2135: M87 Black Hole Size Comparison

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Archgeek

Re: 2135: M87 Black Hole Size Comparison

Postby Archgeek » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:09 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Xenomortis wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messier_87#Supermassive_black_hole wrote:The telescope's astronomers proposed to name the black hole Pōwehi, meaning "embellished dark source of unending creation" in the Hawaiian language.

What terrible calamities befell you, what horrible darkness fills your history, for that to be conveyed in three syllables?
English "God" - Creator of the heaven, the world, and man; source of love and justice, maintainer of existence.
Ancient Greek "Khaos" - The first thing to exist, the gaping void holding heaven and Earth unseperated.
Chinese "Tao" - The non thing which creates and orders all thing, of which we can only truly understand things through understand the path that it creates.

After a brief and superficial overview of Hawaiian mythology, it appears "darkness" doesn't connotate "hidden, dangerous, evil", but "spiritual", and (wild guess) "It's finally not so %&(*ing hot outside!"

As for "source of unending creation" -- you try spending centuries or millennia living on and next to a chain of active volcanoes and see if you still use three entire syllables for that.
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:07 pm UTC

Xenomortis wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messier_87#Supermassive_black_hole wrote:The telescope's astronomers proposed to name the black hole Pōwehi, meaning "embellished dark source of unending creation" in the Hawaiian language.

What terrible calamities befell you, what horrible darkness fills your history, for that to be conveyed in three syllables?

I think you're confusing a definition for a translation.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:07 pm UTC

nytimes.com wrote:It stems from “pō,” which means powerful, unfathomable and ceaseless creation, and “wehi,” an honorific befitting someone who would wear a crown, Professor Kimura said in an interview on Friday.

Wiktionary wrote:
1. night
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”