1951: "Super Bowl Watch Party"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

linux2647
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:54 pm UTC

1951: "Super Bowl Watch Party"

Postby linux2647 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:04 pm UTC

Image

Title text: "It's going to be weird near the end of May when the screen goes blank for over 18 hours."

Reminds me of 1190: Time, but IRL

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 1869
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1951: "Super Bowl Watch Party"

Postby cellocgw » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:50 pm UTC

linux2647 wrote:
Reminds me of 1190: Time, but IRL


Actually, it's more like the reverse of OTTer life: we could have watched in real time, or Waited For It :mrgreen: and binge-watched at 2300x faster via any of the collector sites that popped up.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

User avatar
sfmans
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:09 am UTC
Location: High Peak, UK

Re: 1951: "Super Bowl Watch Party"

Postby sfmans » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:21 pm UTC

I feel really old school now having watched the game at 1:1

Kit.
Posts: 1042
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:14 pm UTC

Re: 1951: "Super Bowl Watch Party"

Postby Kit. » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:43 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Actually, it's more like the reverse of OTTer life: we could have watched in real time,


User avatar
Bloopy
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 9:16 am UTC
Location: New Zealand

Re: 1951: "Super Bowl Watch Party"

Postby Bloopy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:49 pm UTC

If you screen it in black and white, it elicits rave reviews from Béla Tarr fans.

User avatar
keithl
Posts: 630
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

Re: 1951: "Super Bowl Watch Party"

Postby keithl » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:59 pm UTC

Years ago, I was in San Jose on the day of the Super Bowl, and went on a hike in the hills with two dozen geeks. Our leader, Brad T., had jury-rigged a digital video recorder (before there were commercial products that did this) and was capturing the whole show on hard disk.
But we weren't interested in the football, just the special effects used in the commercials. After we returned from the hike, Brad searched the stream and played only the commercials (and we lingered only on the technically interesting ones).
That was about a 10 to 1 compression (including replays and freezeframes and hypothesizing about technique), so Brad's "superbowl compression party" lasted about 5 hours, most of it hiking and enjoying nature, while we talked about the software and hardware startups that some of the hikers were building the other 160 hours of the week.

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 1869
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1951: "Super Bowl Watch Party"

Postby cellocgw » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:33 pm UTC

keithl wrote:Years ago, I was in San Jose on the day of the Super Bowl, and went on a hike in the hills with two dozen geeks. Our leader, Brad T., had jury-rigged a digital video recorder (before there were commercial products that did this) and was capturing the whole show on hard disk.
But we weren't interested in the football, just the special effects used in the commercials. After we returned from the hike, Brad searched the stream and played only the commercials (and we lingered only on the technically interesting ones).
That was about a 10 to 1 compression (including replays and freezeframes and hypothesizing about technique), so Brad's "superbowl compression party" lasted about 5 hours, most of it hiking and enjoying nature, while we talked about the software and hardware startups that some of the hikers were building the other 160 hours of the week.


So.... you knew the way to San Jose?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

User avatar
somitomi
Posts: 565
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:21 pm UTC
Location: can be found in Hungary
Contact:

Re: 1951: "Super Bowl Watch Party"

Postby somitomi » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:39 pm UTC

Bloopy wrote:If you screen it in black and white, it elicits rave reviews from Béla Tarr fans.

I honestly didn't expect Tarr Béla to pop up in a discussion about an xkcd comic.
—◯-◯

User avatar
Heimhenge
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 11:35 pm UTC

Re: 1951: "Super Bowl Watch Party"

Postby Heimhenge » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:06 am UTC

OK, the title text seems to imply there was 28 seconds (18 hours / 2300) of dead air somewhere around the middle of the broadcast. I was watching but didn't notice anything like that. Did I miss something during a halftime restroom break? Maybe they blanked out Timberlake? :)

uncleroy
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:22 pm UTC
Location: New York City

Re: 1951: "Super Bowl Watch Party"

Postby uncleroy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:44 am UTC

Heimhenge wrote:OK, the title text seems to imply there was 28 seconds (18 hours / 2300) of dead air somewhere around the middle of the broadcast. I was watching but didn't notice anything like that. Did I miss something during a halftime restroom break? Maybe they blanked out Timberlake? :)


Yes, there was about 30 seconds of black screen here in NYC. I don't remember exactly when during the game, but we thought it was a missed cue for a commercial or something.

I hadn't seen anything else about it on-line, so I'm glad to know somebody else saw it.

RogueCynic
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:23 pm UTC

Re: 1951: "Super Bowl Watch Party"

Postby RogueCynic » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:08 am UTC

I saw the blackout too.

Heimhenge wrote:OK, the title text seems to imply there was 28 seconds (18 hours / 2300) of dead air somewhere around the middle of the broadcast. I was watching but didn't notice anything like that. Did I miss something during a halftime restroom break? Maybe they blanked out Timberlake? :)


I wish.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

User avatar
Steve the Pocket
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:02 am UTC
Location: Going downtuuu in a Luleelurah!

Re: 1951: "Super Bowl Watch Party"

Postby Steve the Pocket » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:20 am UTC

I heard about it, but I wasn't made aware of the cause, so I thought maybe someone had deliberately made a commercial that consisted almost entirely of dead air. Turns out NBC just failed to cue the commercial break in time. No specific commercial had to be cut to make up for the lost time.

Actually, that's a good point—the Super Bowl is a football game, and as such could easily run past the allotted time slot. I believe the custom during sporting events that run long is to continue going to commercial at the usual intervals, so what happens when it's the Super Bowl and they've charged millions per minute for a finite number of slots that they've now used up?
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

User avatar
Eshru
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:51 am UTC

Re: 1951: "Super Bowl Watch Party"

Postby Eshru » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:13 am UTC

I'm sure there is a list of hey we'll pay you x if there is time to air this ads.

User avatar
Heimhenge
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 11:35 pm UTC

Re: 1951: "Super Bowl Watch Party"

Postby Heimhenge » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:46 pm UTC

Eshru wrote:I'm sure there is a list of hey we'll pay you x if there is time to air this ads.


More than likely, there's a waiting list for which, if time permits, the advertiser gets the privilege of paying the full $5M for 30 seconds of air time. Knowing the NFL's propensity for extracting as much cash from that event as possible, it's unlikely they'd be willing to haggle over the cost. And if extra ads are needed, they pretty much have to be in overtime ... so there's a good case the League would want more for that time slot.

But I'm just making an educated guess based on the League's greed. If anyone knows for sure, I'd love to hear.

rmsgrey
Posts: 3342
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: 1951: "Super Bowl Watch Party"

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:49 pm UTC

Heimhenge wrote:
Eshru wrote:I'm sure there is a list of hey we'll pay you x if there is time to air this ads.


More than likely, there's a waiting list for which, if time permits, the advertiser gets the privilege of paying the full $5M for 30 seconds of air time. Knowing the NFL's propensity for extracting as much cash from that event as possible, it's unlikely they'd be willing to haggle over the cost. And if extra ads are needed, they pretty much have to be in overtime ... so there's a good case the League would want more for that time slot.

But I'm just making an educated guess based on the League's greed. If anyone knows for sure, I'd love to hear.


My guess is that there's also a token fee (not more than $500K) for being added to the "if it goes long" list, with the balance of the standard charge being levied if the advert is actually aired.

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5544
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1951: "Superb Owl Watch Party"

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:12 am UTC

I've never watched any of a superb owl. But if someone put up a 1/2300 speed stream (or Time-like technology) I might be tempted.
[edit]
Oh. This was linked from the Time thread. Not sure why it wasn't linked here.
https://yearlongsuperbowl.com/
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6159
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1951: "Super Bowl Watch Party"

Postby ucim » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:11 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Oh. This was linked from the Time thread. Not sure why it wasn't linked here.
It just was - they just had to wait for it.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

User avatar
CopiousWaistcoats
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:14 pm UTC
Location: Scotland

Re: 1951: "Super Bowl Watch Party"

Postby CopiousWaistcoats » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:39 pm UTC

You know, this might be fun, add the marathon element to sporting events.... More acceptable to sleep through too

rmsgrey
Posts: 3342
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: 1951: "Super Bowl Watch Party"

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:01 am UTC

CopiousWaistcoats wrote:You know, this might be fun, add the marathon element to sporting events.... More acceptable to sleep through too


Pfeh. Just watch 5 day test cricket matches...

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5544
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1951: "Super Bowl Watch Party"

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:46 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Oh. This was linked from the Time thread. Not sure why it wasn't linked here.
It just was - they just had to wait for it.

Jose

What do you mean? It hasn't been linked ye... oh, well played.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
moody7277
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Extreme south Texas

Re: 1951: "Super Bowl Watch Party"

Postby moody7277 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:50 pm UTC

So, apparently Pink clocked in at 113 seconds for the National Anthem, so multiply by 30 fps and 85 and a half seconds per frame, means you'll be standing for 80 and a half hours to be properly patriotic.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

User avatar
The Advent
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:48 am UTC

Re: 1951: "Super Bowl Watch Party"

Postby The Advent » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:19 am UTC

When I first saw the title, I thought that wristwatches would be involved.
I was completely wrong, but it's funny to me that the comic still landed on the topic of time.

Raidri
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:39 am UTC
Location: Germany

Re: 1951: "Super Bowl Watch Party"

Postby Raidri » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:00 pm UTC

Kickoff is happening right now: https://yearlongsuperbowl.com/

Let the game begin!

TheCycoONE
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1951: "Super Bowl Watch Party"

Postby TheCycoONE » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:05 pm UTC

You'd think at that frame rate, they wouldn't need such lossy compression.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], mscha, pex and 32 guests