0087: "Velociraptors"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Which are you watching for?

Zombies
36%
Velociraptors
64%

Total votes: 256

el stubbso

Re: "Velociraptors" Discussion

Postby el stubbso » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:55 am UTC

zombies are the real threat, we have no statistics to prpare for theitr arrival, at least we know that velocirators have a top speed of 25ms^-1, they take 5 minutes to open the first door and they know no fear. If zombies attacked, we'd be screwed.

Zak

Postby Zak » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:36 am UTC

*Ahem* Raptors are immune to zombiefication:
Spoiler:
8p28.png
8p28.png (171.49 KiB) Viewed 6493 times
*waggles eyebrows*

xzachtheman

Postby xzachtheman » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:41 pm UTC

true comments on a friends face book status :
A is wondering why Smokey is a bear. Why not an octopus? just putting it out there... 3:45pm - 9 Comments
B at 3:48pm January 2:smokey the octopus........no
A at 3:49pm January 2:and why not? the more arms he has the more buckets of water he can carry!
B at 3:49pm January 2:what about smokey the caterpillar
A at 3:50pm January 2:oh, even better!!! but the best is definetely smokey the milipede.
C at 4:06pm January 2:i think it should be smokey the velociraptor.
A at 4:07pm January 2:COOL!!!!whats a velociraptor?
C at 4:15pm January 2:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velociraptor
C at 4:16pm January 2:http://healthstones.com/dinosaurdata/v/velociraptor/velociraptor.jpg
imagine that saying HEY KIDS, ONLY YOU CAN PREVENT FOREST FIRES!
A at 4:17pm January 2:oh... good call leo, that would be crazy awsome!
me at 4:59pm January 3:no.. velociraptors are my #1 fear...

The_Dean_Man

Postby The_Dean_Man » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:24 am UTC

xzachtheman wrote:true comments on a friends face book status :
A is wondering why Smokey is a bear. Why not an octopus? just putting it out there... 3:45pm - 9 Comments
A at 3:49pm January 2:and why not? the more arms he has the more buckets of water he can carry!
A at 3:50pm January 2:oh, even better!!! but the best is definetely smokey the milipede.
C at 4:16pm January 2:http://healthstones.com/dinosaurdata/v/velociraptor/velociraptor.jpg

ok yea those idiots on facebook... lol i think randal is messin w/ us i mean comeon humans have the numbers and the weapons i think the velociraptors would team up w/ the zombies and kill us all then fight eachother... hey it would work :|

Kitsusyn

Postby Kitsusyn » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:20 pm UTC

xzachtheman wrote:true comments on a friends face book status :

So your name is Leo?
Get off my Internet.

Ajtucker22

Postby Ajtucker22 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:53 am UTC

Ok, i joined specifically for this thread, and will probably post more often. But first I need to say this

There are many ways for the zombie virus to spread, as long as it hits your blood stream, you'll go under within between a week or a few days. Zombies dont rot, not normally. The virus scares off all living things, including the bacteria that would normall destroy and decay the body. Therefore, the only thing that would really stop a zombie is the cold, but then you risk being injured up north. Or you destroy the head. But when entire cities are infected, you'll need help. Competent help. Competent people are rare these days.....

Raptors cant open bulb doors, not that we know of. Though harder to kill and a bit more deadly, seeing a few is probably your main problem, as packs of raptors would destroy each other, so we're talking 4-5 tops, as opposed to what was once the entire easter sea board. A shotgun will fend you off. Heck, bait works great, too. They're still animals, and though they have thinking skills on par with dolphins, dolphins still do back flips for us for food. A raptor will easily prefer bait (like a small dog) over something that will struggle. This will be their downfall.

Now, if a raptor eats a zombie and becomes infected..... well, thats a whole new story.

Ammonsa

Postby Ammonsa » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:10 pm UTC

Ok, all you guys saying that Zombies are relatively harmless because they are slow and all. WRONG.

The reason Zombies are so deadly is best expressed by author Max Brooks who wrote the very useful Zombie survival guide and the very horrifying WWZ.

"They scare me more than any other fictional creature out there because they break all the rules. Werewolves and vampires and giant sharks, you have to go look for them. My attitude is if you go looking for them, no sympathy. But zombies come to you. Zombies don't act like a predator; they act like a virus, and that is the core of my terror. A predator is intelligent by nature, and knows not to overhunt its feeding ground. A virus will just continue to spread, infect and consume, no matter what happens. It's the mindlessness behind it."

However, WWZ tells of how humans fight back against the Zombies and eventually win. Though it be at great loss, they win. While Raptors don't multiply the way Zombies do, they are fast and could take over the world in one night. And if Raptors gain a foothold, you will never beat them.

All in all, both terrifyingly horrible.

FoolishOwl

Re:

Postby FoolishOwl » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:37 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:I am totally going to think about raptors every time a crow looks down at me and says "graw!" now. As in, "there's probably a dozen more in hiding waiting to attack".
(yeah, my school campus has crows, and dark forrests, and graveyards)
....Did anyone else have that 3D dinosaurs computer game, 'bout 10 or 11 years ago? There was this one part that was a maze that had giant, humming bugs, and ...not velociraptors that would jump out at you if you went the wrong way. I'm going to have to look that up.

Perhaps the original "Unreal"? The principal enemies, the Skaarj, were sort of lizard/insect people.

I loved the style of that game, and was disappointed that the later Unreal Tournament games were all bright colors and bodybuilding magazine artwork.

Xomeron

Postby Xomeron » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:06 am UTC

I'm completely ready for Velociraptors, Zombies, or Microsoft employees. I keep a pair of Katana by my bed, just like Stallman.

feedyourhead

Postby feedyourhead » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:15 pm UTC

i think the velociraptors would team up w/ the zombies and kill us all then fight eachother

I just had a dream last night about being surrounded by zombies and then Necromonger-esque aliens from Chronicles of Riddick teaming up with them. Why is no one considering this as a possible attack plan? The buggers could be up there in the abyss of the universe developing a virus that would create zombies. And should that happen, there is definitely a possibility of zombie-velociraptors . . . an appalling thought to be sure.

But really, in the fight of classic zombies vs. velociraptors, I'm far more terrified of raptors. It's just when the virus eventually mutates will shit really hit the fan.

D3vinsawhog

Postby D3vinsawhog » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:52 pm UTC

While still a threat, I don't think Velociraptor is the Dromaeosaurid that we all should be worrying about, I'd rather worry about Deinonychus or Utahraptor, Speaking of zombies, it depends what kind we are talking about. The slow kind that are just dead people that can move, or the ones that have appeared in videogames and stuff that are faster? I don't know if a Raptor (any kind) can hold their own against any of the Left 4 Dead zombies. :)

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:33 pm UTC

D3vinsawhog wrote:I don't know if a Raptor (any kind) can hold their own against any of the Left 4 Dead zombies. :)
Unless the zombies can fly, they really don't stand a chance.
Spoiler:
F-22
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

lesmith11

Postby lesmith11 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:23 pm UTC

It should always be assumed that zombies can run unless proven otherwise, also, double tap is your friend ;)

Rackum

Postby Rackum » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:53 pm UTC

I'm surprised no one has even hinted at the far, far greater threat of zombies riding raptors ... and ninja zombies at that.

And then, of course, there's always the danger of the robot pirates getting involved; if that happens, we're all screwed.

** I know it's not a velociraptor in the picture (couldn't find an image of that), but I think you get the idea.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Re: 0087: "Velociraptors"

Postby Soupspoon » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:02 pm UTC

(First, a belated modern-era version of the thread-starter template. Just for the necroing context.)
Spoiler:

It's good to be velociraptor-phobic, but you must also remember to be casso-wary.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”