2103: "Midcontinent Rift System"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jello34543

2103: "Midcontinent Rift System"

Postby jello34543 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:08 pm UTC

Title text: The best wedge issue is an actual wedge.

I was imagining something like "The south really means it this time!" This is more like Canada trying to keep USians out.

rmsgrey

Re: 2103: "Midcontinent Rift System"

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:20 pm UTC

I'd have thought that something that split red from blue would be more popular. At least with general voters; possibly not with people who believe that their position relies on exploiting the other colour...

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:37 pm UTC

Vote for BHG!

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:49 pm UTC

Are the Great Lakes the main visible mark of that failed rift?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

DanD

Postby DanD » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:08 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Are the Great Lakes the main visible mark of that failed rift?

Only indirectly. The lakes are glacial formations. Much of the geology around and under the lakes, especially Superior, comes from the rift formation, and the exact shapes carved out by the glaciers are at least somewhat controlled by that, by they aren't actual rift lakes (as in being formed directly by tectonic activity).

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:53 pm UTC

DanD wrote:

Only indirectly. The lakes are glacial formations. Much of the geology around and under the lakes, especially Superior, comes from the rift formation, and the exact shapes carved out by the glaciers are at least somewhat controlled by that, by they aren't actual rift lakes (as in being formed directly by tectonic activity).

And notice that the five US "Great Lakes" are only the southern end of a much longer string of big lakes extending through Lakes Winnipeg, Manitoba, Athabasca, Great Slave and Great Bear. (Look at a globe instead of a flat map for better perspective.)

So the rifting of North America has proceeded a lot farther than the initial comic would suggest.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:06 pm UTC

// runs to buy hectares of farmland, to be re-sold as "about to be waterfront" homes.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:06 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:So the rifting of North America has proceeded a lot farther than the initial comic would suggest.
…thanks to BHG's ancestors.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:59 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:// runs to buy hectares of farmland, to be re-sold as "about to be waterfront" homes.

Any plan endorsed by Lex Luthor is a plan I can get behind.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:25 pm UTC

pkcommando wrote:Any plan endorsed by Lex Luthor is a plan I can get behind.

If you're going to grab a cartload, see if they have some black forest cake and make sure you get some variety.

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:26 pm UTC

After "Lucifer's Hammer" this is probably my favorite disaster novels.

It starts with the dogs. They won't stop barking. . . . And then the earth shrugs--8.9 on the Richter scale in the world's biggest earthquake since 1755. It hits New Madrid, Missouri, a sleepy town on the Mississippi. Seismologists had predicted the disaster . . . but no one listened.

Within minutes, there is nothing but chaos and ruin as America's heartland falls into the nightmare known as the Rift--a fault line in the earth that wrenchingly exposes the fractures in American society itself. As a strange white mist smelling of sulfur rises from the crevassed ground, the real terror begins for the survivors,
Nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. - A. Hamilton

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:11 am UTC

Hat slogan: Make the Great Lakes Greater! ...again.

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:15 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:
DanD wrote:

And notice that the five US "Great Lakes" are only the southern end of a much longer string of big lakes extending through Lakes Winnipeg, Manitoba, Athabasca, Great Slave and Great Bear. (Look at a globe instead of a flat map for better perspective.)

So the rifting of North America has proceeded a lot farther than the initial comic would suggest.

I say break off everything east of the Mississippi and secede from the union to form WUSS (Western United Seceded States). And no, we would not be a wuss. :)

thunk

Postby thunk » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:18 am UTC

We can now extract more valuable mineral deposits from Iowa. Who needs corn anyway?
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

dtilque

Postby dtilque » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:11 am UTC

Years ago, I remember reading an SF story about a massive earth movement in the central part of the US. I'm fairly sure it was written before plate techtonics were accepted by geologists and it may have been inspired by the '64 Alaska quake.

The story didn't have characters or a plot. It was just a description of a major subsistence of land in the central US, from the Gulf Coast of Texas to S Dakota and from western Missouri to eastern Colorado. In one fell swoop, that area dropped below sea level (which would be a drop of anywhere from 2500 ft to 5000 ft) and let in the sea. So the result when the dust settled was a second Mediterranean Sea. Of course, such a subsistence is impossible.

I wish I could remember the author/title.
“This world is a strange madhouse. Currently, every coachman and every waiter is debating whether relativity theory is correct. Belief in this matter depends on political party affiliation.”
-- Albert Einstein, 12 September 1920

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:20 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:I'd have thought that something that split red from blue would be more popular. At least with general voters; possibly not with people who believe that their position relies on exploiting the other colour...

There's a SB thread about that, although it doesn't involve an actual geophysical split.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=122108

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:44 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:I'd have thought that something that split red from blue would be more popular. At least with general voters; possibly not with people who believe that their position relies on exploiting the other colour...

The problem is it doesn't do that. The split goes right down the middle of the "red", doing nothing to separate it from the "blue". Meanwhile, if he were to make his platform for sending California into the sea, I'd probably be all for it.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:21 pm UTC

sotanaht wrote:

The problem is it doesn't do that. The split goes right down the middle of the "red", doing nothing to separate it from the "blue". Meanwhile, if he were to make his platform for sending California into the sea, I'd probably be all for it.

Sorry, my wording was ambiguous. For "something", read "some other division".

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:22 pm UTC

sotanaht wrote:Meanwhile, if he were to make his platform for sending California into the sea, I'd probably be all for it.

You're workin' on it, alright? You're workin' on it.

Cali_plus_60.png

Ain't gonna happen overnight, but you're workin' on it. You even got the Chinese workin' on it.
Zohar wrote:You don't know what you're talking about. Please spare me your quote sniping and general obliviousness.

CorruptUser wrote:Just admit that you were wrong ... and your entire life, cyberspace and meatspace both, would be orders of magnitude more enjoyable for you and others around you.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:20 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
sotanaht wrote:

Sorry, my wording was ambiguous. For "something", read "some other division".

Didn't they already try that? Not physically, but politically at least. I thought congress and the US military disagreed.

RAGBRAIvet

Postby RAGBRAIvet » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:21 pm UTC

I see BHG is channelling Archimedes ... Δώσε μου μια θέση να σταθώ, και θα μετακινήσω τη γη.
(Give me a place to stand, and I will move the Earth)

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:19 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:
DanD wrote:

It's the edge of the Canadian Shield, isn't it? Can't say I was previously familiar with the idea that it was actually a potential rift.

Dave Rogers

Postby Dave Rogers » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:43 pm UTC

dtilque wrote:Years ago, I remember reading an SF story about a massive earth movement in the central part of the US. I'm fairly sure it was written before plate techtonics were accepted by geologists and it may have been inspired by the '64 Alaska quake.

The story didn't have characters or a plot. It was just a description of a major subsistence of land in the central US, from the Gulf Coast of Texas to S Dakota and from western Missouri to eastern Colorado. In one fell swoop, that area dropped below sea level (which would be a drop of anywhere from 2500 ft to 5000 ft) and let in the sea. So the result when the dust settled was a second Mediterranean Sea. Of course, such a subsistence is impossible.

The_Great_Nebraska_Sea, Allan Danzig. I have it in an anthology somewhere. It's a great story.

Dave

dtilque

Postby dtilque » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:37 pm UTC

Dave Rogers wrote:
dtilque wrote:Years ago, I remember reading an SF story about a massive earth movement in the central part of the US. I'm fairly sure it was written before plate techtonics were accepted by geologists and it may have been inspired by the '64 Alaska quake.

The_Great_Nebraska_Sea, Allan Danzig. I have it in an anthology somewhere. It's a great story.

Dave

Thank you. I figured someone would know it. Looks like it was published the year before the Alaska quake, so that wasn't an inspiration.
“This world is a strange madhouse. Currently, every coachman and every waiter is debating whether relativity theory is correct. Belief in this matter depends on political party affiliation.”

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:22 pm UTC

dtilque wrote:Looks like it was published the year before the Alaska quake, so that wasn't an inspiration.
Or it was, but the other way round!?!

:P

mfc

Postby mfc » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:17 am UTC

Can anyone explain the 'So am I. So am I' in the final panel? I'm not from the USA ...

dtilque

Postby dtilque » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:54 pm UTC

mfc wrote:Can anyone explain the 'So am I. So am I' in the final panel? I'm not from the USA ...

Electoral polls are usually done state by state. What the advisor is saying is that BHG's support among voters in several states in central part of the country is lower than expected, i.e. "weakness in the Midwest". BHG is agreeing with that, but his agreement is based on the physics of the rifts. That is, he's referring to the weakness in the Earth's crust in the Midwest.

So have I sufficiently killed this joke?

jpers36

Postby jpers36 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:00 pm UTC

SuicideJunkie wrote:

If you're going to grab a cartload, see if they have some black forest cake and make sure you get some variety.

Like forty cakes? 40 cakes? As many as four tens?

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:15 pm UTC

jpers36 wrote:
SuicideJunkie wrote:

Like forty cakes? 40 cakes? As many as four tens?

That sounds terrible!
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”