETELY SEPARATE* volume controls for ringer and everything else. Also, it boggles my mind that my phone can be muted, and a popup ad in my web browser will be allowed to play at full volume. Who the hell (besides the advertiser) thinks that's a good idea?

Wait, that can happen? And it isn't a punishable offense? Clearly legislature has failed us...

HES

Postby HES » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:56 pm UTC

stilettoblade wrote:popup ad in my web browser

PSA: Adblock exists for mobile browsers, too
He/Him/His Image

RandomMarius

Postby RandomMarius » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:30 pm UTC

I found this today : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=catchpower.gogo.mediavolumeonly

Simple small app that locks volume to media only. For myself, I hardly need to set the volume of ring and notifications, and when I do it's to mute them. (It requires call status information to know when you are on a call to adjust call volume)

So far it works fine on my Pixel XL (no root needed).

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:32 pm UTC

HES wrote:
stilettoblade wrote:popup ad in my web browser

PSA: Adblock exists for mobile browsers, too

As I pointed out, It doesn't work on Verizon's mobile network unless you can get a rooted version.

Cougar Allen

Postby Cougar Allen » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:12 am UTC

Ad-Block for Android Firefox works without root (though it doesn't block as thoroughly as the Windows version.) Does Verizon have some way to keep that from working?

Cougar Allen

Postby Cougar Allen » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:20 am UTC

RandomMarius wrote:I found this today : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=catchpower.gogo.mediavolumeonly

Simple small app that locks volume to media only.

Thank you! :D

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:43 am UTC

Cougar Allen wrote:Ad-Block for Android Firefox works without root (though it doesn't block as thoroughly as the Windows version.) Does Verizon have some way to keep that from working?

It only works on wifi, not mobile networks.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:59 am UTC

It's just a Firefox add-on; it doesn't care how you connect.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:17 am UTC

Thesh wrote:It's just a Firefox add-on; it doesn't care how you connect.

I don't know what to tell you. Even the ABP browser won't block ads for me on mobile. This is the explanation I was given.

If anybody has a Note 5 and a Verizon carrier and can successfully block ads on the mobile network, I'm all ears.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:54 am UTC

I don't know what black magic Verizon are using, or why they care about other people's ads.
He/Him/His Image

speising

Postby speising » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:57 am UTC

they *could* be re-writing the url's, i suppose, as long as it's not https.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”