2146: "Waiting for the But"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

cellocgw

2146: "Waiting for the But"

Postby cellocgw » Mon May 06, 2019 5:06 pm UTC

Title-text = " Listen, I'm not a fan of the Spanish Inquisition OR predatorymulti-level marketing schemes..."

Just sitting here waiting for the "butt" jokes to show up.

Also, why is the url link http but the img reference is https?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

The Moomin

Re: 2146: "Waiting for the But"

Postby The Moomin » Mon May 06, 2019 5:23 pm UTC

But it's milk before cereal/tea/jam on a scone.
I'm alive because the cats are alive.
The cats are alive because I'm alive.
Specious.

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Mon May 06, 2019 5:32 pm UTC

[what she said] ... BUT, I still think the most dramatic way to take out Maduro would be to train a Saint Bernard carrying a flaming Molotov cocktail to jump into his limo during a parade.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Mon May 06, 2019 6:12 pm UTC

The Moomin wrote:But it's milk before cereal/tea/jam on a scone.

Is milk before cereal an actual thing? Some people must have very large cereal bowls or very splashy floors.

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Mon May 06, 2019 6:43 pm UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:

Is milk before cereal an actual thing? Some people must have very large cereal bowls or very splashy floors.
I like it, but only for the special case of the original Shredded Wheat. You know the big ass ones that you can only fit 3 in the bowl if you turn them sideways? You can let them soak up just enough milk if you place them in gently and wait the right amount of time. Doing the milk afterwards just randomizes the process.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

Reka

Postby Reka » Mon May 06, 2019 9:46 pm UTC

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Mon May 06, 2019 10:42 pm UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:

Some flake-form cereals can be predisposed to acts of lactic treachery: you pour the milk on a flake whose geometry sends a portion of the calcium-bearing cataract straight out of the bowl, and sometimes onto your shirt.
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue May 07, 2019 12:12 am UTC

First drink the milk, then add cereal. You really want to lubricate your throat before stuffing down one of those shredded wheat bricks.

cellocgw wrote:Also, why is the url link http but the img reference is https?

Did you use chridd's topic generator (does it work today?) ? Any xkcd URL I open is forcibly upgraded to HTTPS.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Tue May 07, 2019 12:44 am UTC

Archgeek wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:

Some flake-form cereals can be predisposed to acts of lactic treachery: you pour the milk on a flake whose geometry sends a portion of the calcium-bearing cataract straight out of the bowl, and sometimes onto your shirt.

That is a good point. I have noticed milk bouncing off corn flakes a bit. I still think pouring the cereal on top of a bowl of milk is a catastrophe waiting to happen, but maybe people who pour the milk in first use a lot less milk than I do.

It's like the opening banana thing. The only way I can square the claim made by little-Endians that it's "easier" to peel from that side is to imagine they are eating extremely ripe bananas. Because the bananas I eat are a thousand times easier to peel from the big end, and (nearly) all commercial bananas in the U.S. are genetically identical.

Mjb

Postby Mjb » Tue May 07, 2019 1:24 am UTC

... but the board has rejected your funding request / expense report / thesis proposal.
... now get out of the way or I will be forced to make an exception.
... but ratings are down, so you will drive this overladen carriage while chased by this fire-breathing komodo dragon. Don't worry, the dragon will be fine.

In the constructive spirit of "yes, and":

... so the interstate highway system has to go.
... so the new strain will oxidize gasoline before humans get a chance to do anything stupid with it.
... and we need your donation.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Tue May 07, 2019 5:44 am UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:
Archgeek wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:

That is a good point. I have noticed milk bouncing off corn flakes a bit. I still think pouring the cereal on top of a bowl of milk is a catastrophe waiting to happen, but maybe people who pour the milk in first use a lot less milk than I do.

I can get two bowls of cereal with one of those little square boxes of milk. I generally put the first bowl together cereal first, but for the second I put in all the milk that's left and then add the amount of cereal it takes to use it up. To do the second bowl any other way risks either having dry cereal around the edges of the bowl, or too much milk left over that you then have to drink like a slob to finish it off.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue May 07, 2019 6:23 am UTC

I also do cereal + milk + more cereal to use up the leftover milk (repeat as necessary or until full, then drink remaining milk).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue May 07, 2019 7:34 am UTC

I'm just here to say that the title of this topic was cut off at "bu..." on the front page and I was wondering why I don't remember the comic titled "Waiting for the Bus".
—◯-◯ FG Discord

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Tue May 07, 2019 9:47 am UTC

OK, listen. I sympathise with the way people have gotten used to relying on cars for everything in modern society, and are incapable of even getting around their immediate vicinity without them, and I understand what a painful undertaking it would be to adjust to a different way of functioning if cars were no longer an option, but...
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Tue May 07, 2019 12:34 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:
Archgeek wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:

I can get two bowls of cereal with one of those little square boxes of milk. I generally put the first bowl together cereal first, but for the second I put in all the milk that's left and then add the amount of cereal it takes to use it up. To do the second bowl any other way risks either having dry cereal around the edges of the bowl, or too much milk left over that you then have to drink like a slob to finish it off.

Drinking milk from square, 8 oz paper cartons really takes me back to first grade. But you know, if you have a few ounces milk leftover, you can always drink it. You don't *have* to pour it into a bowl and add cereal.

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Tue May 07, 2019 2:12 pm UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:
da Doctah wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:
Archgeek wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:

Drinking milk from square, 8 oz paper cartons really takes me back to first grade. But you know, if you have a few ounces milk leftover, you can always drink it. You don't *have* to pour it into a bowl and add cereal.

The latest in cereal innovation I have seen is small cardboard cubes containing cereal that you open and pour the milk directly into the cube. This is the cereal companies telling you directly to stop messing up and putting milk first or we'll take away all your bowls from you until you learn to behave.
I'm alive because the cats are alive.
The cats are alive because I'm alive.
Specious.

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Tue May 07, 2019 2:15 pm UTC

Has anybody ever seen a movie where the credits say "Only six animals were harmed in the making of this film"?
Nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. - A. Hamilton

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Tue May 07, 2019 3:29 pm UTC

Keyman wrote:Has anybody ever seen a movie where the credits say "Only six Animals were harmed in the making of this film"?
That unreleased Muppet Movie was brutal. It is still sad that the rest of Electric Mayhem don't even rate a mention.

Daggoth

Postby Daggoth » Wed May 08, 2019 2:02 am UTC

I was just finishing my screenplay about a madman who likes to drive flaming trucks into barns.
Randall get out of my head!

Keyman wrote:Has anybody ever seen a movie where the credits say "Only six animals were harmed in the making of this film"?

One adam sandler movie has at the end one fish got hurt but he's getting better.

FOARP

Postby FOARP » Wed May 08, 2019 8:48 am UTC

"Everything before the word 'but' is horse s**t" - Jon Snow/GRR Martin

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed May 08, 2019 1:20 pm UTC

The Moomin wrote:
The latest in cereal innovation I have seen is small cardboard cubes containing cereal that you open and pour the milk directly into the cube. This is the cereal companies telling you directly to stop messing up and putting milk first or we'll take away all your bowls from you until you learn to behave.

Kids these days... I remember those from 1970.
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed May 08, 2019 1:23 pm UTC

Keyman wrote:Has anybody ever seen a movie where the credits say "Only six animals were harmed in the making of this film"?

In actual factual reality truth, a significant number of horses had to be put down during the filming of HBO's "Luck" series. They claimed that's why the series was cancelled, but #iseewhatididthere I think it's because the ratings sucked.
Former OTTer

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Wed May 08, 2019 3:44 pm UTC

The Moomin wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:
da Doctah wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:
Archgeek wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:

They need to sell cubes of milk that you open and pour the cereal directly into the cube.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed May 08, 2019 4:23 pm UTC

I find myself compelled to say that, unlike Cueball in the comic, I prefer it the more the preamble stretches on because...
Spoiler:
I like big "but"s and I cannot lie.

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Wed May 08, 2019 4:31 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:I find myself compelled to say that, unlike Cueball in the comic, I prefer it the more the preamble stretches on because...
Spoiler:

Are your siblings able to gainsay this?
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Wed May 08, 2019 7:25 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
The Moomin wrote:

Kids these days... I remember those from 1970.

I have a vague memory of them in the mid-late '60s. Some elderly relatives (who were then younger than I am now) who didn't have the need of cereal that children would like but kept them for when we or our cousins would visit.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Wed May 08, 2019 8:32 pm UTC

Archgeek wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:I find myself compelled to say that, unlike Cueball in the comic, I prefer it the more the preamble stretches on because...
Spoiler:

Are your siblings able to gainsay this?

His other brothers can’t deny.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Thu May 09, 2019 3:05 am UTC

I don't know about cereal cubes, but I do know the proper shape for the cereal container is a cuboid of some sort. Superellipsoidal generic cereals containers are just there for parents to disappoint their children.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”