1937: "IATA Airport Abbreviations"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

orthogon

Re: 1937: "IATA Airport Abbreviations"

Postby orthogon » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:56 pm UTC

sonar1313 wrote:The peculiar arrangements in Alaska mean that the winner - probably the worldwide winner - is Sitka, AK...

... homeland of the Frozen Chosen?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Quey

Postby Quey » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:05 pm UTC

sfmans wrote:Many people seem to think that everywhere in England is in London, and the airports aren’t helping ...

England is only about a quarter the size of my state, and I regularly travel the length of England for work. That's actually quite surprising to me, that the tiny, local, 15-person company I work for has a territory the size of England. I guess "local" is quite relative. And California is big.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:43 pm UTC

GO¾?

ColletArrow

Postby ColletArrow » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:31 pm UTC

sfmans wrote:
alexriehl wrote:Tacking on to this, while LHR (London Heathrow) is the airport //most// people would fly into to get to London, there are two other airports serving the area as well: LGW (London Gatwick) and LCA (London City Airport).

It’s even worse than that - there’s also London Stansted (STN, more truthfully called Bishops Stortford Airport) and London Southend (SEN, a dog-and-pony show one hour by car or train from anywhere you’d remotely call London).

Many people seem to think that everywhere in England is in London, and the airports aren’t helping ...

...then there's Lydd airport, which used to call itself "London Ashford Airport"... distance-wise, as it's right on the south coast it's closer to France than it is to London, and it's even 20 miles from Ashford!
(Admittedly, I found that from this video a while ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbAal7jIWQ4, about 9 mins in).

I'm also glad I'm not the only one who related this to the British station name codes, I certainly know more of them than airport codes. Although Birmingham New Street -> BHM still gets me, I keep thinking it should be BNS, but that's Barnes...

jgh

Postby jgh » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:19 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:Conversely, our corporate air travel provider now offers international rail tickets too, and has invented bogus pseudo-IATA codes for the railway stations.
Last year I got a through train ticket from Sheffield to Dublin. It was nice having a ticket that said SHF-DUB. Unfortunately, DUB doesn't connect to the Irish rail network.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:24 pm UTC

jgh wrote:It was nice having a ticket that said SHF-DUB. Unfortunately, DUB doesn't connect to the Irish rail network.
The DUP probably vetoed it. :P

Eternal Density

Re: 1937: "Yes I know the song is named for the airport"

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:24 am UTC

Mutex wrote:Whenever I fly from London Heathrow (LHR) to Toronto Pearson (YYZ) I always feel Pearson were back of the queue when they were handing out airport abbreviations.

Yeah when they grabbed YYZ they were in a Rush.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Tinfoil666

Postby Tinfoil666 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:49 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Mutex wrote:Whenever I fly from London Heathrow (LHR) to Toronto Pearson (YYZ) I always feel Pearson were back of the queue when they were handing out airport abbreviations.

All Canadian airports start with a 'Y".
It's actually quite convenient to be able to pick out the Canadian cities quickly on itineraries (ignoring outliers like Yuma (YUM))
Toronto AREA uses YTO, but since there is more than one airport, Pearson had to take a more obscure airport-specific code.
Toronto City Center (Billy Bishop) uses YTZ, for example.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:27 am UTC

Tinfoil666 wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:

It's actually quite convenient to be able to pick out the Canadian cities quickly on itineraries (ignoring outliers like Yuma (YUM))
Toronto AREA uses YTO, but since there is more than one airport, Pearson had to take a more obscure airport-specific code.

Why are you telling me this?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:40 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Why are you telling me this?

Why are any of us telling any of us any of this? Why are we all here?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

thunk

Postby thunk » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:41 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Tinfoil666 wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:

The Rush song came second I think...
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

thunk

Re: 1937: "Edit: I can't read apparently"

Postby thunk » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:45 am UTC

thunk wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
Tinfoil666 wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:

troo dat

Eternal Density

Re: 1937: You call "I probably shouldn't have put critical information here because no one reads these," steamed hams?

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:08 am UTC

thunk wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
Tinfoil666 wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:

Well yes the Rush song was a reference to the airport code, I was constructing a pun so we could have... humour!
thunk wrote:
thunk wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
Tinfoil666 wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:

I think you quoted yourself instead of editing, and only edited the subject, in order to inform me that you read my edited subject and now understand that I was joking.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:41 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:in order to inform me that you read my edited subject and now understand that I was joking.

In his and everyone else's defense, changing the subject line isn't very noticeable, especially with quoted text. I didn't notice until you called it out. (In the comic threads, it's probably some obscure forum violation, since the title is specified by the mods, down to the character.)

I know it's done constantly in the Time thread, but that sort of joke is usually made in spoiler tags or TinyText on the rest of the site.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:15 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:in order to inform me that you read my edited subject and now understand that I was joking.

In his and everyone else's defense, changing the subject line isn't very noticeable, especially with quoted text. I didn't notice until you called it out. (In the comic threads, it's probably some obscure forum violation, since the title is specified by the mods, down to the character.)

I know it's done constantly in the Time thread, but that sort of joke is usually made in spoiler tags or TinyText on the rest of the site.

The thread title is specified; I'm not sure about the title of individual posts... On the one hand, it's the thread title that displays on the lowest level board view; on the other hand, it's the post title that displays in higher-levels of the board hierarchy.

thunk

Postby thunk » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:11 pm UTC

I mean I should have noticed but as you saw already I'm apparently incompetent at forum markup.
troo dat

AndrewGPaul

Postby AndrewGPaul » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:15 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:I got started looking for the answer to that when I guy I worked with said he had a job prospect in Alexandria and I had to ask him "Virginia or Egypt?"

There's quite a lot.

Soupspoon wrote:
sfmans wrote:Many people seem to think that everywhere in England is in London, and the airports aren’t helping ...

London Scotland Airport…

(And that's at least three of us who've mentioned DSA, now. ;))

Ryanair once advertised "free" flights from Norway to "London Prestwick". Prestwick airport is 30 miles from Glasgow, and 400 miles from London. It's also the site of Elvis' only visit to the UK, as he returned to America after finishing his time in the US Army in Germany.
Last edited by AndrewGPaul on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:08 am UTC

AndrewGPaul wrote:Ryanair once advertised "free" flights from Norway to "London Prestwick". Prestwick airport is 30 miles from Glasgow, and 400 miles from London.

London Westray (IATA: WRY) or London Papa Westray (IATA: PPW) would be interesting. Either of these, given that there's scheduled flights between the two, in case you need a transfer, with travel time typically about one minute.
Last edited by Soupspoon on Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

DavidSh

Postby DavidSh » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:09 am UTC

Just as well LDY now calls itself the City Of Derry Airport. Londonderry Airport could get confused for London Derry Airport.

Crissa

Postby Crissa » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:02 am UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:yet it's one of the few with an NSFW joke.

Maybe I'm just too much west-coast, but...

...What was not safe for work? O-o

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:05 am UTC

Crissa wrote:

"CL(i)T [censored]" in the 2nd column.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:48 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I've similarly noted, having lived near both sides of a county line my whole life, that "The Tri-County Area" means different things depending on which side of that line you are. In Ventura County, that means Santa Barbara, Ventura, and Los Angeles counties. In Santa Barbara County, that apparently means the San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and Ventura counties.

Basically "The Tri-County Area" is whichever county you're in and its two neighbors (not counting the inland neighbor because nobody lives there anyway, that's all just barren wasteland as far as the eye can see).

You also have three Tri-State Areas over there, or had last time I looked, and at least a couple of Rattlesnake Ridges, but only one Tri-State Area with a Rattlesnake Ridge. I don't think the guy who posted about security at nuclear sites meant to give away the exact location but he did, didn't he? I went looking on the satellite view until I found a big, blue blur, zoomed out a bit, switched to map view and oh, yeah, it says "Nuclear Reserve" right there on the Google Map. Not such a giveaway after all.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:17 am UTC

Mikeski wrote:
Crissa wrote:

"CL(i)T [censored]" in the 2nd column.

Half of the readers just didn't pay enough attention to it, or realise it was even there?

Crissa

Postby Crissa » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:09 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:"CL(i)T [censored]" in the 2nd column.

Clearly I'm too west-coast. Why would knowing anatomy be not safe for work? o-o

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”