0352: "Far Away"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Paper

Re: "Far Away" Discussion

Postby Paper » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:37 pm UTC

This morning I had a sad but comfortingly nerdy thought about the pop-up text:

2 AM cross-country trips are necessary but not sufficient. :(

UltramaticOrange

Postby UltramaticOrange » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:39 pm UTC

JPJ007 wrote:"Why the !@#$ is he using the official AIM client?"

...Warn is present, so I'd guess DeadAIM is involved.

Also, this'll teach me to read XKCD at work. Looks like a day for lunch with the wife.

ZeroStyle

Postby ZeroStyle » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:44 pm UTC

UltramaticOrange wrote:
JPJ007 wrote:"Why the !@#$ is he using the official AIM client?"

...Warn is present, so I'd guess DeadAIM is involved.

Or just an old version, like 5.9 (the last good one)

UltramaticOrange

Postby UltramaticOrange » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:48 pm UTC

ZeroStyle wrote:Or just an old version, like 5.9 (the last good one)

Reference: AIM at OldVersion

LilPixie

Postby LilPixie » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:23 pm UTC

Paper wrote:This morning I had a sad but comfortingly nerdy thought about the pop-up text:

2 AM cross-country trips are necessary but not sufficient. :(

So very true; sometimes just isn't enough.
It's still worth trying though, right? ::internal monologue:: please say yes, please say yes...

On another note; a lot of people here have been through this. Lovely.
"In the pursuit of knowledge, everyday something is acquired; in the pursuit of wisdom, everyday something is dropped." Lao Tzu

xkcd_n00bz

Postby xkcd_n00bz » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:29 pm UTC

It's like he's in my head. I'm in a long distance relationship. Not as long as some, two and half hours.

We didn't get to see each other this weekend, so last nite we made plans to sneak away from work early tonite and meet in the middle for an early dinner. I got the txt msg from her confirming plans about 30 seconds before I checked today's comic.

Spooky.
I am +20 dB hot.

Vekter
Now I am become Beth, the employer of squirrels

Postby Vekter » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:43 pm UTC

>.>

Randall just read my fucking MIND. I've been in a long-distance relationship for about 1 and a half years now, and that's how I always feel. D:
:lol: HOBO BONUS :lol:

SoapyHobo wrote:Where there's penis, there's Narsil

>:3

Eleyras

Postby Eleyras » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:47 pm UTC

The thing is, google maps says the cross country trip is 30-some hours long (2,800 miles). I figure I could make it in 4 solid days of driving. And yet, it would fuck over all this life stuff here.

Ah well. Good to know that he'll be here on Friday!
At some point, I will remember to sig quotes I find amusing or something.

...once I stop laughing.

Elithrion

Postby Elithrion » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:08 pm UTC

So, for those of you with msn.. er.. windows live messenger, I guess, there's now a custom emoticon a la the comic (you'll need to resort to internet explorer to download/"install", sadly, but I couldn't find another way to make it more than the tiny size). Contrary to the thumbnail, it's the full body shot, same as the comic. Now forgive me while I go off to act forlorn and/or finish algebra homework.

PS: not really sure whether the fact that I registered for both these fora and windows galleries just for this one emoticon shows my obsession with emotes, with xkcd, or just how much use this will be seeing.

visel

Postby visel » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:23 pm UTC

I registered to comment on this comic...

I can relate to this on so many nights at that 2 AM mark.... :cry:

I love xkcd

Viaken

Postby Viaken » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:32 pm UTC

shinylilfish wrote:To those of you in long distance relationships...
Where? and how long?

For me: Pittsburgh and Chicago
4 years

Chattanooga, TN and Perth, West Australia
5.5 years. Hadn't even met her in person til this year.

I signed up just to post this. I've loved xkcd for ages now, but this comic...

Dft

Postby Dft » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:39 pm UTC

plasticsuperhero wrote:My girlfriend lives in Canada. You guys wouldn't know her. :mrgreen:

Avenue Q - 'My Girlfriend, Who Lives in Canada' wrote:Ohhhh...
I wish you could meet my girlfriend, my girlfriend who lives in Canada.
She couldn't be sweeter
I wish you could meet her,
My girlfriend who lives in Canada!

Her name is Alberta
She live in Vancouver
She cooks like my mother
And sucks like a Hoover.

I e-mail her every single day
Just to make sure that everything's okay.
It's a pity she lives so far away, in Canada!

( more: http://www.allmusicals.com/lyrics/avenu ... canada.htm )
( http://youtube.com/watch?v=DEm3xRjdN8A MS Paint style fanvid for the song )

Cowboy

Postby Cowboy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:02 pm UTC

I don't IM and I'm not in an LDR. I was still touched by the comic simply because it's showing true human emotion. The need to actually hug someone you can't and not finding a way of expressing that need with language.

Also, I was forced to learn 'Wish You Were Here' on my guitar after I read the words just now, such a beautiful song.
CaraInFrames wrote:Cowboy, you can both be dicks, okay?

Oxymoronic wrote:woah, woah, woah. Thoughts of details and repurcussions are for like, capitalists man. Stop harshin' my mellow.

dataxpress

Postby dataxpress » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:18 pm UTC

Moo wrote:Come on, you're telling me 12312007 makes sense? Because we always wright things in completely random order of magnitude! It's like writing 100 + 20 + 5 as 152. Silly people.
That sounds totally flamy, sorry. Totally tongue in cheek.

do you list your height as 0"6'? erm, i guess you'd use meters, but you get what i mean.

mm/dd/yy kind of makes sense to your brain though. you say the month first, so they get a general idea of what position it is within the year, and then the day within that month. it's more than likely that they're talking about the current year than they are the current month. then, just in case they're not, the year.

if I say august 26, i first think towards the beginning of the school year and then the end of that month, ish.

and, "December 31st" sounds more english-correct than "31 December" to me, maybe if nothing but in a purely grammatical sense.

and i'm not being "flamy", i'm having a discussion =P
I recommend filling soccer balls with napalm. Napalm is nature's toothpaste.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:35 pm UTC

dataxpress wrote:do you list your height as 0"6'? erm, i guess you'd use meters, but you get what i mean.
Your example has missed my point. If you specify a figure in three units - x, y and z, where x > y > z - you would naturally specify them either as
" 5 x's, 2 y's and 3 z's" or "3 z's, 2 y's and 5 x's". You would not say "5 x's, 3 z's and 2 y's". It's natural to specify things in mathematically ordered magnitude.
Year > month > day, so to specify month / day / year defies that logic. It's like giving coordinates as "5 degrees, 2 seconds and 3 minutes". No sense.

I'm not talking about the words here, mind, just the notations such as dd/mm/yyyy or yyyymmdd. I really don't care if you say "The 31st of December" or "December 31st" although I personally prefer the former.
[/healthy, friendly debate]
Last edited by Moo on Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:50 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Gloria

Postby Gloria » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:42 pm UTC

I was actually the Canadian girlfriend :P ... but I'm real.

I'm in Toronto; he lived in Texas. It went almost two years -- on and off, so that was a sign.

There were two other LDRs that almost happened, but didn't -- one in Colorado, the other in England.

My boyfriend right now asked me out the night before he had to go back to Montreal for school. Clever boy. Luckily, he's finished and moved back to his hometown. We had a LDR there for one year.

Now I'm dating someone who lives a 30-minute walk away, I don't know if I can ever do long-distance again. It's hard. If he has to move out of town for a job (and he's talked about Vancouver and Montreal), I wouldn't know what to do.

FinalSin

Postby FinalSin » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:05 pm UTC

The first panel was a bad set-up, I think. You weren't really sure what to pay attention to. Although it seems to strike a chord with most of you, I don't think it was his best 'romance' one.

lmclapp68

Postby lmclapp68 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:11 pm UTC

Moo wrote:Your example has missed my point. If you specify a figure in three units - x, y and z, where x > y > z - you would naturally specify them either as
" 5 x's, 2 y's and 3 z's" or "3 z's, 2 y's and 5 x's". You would not say "5 x's, 3 z's and 2 y's". It's natural to specify things in mathematically ordered magnitude.
Year > month > day, so to specify month / day / year defies that logic. It's like giving coordinates as "5 degrees, 2 seconds and 3 minutes". No sense.

Here's the formal BNF (that I just made up :) ) for American dates:

Date := mm/dd or Mmm dd
Year := yy or yyyy
Full_Date := Date, Year or Date/Year

The Date makes sense: largest to smallest. The Full_Date also makes sense: smallest to largest. It's only when you look at the component pieces that things look cross-eyed.

Edit: Expanded the BNF

Mungwise

Postby Mungwise » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:16 pm UTC

heh, i signed up for the forums just to post that 2 years ago i took a 20 minute notice decision at 2 am to fly from new orleans to miami one night lol

nobodyofnaught

Postby nobodyofnaught » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:31 pm UTC

So I've decided I'm being stalked by web comic authors.

Just this Saturday I returned from a 16 hour drive (each direction) to Califortnia to visit a girl...

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:48 pm UTC

lmclapp68 wrote:It's only when you look at the component pieces that things look cross-eyed.
That's what I'm saying.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

LinkTetra

Postby LinkTetra » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:59 pm UTC

lol editted :0)
Last edited by LinkTetra on Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:15 pm UTC

My only long distance relationship was from Toronto, Ontario to Austin, Texas. It didn't last long though, maybe a month (we got into a fight, and each realized the other wasn't the person we were willing to wait for)

I've had this feeling all day that I really need a hug. This comic has only amplified it. *sigh* I might just have to trudge out there and see if she wants one.
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

Kawa

Postby Kawa » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:19 pm UTC

Oh man...after this past summer, three months of a thousand miles apart before I owned my car... this hits home very hard. I don't want to do that again. And I can't count how many times I've felt exactly this.
Kawa likes these things:
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard
math, anime, more!
Origami, Florida
New York, and xkcd.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:31 pm UTC

Wow, I'm surprised at how many found it really hits them and tells all.

I've been in a long distance relationship (tomorrow is 4 months ^.^; I'll be getting my hug in about 16 days 115 minuets...if things work out. It's the holiday traveling time so things could really vary), so this comic touched me.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

DemonHybrid

Postby DemonHybrid » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:42 pm UTC

Dft wrote:
plasticsuperhero wrote:My girlfriend lives in Canada. You guys wouldn't know her. :mrgreen:

Avenue Q - 'My Girlfriend, Who Lives in Canada' wrote:Ohhhh...
I wish you could meet my girlfriend, my girlfriend who lives in Canada.
She couldn't be sweeter
I wish you could meet her,
My girlfriend who lives in Canada!

Her name is Alberta
She live in Vancouver
She cooks like my mother
And sucks like a Hoover.

I e-mail her every single day
Just to make sure that everything's okay.
It's a pity she lives so far away, in Canada!

( more: http://www.allmusicals.com/lyrics/avenu ... canada.htm )
( http://youtube.com/watch?v=DEm3xRjdN8A MS Paint style fanvid for the song )

You're missing the last part =)
"If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. The free mind is not a barking dog, to be tethered on a ten-foot chain."
-Adlai E. Stevenson Jr.

Trella

Postby Trella » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:52 pm UTC

I'm just going to echo all the other people who are in LDRs and know how bad it sucks. My boyfriend lives in California (sometimes the Philippines) and I live in Pennsylvania. Been together almost a year long-distance. On the bright side I'm moving to his side of the country in about a month, so the 2 of us are ecstatic.

Arkohn

Postby Arkohn » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:00 pm UTC

This is making me so sad...I just want a short-distance, normal fucking relationship, 4 long-distances and not a single short-distance, is that tooooo much to ask?

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:07 pm UTC

dataxpress wrote:also, the analogy to your life you used is probably the most metal thing I have ever heard, ever. I almost headbanged.
except for "despair". if you had named your volcano "dinosaur" or "awesome" or something, that would be the breaking point.

B) don't move. forget about her. it sounds impossible and you've heard it a thousand times, and i haven't even done it myself, but you can try. I had a solid string of no-go relationships, and my friend told me, "you know, if you try, and even if your failure rate is 98%, you just have to keep going until you meet that 2%." it sounded like shitty advice, but it's worked. (this isn't the most relevant advice, but it goes to show that not all advice which looks bad on the surface really is.)

It's goth metal man. There needs to be at least one reference to that kinda stuff hidden in amongst the awesome.

Also, we've tried that. It was even worse. You can break up with a girlfriend, but it's quite another thing to give up on the only human being on the entire planet that you actually trust to Do The Right Thing.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

jjane

Postby jjane » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:24 pm UTC

Kiirani wrote::( My boyfriend and I broke up recently over this.

over the comic?? jeez, y'all must have been hanging on by a thread!
:mrgreen:

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:29 pm UTC

Arkohn wrote:This is making me so sad...I just want a short-distance, normal fucking relationship, 4 long-distances and not a single short-distance, is that tooooo much to ask?

Yes.

Just kidding, I wish mi amante lived closer than across the Atlantic Ocean.
So, I get you.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

tylerni7

Postby tylerni7 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:34 pm UTC

I have to say, being celibate sure makes life easier some times. That's not to say this hasn't happened previously, but eh being single has it's perks

And why isn't the AIM client open source?!? I mean, sure that could be totally rewritten to look like the old AIM, but blah, why isn't it pidgin?

jynjin
Pretty swell. Nifty even!

Postby jynjin » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:36 pm UTC

I've had a LDR in the past. Not fun for the highly kinesthetic.

I was just talking with a girlfriend in Seattle about this. She is having a dreadful time handling distance from her boyfriend. Cyberhugs really don't cut it in either intimate relationships or friendships. Akin to saying, "I'm here for you" - it only goes so far.

prophile

Postby prophile » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:38 pm UTC

That's just depressing, but so very very true.

english_petal

Postby english_petal » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:51 pm UTC

This is so heart-hitting.

I couldn't be in a LDR - I would drive myself mental, never go to lectures, and generally waste away. I mean, hell, I had trouble being away from my bf for 6 days, let alone longer. I have to make him promise that he will hug me the moment he sees me.

You people who cope with LDRs - how are you not insane already??? (Or are you...)

Code: Select all

v                                                   > #,:# _@#:<
>62*1+9*66*1+3*25*1+25*1+*48*99*45*+74*4*6+66*1+3*43*9*48*89*1+^

ThatOneRedhead

Postby ThatOneRedhead » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:53 pm UTC

I'd go in a heartbeat if the hug would mean something when I got there.

Being 'friends' sucks sometimes.

Bonnifer

Postby Bonnifer » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:56 pm UTC

If this comic wasn't posted now, where at the end of the week we'll get to spend the next delirious, delicious month together, but at another time, I would definitly be in tears for the next few hours.

I joined today just to post; read; connect really, with others about this, because as has been said by many throughout this thread, it really did touch me.

And as a PS, I would like to express sympathy with peeps from America, where the 'just' 100 miles between me n my fiancee must seem paltry! I guess you have bigger cars to make up for it though. :)

Dft

Postby Dft » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:59 pm UTC

DemonHybrid wrote:You're missing the last part =)

Nah, I intentionally omitted it. I tend to try not to make copy-pasta too long. that is also why I said "more:" before the link to the page with the full lyrics.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:14 pm UTC

You know, I think more impressive than anything else I've ever seen in relation to this comic, is the sheer number of people who are joining strictly to comment on this one comic.

It's often the case that whatever Randall's stick figures are doing this week strikes a chord with the geek community. After all, that's what he does. But this particular one seems to have reached out and given a figurative *hug* to a huge swath of the internet population.

The Internet has brought people closer together than ever before, but it seems to have facilitated a HUGE amount of heartache simply because it HASN'T actually brought us in closer physical proximity.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Seagale

Postby Seagale » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:19 pm UTC

This comic prompted me to finally sign up and applaud.

*applauds*

*claps using one hand*

Thank you.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”