0336: "Priorities"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Robin S

Re: "Priorities" Discussion

Postby Robin S » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:53 pm UTC

King Matt I wrote:I know that they give E's in most British schools.
Also Gs and Us. :)
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Ursus

Postby Ursus » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:18 pm UTC

One term in high school, I got one of each grade. They weren't sorted, though. I'm a little proud of it, especially since this was before my ADD was diagnosed. Yay not being hyperactive. =/

Worked out fine, though. My university isn't particularly prestigious, so once I showed them my SATs, I didn't even have to claim I attended high school, much less graduated.

Xane wrote:they say F's scar children, so instead they give out E's, not attending is E2 or LC

i never even thought about it until people told me they didnt have E's in school

I really hate crap like this. F's don't scar children. Failing a class doesn't scar children. A parent's anger when you fail a class is what's scarring. And you know what? The kid's going to fail at something eventually (even if it's not academic). It's probably better to have that happen so they can develop coping skills. But Americans aren't really interested in helping children grow up. Otherwise, there would be public school classes that are helpful in real life. Well, besides history, geography, and basic maths.

It's like D. A. R. E. and this abstinence advocacy crap. "Hey, I have a great idea. Let's lie to our kids (at least by omission) and leave them completely unprepared for what happens in this society." SO ANGRY.

</rant>

Katastrophy

Postby Katastrophy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:28 pm UTC

Blipo wrote:
Deskchair Intellectual wrote:Does anyone else sometimes not do assignments because you know your grades would be high enough even if you don't do it?

Yes. =D

I skipped an assignment worth 10% of my mark after determining I would still pass afterwards.

It wasn't a great mark, but I'd spent the entire week frantically coding a group assignment, and was left with an assignment due in two days where I'd have to A) Fix the previous assignment, which only got a 50% but was important to finishing the last assignment. B) Figure out what I'd done on assignment one and incorporate that too. C) Write up the whole thing after running a series of trials. D) Think.

I wasn't willing to do any of that. Particularly D...
~Kat

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:32 pm UTC

I like this comic. It reminds me of times that my pseudo-OCD has led to dumb decisions on my part.

Like when I'm on the highway, and I'm in cruise control, and there's a truck coming up in the right lane, but there's a car oh so gradually pulling ahead of me in the left lane. I'm like "Must... not... use... brakes... if... at... all... possible... but sometimes the car doesn't pass me fast enough for me to get in behind them, and I am overly disappointed for something that is not that big a deal. I have been yelled at by friends for this. They're like "Truck!" and I'm like, I know, I know, but... sigh.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

CellBlock

Postby CellBlock » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:38 pm UTC

I think I've run the gamut of grading.

In early elementary school (K-3), grades were something like *(star), ✓+, ✓, ✓-, -. (Towards grade 3, it moved to a simplified version with fewer symbols.)

In grades 4-6, my elementary school used letter grades. A, B, C, D, F. I believe there was also an option for I, Incomplete, which meant you were missing something which prevented you from actually receiving a grade.

At my Junior/Senior High School, grades were percentage based. Grades were just numbers from 0-100, and a scale was printed at the top making a rough comparison to letter grades. (90-100 = A, 80-90 = B, etc.) It was also possible to just get a P or an F if a course was pass/fail, but there weren't many of those.

Then, at Penn State University, it's letter grades again, with +/- tacked on for being close. The base scale goes A/A-/B+/B/B-/C+/C/D/F. (Note there's no C-. That's because a 'minus' grade is worth fewer grade points than a regular grade, and this way you could still have a 2.0 with grades that would normally be C-'s.) Then, though, they throw in all sorts of modifiers and extra letters that mean other things. If a course is pass/fail, you could get a P. If you receive credit for a course without taking it (either via an AP test or a university proficiency exam), you get an S. A grade could be deferred (DF) if you're still working on something at the end of the semester, or you could receive no grade (NG). You could also drop out of a course (W), which, depending on the department, could also carry your status in the class at the time of the drop: passing (WP), or failing (WF). Most departments don't include it, though, so they show up as (WN). Last but not least, is the X, received with a "conviction" for academic dishonesty. Of course, they can't just use that X; they attach it to the fact that, yes, since you cheated, you failed, and you get an XF.

Throughout my college "career", I earned 6 of the 9 grades in the base scale (I was missing C+, D, and F.), as well as 2 S's, an NG (which was later changed - teacher just submitted the grade too late to have it originally included), and a WN. It's a veritable alphabet soup.

solocard

Postby solocard » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:47 pm UTC

julesh wrote:
solocard wrote:I went to a British school, and many a class mate tried to do things along these lines.

At the time I was at school, the grading system went; A*, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, U. With the A* - C part being a "good pass", D-G being "pass" and U stood for Ungraded (or Fail).

I always felt that A-C (no A* in my day, you youngster) were "pass", D-G "fail" and U "unmitigated failure".

Makes more sense that way. I mean, "ungraded"? Of course it's graded. They've graded it "U".

I feel the same too. As far as I was concerned, anything lower than a C shouldn't be a pass. But my school did consist of a lot of people who felt that being able to spell FUDGE was merit-worthy....

danielem1

Postby danielem1 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:16 pm UTC

Here at University of Florida we have E's in place of F's

McHell

Postby McHell » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:21 pm UTC

Many graders seem to go on the unolympic idea that "it's better not to have run than to have failed" and add an <ungraded> cathegory.
It is of course the correct idea if you're an optimist and think the baseline stupidy of humanity is not that bad. I find both ideas illogical.

When I was sixteen, I was ill (or at least absent) for the full last third of the year. However there were no new subjects, so even if I got a solid zero for all tests I'd still have passing grades for all. That was good. Discovering 15months later that I was supposed to know about imaginary numbers and N-degree polynomials having N solutions over C was about the worst side-effect.

mgoldb2

Postby mgoldb2 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:25 pm UTC

It reminds me of many years ago when I was still in high school of a Spanish test on a scantron I took. Those are the ones you have to full in the bubbles for each question. I knew I had 0 chance of passing the class so instead of reading the questions I just made a cool design by filling in the appropriate bubbles.

Brandon

Postby Brandon » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:31 pm UTC

I remember a class I took in college. The professor had unusually strict grading and unusually hard tests, and the class average was actually around a 35 or so. He had 3 tests over the course of the semester, and while he did grade on a curve, he did so by adding the total score of all three tests together and only THEN curving the final total.

That last bit is important because I accidentally slept through the second test, but I got a B+ in the course. The subject matter was near and dear to my heart, and I got a 90 on the first test, which was the top mark. The second test, since he had a "no makeup" policy, got a zero. However, the sum of the two test scores was still above the class average, and combined with a good test score got me a decent grade.

A friend of mine, who was taking the course for the second time and got a C, never did quite forgive me for that one.

Sigh, that was my favorite professor, too, even those his grading system was harsh and not particularly sane. It's what happens when a mathematician and amateur psychologist gets creative. The curve was set based on the final points total of the student who had the most points going into the final, although this system was twerked after the fact the one year that the top student decided to take advantage of the situation and skip the final. Hrm...I wonder why they fired that professor.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:20 pm UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:
Deskchair Intellectual wrote:Does anyone else sometimes not do assignments because you know your grades would be high enough even if you don't do it?

It would never have occurred to me as a possibility, but it would explain the out come of a few of my college classes.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

tiny

Postby tiny » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:47 pm UTC

Oh! My Abitur (the piece of paper that says I'm smart enough to go to Uni) it says:

Outschool effort*: A
Educational science: B
English: C
German: D
Biology: E

I didn't do this on purpose, though. In ES and English we got two sheets and could chose which one to work on. In Bio we were supposed to do both, but I didn't know that o.o

*They did this instead of a fifth Abitur class. You can do this essay+oral in every class you like, as long as you can blackmail a teacher into testing you.
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

LarrySDonald

Postby LarrySDonald » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:01 pm UTC

I think it's more about those situations where you know one thing is better, yet you sort of hate the break the pattern somehow because the slightly worse thing is completely patterned.

I got 5,4,3,2,1 and A-DF for a year and a half living in the states. In the states, I swung straight As without too much trouble (the only one I faltered off an on in was English and Reading, but at least I had a solid excuse for that - it's not my native language). Coming home I made out like a bandit, because 1-5 was on a bell curve vs national current year. The brilliant minds of the school, of course, thought "5 4 3 2 1. Five grades. A B C D F. Five grades. They must translate directly". So for my top 10% correct on assignments (with the additional complex adjustments), I got counted as top 10% of a bell curve on past deeds. Sweet.

I did check yearly if my grades, as read on the report card, was prime. It never was, but usually because the last grade was 4 or 5. The urge was there to meddle, but I wanted to grades for later more.

ThadG

Postby ThadG » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:51 pm UTC

In elementary school we had 3, 2, 1, and 0.

Then in middle school it switced to A, B, C, D, E, and that was used through high school as well.

A: 100-90%
B: 89.9-80%
C: 79.9-70%
D: 69.9-60%
E: 59.9-0% (Fail)

Ususally the teachers in high school would round up if you got a 79.8% or something along those lines. Well, if they liked you. :)

But I've heard some kids say their schools counted anything below 55 or 50% as a fail. wtf

RockoTDF

Postby RockoTDF » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:40 pm UTC

This reminds me of the quarter in high school that my GPA was 3.14159
Just because it is not physics doesn't mean it is not science.
http://www.iomalfunction.blogspot.com <---- A collection of humorous one liners and science jokes.

Shpadoinkle

Postby Shpadoinkle » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:49 pm UTC

mgoldb2 wrote:It reminds me of many years ago when I was still in high school of a Spanish test on a scantron I took. Those are the ones you have to full in the bubbles for each question. I knew I had 0 chance of passing the class so instead of reading the questions I just made a cool design by filling in the appropriate bubbles.

You should know you can NOT post something like that here without including how well you did. It'll drive everyone else crazy wondering.

RockoTDF wrote:This reminds me of the quarter in high school that my GPA was 3.14159

That may be one of the greatest things I've ever read.

littlebee

Postby littlebee » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:17 pm UTC

At Bloomsburg they give Es instead of Fs.

But I completely understand the alphabatizing thing. If someone leaves a DVD case at my house or in my room it is alphabatized by the time it gets back to them (by series too). Everything should be in proper order..

And back up in MA right now things are graded from 4-1 with 4 being the highest. I always thought that 1 is the best? It confuses me.
Can I have a red dress too?
-Birgette (RJ)

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:53 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:This is the kind of thing you assign the kids that everyone already knows are capable of doing the work. "OK Cindy McGenius, everyone already knows you can get straight A's, your assignment this semester will be to pass, ace, and fail certain classes, precisely enough to spell a word with your grade sheet. Here's the template we'll be using to print those out. Good luck!"

WIN.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Kin

Postby Kin » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:23 pm UTC

In my old school we had the normal system. My new school works on numbers. 6,5,4,3,2,1.

However. You can receive an "F" or "FF" during the midterm. What is wonderful about this is that you can receive a "U" for behavior [Very rare]. Therefore, teachers may assign you a DOUBLE F U!

Duda?...Meh.
Last edited by Kin on Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:33 pm UTC

Everywhere I've lived in Canada, as far as I can remember, they've used the A+/A/B/C/D/E grading system in younger grades, and percentages once you reach high school. I never managed to spell anything out, because it was usually a couple A's, a couple B's, and one C (I've never been good at French, although Ontario dropping it for the early years didn't help much either). I am thinking of doing the standard distribution percentages this year though, since that's about the cleverest thing I can think of (would go for decreasing percentages, but my schedules won't let me due to the way courses are arranged).

Invisigoth

Postby Invisigoth » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:56 pm UTC

Brandon wrote:I remember a class I took in college. The professor had unusually strict grading and unusually hard tests, and the class average was actually around a 35 or so. He had 3 tests over the course of the semester, and while he did grade on a curve, he did so by adding the total score of all three tests together and only THEN curving the final total.

That last bit is important because I accidentally slept through the second test, but I got a B+ in the course. The subject matter was near and dear to my heart, and I got a 90 on the first test, which was the top mark. The second test, since he had a "no makeup" policy, got a zero. However, the sum of the two test scores was still above the class average, and combined with a good test score got me a decent grade.

A friend of mine, who was taking the course for the second time and got a C, never did quite forgive me for that one.

Sigh, that was my favorite professor, too, even those his grading system was harsh and not particularly sane. It's what happens when a mathematician and amateur psychologist gets creative. The curve was set based on the final points total of the student who had the most points going into the final, although this system was twerked after the fact the one year that the top student decided to take advantage of the situation and skip the final. Hrm...I wonder why they fired that professor.

I had an Economics Professor in college that had similar style. He made the exams with the goal the adverage grad coming out to be 50%. He graded on a curve, so it didn't have screw our grades, but he refused to change his policy. His response to complaints was that if a student got a 90% on one of his difficult exams, he knew they were an exceptional student. It turned out to be useful later. I was one of his better students, so he remembered me when I called him up and asked for a recomendation letter after he'd left for another university.

RealityRipple

Postby RealityRipple » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:21 pm UTC

I tried... I really did. Stupid Home Ec got in the way of perfection, though:

Click here for my nearly awesome report card!

ADXCKGuy
Location: Boston, MA, U.S.A., North America, Earth, Sol system, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Postby ADXCKGuy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:49 pm UTC

Heh, I never did homework in High School or College. I got by all on tests. My Philosophy professor shouldn’t have passed me because tests and class participation were not supposed to be worth enough percentage points... I like to think that he couldn’t bear to fail the only student who really got it and asked good questions in class. But I never asked him in case it was just a mistake. :-P

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:21 pm UTC

My school does not give F's. Nor does it give A+s. So kids don't get jealous.

You can rest assured I'm loving having nothing but A's, and being placed in the same category as people with 90s.

shasan

Postby shasan » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:49 pm UTC

SimonSwift wrote:Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that a game should be set up where students try to get as close as possible to a specific percentage in a given class, and they have to be precise about what they do and what they don't do

In my high school, they had an award called "The Pi Award" for the graduating senior whose GPA was closest to pi.

jrod

Postby jrod » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:30 am UTC

My school is on a 7pt grading scale:
A 100-93
B 92-85 (school average)
C 84-77 (state average)
D 77-70
F 69-0 (fail)

Anything under a 70 is failing (69.999999 is failing unless the teacher fudges one grade just to be nice). My school has minuses and pluses and regular grades, but they mean nothing except in weighter courses where you need a A+ to recieve the extra GPA. I've never managed to speel anything.

At my school if you miss less than 3 days and have an A some classes will let you skip the final without being hurt grade wise.

A, 3 days
B, 2 days
C, 1 day
D and F have to take the exam.

The exception to these is band where everyone gets 100 for participation and can miss 4 days. If you take the band exam it is either cleaning the room or playing a few scales.

ShadowLurker

Postby ShadowLurker » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:55 am UTC

jrod wrote: I've never managed to speel anything.

Clearly.

Hoshi no Kabii

Postby Hoshi no Kabii » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:51 am UTC

No (higher grades are always welcome), but I have something similar. We were taking our end-of-the-year exams. We were instructed to write two essays, one on something and the other on something else. She would give you the grade of the better-graded essay. So when I hand my papers in, the teacher calls me back to her desk and informs me I only wrote one essay. I tell her I'm well aware. When we get our scores I got the highest mark in the class.

My school gives E's as grades.

Edit: To clarify, my school's scoring system goes EABCDF.
Last edited by Hoshi no Kabii on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Wikey

Postby Wikey » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:52 am UTC

At my high school in VA we had A, B, C, D, and F. As well as a grade for Work Habits and a separate grade for Citizenship. These two used a scale of O (Outstanding), S (Satisfactory), and U (Unsatisfactory). I could easily get As in certain classes without studying or doing homework which led me to get A - S - S a few times. Not sure if the teachers were doing it intentionally to send me a message...

You could also get BOO and DOS.

(I'd give a prize to a kid who managed to get DOS in a computer technology class.)

Oh, we had this same system in Middle School, and my friend who lived in Australia for two years always wanted to get AUS, but teachers almost refused to give a U in work habits with an A.

Nigy

Postby Nigy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:47 am UTC

sunami wrote: Did anyone else's schools use 'E' for a failing grade?

My highschool gives out E's for failing, not F's.

Kudos

Postby Kudos » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:25 am UTC

mgoldb2 wrote:It reminds me of many years ago when I was still in high school of a Spanish test on a scantron I took. Those are the ones you have to full in the bubbles for each question. I knew I had 0 chance of passing the class so instead of reading the questions I just made a cool design by filling in the appropriate bubbles.

I once took a scantron test that made a cool design. I felt very conflicted because the possibility of a design really appealed to me but there was no way the answers could make a cool design. Turns out it was meant to mess with our heads.

I've never tried to spell anything with my grades before. I've tried pairing the letters. Also, in the event that I do poorly on a test I get a small sense of pleasure from getting as close to class average as possible. I've been dead on at least three times.

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:25 pm UTC

tesseract wrote:It made sense back in the days of handwritten report cards when an F could easily be rewritten into an acceptable 'E' but now it's just tradition.

But why didn't they just use ABCDE in the first place?

Kin

Postby Kin » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:14 pm UTC

Can't think of something as negative as fail (which perhaps ought be negative...) that starts with an E.

Maybe expel, but that's not exactly true.

[Yes, yes, abcd doesn't make sense either but nor does it make sense that there's no letters ~under 52, really (Sort of does...More then half to get anything?)]

EtzHadaat

Postby EtzHadaat » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:18 pm UTC

I had a kind of super-genius kid in my high school who always calculated out his grades to be exactly 89.5 so he wouldn't get A's. He was always complaining about inconsistent English teachers.

crystal_owl

Postby crystal_owl » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:37 pm UTC

I must say, if he wants an F to complete his alphabatised grade sheet he isn't taking very many subjects...
Also, I'm British and lowest grade you can get here is a U. You can't get the letters in between, though - U stands for Unclassified, and it used when your mark is so low they don't even have a grade for it.
www.justgiving.com/sarah88

sab39

Postby sab39 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:48 pm UTC

littlebee wrote:But I completely understand the alphabatizing thing. If someone leaves a DVD case at my house or in my room it is alphabatized by the time it gets back to them (by series too). Everything should be in proper order..

So in what order would you put Buffy / Angel individual season DVDs? ;)

scottdickson

Postby scottdickson » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:20 am UTC

Late to the game, but I can identify. When I was a senior in the university, my roommate deliberately got a C on a final exam so that he would graduate with a GPA that was pi to 6 decimal places.

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:57 am UTC

gothgeek wrote:I must say, if he wants an F to complete his alphabatised grade sheet he isn't taking very many subjects...

That'd be five classes if he's shooting for A B C D F. Where I come from that's a lot of classes. Hell, I'm taking three right now and it's a lot of work sometimes.

on topic: i got a grade report that read A B C in that order. I was quite proud.

Killerkob

Postby Killerkob » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:00 am UTC

In the land of Oz (Aus) We are graded with the following grading system, although reports have the A, B, C, D, F system, project, work and all that such, which makes up the report card are graded as follows:
E - Excellent
VG - Very Good
G - Good
S - Satisfactory
N - Non-Satisfactory (Redo it)

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:01 am UTC

Kin wrote:Can't think of something as negative as fail (which perhaps ought be negative...) that starts with an E.

Maybe expel, but that's not exactly true.

The 'F' isn't supposed to mean anything. That was invented after the fact.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”