1916: "Temperature Preferences"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TV4Fun

1916: "Temperature Preferences"

Postby TV4Fun » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:21 am UTC

Title text: There's a supposed Mark Twain quote, "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." It isn't really by Mark Twain, but I don't know who said it—I just know they've never been to McMurdo Station.

Why isn't Phoenix on this list? Probably too far to the right. How about anywhere in Alaska?
$_[0] wrote:rule 2:
Once a relationship ends, physical access to all relevant machinery is denied.

rhomboidal

Re: 1916: "Temperature Preferences"

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:37 am UTC

I hate lukewarm. With a white-hot hate.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:05 am UTC

No fair conflating hot with humid. Your east coast bias is showing. Coastal semi-arid/dry-subhumid climates (aridity index around 0.5) where it's usually warm and sunny with cool breezes are the only good places to live.

...wait, I mean, noooo, California is a terrible place to live, go the fuck away and let those of us who were born here afford to live here without you rich fucks raising our housing prices and crowding the locals out...
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:35 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:No fair conflating hot with humid. Your east coast bias is showing. Coastal semi-arid/dry-subhumid climates (aridity index around 0.5) where it's usually warm and sunny with cool breezes are the only good places to live.

What are you talking about? Humidity makes the weather feel hotter. How could you not associate it with heat? It's like saying "no fair conflating windy with chilly."

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:39 am UTC

You are correct that humidity makes heat feel hotter (and wind makes cold feel colder), but my point is that it's possible to like heat when it's dry (or wind when it's warm), but absolutely hate humid heat (or cold wind). As it happens I like it hot and dry (and slightly breezy), so I would not like any of the places listed as "hot and humid", but I do like it hot so long as it's not humid, so... where on that chart is my preference?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Justin Lardinois

Postby Justin Lardinois » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:58 am UTC

Having spent a fair amount of time in San Francisco in the summer, I can attest to the truth of that (supposed) Mark Twain quote.

Is weather not correlating with the season something that happens in all coastal areas, or is it specific to northern California? You can have fog and rain one day and bright sun the next in any month of the year here.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:03 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:so... where on that chart is my preference?

It's a subset of the right side of the chart, of course. I'd agree the chart is wrong in stating "temperature preferences" in the subtitle while having "heat index" on the horizontal axis (and possibly the vertical axis too), but heat index is a reasonable axis. And in either case my preferences for cold nights and lack of a rain season are invisible.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:26 am UTC

Justin Lardinois wrote:Is weather not correlating with the season something that happens in all coastal areas, or is it specific to northern California? You can have fog and rain one day and bright sun the next in any month of the year here.

Inland continental regions have more pronounced seasons, from our point of view.

From a Colorado point of view, all of England is low-lying and coastal. We occasionally have reminders of how small we are:
Call it two weeks and take some extra days to enjoy the Lakes, see York, hang around the ruins of Whitby Abbey like some sort of goth or whatever ...
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

herbstschweigen

Postby herbstschweigen » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:58 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:... my point is that it's possible to like heat when it's dry (or wind when it's warm), but absolutely hate humid heat (or cold wind).

Or humid cold. Or hot wind. I also don't get the choice of axes. Average Humidity vs. Yearly Tempature Amplitude would make a better choice IMHO.

Apart from that, I really don't like heat. I live near Frankfurt, Germany, so about halfway between Berlin and Geneva (on the chart as well as in the real world). Winters are just wet, murky and slightly chilly and summers are way too hot and humid here. I like Edinburgh, and even more the north of Scotland. And Reykjavik, though I have only been there in winter. But that was nice. Not as cold as one would expect. Definitely not off the chart.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:59 am UTC

I have a hard time seeing Kiev in the bottom left-hand circle. Summer temperatures there get into the 30s (°C) regularly, even if it perhaps isn't very humid.

And Rejkavik can be warm enough in summer to have plenty of people swimming in the sea (not just the Blue Lagoon)
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:12 pm UTC

Thanks, but I prefer chocolate.

Or, “Here lies W. C. Fields. I would rather be living in Philadelphia.”
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:22 pm UTC

If you don't want to be leisurely, try instead for a record!
The Pembroke to Great Yarmouth side-to-side is longer than the pinch-point of the C2C but flatter (especially at the end). At the right time of year, you can (try to) do it entirely within a single span of daylight!

(Then you're in Great Yarmouth, which is a questionable achievement; and no longer in Pembrokeshire, ditto.)

KarenRei

Postby KarenRei » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:17 pm UTC

Reykjavík calling! And yes, while our winters aren't that cold (though very windy and wet!), our summers are wonderful. Average daily high in July is something like 15-16°C (or, for Americans: 15-16°C also; come on, learn metric you guys...)

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:41 pm UTC

I'm assuming that Halifax refers to the one in Nova Scotia rather than the one in the People's Republic of Yorkshire. We're not that much colder than that there London up 'ere.
Attoc dna Sublab evol eht teews secoiv fo eht slrug
pronouns: he/him/his

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:53 pm UTC

markfiend wrote:I'm assuming that Halifax refers to the one in Nova Scotia rather than the one in the People's Republic of Yorkshire. We're not that much colder than that there London up 'ere.

Yet ~9° more North than the counterfeit1… So hopefully the Gulf Stream keeps on keeping on!

1 And the comparatively balmy old Jersey is roughly as much more north of the newer Halifax as New Jersey is south of it. Food for thought.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:13 pm UTC

KarenRei wrote:Reykjavík calling! And yes, while our winters aren't that cold (though very windy and wet!), our summers are wonderful. Average daily high in July is something like 15-16°C (or, for Americans: 15-16°C also; come on, learn metric you guys...)

Well.... I know that 15 C is approximately 288 K, but can you report it in original S (entropy) number of available energy states?
[and how the heck do I specify the image size to be displayed?]

tempparticlestat.JPG
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:27 pm UTC

markfiend wrote:I'm assuming that Halifax refers to the one in Nova Scotia rather than the one in the People's Republic of Yorkshire. We're not that much colder than that there London up 'ere.

Bradford, Yorkshire, is not listed.

It's titled "where to live" so of course Bradford, Yorkshire, is not listed.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:28 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:

Bradford, Yorkshire, is not listed.

It's titled "where to live" so of course Bradford, Yorkshire, is not listed.

:lol: No argument from me there :mrgreen:
Attoc dna Sublab evol eht teews secoiv fo eht slrug
pronouns: he/him/his

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:48 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
Sableagle wrote:The route is 190 miles long, which works out at an average of 14.5 miles per day.

If you don't want to be leisurely, try instead for a record!

That's a footpath.
There's a C2C cycle route as well, but it has to go around, not over, the most interesting bits.

Well, legally, it has to. Someone may be crazy enough.

Actually, many people are crazy enough.

Spoiler:
Looking back up the footpath:
Looking down the very next bit of footpath:
People have cycled down that, and people do this:
... with a less-than-100% success rate:
Yes, many people are crazy enough.

Hiking it in one week wouldn't be completely insane, but it'd hurt. Some nut'll probably make it in three days, followed by every nut with a pair of fell-running shoes, a water bottle and something to prove coming looking for him good conditions to do it in two.

In 1991, the route was run in 39 hours 36 minutes and 52 seconds by Mike Hartley, setting a new record; this beat the previous record set in 1985 by Mike Cudahy, who completed it in 46 hours 49 minutes. Oh. Never mind then.

The Snide Sniper

Postby The Snide Sniper » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:52 pm UTC

Wonder how long this took to make. That's a lot of cities.
Also known as "RamenChef" on various other fora.
Squirrel sniper avatar by EoM
Me on: Drawception | Explain xkcd | NationStates | The Sluggite Zone | Stack Overflow

Jaywalk3r

Postby Jaywalk3r » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:56 pm UTC

Regarding the mouseover, I seem to recall first seeing that quote while reading Following the Equator, by Mark Twain, an autobiographical account of a world lecture tour that he kicked off from San Francisco, IIRC. I'm pretty sure it's a paraphrase of a genuine Twain quote.

Pied typer

Postby Pied typer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:43 pm UTC

I was mildly surprised to see Minneapolis on the right half of the chart, until I remembered that we regularly have summer days in the 90s. Jokes about how cold Minnesota is basically only apply to northern cities on Lake Superior.
Hey, is my flairTM small enough for here?
Also, go here:
http://stackoverflow.com/q/11227809/6388243

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:52 pm UTC

Pied typer wrote:I was mildly surprised to see Minneapolis on the right half of the chart, until I remembered that we regularly have summer days in the 90s.

For some reason my brain interpreted this to mean that during summer, your city regularly goes back in time a couple of decades.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:42 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:For some reason my brain interpreted this to mean that during summer, your city regularly goes back in time a couple of decades.
We mentioned Bradford, already…

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:57 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:
Pied typer wrote:I was mildly surprised to see Minneapolis on the right half of the chart, until I remembered that we regularly have summer days in the 90s.

For some reason my brain interpreted this to mean that during summer, your city regularly goes back in time a couple of decades.

I see you've been to Our Fair City.
A childhood spent walking while reading books has prepared me unexpectedly well for today's world.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:18 pm UTC

Quito must be way up in the mountains or something, considering it's the capital of a country literally named after its equatorial location.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Felderburg

Postby Felderburg » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:31 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:You are correct that humidity makes heat feel hotter (and wind makes cold feel colder), but my point is that it's possible to like heat when it's dry (or wind when it's warm), but absolutely hate humid heat (or cold wind). As it happens I like it hot and dry (and slightly breezy), so I would not like any of the places listed as "hot and humid", but I do like it hot so long as it's not humid, so... where on that chart is my preference?

I 100% agree, and came here looking for this.

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:35 pm UTC

Justin Lardinois wrote:Having spent a fair amount of time in San Francisco in the summer, I can attest to the truth of that (supposed) Mark Twain quote.

Is weather not correlating with the season something that happens in all coastal areas, or is it specific to northern California? You can have fog and rain one day and bright sun the next in any month of the year here.

Not just coasts, either. In northern Texas and most of Oklahoma, the weather'll do pretty much anything it sees fit, with only the barest lip-service to the current time of year. 84 deg F on Decmber 26th? Sure, sounds fun. Actual blizzard in June? It's been a while, but hey, why not? While we're at it, let's a throw a tornado in January, just for kicks.
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:50 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:Quito must be way up in the mountains or something, considering it's the capital of a country literally named after its equatorial location.

Indeed: "…it is the highest official capital city in the world and the one which is closest to the equator."

(A useful site for a space-elevator ground-station, in fact. If we solve a few sociopolitical issues alongside the engineering ones.)

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:50 pm UTC

Pied typer wrote:I was mildly surprised to see Minneapolis on the right half of the chart, until I remembered that we regularly have summer days in the 90s. Jokes about how cold Minnesota is basically only apply to northern cities on Lake Superior.

Being right on Lake Superior (i.e. Duluth, which is on the chart) moderates the temperature a bit, just like being right on the ocean. So places further inland wind up being both hotter in the summer and colder in the winter.

Embarrass, MN, is the spot that gets press for being cold. From wikipedia: "The unofficial low temperature is −64 °F (−53 °C), which was reached in February 1996. The thermometer that measured this temperature was verified for accuracy by Taylor Environmental Instruments, but as it was not recorded at a National Weather Service Cooperative Site, it will remain unofficial." The official lowest low was 12 miles off, in Tower, at a balmy -60F.

And that -64F (-53C) record low comes with a +96F (36C) record high. Nice town, otherwise!

Statewide, officially, the highest temp was 114 and highest heat index was 134; lowest temp was -60 and lowest windchill was -100.

Thunderstorms, hail, tornadoes, wildfires, blizzards, floods (the ND/MN border is the Red River of the North, which flows NORTH to Hudson Bay... so it floods pretty much every spring since the thaw starts in the south and works its way north, and ice dams back up the river behind them as it tries to flow north through still-frozen areas. The land there being ruler-flat, with a slope of about 1/5000 moving away from the river, certainly doesn't help).

No hurricanes or earthquakes, though.

Minnesotans are tough. Or dumb. Both, really.

How did anyone get tricked into living here in the first place? Anecdotally, by telling new immigrants that it lies at the same latitudes as places like Venice and Paris...

golden.number

Postby golden.number » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:29 pm UTC

rhomboidal wrote:I hate lukewarm. With a white-hot hate.

I live in a city that is basically smack dab in the middle of the chart ;-) It's not really lukewarm. Just very mild year round. Though we do get 2 months out of the year when the temperature gets up into the 80s and 90s. Those are the worst months of the year. Fortunately the temperature hovers around 55-70 for the majority of the year.

keithl

Postby keithl » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:02 pm UTC

The Moon should be on this chart; equatorial surface temperatures range from 127C to -173C over the one month "day". On the chart, way beyond the lower right, somewhere near the middle button of your right-hand-side mouse.
Fortunately for visitors, it is a very dry heat, with no snowstorms or hurricanes, and lovely Earthshine on the nearside to light up those romantic 354 hour nights. No candle-lit dinners on the veranda, though, and your wine will boil away.
Last edited by keithl on Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

cryptoengineer

Postby cryptoengineer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:06 pm UTC

This needs a humidity access.

Post it as a stereo pair.

teelo

Postby teelo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:26 pm UTC

Woah woah woah. Wellington doesn't have cold winters? Did someone forget to tell the climate around where I live?

keithl

Postby keithl » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:53 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote: ... Minnesotans are tough. Or dumb. Both, really.
How did anyone get tricked into living here in the first place? Anecdotally, by telling new immigrants that it lies at the same latitudes as places like Venice and Paris...

Two of my great-grandparents were "probably" imported from Finland to Wyoming via Canada and Minnesota. No emigration or immigration records; they were probably smuggled in illegally to a US territory with zero record keeping. My great grandfather William Longi was a coal miner working in the Union Pacific mines in Carbon County, and narrowly avoided incineration in the 1903 Hanna Mine explosion, which killed 5 Longi relatives.

Immigrants through Ellis Island were required to undergo a medical inspection, and their steamship tickets included the cost of hospitalization or a return home if they had a communicable disease. My guess is that the Union Pacific imported impoverished Finns from the Ostrobothnia region in cargo steamships to Canadian cargo ports, then freight cars from disembarkation to Wyoming, to avoid Ellis Island expenses and government inspections. U.P. may have left the sick in Minnesota after exiting Canada. Mining companies in Minnesota may have imported workers the same way.

Compared to guaranteed starvation and political oppression of suomenruotsalaiset (Finland Swedes), mining company recruiters promised a much better life in the US. The miners who survived did OK, and in a few years saved enough money to bring brides over from Finland the same way.

White wetbacks. They were treated much better than African slaves, a little worse than 20th century Hispanics. Today, their descendants have the luxury of nattering forever on webcomic forums, in places with "boring" wet weather like Portland Oregon.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:07 pm UTC

teelo wrote:Woah woah woah. Wellington doesn't have cold winters? Did someone forget to tell the climate around where I live?
Which Wellington, though? NZ one comes most to mind, for global prominence, but there's Aussie representations, a dozen or more each in US and Canada, and elsewhere. I'm not sure which one Randall meant, with no (United) State Capital obvious in there.

(We're not even under-Wellingtoned here in the Old Country, and doubtless the success and fame of Wellesley probably inspired a number of the copies globally, but the more general prior English diaspora may have done at least as much as the Irish duke.)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:27 pm UTC

Jaywalk3r wrote:Regarding the mouseover, I seem to recall first seeing that quote while reading Following the Equator, by Mark Twain, an autobiographical account of a world lecture tour that he kicked off from San Francisco, IIRC. I'm pretty sure it's a paraphrase of a genuine Twain quote.
If it's genuine, it's not from that book.

teelo wrote:Woah woah woah. Wellington doesn't have cold winters? Did someone forget to tell the climate around where I live?
I think what happened was someone forgot to tell you that rarely if ever going below freezing isn't a cold winter.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Grop

Postby Grop » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:27 pm UTC

I have been in Urumqi; I doubt it is very different from Turpan, and I wouldn't recommend it if you hate heat.

zjxs

Postby zjxs » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:56 pm UTC

It's not cold. It rarely ever reaches zero.

It is however the windiest city in the world. The Metservice tells me that 11 of the last 30 days had a gust of above 70km/h the highest four days were all above 90km/h, and the highest day was 115km/h. The *least* windy day was a very calm 30km/h.

Now, these are Kelburn readings so they're a bit higher than the Airport or Lower Hutt, but you get the picture. You'll never feel consistently warm and comfortable in Wellington.

zjxs

Postby zjxs » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:59 pm UTC

From the chart it seems that Sao Paulo, Brisbane, Perth, and LA are the best cities in the world, climate-wise.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”