0336: "Priorities"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Re: "Priorities" Discussion

Postby Moo » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:07 am UTC

Kin wrote:Can't think of something as negative as fail (which perhaps ought be negative...) that starts with an E.

Maybe expel, but that's not exactly true.

THINGS E COULD STAND FOR
- Epic fail
- Erroneous
- Especially poor
- Excuseless
- Everyone passed this subject... NOT! You didn't. You suck.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

jilli-bean

Postby jilli-bean » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:44 pm UTC

Music students have even more fun with this. . .

We try to get A, A-, B, B-, C, C-, etc.

Hooray for descending chromatic grades!

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:37 pm UTC

jilli-bean wrote:Music students have even more fun with this. . .

We try to get A, A-, B, B-, C, C-, etc.

Hooray for descending chromatic grades!

wouldn't it make more sense to try for A A+ B C C+ D D+ ? or A B- B C D- D D+ (just because theres no E grade usually)
i tend to think of sharps as +s and flats as -s.

Although I do like the idea of descending grades equaling an ascending series of tones.

Eleyras

Postby Eleyras » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:03 pm UTC

I tried to see if I could get grades to play a song on the piano. No luck. You need an E and an F-. And maybe a G. That would be cooler than spelling a word, though.
At some point, I will remember to sig quotes I find amusing or something.

...once I stop laughing.

somdude04

Postby somdude04 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:25 pm UTC

Yeah... I actually did this one semester... I called it hitting for the cycle though (baseball reference to a single, double, triple and home run in a single game).

A:Data Structures and Algorithms
B:Assembly
C:Genetics Lab
D:Genetics
F:Linear Algebra

I actually also had 2 other grades that semester:
Drop Passing - Latin
No Credit - Chapel

I figured it'd be too hard to add in a Credit and a Drop Failing.
7 different grades for 7 different classes.

muteKi
Angry is too weak a term. Try "Fluffy".

Postby muteKi » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:02 am UTC

Uthor wrote:This reminds me of some teachers that would give you a 100% on a multiple choice test if you managed to get a 0%. The thinking was that you had to know enough to get that 0% as guessing would still give you 20% and you therefore deserve the 100%.

My thinking is that if you say you will get an A/B/C/D/F report card in alphabetical order, you had to know enough to plan that out. You deserve a 4.0.

Damn, I wish more of my teachers did stuff like that. I could so totally get away with missing the questions that I DO know and regularly get a zero.

crystal_owl

Postby crystal_owl » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:31 pm UTC

Chapel and Assembley are subjects??
www.justgiving.com/sarah88

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:22 pm UTC

There's been a lot of discussion regarding E versus F. Personally, this is the only time I've ever seen or heard of an E grade. (Must be because Jef Mallett is from that state up north....) In fact, in school we always used to make fun of the fact that it went ABCDF. And actually, in fifth grade, it was ABCDU (U for unsatisfactory).
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:28 pm UTC

Uthor wrote:This reminds me of some teachers that would give you a 100% on a multiple choice test if you managed to get a 0%. The thinking was that you had to know enough to get that 0% as guessing would still give you 20% and you therefore deserve the 100%.

My thinking is that if you say you will get an A/B/C/D/F report card in alphabetical order, you had to know enough to plan that out. You deserve a 4.0.

I once knew a guy who missed every question on the SAT. The universities assumed he was brilliant and let him in, no questions asked. He failed out pretty quickly.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

muteKi
Angry is too weak a term. Try "Fluffy".

Postby muteKi » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:19 pm UTC

That comment just made my day.

smasher

Postby smasher » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:08 am UTC

my friend pointed out that you can spell banana on your report card (cause our school has N's)

and it made my day.

i was thinking about it, but it didn't happen.

jib

Postby jib » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:34 am UTC

I can spell an uncyclopedia article with my grades.

http://tinyurl.com/2v2t72

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:40 am UTC

There is what appears to be a picture of Narsil on that web page.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Netrilix

Postby Netrilix » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:58 am UTC

In my high school, Es were given as attendance failures. If you had an E, you were failing, but your actual grade percentage was based out of 64. So if you had 100% and failed due to attendance, you now have a 64%, which is relatively easy to bring back up to passing the following quarter. If you had a 50% and failed due to attendance, you now have a 32%, which is quite a bit harder to make up.

(I'll post in the welcome thread later, I have to get ready for work. :P )

Keroppi

Postby Keroppi » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:34 pm UTC

d33p wrote:In my elementary school, it was "S" for Satisfactory, "I" for Incomplete, "U" for Unsatisfactory... and "E" for Excellent.

Ditto. I remember my brother (who is 12 years older) being confused because of all the E's (and the U in reading. I read anything that stayed put).

In any case, I think in this comic, it's not so much that he failed a class on purpose, it's that he was going to fail anyway and thought of a way for it to be pleasing. Also, I don't know if 'aesthetically' is the right adjective, because he's not telling him what fonts to print the report cards in. ^o^

Kythyria

Postby Kythyria » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:31 am UTC

In Britain the GCSE tests are graded A*,A-G,U. However, most subjects have "Higher Tier " and "Foundation Tier" versions of the tests. On the foundation tests you can't get above a C, no matter how good you are, and on the higher tests the grades only go down to something like a C before you get a U (ungraded). AFAIK, the A* grade exists just because too many people were getting As. That leads to claims of "grade inflation", and proposals to create an A** grade.

How long before proposals to create A*** or even An, where n is the number of stars.
Maurog wrote:I prefer "If God didn't want us to have X, He wouldn't have given us brains", with X being any human invention except religion.

pKp

Postby pKp » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:30 pm UTC

In France, grades are from 1 to 20. Guess one could go for 1/2/3/5/7/11/13/17 (or 1/2/3/5/8/13). Less fun it is, though.
Experience is a thing you can't have for nothing - Oscar wilde

Netrilix

Postby Netrilix » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:38 pm UTC

pKp wrote:In France, grades are from 1 to 20. Guess one could go for 1/2/3/5/7/11/13/17 (or 1/2/3/5/8/13). Less fun it is, though.

Personally, I'd prefer 1/1/2/3/5/8/13. That's where you'd hit a dead end though, as there is no 21.

pKp

Postby pKp » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:49 pm UTC

Erf :/ My bad for misquoting the Fibonacci sequence.
Experience is a thing you can't have for nothing - Oscar wilde

Netrilix

Postby Netrilix » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:03 pm UTC

pKp wrote:Erf :/ My bad for misquoting the Fibonacci sequence.

Ahh, I gave you more credit than that. I figured it was just some sequence I didn't recognize.

Vagabundus

Re: 0336: "Priorities"

Postby Vagabundus » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:52 am UTC

Short version: At least 20 years ago or so, Purdue University allowed E grades, "conditional failures." This dusty grade option, unlike the flat-out F failing grade, could not be replaced with the grade from a second shot at the class, but rather changed the E to a C upon the completion of one or more class assignments. Thus the E grade allowed a student who would otherwise fail the course, to finish some course work and have the E changed to a C. The only other option was to fail to do the required work at which point the E would automatically change to an F, a full failure.

The E was thus a clever attempt to foil the system vandalism and grade-gaming of certain students clever enough to realize they would earn a higher overall GPA by intentionally failing a difficult (or inconvenient) course so that they could take the course again--probably with a different instructor who had no way of knowing this was not the first time this student had been through this class--thus gaming the system by patching a "reset" into each course. If you do well, great. If you don't do A work, then intentionally fail the class so you could take another shot at the A. Repeat as necessary, but once committed to the fail-reset option do not fail to actually fail the class. C or D grades are unacceptable because only a complete course failure would allow the retaking of the course and offer another shot at getting that A..

The more complete story:

At Purdue, an interesting find became an insurance policy against a certain form of gamesmanship by clever students.

A few instructors discovered among the dusty pages of serially ignored academic policies an E grade, and came to understand this dusty and overlooked grade option as a tool agaisnt the few students who would rather work hard at gaming the system than working hard and mastering the course.

The F grade was, of course, for failing a class.

The E grade was "conditional failure."

This is why it mattered, and why this makes the comic even more striking, if it occurs in a university with an E conditional failure grade:

Any students who get an old-fashioned F on their grade report, may retake the class until they receive a grade other than E or F. So the first non-failing grade would be the grade used to calculate GPA. Even though failed attempts at retaking specific classes are a part of the academic transcript, any failed class could be retaken with no penalty to GPA. The catch--to protect the system against "career students" who kept taking classes over and over until they managed to grab a 4.0 GPA, is that only failed classes could be retaken without affecting their GPA.

In short, the student who received four consecutive failing grades for the same class, then experienced the light and earned a shiny A, and the student who scored the easy A the first time through the class, would end up with the same effect on their GPA!

The trick was to be very certain to fail the class. If you somehow miscounted and received a D, that was the end. You could retake the class, but the D=1 would be part of the calculation for your GPA forever. If you won the elusive F grade, however, only the grade for the successful pass--even if it was an A--became part of your overall GPA calculation.

Hence the beauty of the forgotten E.

When reporting an E grade for a student on the end-of-semester grade report, the instructor notes what assignments are required to resolve the E. Very simply put, when you successfully finished the required assignments the E turned into a C. Yet unlike a real F, any class failed conditionally could not be retaken for a higher grade! The only option was to complete the missing assignments at which time the E automatically translated into a course C, or to ignore the E which then, also automatically, became an F for the class--GPA-wise, F=0.

Pragmatically, the knowledge that a specific instructor "had the E and wasn't afraid to use it" would take the "intentional F ploy" right off the table. The student could either actually engage in the class as a real student working to achieve as high a score as was possible, or to risk the F (without opportunity to retake the class to replace the F) and ensuing effect on their GPA. For the instructor armed with the E could turn in the list of class assignments the formerly crafty student failed to complete with the E grade and walk away, free. The Registrar's office would take over the issue, monitoring either the completion (C=2) or the failure to complete (F=0).

. . .

I don't know how this could ever be communicated in a strip. . .

RebeccaRGB

Re: 0336: "Priorities"

Postby RebeccaRGB » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:38 am UTC

(That's from my own stick-figure webcomic.)
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”