0346: "Diet Coke+Mentos"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Someursault

Re: Discussion: Diet Coke+Mentos

Postby Someursault » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:21 am UTC

"these web comics are so bad" is a parody blog. I find it pretty funny, although not as funny as the enraged fans who don't get the joke and call him a retard.
"Attention, Morte. I have a question. Do you have a destiny? A purpose?"
"Is Annah still wearing clothes?"
"Affirmative."
"Then the answer is yes."

laurenb

Postby laurenb » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:27 am UTC

Piarew wrote:This is the first time I've seen an xkcd with a pbfcomics-style punch line.

I like it!

I thought of PBF too! The punchline is rather dark and sad for xkcd, but still amusing.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:41 am UTC

I have to echo all claims of the awesomeness of today's strip.

Also: I agree that the bad comics blog isn't that funny, but the fact that it's hard to tell if he's being sarcastic isn't an insult to his bad satire skills, but rather an insult to the rest of the Internet, for containing people who actually are that stupid. It's the same reason why you should never do satire in YouTube comments... people just can't tell you're not being serious... the usual "there's no way someone could think something so stupid, he must be joking" trigger doesn't fire, because of how stupid all the other comments are.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Workaphobia

Postby Workaphobia » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:01 am UTC

laurenb wrote:
Piarew wrote:This is the first time I've seen an xkcd with a pbfcomics-style punch line.

I like it!

I thought of PBF too! The punchline is rather dark and sad for xkcd, but still amusing.

PBF and XKCD are kind of closely related in my mind, partly because I discovered them within close proximity to one another. Today's xkcd is dark enough to pass for a happy pbf. Some pbfs are geeky enough to pass for xkcd: for example, this one.

I've found that almost all PBFs fall into one of two categories: Getting what you asked for, and getting owned by something of larger scale.
Evidently, the key to understanding recursion is to begin by understanding recursion.

The rest is easy.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:07 am UTC

Someursault wrote:"these web comics are so bad" is a parody blog. I find it pretty funny, although not as funny as the enraged fans who don't get the joke and call him a retard.
I get the joke, I just think it's particularly unfunny.

PS a parody on what?
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

from canada

Postby from canada » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:22 am UTC

I too found today's comic in itself quite funny, showing off the awesome combined power of mentos and diet coke. The reference to that blog made it all the better.
"these web comics are so bad" is a parody blog. I find it pretty funny, although not as funny as the enraged fans who don't get the joke and call him a retard.

From what the author wrote, I'm sure the "enraged fans" are pretty much what they were aiming for. This type of sarcastic-humour style can basically be broken down like this:

1. Select a topic to argue that will have "fanatics" either for or against it

2. Take the side of the argument that opposes the majority's view. (ie. xckd sucks)

3. Make a long winded rant that starts off serious and gradually degrades into something on the level of incoherent babbling.

4. Wait for some "fanatics" to believe you.

5. Laugh at them.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:27 am UTC

Moo wrote:The fact that I don't believe you (or perhaps the info given to you), fiddler, is in no way a slight on yourself.

Then you are saying that you don't believe davean and, by extension, xkcd himself.

*shrug*

Have it your way. It really doesn't bother me one way or another, but I thought you guys would like to know the truth.
Someursault wrote:"these web comics are so bad" is a parody blog. I find it pretty funny, although not as funny as the enraged fans who don't get the joke and call him a retard.

The problem, as davean and xkcd said, with that blog, is it is utterly incomprehensible. Difficult to make it through an entire sentence and have any idea what he is trying to say.

It may be a joke, but it is very poorly written.
Moo wrote:
I get the joke, I just think it's particularly unfunny.

PS a parody on what?

A parody on blogs that really do rate webcomics.

Code J

Postby Code J » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:29 am UTC

This comic wins.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:33 am UTC

thefiddler wrote:
Moo wrote:The fact that I don't believe you (or perhaps the info given to you), fiddler, is in no way a slight on yourself.

Then you are saying that you don't believe davean and, by extension, xkcd himself.

*shrug*

Have it your way. It really doesn't bother me one way or another, but I thought you guys would like to know the truth.

I think it's funny how so many here see Randy as some kind of inaccessible deity or something, who no regular forumites could possibly be in, you know, communication with or something.

Guys, coming to your own conclusions about God's plans is fine. Viva la Reformation and all that. But there actually *is* a fact of the matter as to the chronology of comic writing and the reasons behind them and stuff.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

the human perl script

Postby the human perl script » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:34 am UTC

from canada wrote:From what the author wrote, I'm sure the "enraged fans" are pretty much what they were aiming for. This type of sarcastic-humour style can basically be broken down like this:
2. Take the side of the argument that opposes the majority's view. (ie. xckd sucks)
3. Make a long winded rant that starts off serious and gradually degrades into something on the level of incoherent babbling.
5. Laugh at them.

It's called trolling. Come on guys, this is XKCD, you're supposed to know what trolling is! :D

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:37 am UTC

the human perl script wrote:
from canada wrote:From what the author wrote, I'm sure the "enraged fans" are pretty much what they were aiming for. This type of sarcastic-humour style can basically be broken down like this:
5. Laugh at them.

It's called trolling. Come on guys, this is XKCD, you're supposed to know what trolling is! :D

No, trolling is where you take these actions to the home of the target. ;)
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

Workaphobia

Postby Workaphobia » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 am UTC

from canada wrote:I too found today's comic in itself quite funny, showing off the awesome combined power of mentos and diet coke. The reference to that blog made it all the better.

From what the author wrote, I'm sure the "enraged fans" are pretty much what they were aiming for. This type of sarcastic-humour style can basically be broken down like this:

5. Laugh at them.

I saw a similar style of "satire" a while ago pertaining to Linux. I don't know if it was the origin of the term, but it described the operating system as "Lunix" and spewed some outrageous statements in an attempt at humor. It attracted swarms of people to complain in its comments, but the fact that it wasn't serious did not save it from the fact that it was not funny either.

On that note, I'd kind of like to see Linux get mocked in a Dave Barry kind of way.
Evidently, the key to understanding recursion is to begin by understanding recursion.

The rest is easy.

SnArL

Postby SnArL » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:42 am UTC

You know what else is cool? Mixing nail polish remover(acetone ONLY) and bleach!

Makes my dates a LOT easier! <_<

(seriously, kids. Do NOT mix up chloroform in your kitchen and then use it to rape people. That's bad....mmmmkay?)
It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye.
The it's fun and games with no depth perception!

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:47 am UTC

mathmagic wrote:No, trolling is where you take these actions to the home of the target. ;)

No, trolling is where you take these action to a bridge.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

madjo

Postby madjo » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:55 am UTC

I actually didn't find this comic all that fantastic. But I guess tastes differ. :)
It's too random for my taste.
:)

You are carrying:
- a slightly paranoid Android
- two left feet (not my own)
- a still unfed and very hungry hippo
- broadsword of +5 ridiculousness stained with the blood of the undead souls
- a stetson Resistol, cuz stetson Resistols are cool.

Edna
Raptors: 4, Humans: 0

Postby Edna » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:13 am UTC

I think this is super fantastic, and by far the funniest one for a while.

Tiptop :)

Aviatrix

Postby Aviatrix » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:25 am UTC

I liked the reference to non-Newtonian fluids, because I just found out about those about a year ago, while researching "cool things to do in science class". We never played with oobleck when I was a kid.

I wonder if I put Mentos in Diet Coke I'd get a more interesting childhood.

Nullius in Verba

Postby Nullius in Verba » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:11 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
thefiddler wrote:

*shrug*

I think it's funny how so many here see Randy as some kind of inaccessible deity or something, who no regular forumites could possibly be in, you know, communication with or something.

This, itself- is more or less a good point. Except for the part where it ruins the fun of the reference to the comic review. So I thought about it. And came up with a Randall-Deity model borrowing heavily from Sethian gnosticism in which you only think you are in regular communication with Randall, but are, in actuality, speaking with a much less awesome and amusing deity who is trying to pass himself off as Randall.

There, now everyone is happy. Randall is, in fact, humanly accessible, but still made this comic in response to the blog entry and it is only an even-more-accessible impostor of Randall that tells us otherwise.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:26 am UTC

Workaphobia wrote:I saw a similar style of "satire" a while ago pertaining to Linux. I don't know if it was the origin of the term, but it described the operating system as "Lunix" and spewed some outrageous statements in an attempt at humor. It attracted swarms of people to complain in its comments, but the fact that it wasn't serious did not save it from the fact that it was not funny either.

I believe you're thinking of adequacy.org, and in particular, Is Your Son a Computer Hacker?. A site which I found kinda funny, at times, but only after I realised it wasn't serious, which took quite a while (due to the aforementioned prevalence of stupid Internet people who could probably say all of that and be serious).

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:42 am UTC

thefiddler wrote:

*shrug*

Seriously, not a slight on yourself or any of the revered mods or xkcd or anything. I don't disbelieve that you have it from the horse's mouth. The clarity/info is appreciated, especially since there have been a few comics recently where I am convinced xkcd's intention was one thing and a whole bunch of forumites believes another, and I would have killed to know what he really meant.

It's a funny comic all it's own anyway but I believe on some level it must have drawn a tiny bit of inspiration from the unfunnyman's babbling. Just a bit? Surely? But hey maybe that's just me. No biggie.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Cai

Postby Cai » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:30 am UTC

I don't think anyone actually keeps mentos in their kitchen. :roll:
Dreamers never live, only dream of it.
first.am

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:03 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:No, trolling is where you take these action to a bridge.

So, does this mean that the late James Brown was a big advocate of trolling?

Azraelle

Postby Azraelle » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:19 pm UTC

dp wrote:That's brilliant --- I may have laughed a little too loud at work..........
I've also heard that if you make a virgin sacrifice to a bicarb soda + vinegar volcano you're cat will come back to life

... I'd rather keep the virgin. And the soda.

I find the comic funny because it was ludicrous and totally wasn't what I was expecting. And things like that make someone like me giggle.
Obligatory self-promoting signature starts here.
Bristled - surprise, it's a comic.
Thank you for your understanding. We now return you to your regularly-scheduled end of my post.

exarch

Postby exarch » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:42 pm UTC

It reminds me of this comic, i.e. someone is doing science, and then for no apparent reason a 'miracle' happens.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:51 pm UTC

For a minute, I thought the rumors of xkcd jumping the shark last week were true. Then I saw the forum posts and read the 'parody' blog entry. If in fact this comic is alluding to that blog, then it's okay. I certainly hope it is. I now await Wednesday's comic, which will hopefully be a return to xkcd's usual style.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Beyondthewall

Postby Beyondthewall » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:53 pm UTC

Cai wrote:I don't think anyone actually keeps mentos in their kitchen. :roll:

Dead wrong there, mate. I've got somewhere between 3 and 10 packages at any given time, depending on how hard my roommate's been hitting them.
I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when you looked at it in the right way, did not become still more complicated.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:57 pm UTC

thefiddler wrote:
Locus Cosecant wrote:I can only assume that this comic is a reference to this, which is totally awesome.

Well, I just asked and it isn't. Sorry to pop everybody's bubble, but the word from the man himself is that it isn't in response to that. It is just a cute coincidence.

Oh. Just saw that post. Now I'm disappointed. Oh well, guess you can't really expect every comic to be good. Time to go read the archive again while waiting for Wednesday's comic.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Pesto

Postby Pesto » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:11 pm UTC

It's still good, even if it wasn't a reference to that blog. And xkcd hasn't jumped the shark.

Green9090

Postby Green9090 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:32 pm UTC

I'm still extremely inclined to think that the comic was a reference to that blog, because it made it like 10 times funnier for me.
Belial wrote:A man with more arms than the entire hindu pantheon and thirty goddamn dicks has no time for logic! He must consume ever more bacon to fuel his incalculable manhood!

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:38 pm UTC

Nullius in Verba wrote:This, itself- is more or less a good point. Except for the part where it ruins the fun of the reference to the comic review. So I thought about it. And came up with a Randall-Deity model borrowing heavily from Sethian gnosticism in which you only think you are in regular communication with Randall, but are, in actuality, speaking with a much less awesome and amusing deity who is trying to pass himself off as Randall.

There, now everyone is happy. Randall is, in fact, humanly accessible, but still made this comic in response to the blog entry and it is only an even-more-accessible impostor of Randall that tells us otherwise.

This goes along with the whole Randall Munroe isn't the man we think he is, theory. The theory that he is a guy who lives in Cambridge MA and used to live with Belial in VA and such, but that the public appearances are all by a different dude entirely. Which, I can vouch, that unless Belial and Bitches are both in on this plan, is completely ludicrous.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:56 pm UTC

Moo wrote:It's a funny comic all it's own anyway but I believe on some level it must have drawn a tiny bit of inspiration from the unfunnyman's babbling. Just a bit? Surely?

I wasn't privy to Fiddles' conversation, but I *was* in the apartment to witness much of Randall's working model for comic production, and it's very likely (though by no means guaranteed) that that comic was already finished, scanned, and uploaded into his automated queue before that other guy's review even hit the internet. Randy keeps a backlog of finished comics so that he always has a buffer (though he will slip newer comics ahead in the line if he has a particularly time-sensitive joke he wants to make or just a strip he's really proud of). So chances are high that it just *couldn't* have been influenced by that review.

Sorry.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:57 pm UTC

One wonders what would happen if vibrating corn starch + water was somehow COMBINED with coke + mentos awesomeness.

Anyone read Cats Cradle? Remember Ice-9? Maybe awesomeness would crystallize out in the universe and if the two were combined and it would be... Awesome-9.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:11 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I wasn't privy to Fiddles' conversation, but I *was* in the apartment to witness much of Randall's working model for comic production, and it's very likely (though by no means guaranteed) that that comic was already finished, scanned, and uploaded into his automated queue before that other guy's review even hit the internet. Randy keeps a backlog of finished comics so that he always has a buffer (though he will slip newer comics ahead in the line if he has a particularly time-sensitive joke he wants to make or just a strip he's really proud of). So chances are high that it just *couldn't* have been influenced by that review.

Sorry.
This is also an awesome prospect. Randall is so good, he created a comic exactly like what Mr Blog Man wanted, before MBM even knew he wanted it.
Last edited by Moo on Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Green9090

Postby Green9090 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:12 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:One wonders what would happen if vibrating corn starch + water was somehow COMBINED with coke + mentos awesomeness.

I wonder what would happen if you could totally submerge a bottle of diet coke in cornstarch and water, and then add mentos...
Belial wrote:A man with more arms than the entire hindu pantheon and thirty goddamn dicks has no time for logic! He must consume ever more bacon to fuel his incalculable manhood!

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:15 pm UTC

I get the diet coke+mentos reference, I just don't get the dad thing, even after reading the blog.
edit: found the joke comic, I didn't read that far into it apparently.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:48 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
Moo wrote:It's a funny comic all it's own anyway but I believe on some level it must have drawn a tiny bit of inspiration from the unfunnyman's babbling. Just a bit? Surely?

I wasn't privy to Fiddles' conversation, but I *was* in the apartment to witness much of Randall's working model for comic production, and it's very likely (though by no means guaranteed) that that comic was already finished, scanned, and uploaded into his automated queue before that other guy's review even hit the internet. Randy keeps a backlog of finished comics so that he always has a buffer (though he will slip newer comics ahead in the line if he has a particularly time-sensitive joke he wants to make or just a strip he's really proud of). So chances are high that it just *couldn't* have been influenced by that review.

Sorry.

Thanks Belial.

davean said that the comic *was not influenced* by the blog. It's not a hard thing to grasp.

bcoblentz

Postby bcoblentz » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:32 pm UTC

The guy on the left is trying to show his friend on the right the coolest thing ever, but his friend's dad one-ups him by popping back into existence (seemingly ex nihilo), which is arguably cooler.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:33 pm UTC

Pesto wrote:It's still good, even if it wasn't a reference to that blog. And xkcd hasn't jumped the shark.

I wasn't trying to imply that xkcd had jumped the shark. To clarify: xkcd will never jump the shark; it's too awesome, like Dilbert or FoxTrot. I was just saying that this comic certainly fits in with all the people who, in the last thread, said that xkcd was jumping the shark. Randall does a 1337 miniseries, to rave reviews. And what does he follow it up with? Diet Coke & Mentos bringing a kid's dad back. wtf? It was quite disappointing. But I have faith that on Wednesday xkcd will return to its usual brilliance.

Disclaimer: yes, I realize I said "jump the shark" like three times in different verb tenses. It's just a funny-sounding phrase! And yes, I have seen that episode of "Happy Days."

Sartorius

Postby Sartorius » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:41 pm UTC

thefiddler wrote:davean said that the comic *was not influenced* by the blog. It's not a hard thing to grasp.

It's sure an odd coincidence, though, after reading that dumb "parody" blog *just yesterday* and coming back today to see this comic. Really, the fact that it's mere coincidence is a bit astounding.

Personally I think that makes the comic incredibly amusing, regardless if it was intended or not.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

apotheosis

Postby apotheosis » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:50 pm UTC

Domovoi wrote:
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:No, trolling is where you take these action to a bridge.

So, does this mean that the late James Brown was a big advocate of trolling?

See? This is the sort of thing that XKCD engenders--a page and a half into a fairly serious discussion of the comic, satire, parody, poorly done satire, and so forth, there emerges yet another genuinely funny line. Bravo, Domovoi. Such gems are why I continue to mine these fora.

"Sex Machine" is now playing in my head. Thanks.
Touché, you smartass.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”