0347: "Brick Archway"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Keroppi

Re: "Brick Archway" Discussion

Postby Keroppi » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:01 pm UTC

I had the folly of choosing a TI-86 myself.

:( Worst decision of my life.

tradiuz

Postby tradiuz » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:06 pm UTC

power wrote:I feel seriously old school now for having had a TI-85 and not a TI-86. Sadly, after multiple drops, immersions in liquids, dead pixels, and broken keys, it is no more.

I have two TI-85s. One has a stripe of bad pixels, and the other has a bad key (can't remember which). It was great when teachers wanted to wipe the memory of graphing calculators... I'd just swap back out when I was ready to take the test. I liked being able to play games after taking the test while I waited for everyone else to finish.
All My Mushrooms wrote:I'm practicing abstinence until someone offers me sex.

nameless
Fooled you; My name is Inigo Montoya

Postby nameless » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:15 pm UTC

hmm, I just got an 89 titanium and I haven't figured out how to use everything. I'm still trying to find some games for it too....

Funny how the alt text started us all on our Graphing calculators....
Wayne Weiten wrote:Sexual intercourse is really a pretty simple activity. Most animals execute the act with a minimum of difficulty. However, humans manage to make sexual relations terribly complicated

JFarceur

Postby JFarceur » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:44 pm UTC

Why is everybody talking about Breakout and Tetris, and no still one spoke about Breakris ?
JFarceur
Vandole for President 2008!

Areldyb

Postby Areldyb » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:41 am UTC

I actually had to put a start-up password on my 83+ SE back in high school, because people would steal it and drain the batteries playing Phoenix and Tetris. Of course, then they'd steal it and drain the batteries trying to break the passcode. Good times...

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:26 am UTC

Domovoi wrote:
suso wrote:
Domovoi wrote:
1337geek wrote:Weird, though, how I'm reading my new autographed copy of iWoz, and I just read the part where Steve invented Breakout.

By Steve, you mean Steve Bristow and Nolan Bushnell, right? Unless by 'invented', you mean 'designed the hardware'.

I thought it was Steve Jobs who at least designed the game when he was at Atari? Alright, let's settle this. From the Wikipedia article on Steve Jobs (which this section has been modified since I last read it to include more accurate information):

"He returned to his previous job at Atari and was given the task of creating a circuit board for the game Breakout. According to Atari Founder Nolan Bushnell, Atari had offered US$100 for each chip that was reduced in the machine. Jobs had little interest or knowledge in circuit board design and made a deal with Wozniak to split the bonus evenly between them if Wozniak could minimize the number of chips. Much to the amazement of Atari, Wozniak reduced the number of chips by 50, a design so tight that it was impossible to reproduce on an assembly line. At the time, Jobs told Wozniak that Atari had only given them US$700 (instead of the actual US$5000) and that Wozniak's share was thus US$350."

The Wikipedia article on Breakout states that it was Bushnell and Bristow that conceived the game and designed the concept, then contacted Jobs to create it, who passed it on to Wozniak. And although Wikipedia is in no way the definitive authority, that's the version I always heard as well. Woz having 'invented' it seems a bit of a stretch, although he did build the very first incarnation.

Atari wanted a one-player Pong-like game. Jobs brought the idea to Woz because they wanted an outsider to work on the project. The book kind of glazed over this part, but I think Woz had the idea and then they both worked on making it, with Woz doing most of the technical work. I think that's right, given that I've heard the story twice now, once in person from his own mouth and then again from reading the book, but I shall re-read it to make sure. If anyone else who has the book wants to check and beat me to posting, feel free, since I may or may not have Net access over the next couple days.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

from canada

Postby from canada » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:53 am UTC

"He returned to his previous job at Atari and was given the task of creating a circuit board for the game Breakout. According to Atari Founder Nolan Bushnell, Atari had offered US$100 for each chip that was reduced in the machine. Jobs had little interest or knowledge in circuit board design and made a deal with Wozniak to split the bonus evenly between them if Wozniak could minimize the number of chips. Much to the amazement of Atari, Wozniak reduced the number of chips by 50, a design so tight that it was impossible to reproduce on an assembly line. At the time, Jobs told Wozniak that Atari had only given them US$700 (instead of the actual US$5000) and that Wozniak's share was thus US$350."

During the summer I was tasked with reading "The Ultimate History of Video Games" by Steven L. Kent, that details the starting up of the video game industry to all the way to about 2001. And I definitely recall the quoted series of events being mentioned in that book, almost exactly as they are in the quotes and on wikipedia under the "History and development" section of Breakout.

I didn't catch all of the discussion, but hope that helps one way or another.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:28 am UTC

Found the part of iWoz about Breakout. Can't post the whole section for fear of copyright infringement, but here's the important part. If you wanna know the rest of the story, go read it.

Steve Wozniak wrote:Steve called me at work one day saying that Nolan wanted to do another Pong-like game. Nolan wanted me to do it because he knew how good I was at doing designs with the fewest possible chips. Nolan had been complaining that the Atari games were going higher and higher in chip count, approaching two hundred chips for a single game. He wanted them to be simpler. And he'd seen how good I was at that.

Steve said Nolan wanted a one-player version of Pong, but with bricks that would bounce the ball back to the paddle.

"You gotta get in here," he said. "They're right. You'd be perfect for it."

He then goes on to describe how he designed the game in four days. So there you have it. Nolan Bushnell had the idea, Steve Wozniak designed it, Steve Jobs physically put the hardware pieces together.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:53 am UTC

1337geek wrote:Found the part of iWoz about Breakout. Can't post the whole section for fear of copyright infringement, but here's the important part. If you wanna know the rest of the story, go read it.

Steve Wozniak wrote:Steve called me at work one day saying that Nolan wanted to do another Pong-like game. Nolan wanted me to do it because he knew how good I was at doing designs with the fewest possible chips. Nolan had been complaining that the Atari games were going higher and higher in chip count, approaching two hundred chips for a single game. He wanted them to be simpler. And he'd seen how good I was at that.

Steve said Nolan wanted a one-player version of Pong, but with bricks that would bounce the ball back to the paddle.

"You gotta get in here," he said. "They're right. You'd be perfect for it."

He then goes on to describe how he designed the game in four days. So there you have it. Nolan Bushnell had the idea, Steve Wozniak designed it, Steve Jobs physically put the hardware pieces together.

Well, there you go. That's roughly how I remembered it.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:45 am UTC

I was too cheap to actually buy anything more than a $15 solar calculator in high school, but they let us borrow some 83s. I programmed all sorts of stupid things on them. Simple Pong clones, fake Game Boy emulators (long loading screen, then an error message), little drawing app, etc. And there was no guarantee I'd get the same one again, so each calculator had a different set of programs on it. People were always looking in the menus to see what I'd put in there.

Two of my favourites were "100 bottles of beer on the wall" and a fairly accurate clock timed by for loops. And of course I always made sure to leave stupid little messages to the next person.

In college I was fortunate enough to have a laptop, but no good wifi signal in class. A few times though they had English class in another room, where there was a good wifi signal. Funny how I never seemed to do as good on assignments that were given in that room. (Had a good strong signal in math class, but no excuse to be actually using a laptop. I was always able to quickly pull it out though and tune into an online radio station. :mrgreen: )
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

TomBot

Postby TomBot » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:47 pm UTC

Yes, graphing calculators sure are fun. I had a TI-83+, and loaded all sorts of games on it. (There is a Doom clone for it, though the 1000ms response of the LCD makes it unplayable.) I also remember hex-editing ZTris's random number generator to always give me long pieces. My math teachers didn't much care if we weren't using the homework time well. The study hall teachers, on the other hand, were mad with power. Once I got "busted" when I wasn't even playing games, just fooling around with the legitimate functionality.

I think it's kind of sad the calculators are so expensive. A tiny monochrome LCD, a Z80, and 128k of flash should not cost $100. I guess the problem is that schools request a particular model, so TI has a monopoly. I think they ought to make one with a fast color screen, a better CPU, and a free devkit. In other words, a PDA that's still ostensibly a calculator. Oh well, now I have a laptop.

zenten

Postby zenten » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:03 pm UTC

yet another one wrote:It is prohibited for us to use such calculators. We have simple two-line Casio calculators.

The comic is awesome, but I think Tetris would be funnier. (Falling on to a huge number of people would be cool, as long as nobody is falling on you.)

I was the same way. Both in highschool and University. We did have some classes on using graphic calculators in high school math class, but they weren't ours to keep, and it was just in case we ever needed to use them in the future.

sab39

Postby sab39 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:28 pm UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:I was always able to quickly pull it out though

That's what SHE said!

...wait, what?

yet another one

Postby yet another one » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:09 pm UTC

sab39 wrote:
'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:I was always able to quickly pull it out though

That's what SHE said!

. . . perhabs during sex?
fix'd.
At least we are the people.

chishm

Postby chishm » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:14 am UTC

I got bored of the games on my TI-83 (original), so I wrote a program in TI-83 BASIC, on the calculator, to plot the Mandelbrot set. It took 6 hours to complete and used enough batteries to require a contrast adjustment of 2 levels, but in the end I had the Mandelbrot set in all it's black and white glory.

muteKi
Angry is too weak a term. Try "Fluffy".

Postby muteKi » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:33 am UTC

VectorZero wrote:My god, i remember being so happy once I didn't have to keep using the 82's. Way to make me feel old and nerdy.

On a related note, given it has not yet come up, was my school the only one with Ti-83 pr0n?

HUH WTF LOL?
I WANT.

chb1848 wrote:I,m a long time lurker here so I just had to register to post this :-).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVgEDSjISQw

The best part is that there is a TI-89 Tetris clone that has many of those modes! (And puyo tetris FTW)

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:20 am UTC

muteKi wrote:
VectorZero wrote:My god, i remember being so happy once I didn't have to keep using the 82's. Way to make me feel old and nerdy.

On a related note, given it has not yet come up, was my school the only one with Ti-83 pr0n?

HUH WTF LOL?
I WANT.

Someone came up with a program that cycled through 6 "pictures" (i.e. pixel maps in glorious 2 colour - on and off) thus faking six colour greyscale.

I think there was a topless photo of Pammy.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

Xiphias

Postby Xiphias » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:45 pm UTC

Consider me crazy if you want, but wouldn't this comic make for the coolest T-Shirt ever? o.O

I must be able to wear this! MY NIPPLES MUST FEEL SPECIAL.

smasher

Postby smasher » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:19 pm UTC

you know that its funny and not just stupid when people who disagree with you still laugh and think its a great comic.

this is a funny comic, even though i disagree. its a great game! but hella annoying at times.

also, did this thread become a discussion on graphing calculators?

awesome guys.

teucer

Postby teucer » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:32 am UTC

danopia

Re: 0347: "Brick Archway"

Postby danopia » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:35 pm UTC

My high school gives out 83+'s to Juniors and 84's to Seniors. I bought a personal 83+ Sophomore and personal 84 Junior, but took the school's calcs too so I temporarily have 3 calcs. I download games (Mario, frogger, tetris, additional levels and/or level editor for Mario, & PuzzPack, to name a few) to my 84 and P2P them around to everybody I know who has the school's calcs. The only problem is that the Educational versions have very little RAM and don't fit much more than 5 apps, but my personal 84 came with ~30 apps preinstalled. (Block Dude is fun, but so is the three-in-a-row thing on endless mode)

In other news, junior year I got an Acer Aspire with Ubuntu on it and I use it all over. Typing up reports, doing research, drawing 3D molecules, gnome-periodic-table, calcuations, and most importantly, facebook/youtube via a private ssh proxy (and private key). There's only one unsecured wifi node in the school, run by the math dept. guy from his office. Outside of the math wing I have to use ethernet or tether a Droid to my laptop to get network, but there's enough dev tools to keep myself busy.

No one else brings a laptop, btw.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”