1885: "Ensemble Model"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

thunk

1885: "Ensemble Model"

Postby thunk » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:48 pm UTC

Title text: I'm in talks with Netflix to produce an alternate-universe crime drama about the world where sliced bread was never re-legalized, but it's going slowly because they keep changing their phone numbers and the door lock codes at their headquarters.

I guess they also twerk the velocity of money in the EPS ensemble members. I mean the improved performance can't all just be from polar-orbiting satellites.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

pogrmman

Re: 1885: "Ensemble Model"

Postby pogrmman » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:22 pm UTC

I guess Randall has been following Irma recently.

I, personally, like seeing how the EPS differs from the operational Euro run. It's pretty neat how divergent they can sometimes be, but other times, it can be scary to see how consistent they can be with one another.

I'm still stunned that our forecasting models are able to do as well as they are -- considering how many different variables there are to simulating the weather.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:44 pm UTC

True fact: snakes actually are wide, not long. They just seem long because they move sideways, like crabs. And they have eyes on the side, like those flatfish. And a mouth on the side, like ... whatever. Zoology isn't really my field.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

pompomjoe

Postby pompomjoe » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:59 pm UTC

Hmm, I guess it's my turn for a "Get Out of My Head, Randall", as I'm currently binge (re)watching Sliders... the downside is that it makes me feel old...

But luckily the weather people don't use the same tweaaking algorithm as there would be a 50% chance of Cromags invasion everyday.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:59 pm UTC

I'd like to see the show about sliced bread.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:23 pm UTC

...Kanye West becomes president
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Beatrice wrote:The world is quiet here.

Tillian wrote:sig'd

tms

Postby tms » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:31 pm UTC

ITTM "in walks" (..the bread guy: AAAAAAA)
- No, son. I said 'duck'.
- Duck duck duck duck! Duck duck duck duck!

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:55 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:Zoology isn't really my field.
It was only when I took employment as a scarecrow that I realised I had found a profession in which I could be truly out-standing in my field.

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:36 pm UTC

Is the title of the crime drama "Slicing Bad"?

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:41 pm UTC

Good work, Randall, dodging any reference to Chaos Butterfly.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:15 pm UTC

Gosh.... am I really the first to suggest that "ensemble model" means a tall beautiful woman wearing a skirt, blouse, vest, pearl necklace, tennis bracelet, Manolo Blahnik spike heels and a Gucci handbag?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:02 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
orthogon wrote:Zoology isn't really my field.
It was only when I took employment as a scarecrow that I realised I had found a profession in which I could be truly out-standing in my field.

I had a job in an orange juice factory for a while, but I got fired because I couldn't concentrate.

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:56 pm UTC

And I worked as a gold prospector one summer, but it just didn't pan out.

measure

Postby measure » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:10 pm UTC

qvxb wrote:Is the title of the crime drama "Slicing Bad"?

"Breaking Bread"

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:57 pm UTC

Heimhenge wrote:And I worked as a gold prospector one summer, but it just didn't pan out.

I got fired from the calendar factory. I don't get it - all I did was take a day off.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:21 pm UTC

Znirk wrote:
Heimhenge wrote:And I worked as a gold prospector one summer, but it just didn't pan out.

I got fired from the calendar factory. I don't get it - all I did was take a day off.

That reminds me: I once saw A Spike Milligan "15 month calendar". I so wanted it to have "Blimbuary", Thinnnnntember" and "Glimch" or something. Boringly, it just covered 15 ordinary months. Spike would have been disappointed.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:27 pm UTC

You don't want to know about the disastrous time I was in charge of a twenty-piece orchestra. Needless to say, I was fired for gross misconduct.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:32 pm UTC

Lousy Smarch weather...
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

9squirrels

Postby 9squirrels » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:21 pm UTC

Wow! TIL that sliced bread was once banned in the US...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_br ... iced_bread

iabervon

Postby iabervon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:24 am UTC

I think Netflix should have a series about meteorologists from alternate universes, with an ensemble cast. That is, all of the principal actors are playing the same character, with slight variations to initial conditions.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:46 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:You don't want to know about the disastrous time I was in charge of a twenty-piece orchestra. Needless to say, I was fired for gross misconduct.

Wouldn't that be a 144-piece orchestra?

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:54 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:Gosh.... am I really the first to suggest that "ensemble model" means a tall beautiful woman wearing a skirt, blouse, vest, pearl necklace, tennis bracelet, Manolo Blahnik spike heels and a Gucci handbag?

I thought it was a small-ish collection of classical MIDI instruments.

9squirrels wrote:Wow! TIL that sliced bread was once banned in the US...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_br ... iced_bread

And thus there was a moment, on March 8, 1943, when sliced bread was the best thing since sliced bread.

Soupspoon

Re: 1885: "Ensemble Model"h

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:47 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:You don't want to know about the disastrous time I was in charge of a twenty-piece orchestra. Needless to say, I was fired for gross misconduct.

Wouldn't that be a 144-piece orchestra?

That was how disastrous my tenure was!
(That and changing my punchline without apparently changing my setup. But the original "score" pun was truly awful.)

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:14 pm UTC

8 Internets for whoever can make a decent "Twenty piece orchestra" - "score" pun. Long terrible pun spoilered:
Spoiler:
There once was a very violent man who was a conductor. One day one a the cellists kept screwing up, and so the conductor flew into a rage an killed him.

He was sentenced to death by electrocution. As his last meal he chose to eat a few bunches of bananas.

When his time came, the chair was turned on and he was completely unaffected.

The conductor managed to get another job, until he flew into a rage and beat a drummer to death.

Again, the electric chair; again, bananas; again, nothing happened to him.

Miraculously, he got another conducting job. One agin, he killed one of his musicians when she kept screwing up.

Death sentence; bananas; survival.

The executioner (her professional pride hurting), finally asked "what's with the bananas?"

The condemned replied "Oh, the bananas have nothing to do with it; I"m just a lousy conductor."
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

dtobias

Postby dtobias » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:21 pm UTC

There actually is a sense in which stuff like what oddball things are banned in what places is a "chaos-theory" thing like weather patterns. Over time, all sorts of weird moral panics spring up, and quasi-utopian schemes to better humanity by ridding it of something that the would-be reformer in question happens to dislike, thinking it immoral or decadent or wasteful or something. So a movement gets going to ban comic books, or pinball machines, or dancing, or sliced bread. Most go nowhere, but occasionally some publicity-hungry politician grabs onto one of them and pushes it through. Then most of the bans collapse after the public overwhelmingly hates them (e.g., Prohibition), or fizzle out as people gradually forget why anybody found whatever it is to be objectionable in the first place. But a few of them manage to gain some entrenched interest that fights tooth-and-nail against any liberalization, which can keep the ban going for decades (e.g., the War On Drugs). All of these factors are sufficiently random and chaotic that one could imagine all sorts of alternate universes where all sorts of commonplace things are illegal (and where things that are illegal here are legal).

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:00 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:8 Internets for whoever can make a decent "Twenty piece orchestra" - "score" pun.

Emma, the violist, had warned us against hiring the new conductor. He has trouble reading music, she said. But the tryout rehearsal went so well! And since Emma was still off sick with tendonitis at the time, the remaining 19 of us had made the decision unanimously and offered him the post anyway. He was really great the first few weeks - until Emma returned. Then he just fell apart, trembling and dropping his baton, nervously glancing at the ensemble, and mumbling something about 20 being just too many.

"Told ya", said Emma. "He can't handle a full score."

The Devils Engineer

Postby The Devils Engineer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:01 am UTC

...sliced bread never being re-legalized is the 8th sign of the Apocalypse....... just saying.....
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.”
“The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.”

― Mark Twain

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:37 pm UTC

dtobias wrote:There actually is a sense in which stuff like what oddball things are banned in what places is a "chaos-theory" thing like weather patterns.{snip} All of these factors are sufficiently random and chaotic that one could imagine all sorts of alternate universes where all sorts of commonplace things are illegal (and where things that are illegal here are legal).

Ummm, Erewhon ?

Meanwhile, trying and failing to combine "score," "20-piece orchestra" with 5 Easy Pieces. Didn't score with the other 15.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:22 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:And thus there was a moment, on March 8, 1943, when sliced bread was the best thing since sliced bread.

Not necessarily. Something better than sliced bread might have been invented or discovered in the intervening month or so. I'm having difficulty finding specific enough dates, but the Colossus, the world's first electronic computer, was started around that time. The Slinky missed out by just three days, so was surely unquestionably the best thing since the reintroduction of sliced bread.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”