2095: "Marsiforming"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mathmannix

2095: "Marsiforming"

Postby mathmannix » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:36 pm UTC

Title Text: "It has so many advantages--it preserves Martian life, requires fewer interplanetary launches, and makes it much easier to field-test Mars rovers."

It would also be necessary to move earth into Mars' orbit (obviously not exactly where Mars is, but probably as close as possible to the opposite side of the sun from Mars!) At least the rotational period wouldn't have to change much.

"Marsiforming" doesn't sound like it would be the right word to me, but Mars is the Latin name for the god, so I guess also for the planet?
Should it instead be something like "martaforming"?
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

NotAllThere

Re: 2095: "Marsiforming"

Postby NotAllThere » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:49 pm UTC

Ok. Works for me.
yangosplat wrote:So many amazing quotes, so little room in 300 characters!

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:50 pm UTC

I believe the correct term would be "barsoomiforming".

DanD

Postby DanD » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:20 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:"Marsiforming" doesn't sound like it would be the right word to me, but Mars is the Latin name for the god, so I guess also for the planet?
Should it instead be something like "martaforming"?

Areforming. At least that would be my choice. The etymology doesn't quite line up, but Terra forming is making it Earth like, so Ares forming would be making it Mars like.

DanD

Postby DanD » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:22 pm UTC

Heimhenge wrote:I believe the correct term would be "barsoomiforming".

Only if you're putting in a breathable atmosphere and 6 limbed fauna.

Justin Lardinois

Postby Justin Lardinois » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:36 pm UTC

I initially misread it as the much more horrifying "Earth and maps may look different now, but with some orbiting mirrors and atmospheric adjustments, we could change that."

nomaduk

Postby nomaduk » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:51 pm UTC

DanD wrote:Areforming. At least that would be my choice. The etymology doesn't quite line up, but Terra forming is making it Earth like, so Ares forming would be making it Mars like.

As noted, the etymology isn't right. Terra is Latin, Ares is Greek (and mixing Latin and Greek is always a bad idea, qv 'television').

'Martiaforming' would work, I should think.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:20 pm UTC

Kim Stanley Robinson used "areoforming", I believe (I'll check the books later), but that wasn't 'terraforming Mars' or 'Marsifying Earth', rather making people suited to Mars (with futuretech biological tweaks) while applying measures to make Mars something (not totally Earthlike) that they could be more suited to. The median between the "Keep Mars Red" fundis and those who were determined to remake it as close to Earth as they could, and thus antithetical (possibly heretically!) to both extremes.

IIRC. I might have misremembered where on the spectrum it actually was. Another thing to check.

(Is "forming" more Laughin' or Grief? Off the top of my head it sounds Latinesque in origin, but if it's (say) Germanic then both mediteranean roots of the prefixes would be 'bad' (in the "television" manner) against the suffix.)

keldor

Postby keldor » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:15 pm UTC

I'm always a little disturbed by the ad on TV that says we can make Mars a "better planet". It's a fine planet just the way it is.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:32 pm UTC

I vote for making Pluto a better planet.

keithl

Postby keithl » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:59 pm UTC

Reducing Earth's surface gravity to match Mars requires a 90% mass reduction, some very tall stilts, or making the Earth much fluffier, like sponge cake. On the other hand, making Mars and Earth match exactly only requires smacking them together into one combined planet. Life on the molten Mearsth will be a wee bit challenging for a few megayears, but freeze-dried microbes returning on far-flung ejecta will eventually prosper there, in an etymologically unpoisoned environment.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:17 am UTC

keithl wrote:On the other hand, making Mars and Earth match exactly only requires smacking them together into one combined planet. Life on the molten Mearsth will be a wee bit challenging for a few megayears, but freeze-dried microbes returning on far-flung ejecta will eventually prosper there, in an etymologically unpoisoned environment.

That sounds like the backstory to a great D&D campaign. Million-year-old magical artifacts and strange elder gods powerful enough to survive the formation of a planet, buried at depths well beyond the usual Temple-of-Doom levels, until the new world cools down and life begins again...

yakkoTDI

Postby yakkoTDI » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:36 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:I vote for making Pluto a better planet.

What?! Pluto is the only planet with heart!

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:32 am UTC

Ming the Merciless for President (or head of the EPA).

duodecimus

Postby duodecimus » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:22 am UTC

Isn't the main problem getting rid of all the water?

Gonna be pretty difficult to haul it all out of the atmosphere.

Hey, maybe we could do it using those nuclear-bomb-parachute style ships and trigger a global winter at the same time!

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:02 am UTC

nomaduk wrote:
DanD wrote:Areforming. At least that would be my choice. The etymology doesn't quite line up, but Terra forming is making it Earth like, so Ares forming would be making it Mars like.

As noted, the etymology isn't right. Terra is Latin, Ares is Greek (and mixing Latin and Greek is always a bad idea, qv 'television').

Mixing Latin into any language is a bad idea, but I guess it's too late for English :P
or most other languages

You mean making Pluto a better dwarf planet.
—◯-◯ FG Discord

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:31 pm UTC

I may have mentioned this before, but this comic has randomly reminded me of one of my favourite words: infundibuliform.

That is all; please carry on.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:52 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:

No, it's Ok as a dwarf planet, so far as I'm currently aware. I'd like to make it a better planet.

First, let's sweep its orbit clear We can probably even use Neptune for something else, because nobody actually needs Neptune, do they? Not sure what we need to do with Charon, Nyx, Hydra, et al.

(We can keep the heart. And why not have Ultima Thule in a highly eccentric orbit so that it comes close every Christmas?)

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:59 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
somitomi wrote:

No, it's Ok as a dwarf planet, so far as I'm currently aware. I'd like to make it a better planet.

I see. Have you called Elon Musk about this?
First, let's sweep its orbit clear We can probably even use Neptune for something else, because nobody actually needs Neptune, do they? Not sure what we need to do with Charon, Nyx, Hydra, et al.

Well, every planet needs at least one moon. Where else would you keep cosmonaut footprints?
—◯-◯ FG Discord

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:04 pm UTC

nomaduk wrote:mixing Latin and Greek is always a bad idea

It could be worse. Consider, for example, "megatsunami". :)
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:59 pm UTC

xtifr wrote:
nomaduk wrote:mixing Latin and Greek is always a bad idea

It could be worse. Consider, for example, "megatsunami". :)

If you follow that link and then use the language switcher thingy to jump to the equivalent Japanese page, you find 巨大津波, pronounced "kyodai tsunami," meaning: "gigantic tsunami." Doesn't quite have the punch of the Greek/Japanese hybrid. :)

zjxs

Postby zjxs » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:06 am UTC

somitomi wrote:
nomaduk wrote:

Mixing Latin into any language is a bad idea, but I guess it's too late for English :P
or most other languages

Mixing Martian into English is an even worse idea.

speising

Postby speising » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:21 pm UTC

zjxs wrote:Mixing Martian into English is an even worse idea.

I don't grok that.

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:25 pm UTC

speising wrote:

I don't grok that.

Even though I wasn't directly quoted, probably a reference to my earlier suggestion of "Barsoomiforming".

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:27 pm UTC

Heimhenge wrote:
speising wrote:

I don't grok that.

Even though I wasn't directly quoted, probably a reference to my earlier suggestion of "Barsoomiforming".

:whoosh:

"Grok" is a Martian word.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:51 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Heimhenge wrote:
speising wrote:

I don't grok that.

:whoosh:

"Grok" is a Martian word.

I thought it was Vulcan for "to fully understand and grasp all aspects of" as a transitive verb. 'Must've been been because the example given was "Spock groks."
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:24 am UTC

Archgeek wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:"Grok" is a Martian word.

I thought it was Vulcan for "to fully understand and grasp all aspects of" as a transitive verb. 'Must've been been because the example given was "Spock groks."

That meaning is correct, but not the language (or source work, I guess). It's from Heinlein's "Stranger In A Strange Land", in which the protagonist is a Human raised on Mars by indigenous Martians. The older sense of "grok" in the story was something more like "eat" or "consume", but a derived sense of it was something like "digest" or "absorb", including in the sense of the digestion or absorption of information, to fully understand it and integrate it into your being. IIRC a Martian custom included "grokking" the dead, in the literal earlier sense (eating them), but also symbolically in the latter more abstract sense.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:26 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Archgeek wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:"Grok" is a Martian word.

That meaning is correct, but not the language (or source work, I guess). It's from Heinlein's "Stranger In A Strange Land", in which the protagonist is a Human raised on Mars by indigenous Martians. The older sense of "grok" in the story was something more like "eat" or "consume", but a derived sense of it was something like "digest" or "absorb", including in the sense of the digestion or absorption of information, to fully understand it and integrate it into your being. IIRC a Martian custom included "grokking" the dead, in the literal earlier sense (eating them), but also symbolically in the latter more abstract sense.

"Grok" means "drink". Which makes sense for a planet short on water and with an extensive canal system - and fits with the rest of the Martian culture and its treatment of water as sacred.

cmos1138

Postby cmos1138 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:06 pm UTC

It always bugs me when terraforming is used do describe transforming the environment of earth to match another planet.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:56 pm UTC

Transforming the environment of earth to match another planet can accurately be described as terrorforming.

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:13 pm UTC

cmos1138 wrote:It always bugs me when terraforming is used do describe transforming the environment of earth to match another planet.

Then it will probably really distress you to learn than Jack Williamson, who is credited with coining the term, actually published a novel named Terraforming Earth. :)

(To be fair, the book was about far-future efforts to make Earth-then more like Earth-now, i.e. to restore habitability.)

In any case, words mean what they mean. Does it bug you when "terrific" is used to describe things that don't inspire terror? Or when "awful" is used for thing that don't fill you with awe? Otherwise, you're going to have to clarify just what it is that bugs you about this specific case.
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

NumberGuy

Postby NumberGuy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:10 am UTC

xtifr wrote:Does it bug you when "terrific" is used to describe things that don't inspire terror?

Of course it bugs me. It scares the sh*t out of me. It's quite terrific.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”