1986: "River Border"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ignitus

1986: "River Border"

Postby Ignitus » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:41 pm UTC

River Border

Alt Text: I'm not a lawyer, but I believe zones like this are technically considered the high seas, so if you cut a pizza into a spiral there you could be charged with pieracy under marinaritime law.

Someone is a little confused, but its cute she cares. In my home town the border is derived from where the river was in 1830. So we have lots of little loops that are the jurisdiction of the city across the river and I always wondered how much of a pain it must be to need to cross a bridge and drive through an area of town you have no jurisdiction for in order to respond to a call. I mean I assume the two cities have agreements for this stuff, but I've never formally looked it up.
Last edited by Ignitus on Fri May 04, 2018 6:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Re: 1986: River Border

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:49 pm UTC

You thread-ninjaed me, had to delete my alternate OP. (You forgot the quotes around the title, BTW, and I think you also forgot the link on the image. (edit: Or not. Maybe I mis-tapped, first time.) Quickly correct it, before it gets corrected for you?)

My own follow-on comment was:

If we make the river flow backwards, do we have to get everyone in Missouri to move to Nebraska and everyone in Nebraska move to Missouri, just to make the vector mathematics work properly?

I spent minutes deciding between "maths" (better for me and most of the world who care) and "math" (better for you colonials) before deciding upon "mathematics"!

jozwa

Postby jozwa » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:53 pm UTC

Crimes!

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:57 pm UTC

Of course if you put pineapple on a pizza, that's considered a crime against humanity for which you could be charged in The Hague.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:01 pm UTC

Guess I agree it's a crime, even if it's not illegal.

But quite a long way to go to use "marinaritime". :wink:
Nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. - A. Hamilton

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:03 pm UTC

Keyman wrote:Guess I agree it's a crime, even if it's not illegal.

But quite a long way to go to use "marinaritime". :wink:

I was so hung up on "pieracy" that I didn't even notice the subsequent non-word.

yakkoTDI

Postby yakkoTDI » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:17 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:Of course if you put pineapple on a pizza, that's considered a crime against humanity for which you could be charged in The Hague.

But the pineapples are so tasty with the jalapenos!

jozwa wrote:Crimes!

I love this criminal!!

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:45 pm UTC

I’m embarrassed — I thought that Missouri didn’t border Nebraska anywhere (even though I’m going to school in IA and have spent a fair amount of time in Kansas City). I thought it only bordered Kansas on that side... Looking at a map, I guess I’m wrong. I’ve even crossed both the KS/MO border and the NE/IA border multiple times.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:05 pm UTC

Your homework assignment: research the New Madrid Bend, and be prepared to give the exact latitude and longitude of the point where Missouri, Tennessee and Kentucky meet.

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:05 pm UTC

I *knew* there was a book in my past....

Heartily recomended. The Rift - Walter Jon Williams
Nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. - A. Hamilton

alacy52

Postby alacy52 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:12 pm UTC

This actually exists both on Nebraska's borders with Iowa and Missouri.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKissick_Island
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carter_Lake,_Iowa

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:00 pm UTC

There is also a section in Yellowstone where it’s theoretically impossible to prosecute any crimes committed there: https://www.vox.com/2014/5/22/5738756/y ... -away-scot
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:03 pm UTC

alacy52 wrote:This actually exists both on Nebraska's borders with Iowa and Missouri.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKissick_Island
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carter_Lake,_Iowa

I’m not actually all that surprised — this seems to be an issue everywhere there are borders and rivers. I know Texas/New Mexico had a dispute about this (as did Texas/Mexico). I believe on the Croatia/Serbia border, one claims the old path as the border, and the other claims the new path as the border, leaving little parcels of clans claimed by neither (and by both).

Reka

Postby Reka » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:32 pm UTC

Regarding the title text: Randall, come here. No, right here. A little closer. There. Now stand still.

THWACK! THWACK! THWACK THWACK THWACK THWACK THWACK!!!!

That is all, you may go now.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:07 am UTC

I wonder if Randall has ever been to 5 Corners:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrYtUalYdWg
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Lucia

Postby Lucia » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:16 am UTC

Is there a list somewhere of xkcd comics that pass Bechdel-Wallace?
Wildhound wrote:Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

Pelyphin

Postby Pelyphin » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:30 am UTC

This has happened a few times since the Rio Grande was recognized as the US/Mexican border. About one square mile of territory was added to the US (called the Chamizal), as the river shifted at some point. Some people settled there, and it became a point of contention between the US and Mexico for the better part of the 20th century. When it was decided that the land belonged to Mexico, as part of a bargaining process, those US citizens remaining were driven from their homes (well in advance of the ceremony that marked the handover, to keep anything from disrupting the harmony and goodwill).

Instead of recognizing the present course of the Rio Grande as the border - or setting an arbitrary border where the river had been originally - the geniuses in charge of the process dug a cement-lined canal along the border, and planned to divert the river into that, I guess so that tradition - and the language of the last border treaty - would be satisfied. The ceremony included a couple of buttons that the presidents of both countries would press simultaneously, triggering dynamite to divert the Rio Grande. The explosives failed, but some engineers got the job done shortly afterward.

It seems like the town - the whole area - should have been flooded, uninhabitable. If you look it up now, the way they settled the dispute is hailed as a triumph of diplomacy and international cooperation. It was a triumph of PR, at least.

chrisjwmartin

Postby chrisjwmartin » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:59 am UTC

*reads tooltip*

What on earth does pie have to do with pizza?

*thinks for a bit*

Oh, right - Randall is American, and for some reason they talk about "pizza pies".

Pelyphin

Postby Pelyphin » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:17 am UTC

It seems strange to me to imagine pizza as something other than a pie. Especially Chicago pizza - look up images for that, and you'll get it. I mean, if someone says "pie," my first thought is dessert, but there are plenty of meat pies and pot pies and so forth all over the world. I'm keeping an open mind here, but where's the discrepancy? What else would pizza be?

AndrewGPaul

Postby AndrewGPaul » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:41 am UTC

It's basically stuff on bread, isn't it? Whereas pies are things in pastry*. Someone else can tell us what the difference between bread and pastry is.

Although I suppose if a cottage pie and shepherds' pie are pies (with a crust made of potato, not pastry) then a deep-dish pizza could be a pie.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:29 pm UTC

Pizza is only a pie if you’re a filthy heathen who only eats deep dish pizza. Otherwise, it’s it’s own food group.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:25 pm UTC

AndrewGPaul wrote:It's basically stuff on bread, isn't it? Whereas pies are things in pastry*. Someone else can tell us what the difference between bread and pastry is.

Yes, hello. I do believe that technically a pastry dough must contain shortening, whereas bread dough is made with oil. Pizza is definitely bread. If you fold your slice then it might be a sandwich depending on the hot dog divide.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:31 pm UTC

And I first read "pieracy" as "pier"acy, even though/especially it gets a different compound of vowel sounds. A structure poking out out into water just seemed more relevant to the scenario than something supposedly like how the moon hits your eye… I worked it out eventually, but that pun didn't travel very well at all. (I'm not saying that there was not a sausage of humour, but obviously they can't all be weiners!)

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:16 pm UTC

Ignitus wrote:Someone is a little confused, but its cute she cares. In my home town the border is derived from where the river was in 1830. So we have lots of little loops that are the jurisdiction of the city across the river and I always wondered how much of a pain it must be to need to cross a bridge and drive through an area of town you have no jurisdiction for in order to respond to a call. I mean I assume the two cities have agreements for this stuff, but I've never formally looked it up.

A year or two ago, there was a land swap between Belgium and the Netherlands, in a similar situation. The bits of Dutch land that had ended up on the Belgian side of the river were being used for illegal wild camping, loud parties, and lots of littering/dumping, which Belgian law enforcement couldn't do anything about because it wasn't their jurisdiction, and Dutch law enforcement couldn't get there because no boats. I don't remember if similar bad behavior happened on the Belgian land that ended up on the Dutch side of the river, but if it did, the problems for law enforcement would have been the same.

wumpus

Postby wumpus » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:36 pm UTC

The Potomac river is the border of Maryland and Virginia, with the curious property that the entire river is part of Maryland. As far as I know, the only real difference is that you could have a building on the Virginia shore that sold VA lottery tickets, and also have a cash register on a floating pier selling MD ones as well (and also any item taxed lighter/available less expensive* than in VA). In practice I've never heard of this being done (also VA is allowed to take water from the river without the consent of MD. This isn't as big a deal as it would be in the western parts of the US).

* While I expect the official tax is lower on just about everything in VA, alcohol is typically more expensive. I'm guessing alcohol distribution is somehow even more corrupt than MD (which is pretty open and obvious).

peteispo

Postby peteispo » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:50 pm UTC

Why not follow the example of Pheasant Island in the Bidasoa River between France and Spain, which switches nationality every six months: that's a proper (typically European) way of solving a problem...

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:29 pm UTC

jgh

Postby jgh » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:07 pm UTC

What gets me about these polyps is the orphaned border joins the border running along the new river course at a right angle. I would expect it to join with a smooth curve along the line of the old river course. Following the river downstream shows an example just north of Rula and highway 159 of what I would expect - certainly that's what I find on UK maps where rivers have moved away from boundaries.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:45 am UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:
AndrewGPaul wrote:It's basically stuff on bread, isn't it? Whereas pies are things in pastry*. Someone else can tell us what the difference between bread and pastry is.

Yes, hello. I do believe that technically a pastry dough must contain shortening, whereas bread dough is made with oil. Pizza is definitely bread. If you fold your slice then it might be a sandwich depending on the hot dog divide.

Pizza is an open-face sandwich, obviously.
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

toddgeorge

Postby toddgeorge » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:03 pm UTC

pkcommando wrote:
eviloatmeal wrote:

Unless you fold it length-wise like done in NY. Then it's a taco.

sonar1313

Postby sonar1313 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:00 pm UTC

wumpus wrote:The Potomac river is the border of Maryland and Virginia, with the curious property that the entire river is part of Maryland. As far as I know, the only real difference is that you could have a building on the Virginia shore that sold VA lottery tickets, and also have a cash register on a floating pier selling MD ones as well (and also any item taxed lighter/available less expensive* than in VA). In practice I've never heard of this being done (also VA is allowed to take water from the river without the consent of MD. This isn't as big a deal as it would be in the western parts of the US).

* While I expect the official tax is lower on just about everything in VA, alcohol is typically more expensive. I'm guessing alcohol distribution is somehow even more corrupt than MD (which is pretty open and obvious).

I wish I could find it, but I can't: I read a story once about a gas station that existed on top of a border between two states, which I think were New York and Connecticut. The gas pumps and the store were in New York, but the guy had set up a trailer on the Connecticut side where he sold cigarettes, thanks to New York's way-higher taxes on them.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:44 pm UTC

toddgeorge wrote:
pkcommando wrote:
eviloatmeal wrote:

Unless you fold it length-wise like done in NY. Then it's a taco.

I thought tacos were the hard-shelled ones. A folded pizza is more a quesadilla.

DavidSh

Postby DavidSh » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:27 pm UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:Yes, hello. I do believe that technically a pastry dough must contain shortening, whereas bread dough is made with oil. Pizza is definitely bread. If you fold your slice then it might be a sandwich depending on the hot dog divide.

Pizza as I know it, sometimes called "New York pizza", is bread-based, but Chicago pizza seems to use shortening in its crust.

DanD

Postby DanD » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:45 pm UTC

wumpus wrote:The Potomac river is the border of Maryland and Virginia, with the curious property that the entire river is part of Maryland. As far as I know, the only real difference is that you could have a building on the Virginia shore that sold VA lottery tickets, and also have a cash register on a floating pier selling MD ones as well (and also any item taxed lighter/available less expensive* than in VA). In practice I've never heard of this being done (also VA is allowed to take water from the river without the consent of MD. This isn't as big a deal as it would be in the western parts of the US).

Sales tax in MD and Northern VA and Hampton Rhodes are equal. (Lower in the rest of VA by 0.7%). On the other hand, non-prepared food is tax exempt in MD, and only tax discounted in VA, so that might be your pier side item. (Except that I think piers are inherently in the jurisdiction of the land they connect to, regardless of the water ownership).

sonar1313

Postby sonar1313 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:57 pm UTC

DavidSh wrote:
eviloatmeal wrote:Yes, hello. I do believe that technically a pastry dough must contain shortening, whereas bread dough is made with oil. Pizza is definitely bread. If you fold your slice then it might be a sandwich depending on the hot dog divide.

Pizza as I know it, sometimes called "New York pizza", is bread-based, but Chicago pizza seems to use shortening in its crust.

Chicago pizza is really just tomato casserole.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:46 pm UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:I thought tacos were the hard-shelled ones. A folded pizza is more a quesadilla.
That may be true, but it's because of the cheese (which traditional tacos often don't have), not the soft "shell" (which traditional tacos do have).
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:58 pm UTC

Pizzas are pastriformes because the bread is cooked with the contents already in it. Whereas quesadillas are tacoformes because they are open-faced wraps; even though unlike tacos proper they are cooked after adding the contents, the bread was already fully cooked first.

(For reference: pastriformes and sandwiformes are sibling taxons. Sandwiches and wraps are the child taxons of sandwiformes, each in turn having an open- and closed-faced child taxon of its own, with those of the wraps being respectively tacoformes and burritoformes. Hot dogs are tacoformes).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:31 pm UTC

(For anyone who's confused about the sudden introduction of terms like "sandwiformes" into this thread, it's because we've had this discussion before and Pfhorrest came up with a fairly comprehensive taxonomy at that time.)

Pfhorrest wrote:Pizzas are pastriformes because the bread is cooked with the contents already in it. Whereas quesadillas are tacoformes because they are open-faced wraps; even though unlike tacos proper they are cooked after adding the contents, the bread was already fully cooked first.
While it's of course true that a proper taxonomy takes into account how something comes to be rather than simply what the finished result looks like, there is definitely a qualitative similarity between a quesadilla and a folded pizza or calzone.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:41 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:(For anyone who's confused about the sudden introduction of terms like "sandwiformes" into this thread, it's because we've had this discussion before and Pfhorrest came up with a fairly comprehensive taxonomy at that time.)

Pfhorrest wrote:Pizzas are pastriformes because the bread is cooked with the contents already in it. Whereas quesadillas are tacoformes because they are open-faced wraps; even though unlike tacos proper they are cooked after adding the contents, the bread was already fully cooked first.
While it's of course true that a proper taxonomy takes into account how something comes to be rather than simply what the finished result looks like, there is definitely a qualitative similarity between a quesadilla and a folded pizza or calzone.

When preparing food, the preparation methods are a relevant distinction; when consuming it, the qualitative properties of the food are more relevant than how it comes to be in the first place.

Whether the chef's taxonomy is the best nomenclature for the diners to use is an open question.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Thu May 03, 2018 6:40 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:When preparing food, the preparation methods are a relevant distinction; when consuming it, the qualitative properties of the food are more relevant than how it comes to be in the first place.

Whether the chef's taxonomy is the best nomenclature for the diners to use is an open question.

So what you're saying is that before serving, a pizza is just a really messy focaccia. Then, when a diner decides to fold a particularly meaty slice and bite into it from the end, it inherits the form of a hot dog.

I could get behind this.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”