1899: "Ears"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eutychus

1899: "Ears"

Postby Eutychus » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:50 am UTC

Title text: "My theory is that most humans have been colonized with alien mind-control slugs that hold the earbuds for them, and the ones who can't wear earbuds are the only surviving free ones."

Definitely a GOOMHR moment. Or at least a GYLOSOOMER (Get Your Lack of Slugs Out Of My Ears Randall) moment.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Re: 1899: "Ears"

Postby flicky1991 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:57 am UTC

Friends, lend me your ears. There is a study I wish to perform.
any pronouns
----
Discord for Forum Games posters
(Please let me know if the link doesn't work)

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:05 pm UTC

No, but I often find myself wondering why I seem to be the only person on earth who gets ear infections if I wear headphones.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:23 pm UTC

I thought it was that the slugs pushed the earbuds out?

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:43 pm UTC

A healthy application of superglue (cyanoacrylate ester) will solve the falling-out problem.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

JDGA

Postby JDGA » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:23 pm UTC

Oh Animorphs... Hardest I've laughed at an xkcd in a while.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:33 pm UTC

Human ears are a maze of twisty passages, all alike except for yours.

tempest69

Postby tempest69 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:51 pm UTC

Ok, now I need to get me some mind control slugs.. I don't care about the narrated side effects -- Call your dominator if you feel free more than four minutes --

CelticNot

Postby CelticNot » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:58 pm UTC

I can use earbuds, but only for about five minutes before they HURT LIKE DUCKING HELL because the only way they'll stay in is to shove them too deep for comfort.
This sig for rent. Rates negotiable.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:43 pm UTC

CelticNot wrote:I can use earbuds, but only for about five minutes before they HURT LIKE DUCKING HELL because the only way they'll stay in is to shove them too deep for comfort.
You shove them in beyond the first flap/corner within your ear? :o

Showsni

Postby Showsni » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:01 pm UTC

He's onto us! Contact Visser Three and have the all out invasion date brought forwards.

Aiwendil

Postby Aiwendil » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:06 pm UTC

I thought I was the only one!

The thing that astonishes me is when I see people running with earbuds in. I mean, I can keep them in for a few minutes, if I concentrate the whole time on holding perfectly still.

Reka

Postby Reka » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:02 pm UTC

Definitely GOOMHR.

Also, shoulder straps on purses. Do those actually work for people? I mean, without having to continually shrug the shoulder in question?

Monster_user

Postby Monster_user » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:38 pm UTC

Ear Buds, or Ear Phones?

Ear Buds on the ones with different sized rubber ends, which seem designed to fit snugly into the ear canal, slightly.

Ear Phones are similar, but they sit just outside the ear canal, usually wedged between the "Tragus" and "Antitragus".

Ear Phones don't stay in my ears when running, but are less irritating.

Ear Buds stay in my ear, and block out sound from outside, making it easier to hear what is coming through the ear buds. However, I'm usually worried about ear infections so I don't wear them often. Never had an ear infection, and never want to.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:07 pm UTC

I'm wearing buds right now. Listening to another device's audio, as I read this one's (about the only multitasking I'm capable of, but I'm very good at keeping spoken word and written word interactions separate yet simultaneous).

All buds I have ever bought have three different sizes of rubber 'grommit', one pair fitted, two more pairs (slightly larger and slightly smaller) there for replacement, if necessary, if I need more or less packing. I usually manage with the mid-range ones, though may switch if I've been careless and managed to pop a mid-grommit out while dragging the cable out of the bottom of a bag and ended up losing it.

There's some earphones (hard ones, as described above) called 'gells'/'gels' (I think that's a brand) which I once bought under the impression they were flexible in-ear plugs, but turned out to be the unyielding tragal-fitting things. They just don't survive any nudging, any careless head movement or the slightest tension on the wire(s). Perhaps if they were a bit flexible (and gel-like in their outer housing), they'd even use a bit of stiction, but I now avoid that sort. Not worth my wasting money on.

Also, I can wear in-ear buds beneath full-ear headphones (slightly dulled by the buds, but volumes adjusted accordingly) when I want to monitor two sound-sources (typically game music/sounds as one, talk radio as another). I suppose the tragal ones would also hold in easier, but I can't rely on that effect alone justifying my making use of them.

(Next question: Why can't I get L-shaped plugs, at the other end, as much as I want to? Apart from anything else, the barrel of thr straight 3.5mm plugs tend to catch on clothing, when in a pocket and I'm walking, and ratchett the end round to introduce a twist and eventually a doubling-up twist on the cable, but with an L-shaped end I can stop it doing that. Also, the cable survives being bent round a corner if it is already a corner, so it doesn't break internally.)

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:21 pm UTC

Earbuds are the work of Satan.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:22 pm UTC

"Ear Bud", a great film comedy.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:32 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:No, but I often find myself wondering why I seem to be the only person on earth who gets ear infections if I wear headphones.

Surely you mean earphones.
...or you're using headphones wrong.

Soupspoon wrote:(Next question: Why can't I get L-shaped plugs, at the other end, as much as I want to? Apart from anything else, the barrel of thr straight 3.5mm plugs tend to catch on clothing, when in a pocket and I'm walking, and ratchett the end round to introduce a twist and eventually a doubling-up twist on the cable, but with an L-shaped end I can stop it doing that. Also, the cable survives being bent round a corner if it is already a corner, so it doesn't break internally.)

What's weird is that there was a time when angled connectors were the norm and the Iphone headphones were weird for having straight plugs.
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

dash

Postby dash » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:40 pm UTC

Lots of couple comics, but weren't there kids?
If my wife were a D&D character she'd be all 10's

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:37 pm UTC

Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Quercus wrote:Agreed, but "constitutional fetishism" doesn't have that lovely alliteration between fetishism, first and fucking
rath358 wrote:I have been replaced D:

Ranbot

Postby Ranbot » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:26 pm UTC

Motorola S9/S10/S11 model bluetooth headphones are the solution to earbuds. I've owned the S9 model for years and they are awesome for running, yard work, weight-lifting, or just sitting around. They are basically earbuds on a flexible [but sturdy] C-shaped band that wraps around the back of your head/neck to hold them securely in your ears without wires to catch on anything.

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:42 pm UTC

The solution is to have normal ears! :D

Seriously, I've never had a problem with earbuds, and didn't even realize this was a problem for some people. On the other hand, I did once own a pair which came with hooks that wrap around behind the ear. I suppose I could have deduced the existence of a problem from the existence of a solution...

Anyway, I guess I'd be willing to provide photographs of my ears for the truly curious. Just in case you really do want to know what they're shaped like. Warning, I'm not as young as I used to be, so hair may be involved...
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:49 pm UTC

Got some such bluetooth things (and had a hard-linked folding pair of ear-hooked ones (ninjaed on this subject!) with an older MP3 player, sort of like spectacles to be worn backwards and with extra hinges on the 'nose' bridge). The biggest problem is the power. Both keeping the 'phones charged and the increased drain on the device that's talking to them.

As with many such things, I've decided that wired is better than wireless, and accept the physical wear and tear as unavoidable.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:02 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:
da Doctah wrote:No, but I often find myself wondering why I seem to be the only person on earth who gets ear infections if I wear headphones.

According to my doctor, they're both "occlusive".

Solra Bizna

Postby Solra Bizna » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:41 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:(Next question: Why can't I get L-shaped plugs, at the other end, as much as I want to? Apart from anything else, the barrel of thr straight 3.5mm plugs tend to catch on clothing, when in a pocket and I'm walking, and ratchett the end round to introduce a twist and eventually a doubling-up twist on the cable, but with an L-shaped end I can stop it doing that. Also, the cable survives being bent round a corner if it is already a corner, so it doesn't break internally.)

I bought one of these a while ago and haven't regretted it since. (It's pretty pricey for what it is, but it works.) I have a similar L-adapter for my laptop power cable as well.

And, since I'm already posting... earbuds won't stay in even for a few seconds for me. And they always sound awful, possibly because they have to "seal in" in order to operate as intended. I look silly walking around outside with studio headphones on, but by gum, they work for me!

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:03 am UTC

Doesn't stop the straight barrel of the unadapted part of the cable ratcheting round, this time from movement perpendicular to the one that causes the un-adapted ratchets.

Does solve the flex-failure problem (where there's sideways pressure upon it), although a cheap trick I've seen mentioned a lot is to get the spring from a clicky ball-point, put that onto the wire and force one end over the barrel, to gradual counter-force to thr bend and ensure it more gracefully curves (the best barrel fittings have flexible sheathes that do similar, but it's always possible to add extra protection of that sort, to slightly extend the life even further).

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:24 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:
somitomi wrote:

According to my doctor, they're both "occlusive".

Sorry, carry on wondering then. I thought it was related to placing dirty bits of plastic in your ear.
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:33 pm UTC

I've never tried earbuds. Nothing I own came with a pair, and I've heard they're bad for your hearing, so I've never bothered to spend money getting any when I can just buy headphones instead.

No, my problem is the exact opposite: Those "over the ear" headphones with the huge cups. I can't wear them for more than a few minutes at a time without my ears getting uncomfortable. I must radiate way more heat out of my ears than normal people, because I have similar problems with going outside in the cold—with or without an ear-covering cap/hood—and being in a hot shower. So I keep buying that flat-padded kind that are harder to find at any decent quality/price ratio. I must also secrete some kind of acid from my ears, because I wear out the pads way too quickly.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Pgood

Postby Pgood » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:27 pm UTC

"My theory is that most humans have been colonized with alien mind-control slugs that hold the earbuds for them, and the ones who can't wear earbuds are the only surviving free ones."

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:53 am UTC

I've got to agree with rmsgrey - it makes much more sense that the mind control slugs are what make your earbuds fall out, because you don't have enough room to push them in properly.

Perhaps coincidentally, I don't have much of a problem with earbuds falling out - except for situations like now, where I've lost the average-size cups and am using the slightly-too-big ones until I can be bothered getting a new set. Even then, they don't fall out, they just come slightly loose so that I get a lower volume and less noise insulation than normal.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:46 am UTC

To me it makes more sense that a slug likes to hold on to the earbud to protect itself from the environment.
But then that's what the slugs inside my ears would want me to think.

There's probably just multiple types of slugs. Maybe they're male and female. To anyone with a partner: do they have earbuds fall out while yours stay in or vice versa?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:18 pm UTC

I have occasionally gotten outer-ear infections after binging a new game for many hours several days in a row. Luckily where I live now I have space for my computer to be set up in my bedroom, so I just use speakers most of the time.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”