1936: "Desert Golfing"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

somitomi

1936: "Desert Golfing"

Postby somitomi » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:30 am UTC

Title text: I just want to stay up long enough to watch the ball drop into the hole number 2018.

I would say this is an uncannily accurate depiction of my new year's eve, but I was actually playing a game called Tricky Truck.

Made with chridd's thread formatter

rhomboidal

Re: 1936: "Desert Golfing"

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:39 am UTC

You've got to watch out for time traps more than sand traps.

richP

Postby richP » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:41 pm UTC

I had a similar thought last night. I was driving home after the conclusion of the new year festivities. We're old and boring so we left immediately after the stroke of midnight. The thought was that if I was pulled over by law enforcement and asked if I had been drinking, I could answer "officer, I haven't had a drink all year".

I was sober, so the joke looses some of its punch.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:58 pm UTC

richP wrote:I was sober, so the joke looses some of its punch.
Fruit punch? And how loose did you loosen it?

(Something tells me I'm going to look up Desert Golf on my "play games" tablet and have yet another thing to take my time up, alongside the match-adjacent-tiles games, the ragdoll-physics games, the flowing-sands games, the linear-terrain-driving games, the tank-design games, the tower-defence/attack games, the space-territory-conquest games and the neural-network-evolving games.)

Oh, by the way,
Nappy Yew Hear!
Wait, what? Oh, Ok then…
Yappy Hew Near!

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:06 pm UTC

I had a similar reaction — my family and I were playing poker. The very first thing I did this year was lost a hand. I can say I was playing poker for like 11% of the year!

I never really get into mobile games. People always suggest them to me, and I play them for a few days, then the app just sits there and I don’t do anything with it.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:10 pm UTC

I had something like that happen about five years ago. On January 1st, around 5 pm, I had to stop for a traffic light with a marked police car right behind me, and took a pull from the brown bottle in my console while I waited for the light to change, then held up the bottle and tilted it to the side to see if it was almost empty, so I'd know whether to get another beverage out of my cooler while I was stopped.

As soon as the light changed, I made my right turn, and the cops followed, turning on their flashing lights as I expected they would. I pulled into a convenient parking lot and waited for them to approach and ask the obvious question "whatcha drinkin'?" They implied that it looked like I was still partying in my car (at 5 pm?).

I showed them the bottle of Frosty® root beer, telling them that if they liked root beer that was the brand to get but that it was only available seasonally. After absorbing my little impromptu commercial, they smiled and let me go on my way.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:33 pm UTC

I'd rather play Dessert Golf.
People who wish to submit rules to my new game are welcome to do so.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:32 pm UTC

Me, I was unpacking, sorting, and repacking my Flash Point board game + expansions (base game and 7 expansions come in 3 boxes and 5 shrink-wrapped packages, so once you've opened them to play, you need to come up with a new storage solution. Happily, by ditching the insert and redundant tokens (most of the expansions are "alternate game board with some additional rules and bits and maybe an extra thing that can be used in all games" so some things not in the base game appear redundantly across more than one expansion) it does all fit - though it does mean that it takes two boxes to play the base game...

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:30 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:I'd rather play Dessert Golf.
People who wish to submit rules to my new game are welcome to do so.

While looking for the App (it appears the 'definitive' one costs £1.39, and there are numerous clones, including one with a comment "You took the good things from desert golfing and destroyed it", and various other clear 'inspired by' demihemisemiclones) there was one called Dessert Gulf. Reading the reviews, I'm no longer tempted to try these out, and I can hold off on the original too.

But, just to say, it looks like something that may have passed me by, but it has clearly not passed by a load of other opportunistic programmers, looking to get on the same wagon-train...

colonel_hack

Postby colonel_hack » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:26 am UTC

Desert golfing?
And that is the actual course you see behind the sign.

https://www.golfcourseranking.com/courses/arizona/apache-junction/usa/snake-hole-golf-course/11483/

teelo

Postby teelo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:46 am UTC

My new years resolution is 1440*900.

Quey

Postby Quey » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:15 am UTC

I guess I have to be the cynic here... Was this a sponsored comic?

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:03 pm UTC

Quey wrote:I guess I have to be the cynic here... Was this a sponsored comic?

Could be. I thought the name was odd -- why not "Desert Golf," without the ing? But there it is, in $MY_SMARTPHONES_APP_STORE, with exactly that name, and very similar looking screen shots.

I just might fall for it. Could be fun. Although I was perfectly content crossing the 2017/2018 boundary playing Scrabble with a loved one. :)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:16 pm UTC

GlassHouses wrote:I thought the name was odd -- why not "Desert Golf," without the ing?

I thought that too, but on reflection it seems legit. First the noun golf was verbed, and then a new noun was formed by regular use of the productive suffix -ing. And as so often happens in such cases, although the grammatical category has come full circle, the resulting word doesn't mean quite the same thing (see also: functionality). Compared to golf, golfing (coming as it does via the gerund/present participle) suggests more emphasis on the process, and given what I've read about Desert Golfing, this seems entirely appropriate.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:23 pm UTC

Reminded me of this.

I wonder if it's intentional.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:07 pm UTC

Kit. wrote:Reminded me of this.

One of the reviews for (one of) the Desert Golfing games mentioned Scorched Earth.

Many's the hours I've played that in early-'90s university PC labs, against AIs usually (useful in the quiet hours, when I could claim two or three machines in a row, and play SE on one whilst developing and otherwise spreading my networked wings on the other machine(s).

cheezehog

Postby cheezehog » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:50 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
richP wrote:I was sober, so the joke looses some of its punch.
Fruit punch? And how loose did you loosen it?

(Something tells me I'm going to look up Desert Golf on my "play games" tablet and have yet another thing to take my time up, alongside the match-adjacent-tiles games, the ragdoll-physics games, the flowing-sands games, the linear-terrain-driving games, the tank-design games, the tower-defence/attack games, the space-territory-conquest games and the neural-network-evolving games.)

Oh, by the way,
Nappy Yew Hear!
Wait, what? Oh, Ok then…
Yappy Hew Near!

Care to share a list of some of the games you enjoy?

I'm intrigued by your list of categories, specially tank designing and ragdoll physics games (I think I could guess some of the better games in your other categories).
Green armor, good camouflage, shiny green armor, not so much

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:37 pm UTC

cheezehog wrote:Care to share a list of some of the games you enjoy?

I'm intrigued by your list of categories, specially tank designing and ragdoll physics games (I think I could guess some of the better games in your other categories).

I've cut out a few of the old standards, recently, and am thinking of paring it down further. My principle is generally that I don't go for mandatory-onlineness games (and avoid mandatory pay-for-play, though freemiums might tempt me that extra step), but there are notable exceptions to this offline rule. As my games are on my Wifi-only device, though, I can keep that element down to the bare minimum. And somee only need to check in once a day, and not even that, if I'm honest.

Spoiler:
I've been stationary (level 401) in Bee Brilliant (hexagon-based tile-match/linker thing) for a long, long time now, just completing the daily quest in the small hours. Ditto (the original) Hill Climb Racing. Hill Climb Racing 2 is one where I always find a bit of Wifi time to 'download' new solo daily challenges, and am on-again-off-again ambivalent about the competitive online-only races (standard tracks, for which I'm Platinum 10-or-so level, by now; and themed point-scorers from which I got a Elf-costume, amongst other things, during the Christmas reward-run, which my avatar can wear while driving one or other of the gained Halloween-themed vehicle bodies I got a month before).

C.A.T.S. (a data-hogger, even without going for the supporting adverts) is a bit on the back-burner, now, because I'm not going over Prestige level (i.e. starting over again) while my spreadsheet still lacks the "Carbon-5 17HP Titan body" details (I have details of every other C5 item there is, including the 16 and 18HP versions, and everything up to the C4 15HP which is the natural predecessor). Going Prestige, though, is the only way for me to win the new (and parallel) Ultimate League parts (without being good/lucky enough to win Ultimate League promotion, which is a self-defeating limitation) so the Ultimate League is basically a terrible incentive for me, as a recent change, until I'm happy to start over in the Champuonship segment. Their loss. Or not, as I expect they're doing Ok by other players.

Super Tank Rumble (needs onlineness, but far more sedately, and much more intellectual, save for having to 'play' your Tank against the AIed player-constructions - where CATS just AIs you both, making that one more IdleClicker game after a while) is something I'm keeping faithful to at the moment, with Christmas "check in" rewards still flowing, and giving me occasional ideas for new things to do with all the parts my Level-22ish capability gives me. (Most enemy players at this level seem to favour some form of towering construction, even a too-tall-tower designed at an angle and brought upright by counterweights, from which to rain missiles and mortors down; it's my tactic to eat away at their base to make them topple. Others go for the over-defended (including Shielded!) mini-tank that comes in with flamethrower attacks (probably more anti-Tower tactics) and they are a pain to my ranged-attack concepts. And then you have to watch out for the catapulters, who send a mini-unit whistling over your head to where you migh forget about it, before you can get rid of it, and you end up timing out before destroying all their hardware and losing by default after trying to trundle all the way back to your end to finish the job. As you can see, I've thought about this a lot, even when not playing. ;))

Erm, what else (from memory, my 'games' tablet is charging in another room)…? Boom Beach took up some of my online time, before I one day found its save corrupted. Don't feel like starting over again if that's what happens if I reinstall (likely, as I never registered a full login for it). Checking my spreadsheet, I had a level 20 HQ, giving me every unit except the Cryoneer all four (at the time of playing) Heroes and was well on the way to getting most things up to the level of upgrade I could only exceed with HQ21+. It was probably a good thing that I was prevnted from wasting more time on that.

Galimulator. Mostly played as zero-player, watching the galaxy (or whatever layout) evolve. Good background timewaster to run whilst working on another device or screen.

An Android port of Liberal Crime Squad. Interface could be better, but so long as Dwarf Fortress isn't playable on such a limited platform, it suffices as a sort of surrogate. ;)

There's one called Colonizer, I think. A rough'n'ready tactical starmap-capturing game, that suffices until I find a Stars! port to waste my time with, maybe…

Build-A-Brisge (I think it's called) is… well, there's levels still to improve upon/get achievements for, but it's been promising extra levels in the mainstream series for yonks now, and only "hey, buy this 'get everything' pack and get Moon Levels" has appeared, which I'm not currently biting. Also it has Bonus Levels that I seem not to get access to, because I haven't completed Daily Challenges (having only played offline, it appears I'll never be Daily Challenged, so they're still locked).

There's one or other (or multiple) Powder Toys, sometimes poked at every other month when I wonder about melting a wax plug with a nuclear-reaction heated metal element in order to flush brine over a spark against a heavy flow of CO2 gas subliming off the reactor jacket, above which is a reservoir of nitroglycerine, or whatever. Totally pointless, but that seems to be the theme of the day, you'll have noted by now.

On a prior device (lost, some years back) I was doing quiet well with Family Guy's Quest For Stuff, but the enforced quitting from tht probably saved me from many hours of wasted idle-clicking. But I probably still have the spreadsheets around here, that kept track of my progress! OCD? Maybe. :P

Last time I glanced, there were loads more "tried at least once, uninstalled" game packages noted by the App manager, and I'vea feeling I'm missing some of the current ones, too. On this device, though, I've largely kept it free of 'fun' stuff, and I only waste time writing large missives to fora. Betwixt my everyday work/whilst travelling/at silly-o'clock-in-the-morning.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:33 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:

One of the reviews for (one of) the Desert Golfing games mentioned Scorched Earth.

Many's the hours I've played that in early-'90s university PC labs, against AIs usually (useful in the quiet hours, when I could claim two or three machines in a row, and play SE on one whilst developing and otherwise spreading my networked wings on the other machine(s).

I've played so many hours of scorched earth against AIs and human friends that it boggles my mind even thinking about it. I loved that game, so much.

Probably had to do with the explosions, and being 10-14 years of age.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

bantler

Postby bantler » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:22 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:I had something like that happen about five years ago. On January 1st, around 5 pm, I had to stop for a traffic light with a marked police car right behind me, and took a pull from the brown bottle in my console while I waited for the light to change, then held up the bottle and tilted it to the side to see if it was almost empty, so I'd know whether to get another beverage out of my cooler while I was stopped.

As soon as the light changed, I made my right turn, and the cops followed, turning on their flashing lights as I expected they would. I pulled into a convenient parking lot and waited for them to approach and ask the obvious question "whatcha drinkin'?" They implied that it looked like I was still partying in my car (at 5 pm?).

I showed them the bottle of Frosty® root beer, telling them that if they liked root beer that was the brand to get but that it was only available seasonally. After absorbing my little impromptu commercial, they smiled and let me go on my way.

You white-folks and your hijinks!

serutan

Postby serutan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:02 pm UTC

When golfing in the desert, one does have to be careful not to be overzealous about tracking down lost balls.

For a sentient herbivore, discretion is the only part of valor. - Larry Niven

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:36 am UTC

serutan wrote:When golfing in the desert, one does have to be careful not to be overzealous about tracking down lost balls.

Ahh! Cholla really sucks. I’d hate to be that guy.

cheezehog

Postby cheezehog » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:58 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
cheezehog wrote:Care to share a list of some of the games you enjoy?

I've cut out a few of the old standards, recently, and am thinking of paring it down further....

Many thanks! Some good recommends here
Green armor, good camouflage, shiny green armor, not so much

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:26 am UTC

Screenshot_2018-02-21-22-46-49.png

Anyone else spend way too much time playing this? I'm on hole 5700.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Tillian wrote:sig'd

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:49 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:

I've played so many hours of scorched earth against AIs and human friends that it boggles my mind even thinking about it. I loved that game, so much.

Probably had to do with the explosions, and being 10-14 years of age.
I credit Scorched Earth with my financial sense. Sit back the first two rounds while everybody else blows their funds away (maybe buy a cheapo mag deflector to waste more of their ammo), and then dominate the rest of the game with the compounding 20% interest.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”