0320: "28-Hour Day"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

a386

Re:

Postby a386 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:35 am UTC

Toad008 wrote:Haven't posted in some time, but I had to after this comic.

I am following a sleep pattern called Everyman sleep pattern, I sleep 3 hours at "night" and 3 naps of about 20 minutes throughout the day. It's easier to fit into most peoples normal life. I'm on day 135 or so, and I have been loving it. While that sort of sleep schedule does not work for everyone, if it can work for you, I'd recommend it.

As a self-promotional tool, I guess I'll link to my blog about it. There's also a lot of good information on all forms of polyphasic sleep (uberman, everyman, and others) in the google group.

I need to try Uberman eventually, as I hear it's pyschologically interesting. No real seperation between days. Maybe once I can fit it in my schedule I will. Also as advice to anyone thinking about trying any of these sleep schedules, there is an adjustment period, during which you will be less functional than normal, so don't try to do it just for exams, or anything like that. I'd say it took me about a month to get adjusted to what I think was enough. Everyman has longer adjustment than Uberman, but you can actually remain functional for the adjustment, just not 100%, while I hear uberman recommends not even driving during adjustment.

ah man you beat me to the punch! still, http://www.puredoxyk.com/index.php/2007 ... -everyman/
and
http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?nod ... ode_id=124
were the links i was going to post. i really want to try uberman myself, too. i've actually given both schedules a shot, with all sorts of tweaks applied to Everyman, but i think i'm too young for them to really work. a growing body needs the downtime, not just the REM cycles. i think. maybe i just don't have the willpower to follow through on these schedules. The short time i did try uberman for though was great, it really did feel good to have so much more time in a day. and i did it with a few friends, i think that's vital: 4 - 8 in the morning can get pretty lonely.

scowdich wrote:I'd really like to try this...I feel like it'd fit my general sleep habits much more comfortably. So let's see...what do I need...
-An alarm clock with 7 alarms
-Some good blackout curtains
-No roommate
-No goddamn classes

is your computer in the room you sleep in? http://www.geocities.com/jakemb21/

pKp

Re: 28-hour day discussion

Postby pKp » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:04 pm UTC

I am currently on Everyman, day 3. A bit tired, guess I have to get completely used to it.
Experience is a thing you can't have for nothing - Oscar wilde

Azraelle

Postby Azraelle » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:09 pm UTC

I registered an account specifically to comment on this strip.

I keep trying to do a sleep schedule like this, but it's always foiled by that pesky "normal world" everyone around me keeps yammering about. Right now though, I'm not working, and trying desperately to get some freelance things going to support me (probably won't happen successfully for a while though) and I've been slipping into this mode of sleep. Ever since I read the Book of Ti'Ana (a Myst novel) I've been fascinated with a 30-hour day or something close, but never actually did the math to figure out how to keep a weekly rhythm. I just might have to print out this comic and keep it posted somewhere handy.
Obligatory self-promoting signature starts here.
Bristled - surprise, it's a comic.
Thank you for your understanding. We now return you to your regularly-scheduled end of my post.

ilanbg

0320: "28-Hour Day"

Postby ilanbg » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:27 am UTC

I don't know if this is orthodox—if it's not, I deeply apologize—but I am looking for a specific xkcd comic and I haven't been able to find it, even by searching for it.

I don't remember the specifics of the comic very well, but the concept is that one of the characters is explaining the idea of some sleep cycle that only requires sleeping four hours at a time, or something similar to that. This causes the person to sleep at erratic hours throughout the week but is supposedly more efficient.

Can anyone link me to this comic?

Thank you in advance...

Thunderbird4!
It's ketchup, I swear!

Re: Need help finding a specific comic...

Postby Thunderbird4! » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:35 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/320/

I believe that is the one you are looking for.
d33p wrote:xkcd: We keep people from jumping off of shit

mudge wrote:Taking cat-proximity laws out of lolcats is like taking friction out of sex.

ilanbg

Postby ilanbg » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:50 am UTC

Yes! Thank you so much!

DeadCatX2

Postby DeadCatX2 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:50 pm UTC

I think this is a sign of a somewhat larger problem. I find myself quite often trying to use google to find specific xkcd comics. Is there (or could there be) some sort of index which lists each comic and its title, or perhaps a page of thumbnails?

(I know the xkcd godsmods tend to tell people off whenever they have suggestions)

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

The built-in search actually works very well. It searches transcripts and descriptions of the comics.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

pinkgothic

Postby pinkgothic » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:06 pm UTC

Several strips aren't transcribed, though, unfortunately.
Stuff: own scribblings; favourite mewsic: luxuria & @440; underrated game

Jiggsy

Postby Jiggsy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:04 pm UTC

To be honest, i haven't actually found searching for comics that difficult.

I normally just google "xkcd <search term>"

I was just trying it to get the link for a site that has a fairly good archive of everything thats been here so far, but all i got when i searched was the xkcd site itself, so not helping me either way there.
Oh, Miss Pacman, I would sex that bow right off your head. Eat those dots you naughty, naughty girl.- The Todd

Pants

Postby Pants » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:37 am UTC

Jiggsy is right; for good or ill, google knows all and is smart enough to put 2 and 2 together. Especially with the extensive annotation provided the the rabble right here on these boards, just about any tangentially relevant search term will turn up the exact comic.

Eg:
<xkcd sleep cycle> turns up the discussion forum giving the term "28 hour"
<xkcd 28 hour> turns up the comic

In fact, if you think about it, certain words on the internet have become so routinized as to almost function like operators when you put them into Google. Terms like <wikipedia XYZ> or <imdb XYZ> essentially return not a search result but a specific page, as if you had issued an explicit command.

(Edit: ...it's to the point where those of us with firefox get rather cranky when we actually have to type in an honest to goodness URL anymore.)

Hexadecimator

Postby Hexadecimator » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:25 am UTC

Pants wrote:In fact, if you think about it, certain words on the internet have become so routinized as to almost function like operators when you put them into Google. Terms like <wikipedia XYZ> or <imdb XYZ> essentially return not a search result but a specific page, as if you had issued an explicit command.

(Edit: ...it's to the point where those of us with firefox get rather cranky when we actually have to type in an honest to goodness URL anymore.)
You don't even need "wikipedia." "wiki" is sufficient.
I have "I'm feeling lucky" hotkeyed for exactly this reason. Google is so much faster than typing a url, or worse, typing a url then searching for a specific page.

Here are some statistics for you all. On my own computer alone (I also use computers at school), I query google 6.10 times/day on average, 830 searches in the past 136 days. This does not include searches actually typed into google.com :P.
Full analysis of this data is on its way (eventually), but this reminds me that I never did upgrade my script to record full timestamps instead of just dates.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat May 24, 2008 10:03 am UTC

Thread necromancy!

So, I've been on this for a few days (18/10, not 20/8 or 19/9) and I think I'm going to give it up. It's currently about 6 AM and I'm supposed to go to bed at 11 AM- while I could stay up another five hours, I'm ready to roll into bed right now.

That said, there are a lot of things about the system that I like, and so I'm thinking of trying to keep it up- since I generally sleep around 10 hours regardless of time awake beforehand, I now get 108 hours awake a week instead of 98 hours a week; I've got minor insomnia and so only falling asleep six times a week instead of seven saves time; and going to bed when really tired both helps with the insomnia and makes it so the light really doesn't matter.

Only being in sync with the real world for half the week is bothersome though- it only comes up every now and then, but when it does ("hey, an xkcd meetup on Saturday afternoon! ... wait a minute, I'm supposed to be asleep then"), it sucks.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

mostly_true_comics

Postby mostly_true_comics » Sat May 24, 2008 10:12 am UTC

Amazingly, some people with circadian rhythm disorders CANNOT synch to 24-hour-days. It's a common problem in the blind, since they don't get light cues, and is usually treated with melatonin. But for a few individuals, their ticker just won't tock properly, and so they have to cycle through the days.

Neuroscience claims these people have trouble in the suprachiasmic nucleus. I insist they are martians living among us.
"Because Truth is stranger than fiction, but for best results, try an alloy of 90% truth, 10% confabulation, and 2% butterscotch ripple."

scebert

Postby scebert » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:17 pm UTC

I had an idea for a completely SI system. Instead of 24 or 2 hours, use 100 000 seconds. This is only slightly shorter than 28 hours, which is 100 800 s. To keep track of what part of the "day" you're in, just use Unix time and the last 5 digits show how far into the day you are. It would almost never line up with weeks, but if you're not sleeping on a 24 hour schedule, your goal is obviously not to align your schedule with that of the rest of the world. A computer would be necessary for an alarm clock, unless you wanted to calculate what normal time a given Unix time falls on and reset it every day. Something like this would be especially useful when not on a planet by getting rid of hours and minutes when there's no solar day to worry about, but that situation is unlikely for anyone here.

John Horton

Postby John Horton » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:48 am UTC

scebert wrote:Something like this would be especially useful when not on a planet by getting rid of hours and minutes when there's no solar day to worry about, but that situation is unlikely for anyone here.

You do realize what kind of people you're talking to here, right?

Side note: I'm on a possibly dangerous schedule due to classes and work. In the 40th hour of a 48 hour session, followed by 8 hours of sleep, followed by 24 hours awake, followed by 7 hours asleep, followed by 40 hours awake, followed by 3 hours of sleep, followed by 30 hours awake, and a final 8 hours of sleep. (Followed by your mom).

I've stopped caring how my life lines up with "normal people" time.

Uninfinity

Re:

Postby Uninfinity » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:25 am UTC

Kendally wrote:
MissingDividends wrote:
suso wrote:
MissingDividends wrote:Am I the only one that was a bit underwhelmed simply because it was in no way related to the meetup?

Nope, your mom was underwhelmed too.

Shoulda seen that one coming.

Your mum saw that one coming.

I saw your mum coming.

jahwn lemonjello
Location: 3rd spacial dimension, our universe, Milky way, solar system, Earth, The Americas, USA

Re: "28-Hour Day" Discussion

Postby jahwn lemonjello » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:26 pm UTC

As a student, I don't believe I could make it work, but I think that I'll try it over a break.
Hunting will not be a sport until the U.S. government recognizes the right to arm bears.

While there is a bad way to be weird, there is no good way not to be.

All that is gold does not glitter, not all who wander are lost.

roflcopter

Re: "28-Hour Day" Discussion

Postby roflcopter » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:49 am UTC

My personal record for staying awake was brought on by a very busy weekend I had during my junior year of high school. Before that point I basically lived off of energy drinks, I would drink, at a minimum, 2 a day. Thursday night I decided my budget and my health couldn't take it anymore, so I got up at 6am as usual but didn't stop for the normal Rockstar on the way to school. Friday night just so happened to be Relay for Life, which I was in charge of our groups participation and stayed up all night that night after attending the football game at my school. The impressive part was that after being up for over 24 hours I sailed in a regatta in small, physically demanding boats all day Saturday. Then Saturday was our schools homecoming dance so I went to that, then proceeded to stay awake all night Saturday night partying with friends, only to go sail another hard day all day Sunday. By the time I got home it worked out to be a little over 61 hours awake, with physical activity for a great part of it, luckily it was a 3 day weekend and after being delirious and passing out on my couch Sunday afternoon, my alarm(already set as always) woke me up at 6am Tuesday morning, in my room, which I have no recollection moving myself and my parents thought I was gone and they were just not seeing me around the house when I came home. It was a very interesting weekend, and honestly didn't feel the effects of it until the last couple of hours, not that I want to do it again.

I think that this incident was so easily facilitated by the sudden lack of caffeine in my diet, like some kind of withdrawal, any explanations?

koipen

Re:

Postby koipen » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Rilian wrote:My brother was on a 27-hour schedule before he started that hell-hole called "school". He's not in "school" anymore, but he, for some reason, goes to bed at 10:00 and wakes up at 7:00 every single day.

I do this too. It feels very natural, and I'm always awake and feel good. I see no reason why this good and natural sleep cycle wouldn't be good (I actually had before I started this naturally a wake-up time of 11.00, but it's gone now.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Re: 0320: "28-Hour Day"

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:13 am UTC

My first semester of college, I lived week-by-week, with a MWF schedule, a TT schedule, and no schedule for the weekends. Usually, I went to bed around 02:00 and on MWF, woke up for my 08:00 class (most of the time) and then went back to bed until 10:30 to shower and start my day (for real) in time for my noon class
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Eikinkloster

Postby Eikinkloster » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:55 am UTC

John Horton wrote:Side note: I'm on a possibly dangerous schedule due to classes and work. In the 40th hour of a 48 hour session, followed by 8 hours of sleep, followed by 24 hours awake, followed by 7 hours asleep, followed by 40 hours awake, followed by 3 hours of sleep, followed by 30 hours awake, and a final 8 hours of sleep. (Followed by your mom).

LOL, I didn't see my mom coming this time.
John Horton wrote:I've stopped caring how my life lines up with "normal people" time.

I worked for a year in the third shift. 00:00 to 08:00. In the end, my life was misaligned with pretty much *any people*, I went raving mad enough to leave the job and go into my mom's basement for half a year. I was still misaligned, but at least I didn't need to cover my insanity from bosses.
Chaos Reigns!

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:40 pm UTC

Eikinkloster wrote:LOL, I didn't see my mom coming this time.

I generally prefer not to to see my mom coming.

Your mom, on the other hand... that's hot.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”