2080: "Cohort and Age Effects"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

WriteBrainedJR

2080: "Cohort and Age Effects"

Postby WriteBrainedJR » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:33 pm UTC

Title Text: "Younger people get very few joint replacements, yet they're also getting more than older people did at the same age. This means you can choose between 'Why are millennials getting so (many/few) joint replacements?' depending on which trend fits your current argument better."

As a Xennial who will almost certainly need knee replacements eventually (one is guaranteed, the other I might dodge if I stop walking and/or die soon enough), I have a lot to say about this comic.

1. Every Boomer and older person I know who has had knee replacements tells me to put them off for as long as I possibly can, because they're the absolute worst.

2. Xers and Millennials I know who have had knee replacements tell me that they're more good than bad, and my doctor (an orthopedic surgeon) tells me that the technology and procedures have improved significantly since the 80s and 90s, when the older people I know were getting their surgeries. So, maybe younger people are less likely to put off the surgery because it's more likely to improve their lives.

3. Millennials are (at least stereotypically) more health-conscious than the generations that came before them. Maybe that attitude has direct effects on their choice to get replacement surgeries. There could also be an indirect effect--if you're more health-conscious, you're likely to see doctors more often, which means doctors have more opportunities to suggest and/or talk you into surgery.

4. Life insurance is (was) mandatory, and joint replacement surgeries are expensive. In the past, many young people chose not to bother with health insurance because it's expensive and they figure (sometimes, but not always, correctly) that they won't need it anyway.

5. It probably says about me that the person I think of as "my doctor" is an orthopedic surgeon :lol:

tsarna

Re: 2080: "Cohort and Age Effects"

Postby tsarna » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:50 pm UTC

In related news, the funeral home industry is headed to crisis, as studies reveal millennials have funerals at a much lower rate than previous generations.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:06 pm UTC

Fortunately, here in Massachusetts, Millenials (and Baby Boomers) can easily get joint replacements legally, now. Initial news reports suggest millenials are purchasing them in quantity.

(4:20)
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:38 pm UTC

I hear people born in the 2010s have smaller feet than the national average in their home country.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:54 pm UTC

I still remember when the news came out that Barry Manilow was getting a hip replacement. It was probably the first time the words "hip" and "Manilow" had appeared together in the same headline.

edo

Postby edo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:55 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:I hear people born in the 2010s have smaller feet than the national average in their home country.

on a related note: I have more than the average number of legs (and I will guess that most of you reading this do too)
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

WriteBrainedJR

Postby WriteBrainedJR » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:16 pm UTC

edo wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:I hear people born in the 2010s have smaller feet than the national average in their home country.

on a related note: I have more than the average number of legs (and I will guess that most of you reading this do too)

Everyone has either more or fewer than the average number of legs.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:26 pm UTC

You're limiting the "leg" cohort to just humans? Depending upon how far you extend the breadth of polled creatures, I may have either more or less than the average number of legs. (Even, conceivably, exactly equal, but not because I'm a representative of the mode, or even median.)

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:20 am UTC

tsarna wrote:In related news, the funeral home industry is headed to crisis, as studies reveal millennials have funerals at a much lower rate than previous generations.

Funeral homes are in trouble anyway. They have no repeat business like barber shops.

cellocgw wrote:Fortunately, here in Massachusetts, Millenials (and Baby Boomers) can easily get joint replacements legally, now. Initial news reports suggest millenials are purchasing them in quantity.

In Massachusetts, a hospital cannot refuse treatment if a patient cannot pay.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:39 am UTC

edo wrote:

The average American has one breast and one testicle.

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:14 am UTC

WriteBrainedJR wrote:
edo wrote:

Everyone has either more or fewer than the average number of legs.

That depends on how you define "number of legs" when applied to an individual. Does someone who has one leg amputated below the knee count as having one leg, or two, or something in between?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:10 pm UTC

GlassHouses wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
edo wrote:

With probability one, everyone has either more or less than the average number of legs.

That depends on how you define "number of legs" when applied to an individual. Does someone who has one leg amputated below the knee count as having one leg, or two, or something in between?

Is that better?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:47 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
GlassHouses wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
edo wrote:

With probability one, everyone has either more or less than the average number of legs.

Is that better?

It still depends on how you define "number of legs" - if it can take arbitrary real values between 0 and 2 (and maybe outside that range too) then, sure, it's almost certain that no-one has any particular number of legs (except possibly 2), but there are other ways of assigning non-integer leg counts that don't require infinitely many possible values.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:40 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:(and maybe outside that range too)

Most definitely. Some of my friends keep talking about their third leg.
I doubt anyone has fewer less than 0 leg, but if you suffer from phantom pain, do you have an imaginary leg?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:15 am UTC

Flumble wrote:

I doubt anyone has fewer less than 0 leg, but if you suffer from phantom pain, do you have an imaginary leg?

Can't be, because then it would also be a real leg (possibly a negative real leg) from the frame of reference of anyone standing to either side of you and facing you.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:28 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Can't be, because then it would also be a real leg (possibly a negative real leg) from the frame of reference of anyone standing to either side of you and facing you.
No, that would only work if they were standing to either side in the imaginary axis dimension. This means "from the past" or "from the future". And it's not clear in any case that that's an unpermitted result.

In fact, this discovery may well win you the Nobel prize for this new method of providing new limbs to amputees.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:54 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:
edo wrote:

Only approximately, due to gender ratio and injury/disease effects.
Flumble wrote:

I suffer from phantom pain, so I have an imaginary testicle.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:54 pm UTC

RogueCynic wrote:
tsarna wrote:In related news, the funeral home industry is headed to crisis, as studies reveal millennials have funerals at a much lower rate than previous generations.

Funeral homes are in trouble anyway. They have no repeat business like barber shops.

Dunno about that - how many times have Freddie K and Kenny and Jason V died?

RogueCynic wrote:
cellocgw wrote:Fortunately, here in Massachusetts, Millenials (and Baby Boomers) can easily get joint replacements legally, now. Initial news reports suggest millenials are purchasing them in quantity.

In Massachusetts, a hospital cannot refuse treatment if a patient cannot pay.

I think you got majorly WHOOOSHED there
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

edo

Postby edo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:07 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:
edo wrote:

Not extactly of course: Just shy of one testicle. Not sure on the breast, could go either way, my gut says under 1.0 though.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:17 am UTC

I feel sorry for all of those average American families who, after having two healthy full children, only got half a child from their third pregnancy.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”