0322: "Pix plz"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

nyeguy

0322: "Pix plz"

Postby nyeguy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:30 am UTC

Alt-text: But one of the regulars in the channel is a girl!

Do girls actually feel this way on the internet? Because I know I do this, because it along with the "no girls on the internet" thing never seemed offensive.

unnameduser
Location: Someware in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galxy

Re: "Pix plz" Discussion

Postby unnameduser » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:33 am UTC

No wonder chicks are so rare. lol

I have to admit, I don't do that. it'd be sweet if there was someone like black-hat man.

(second post!!)
Last edited by unnameduser on Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:34 am UTC

Man, I wish that could be done to people like that on the internet! Trolls would become so rare so quickly.

I love the girl's cannon.
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

jeff_attack

Postby jeff_attack » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:37 am UTC

Ha! Good ol' Joanna and her EMP cannon.
This temporary tattoo has made me permanently cool!

Meraki

Postby Meraki » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:38 am UTC

Do girls actually feel this way on the internet? Because I know I do this, because it along with the "no girls on the internet" thing never seemed offensive.

Yes. We're half of the human population. Our usage of the internet is not intended to consist solely of, "Hey I'm female and ready to show off my genitalia!"

I usually just link an icon with MS Paint breasts on it and go, "Okay, here are your internet boobs. Done? Treat me like a human now."

Edit: Wish I had an EMP cannon though. Much more satisfying.
Last edited by Meraki on Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

scwizard

Postby scwizard » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:40 am UTC

Offtopic: woah PHPbb this is new

Ontopic: this comic will forever make me infinitely courteous to women I see on the internet
Last edited by scwizard on Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
~= scwizard =~

voodooKobra
You just....

Postby voodooKobra » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:40 am UTC

EMP cannon. I so want to build one so I can take care of the idiots who like to blare rap music in front of my store.
If you need to reach me, email kobrasrealm@gmail.com

in b4 spam

Kobra's Corner - My horribly-written opinions that aren't worth reading. Seriously; you're better off reading Nietzsche translated into myspace user lingo.

flatluigi

Postby flatluigi » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:42 am UTC

I feel obligated to post this great article about women on the internet.

grendelkhan

Postby grendelkhan » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:43 am UTC

scwizard wrote:Ontopic: this comic will forever make me infinitely courteous to women I see on the internet
If that actually worked for everyone who read this strip, Randall would be the greatest internet superhero ever.

mayhaps

Postby mayhaps » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:44 am UTC

Can I just point out... he kicked down the door! How frickin' awesome.

And yeah, pretty much, this comic = truth.

Gadren

Postby Gadren » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:45 am UTC

Anyone else think Randall made this in response to that news article about him signing an "exposed breast?" :P

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:55 am UTC

Not really. At least, I can think of a few dozen other places on the internet that this applies to much more directly.

Aviatrix

Postby Aviatrix » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:57 am UTC

"Oh me yarm are you really a girl?" is the most common opening line I get in chattish Internet places, but "No, I'm a 52-year old woman" usually calms that right down.

People tell me I have to get used to being called bitch and whore, that it doesn't mean anything. Maybe it doesn't and it's a generation gap thing, but hey, I still think it's disrespect at any age.

I don't think black hat man is going to be successful though. As the comic so correctly points out, OMG-man is fairly resistant to change. Luckily, there are other men on the Internet. Oodles and oodles of them.

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:57 am UTC

Meraki wrote:Yes. We're half of the human population. Our usage of the internet is not intended to consist solely of, "Hey I'm female and ready to show off my genitalia!"

Though I see your point, I should have specified that I do it clearly sarcastically so it is obvious it is a joke.

Meraki

Postby Meraki » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:58 am UTC

flatluigi wrote:I feel obligated to post this great article about women on the internet.

Hilarious. And so, so true. I've gotten the "ur gay! ...no, I'm a girl with a boyfriend..." thing so many times.

Nyeguy, I'm sure when you're doing it you don't actually mean to cause offense, but like the strip says: it's not ironic or clever. As a matter of fact it's completely unnecessary.
Last edited by Meraki on Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:58 am UTC

I think that Black Hat Man is Randall's alter ego... like a superhero.

Intamin

Postby Intamin » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:58 am UTC

I love xkcd. Made me cry tears of joy.

I'm telling you, I wonder how many of these maniacs we see in real life every day...

Probably very few, no? They're probably the ones that never see the outdoors. Oh well...

InkBlot

Postby InkBlot » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:59 am UTC

The only place I've ever had to deal with a situation like that is MySpleh, but I don't have one of those anymore, so I guess it's no big deal.
Apparently, everyone gets attacked for nude pics on MySpleh, so it's not as flattering as people seem to take it.
Not everything in the world has to be ugly. Maybe if people took time to appreciate the few beautiful things left there'd be more than just pretty skies and appealing music to be appreciated.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:00 am UTC

Holy crap, I want one of those EMP cannons!

And this cartoon neatly points out why I can't read Slashdot articles about women and computing anymore.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:03 am UTC

InkBlot wrote:Apparently, everyone gets attacked for nude pics on MySpleh, so it's not as flattering as people seem to take it.

I wasn't :(

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:03 am UTC

Quick! To the IRC chat to heckle!

-whoosh-
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

InkBlot

Postby InkBlot » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:05 am UTC

I'd rather not have been. I was more offended than flattered, while half my friends messaged me saying "OMIGAD, like, I totally like can't believe that this guy seriously just asked to see my -TATAs!!- LAWLZ! Am I relly that hawt?!!1 eleven"
Not everything in the world has to be ugly. Maybe if people took time to appreciate the few beautiful things left there'd be more than just pretty skies and appealing music to be appreciated.

rxninja

Postby rxninja » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:07 am UTC

EMP cannon ftfw. Do want..so very badly.

Any hardcore engineers know what would have to go into making one on a small scale?
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I miss a lot of people, too. Fortunately, ammo is cheap.

sophyturtle wrote:I think nudity is the solution for everything...

Blipo

Postby Blipo » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:12 am UTC

I know quite a few girls through chat rooms and forums; no nerdy girls, though. Don't know any in real life, for that matter. Strange.

Intamin

Postby Intamin » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:13 am UTC

flatluigi wrote:I feel obligated to post this great article about women on the internet.

That article was fantastic. :)

GreatPokerHands

Postby GreatPokerHands » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:31 am UTC

I usually just link an icon with MS Paint breasts on it and go, "Okay, here are your internet boobs. Done? Treat me like a human now.

Errm, is it just me, or do the rest of the guys here want to see examples of MS Paint breasts? :-)

scwizard

Postby scwizard » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:32 am UTC

Now whenever someone says "pics or gtfo" I can link them to this comic and make them feel like an ass.
~= scwizard =~

GusPatsy
sex, lol!

Postby GusPatsy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am UTC

Blipo wrote:I know quite a few girls through chat rooms and forums; no nerdy girls, though. Don't know any in real life, for that matter. Strange.

People who use chat rooms and forums are nerds. You apparently haven't met any non-nerd girls to do a comparison.
Alisto wrote:
GusPatsy wrote:I would like a title that references something I don't get, and would take hours to figure out, eventually leaving me disappointed.

"Sex"

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:41 am UTC

GreatPokerHands wrote:
I usually just link an icon with MS Paint breasts on it and go, "Okay, here are your internet boobs. Done? Treat me like a human now.

Errm, is it just me, or do the rest of the guys here want to see examples of MS Paint breasts? :-)

Happy now?

Boobies
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Netsnipe

Postby Netsnipe » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:45 am UTC

jeff_attack wrote:Ha! Good ol' Joanna and her EMP cannon.

Does anyone else think the name was a reference to Joanna Dark from Perfect Dark considering an EMP cannon is involved? :wink:

Your.Master

Postby Your.Master » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:46 am UTC

So wait, is this legitimately ironic?

flashfrozen

Postby flashfrozen » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:50 am UTC

helen wrote:Not really. At least, I can think of a few dozen other places on the internet that this applies to much more directly.

tits or GTFO the choice is yours lol

Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem! Stand aside plebians! I am on imperial business.

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:54 am UTC

This... this ...

Freude, schöner Götterfunken
Tochter aus Elysium
Wir betreten feuertrunken
Himmlische, dein Heiligtum
Deine Zauber binden wieder
Was die Mode streng geteilt
Alle Menschen werden Brüder
Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt

This comic is like a reward. Usually oafs are the cool kids on the web for saying stupid crap like pix plz and if you don't reregurgitate this idiocy then apparently you aren't witty, because you didn't zing immediately with something so clever as wanting to see a person's personal shit.

I don't know. It's like you get a little piece of hilarity for thinking differently. The comic is there for people who are all up ons staring at strangers and asking those strangers for the means to get stared at, but it isn't hilarious to them. It is what I am calling hilarity encryption.
хлэб и Воля

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:54 am UTC

I want to stand up and be all "GRRL POWAH" and "MEN ARE PIGS" and such. But aside from the ubiquitous MySpace spam, I haven't really encountered that much disbelief that I'm a girl on the Internet...but then, I don't play video games besides DDR. Mostly I roam around in the fanfiction/roleplaying areas of the Internet anyway, which tend to be more female.

I do notice that guys will refuse to speak to me/acknowledge my existence in my comp sci classes, though.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Postby Pathway » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:01 am UTC

Aviatrix wrote:People tell me I have to get used to being called bitch and whore, that it doesn't mean anything. Maybe it doesn't and it's a generation gap thing, but hey, I still think it's disrespect at any age.

Guys get called those things too. It's amusingly ineffective against us, but that doesn't stop people from thinking they have found the perfect insult. It's a bigger deal when said about you, in the same way that a black man would be more offended by "n_____" than a white man (or so I'd imagine), but it can often be said without knowledge of your gender, by people who would be jackasses no matter who you are. So chin up, and meet the losers head on!

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I think that Black Hat Man is Randall's alter ego... like a superhero.

Ahh yes. "Communicating badly and then acting smug when you're misunderstood is not cleverness." (After cutting off a dude's hand for telling the "The English Language" joke.) I hope it's him.

podbaydoor wrote:I do notice that guys will refuse to speak to me/acknowledge my existence in my comp sci classes, though.

Those guys might just be aware of the Girl In the Geek World and the fact that you're probably in the minority, and don't want to be all over you just because girls are so rare--it might be timidity due to respect for your feelings. edit: this might be better described as a desire to not be creepy.

Maybe.
Last edited by Pathway on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

johnnynoknuckles

Postby johnnynoknuckles » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:09 am UTC

This is one of the few xkcd comics I disagree with. If you're on the internet, you will be trolled; demanding pics is merely a common tactic, right up there with racial epithets and religion-bashing. Sorry, girls, but you don't get a free ride just because you're female.

Of course, upon rereading the comic, it seems that it's more directed toward the people who do it without the intention of trolling the target, thus voiding my post, but if I went to the trouble of making an account just to post one thing then I'm damn well going to post that one thing.

e946

Postby e946 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:11 am UTC

Now whenever someone says "pics or gtfo" I can link them to this comic and make them feel like an ass.

They won't care.

Also, girls in this topic, where the hell are the pics?

e946

Postby e946 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:14 am UTC

johnnynoknuckles wrote:This is one of the few xkcd comics I disagree with. If you're on the internet, you will be trolled; demanding pics is merely a common tactic, right up there with racial epithets and religion-bashing. Sorry, girls, but you don't get a free ride just because you're female.

Of course, upon rereading the comic, it seems that it's more directed toward the people who do it without the intention of trolling the target, thus voiding my post, but if I went to the trouble of making an account just to post one thing then I'm damn well going to post that one thing.

It sounds me like you're basing your information off the wrong website. If you go to LL and 4chon and other crapholes then yes, that's what you're going to be exposed to, but places like this don't have it.

In any case, I don't think any of said females are asking for a "free ride" because of their femaleship. Not all of them anyways.

fiendishglee

Postby fiendishglee » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:19 am UTC

e946 wrote:Also, girls in this topic, where the hell are the pics?

I shouldn't bite, but I have one picture that is used precisely for this purpose.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”