0352: "Far Away"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

schumi_girl
Human sacrifice for hire

Re: "Far Away" Discussion

Postby schumi_girl » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:20 pm UTC

*sniffle*

That comic hurt so badly.

Adam: "This could be trouble."
Riley: "We'd better make a fort."
Adam: "I'll get some pillows."

Ulairion

Postby Ulairion » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:21 pm UTC

I registered just to post in this particular thread (altough I plan to stay around).

I've read all xkcd's comics, but this one struck closer than any. Right now I'm in a kind of relationship with a girl I met through a forum. We have been "together" (a.k.a. dating through IM =S) for almost 6 months, and I've only seen her once. Sure, we were together for about ten days, but that only made things worse. When we were together I hold her in my arms for as long as I could, and now I feel her absence. And to make things worse, when we got apart I could ony give her a small kiss on the lips and nothing else. (I can be really cheesy sometimes, I admit it)

We're 1000 km apart from each other, it may not seem like a lot but I just finished high school a few days ago, and she's a year and a half younger than me, so neither of has the money nor the freedom to travel frecuently.

Being so far is really terrible. A few days ago her grandmother died AND she broke her ankle. I would have go with her, but I was still giving my final exams, so there was no way I would go. I never felt so powerless ;_;

Anyway, I'll be seeing her in three days, and I'm really looking forward to that.

Dft

Postby Dft » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:27 pm UTC

english_petal wrote:You people who cope with LDRs - how are you not insane already??? (Or are you...)

I'm slightly crazy :wink: However webcamming helps a lot. We webcam at least 90% of all the time we chat in the evenings. We chat almost every day, almost every evening, email if there's more than a day's worth of gap. and share private calendars online with each other. Call once a week, or at least twice a month. During a few rough periods (either of us having significant problems outside of the relationship) we've gone through daily calls. We SMS multiple times a week, almost on a daily basis.

Seeing your partner won't make you miss hugging her/him less, but it will help making the memories feel more solid, real and recent. Also, having a vivid imagination and a partner who's willing to play along definitely helps: We have a matching set of pillow cases that we use as "hug teleporters", only we call them by a catchier name, we often do the blow kiss/catch kiss routine via cam before going to sleep, etc. The pillows have been immensely useful. We both sleep hugging the pillows, often in a pose we've decided on together before going to bed. The pillow cases/pillows aren't of those crazy body pillows though, just a plain small pillow case stuffed with an oversized pillow.

This may seem silly, but when you actually think about it, isn't really.

dataxpress

Postby dataxpress » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:48 pm UTC

wing wrote:It's goth metal man. There needs to be at least one reference to that kinda stuff hidden in amongst the awesome.

was trying to avoid using the e-word, which is more what it is. goth metal would be... if it were a volcano that lead directly to Satan? (you crazy goths-- this is a bit of a joke)

wing wrote:Also, we've tried that. It was even worse. You can break up with a girlfriend, but it's quite another thing to give up on the only human being on the entire planet that you actually trust to Do The Right Thing.

What does not destroy you will only make you stronger.

I have walls built up so high I can't see the top of them.
I recommend filling soccer balls with napalm. Napalm is nature's toothpaste.

suzi

Postby suzi » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:19 am UTC

wing wrote:The Internet has brought people closer together than ever before, but it seems to have facilitated a HUGE amount of heartache simply because it HASN'T actually brought us in closer physical proximity.

Bravo.

kkariena

Postby kkariena » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:22 am UTC

baaaaaaaaaaah!! And he left last night *whimper*

And yes, we probably are crazy, but that's the point isn't it? I'm the type of person who, if my friends ANYWHERE needed me I'd jump in a car and drive, fly, get a bus ticket, anything I had to do to get there for them. Doesn't matter who they are or what they need. For me, jumping in a car and driving for three hours for a hug and driving back is nothing.
It's a bad night when your dream consists of a Power Ranger team and they have to sing and dance to defeat the bad guy.

"Do not use to pick up gasoline or flamable objects. Do not use to pick up anything burning." - Vacume Cleaner Warning

OmegaLord
LXIX

Postby OmegaLord » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:29 am UTC

its Half Right by Elliott Smith / Heatmiser

Could LyricWiki have lied?
So what do you guys know about *glances down at sheet* the kingdoms of orgasms
but I just don't see why someone would tape themselves together.
Bear Police wrote:I got Ready to Die today. Took me too long. Great record.

a thing

Postby a thing » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:42 am UTC

I wish the world was flat like the old days.
Then I could travel just by folding a map.
No more airplanes or speedtrains or freeways.
There'd be no distance that could hold us back.
—The New Year by Death Cab for Cutie
Disclaimer: My posts may change (dramatically) within the first 15 minutes they're posted.

Chocobean

Postby Chocobean » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:55 am UTC

Everyone who is feeling "ouch" needs to watch this shot film
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/By%C5%8Dsoku_5_Centimetre

it's the saddest, sweetest description of a Long Distance Relationship ever....

lamarguerite

Postby lamarguerite » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:00 am UTC

(I was amazed at first that so many people found this comic so relevant, but I guess it's not actually that surprising.)

Right now I see him every day at school (high school) but when we go off to college next year... Well, I'm having enough trouble NOW not just biking over to his house (and simultaneously screwing over my relationship with my parents) whenever I want to, which is almost every day.
Dft wrote:However webcamming helps a lot. We webcam at least 90% of all the time we chat in the evenings. We chat almost every day, almost every evening, email if there's more than a day's worth of gap. and share private calendars online with each other.

I am going to have to remember to get a webcam sometime this year.

Postscript:
Mr. Munroe, you almost made me cry.

Syka

Postby Syka » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:03 am UTC

I'm one of the ones who signed up to comment about this. I've only ever had long distance relationships, so this really hit a cord with me.

1. 3.25 years, Fl-NJ, broke up 2 months before I was set to move where he was for school. He broke up with me saying he couldn't do it, he was in love with someone else, and then let me know he had cheated on me.

2. Currently, 3 months and only about 300 miles (from where I'm at school to my hometown, where he lives). I graduate in a year and will be moving back home. He'll be going to school at some point after that but we've already agreed that I'll probably move with him, and he's told me if I can't go, then he's not going.

On topic: This is a message I sent to my boy last night.

"
(Insert picture of the comic)
This was todays xkcd. I checked it before going to bed.

After we got off the phone I couldn't help but think "Why did I have to fall in love with someone again whose so far away?" And then I realized why- because even if we aren't perfect separately, together we just work. I think I described it to someone as feeling like that 'once in a lifetime crazy head over heels never going to happen again' sorta love. And I know we're both stubborn enough to make it until the time we CAN hug goodnight. And other such stuff. ;)

To say in a few words what I was trying to say with that paragraph- I love you, no matter what it takes."

We see each other every two weeks-ish (sometimes it's 3), and in a week I'll be going home for a month, but it never seems like enough. We make sure to talk every night on the phone even if it is just for good night, and we're usually on AIM. Lately we've been having to make a more concious effort because school is interfereing, but we already have a 'date' set up for tomorrow night after he gets off work. :D

I'm really tempted to call my mom up and tell her I want to take the bus home Thursday for a couple days because he's having a bit of a rough time (school, and his car which is his baby is dying). But...I don't think I could do it.

That comic makes me want to say "screw it" and just go home. :) Although, last time I went home I was able to catch and earlier bus than I had expected and got to surprise him at work three hours early. He was so estatic.

*sigh* And here I've made myself all teary eyed again.

Cheers,
Syka
wing wrote:...because xkcdians are so fucking odd that they're totally desensitized to "Gee, John Q Public thinks I'm dumb." and replaces it with "John Q Public is dumb."

NaNo 07: Stuck in the Middle-Won
NaNo '06: Mother Nature is Red- Won

Areldyb

Postby Areldyb » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:04 am UTC

Too true... all too true...

LDRs are crazy, but the alternative seems a whole lot worse.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:15 am UTC

a thing wrote:I wish the world was flat like the old days.
Then I could travel just by folding a map.
No more airplanes or speedtrains or freeways.
—The New Year by Death Cab for Cutie

The Atlantic was born today and I'll tell you how...
The clouds above opened up and let it out.

I was standing on the surface of a perforated sphere
When the water filled every hole.
And thousands upon thousands made an ocean,
Making islands where no island should go.
Oh no.

Those people were overjoyed; they took to their boats.
I thought it less like a lake and more like a moat.
The rhythm of my footsteps crossing flatlands to your door have been silenced forever more.
The distance is quite simply much too far for me to row
It seems farther than ever before
Oh no.

I need you so much closer

-Death Cab For Cutie, "Transatlanticism"
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Nerys

Postby Nerys » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:23 am UTC

I'm another one who loves xkcd, but have only just signed up to post on this thread. I'm currently doing New York to England. I'm in NY for a year, so at least I know it not long distance forever.

Anyhoo, when we were doing Bath to Oxford in the UK (which seems nothing now, it's ~70 miles) we used msn messenger a lot, and it had two emoticons that were a boy hugging from one side and a girl hugging from the other. We used to post those, but were sorry for them cos they could never reach each other. So I copied them into paint and combined them to make them reach.

Lately we've been using skype's im which has a slightly odd, but kinda cute bear hug.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:08 am UTC

wing wrote:<WARNING: I segfaulted and puked up this post. It's incoherent, all over the place, dubiously related to the thread, and very very personal>

You know, I think it's a lot worse for those of us with the means and will to do the 2AM blitz.

[...]

This comic has changed my life... Everything's still exactly the same as it was before I saw the comic, but yet it's all changed. I now understand that I'm on an overloaded, 10 mile long freight train with no brakes, loaded with flammable materials, on fire, careening down a 33% grade at 150mph headed towards a washed out bridge over a motherfucking volcano called despair. I may as well enjoy the motherfucking ride.

.... But I still don't have the balls to go.
Man, I know what you mean. I could just go down to the bus station and hop on a bus to Ontario right now. My college fund would probably get me an apartment at least. But that would mean giving up on college, leaving everything behind, spending all my money, and living in Ontario. :( Actually, I've seriously considered selling the majority of my stuff, and using what money I have to fly the both of us to Japan and start over there, but that's even crazier. I can't afford it, neither of us speak Japanese, and I really don't know enough about the place to say whether I'd want to live there or not. :-/ If we could just be there for a while, then come back here, that'd be perfect, but oh, the cost...

It's times like this I wish I had enough money to just go wherever I want for a few weeks. IM really just doesn't cut it.

What's even worse is when you finally get the opportunity to be together again and lose it. I was going to go down there for vacation this summer, and we had it all planned out. We would finally be able to see eachother again. And then a week before I was due to leave I got into an accident on an ATV and wound up in the hospital for several weeks. The timing was just unbelievable. ;_; (And to add injury to insult, I couldn't move my arms for several weeks either. >_<)

It seems so hopeless, but I can't give up...

also, on another note, does english requiring that sentences end within the quote bother anybody "like this?"
it's the exact opposite of "programming"; // and it angers me
Yes! I hate that! I actually tend to put the punctuation outside of the quotes anyway, correct form be damned. I mean if I'm quoting someone at the end of a question, it doesn't make sense to put the question mark inside the quotes. They weren't the one asking a question!
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

longdistancegeek

Postby longdistancegeek » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:13 am UTC

Oh god, when I first saw this comic, it didn't hit me so hard. Then I looked at it again, and my chest started to hurt. When I watched the music video for I Wish You Were Here, and the lyrics of Transatlanticism, it made me cry. I just wanted to hug all of us LDRs. *hug*
ZOMG 'tis a LEMON!!! <-- The story of my life.

pKp

Postby pKp » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:25 am UTC

*Note to self : never get in a LDR. That would break what's left of my heart[/overlydramatic]*
Experience is a thing you can't have for nothing - Oscar wilde

lewis1350

Postby lewis1350 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:27 am UTC

Just like everyone else, I'm seriously hating this right now... :'(
Wow, I feel lame. Except that everyone else is the same way.

pxc

Postby pxc » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:29 am UTC

lamarguerite wrote:(I was amazed at first that so many people found this comic so relevant, but I guess it's not actually that surprising.)

Right now I see him every day at school (high school) but when we go off to college next year... Well, I'm having enough trouble NOW not just biking over to his house (and simultaneously screwing over my relationship with my parents) whenever I want to, which is almost every day.

Postscript:
Mr. Munroe, you almost made me cry.

I was in a similar situation a few months ago. I was doing the biking, and she was the one who was having trouble with her parents over it. A religious thing. :-\
What use is a voice, if you've no song to sing?

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:47 am UTC

I haven't actually cried in a while.

This comic changed that.

aitrus

Postby aitrus » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:13 am UTC

I had to register just to post an affirmative to this one.

Been reading XKCD for quite some time, and it's been a while since I've seen one so relevant. Funny, always. Hilarious, quite often. But moving in that geeky, heartwarming way?

This one hit the nail on the head. Thank you, and keep it up!

jeffk

Postby jeffk » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:20 am UTC

Been there, done that, got the phone bills and credit card bills (for airline tickets). For a year. That was about...sixteen years ago? Geez, has it been that long already?

I didn't have e-mail at home, and she didn't have e-mail period. IM? Not in those days.

But I can confirm that *hug* doesn't transmit very well over phone lines or snail mail, either :(

<happyEnding>
Our sixteenth wedding anniversary's in three months. And we still have all of our letters and cards from back then.
</happyEnding>

schaduwen

Postby schaduwen » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:26 am UTC

I never would have thought that I would see something that I relate to so exactly here. AIM is pretty much all I use, but somehow I didn't think I would ever see it in an xkcd comic. I've had many, many moments like this comic and it feels worse when you start texting that person and talking to them on the phone too. It's such a hard circumstance to be in, you just want that physical comfort more than anything sometimes.

Savage Karate Attack

Postby Savage Karate Attack » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:45 am UTC

Awww ... now I miss my girlfriend even more.

Although after reading the replies in the thread and seeing the distances between some of the couples here, I feel like my relationship barely qualifies as long-distance by comparison - north Texas to central Arkansas, 6-hour drive, see her about once every six weeks on average, and I can make it (and have made it) up there for emergencies in a real pinch. It will only be two weeks before she's down for Christmas for a month.

We've been dating for 17 months. Not one day has passed since July 2, 2006 that we have not spoken to each other for at least an hour. And yet the comic is still right - sometimes it's not enough...

Paper

Postby Paper » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:56 am UTC

I'd like to say something in response to the people who say they're hating their LDRs.

If you are actually hating it... you should stop it.

Yes we would all prefer to be with our significant others. Yes relationships are addictions, and it's hard to let them go. But if you aren't enjoying your relationship even though it's long-distance, if the positives of being with that person (not being with SOMEONE, being with that person) aren't more than enough to make up for it, you probably aren't cut out for it.

Like any relationship, a long-distance relationship shouldn't break your heart, it should keep it whole. It shouldn't cause you more pain than it causes you joy, not only in the hypothetical long term, but even in the right here and the right now. If this comic causes you actual pain and grief, and not merely bittersweet tears... well, I guess I'm not really qualified to tell anyone what to do in a relationship. But you can be happier than that. Don't set aside your present happiness for a possibility of future bliss that, statistically, isn't likely to work out.

Though I know many xkcdians believe logic can't be applied to love - as evidenced by the popularity of the shirt - I say that it can. You just need a different set of postulates and axioms than you need for math. It's a lot like regular expressions, actually:

• It's good to be greedy.
  • Just because you've found one match doesn't mean there are no others.
  • Files can change or be modified over time. Just because you find that part of a file matches on one run doesn't guarantee it'll keep matching every time.
  • Unusual and/or complicated regexes are less likely to be matched, but the matches are more likely to be what you're looking for.

Etc. etc.

I brought that up because of the "be greedy" rule. If what you have isn't making you happy, change it.

That's all for my little soapbox for the evening, I think.
Last edited by Paper on Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Syka

Postby Syka » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:03 am UTC

I don't hate my LDR by a longshot. I hate the distance, yes. But the relationship itself? It's amazing.

There is a difference between hating the distance and hating the relationship itself. :)

Just every now and then there are times when it's harder, like right now we're both in a period of high stress with exams and other life issues and we'd give anything to hold each other. But right now school has to come first.

It's sad, and it's heart wrenching but...He's worth it. Without a doubt. We have a time frame for it to end, and I'm more sure of this than I have ever been in my life.

Cheers,
Syka
wing wrote:...because xkcdians are so fucking odd that they're totally desensitized to "Gee, John Q Public thinks I'm dumb." and replaces it with "John Q Public is dumb."

Dft

Postby Dft » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:32 am UTC

Paper wrote:Like any relationship, a long-distance relationship shouldn't break your heart, it should keep it whole. It shouldn't cause you more pain than it causes you joy, not only in the hypothetical long term, but even in the right here and the right now. If this comic causes you actual pain and grief, and not merely bittersweet tears... well, I guess I'm not really qualified to tell anyone what to do in a relationship. But you can be happier than that. Don't set aside your present happiness for a possibility of future bliss that, statistically, isn't likely to work out.
[...]

[list=][*]It's good to be greedy.[*]Just because you've found one match doesn't mean there are no others.[*]Files can change or be modified over time. Just because you find that part of a file matches on one run doesn't guarantee it'll keep matching every time.[*]Unusual and/or complicated regexes are less likely to be matched, but the matches are more likely to be what you're looking for.[/list]

I second this notion. As someone who've grown up with stupid parents who should have gotten a divorce when I was in kindergarten (yes I actually wished that as a kid) or at least separated back then instead of waiting a decade to do that, I can't stress the importance of this enough. If the LDR relationship wounds you, instead of merely being frustrating at times because of the physical distance and too seldom visits, it's the relationship itself that's seriously unhealthy. Either change the way the relationship works (to accommodate both of your needs), or cease having it. Just because you think or "know" it could have worked out if you had known them in real life doesn't mean that you should stretch yourselves that thin to try with something that clearly doesn't work. Some people just aren't capable to have LDRs as well, due to the nature of their needs. This is not inferior or bad in any way, this is just how it is.

Dft

Postby Dft » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:43 am UTC

Chocobean wrote:Everyone who is feeling "ouch" needs to watch this shot film
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/By%C5%8Dsoku_5_Centimetre

it's the saddest, sweetest description of a Long Distance Relationship ever....

..OH! I looked at it and after clicking on the link to "She and her friend Catherine" I suddenly realized why I had a bad case of the Deja Vus, I already had read the pages as sublinks to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voices_of_a_Distant_Star which also is about a long distance relationship. I saw that short movie before reading the wiki page (my SO had bought it on DVD, and then watched it again with me during a visit), it actually made me cry. Tragic. Not so tragic in the manga though, as far as I've heard.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:57 am UTC

Paper wrote:I'd like to say something in response to the people who say they're hating their LDRs.

You're trying to apply rational decision making processes to the only irrational thing these people have. This is xkcd, not myspace. Everyone here is capable of reasoned decision and practices it habitually. Sure, we apply math and science to our love lives too, but usually in jest when things aren't working out quite the way they "should".

I haven't seen a single person post here that actually hates their relationship. It's a dramatic tradeoff. What you lose in the touchy-feely-cuddles-heartache zone - which is what "society" believes a loving, caring relationship is made of - is more than made up for in BONDING. You're right - in many ways, a relationship is an addiction. And under the correct circumstances, a SHARED addiction. Together, you go through the withdraws, the fulfillment, the whole range of experiences. You empathize with each other - because you're both going through the same thing. Since you're already turning to that person so much for that, you begin going to them for other things - and before you know it, you're not just a couple - you're best friends. And before you know it, you're not just best friends - you've turned into each other's exact complement. You're so in tune to each other's thoughts and feelings that you don't NEED to be told, and you don't need to tell.

We hate the difficulty. We hate the cost. We hate sleeping with laptops. We hate the late nights that always seem to be necessary immediately before a 5AM meeting. But we would not give it up for anything in the world. I'd sooner let you cut off my penis with a rusty paperclip than give this up again. The worst possible outcome, it's a lifechanging experience. The best possible outcome, the lifechanging never stops.

xkcdians on the whole seem to value completely different things in a relationship than our so-called peers, so is it any wonder when it turns out that, statistically, we seem to have a much higher occurance of non-traditional relationships? And I suspect that if you come back in a few decades, you'll find that this particular sampling of people will have a higher success rate than wherever the failure rate stands at that point. This would be interesting material for anyone looking for a long term study.

I will, however, admit that it's easier to say "I hate my long distance relationship" than to explain what exactly you mean. Most people aren't cut out to survive this kind of relationship. But those same people usually experience the social stigmas against such a relationship. People that are sensitive to that type of pressure generally aren't xkcd fans, because xkcdians are so fucking odd that they're totally desensitized to "Gee, John Q Public thinks I'm dumb." and replaces it with "John Q Public is dumb."
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Syka

Postby Syka » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:35 am UTC

wing wrote:People that are sensitive to that type of pressure generally aren't xkcd fans, because xkcdians are so fucking odd that they're totally desensitized to "Gee, John Q Public thinks I'm dumb." and replaces it with "John Q Public is dumb."

Permission to quote and sig? :mrgreen: That made me laugh and my roommates are asleep...so it's not a good idea for me to laugh. ;)

Another reason why we might have a higher incidence of LDR's- I think most here are high school/college age (or were when they had their LDR) and I've found people around this age are much more accepting that an LDR can work than they were when I was in high school. Namely 'cause everyone knows 3+ people who are with someone back home/at a different school/in a different country. :)

Cheers,
Syka
Last edited by Syka on Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Paper

Postby Paper » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:38 am UTC

wing wrote:
Paper wrote:I'd like to say something in response to the people who say they're hating their LDRs.

You're trying to apply rational decision making processes to the only irrational thing these people have. This is xkcd, not myspace. Everyone here is capable of reasoned decision and practices it habitually. Sure, we apply math and science to our love lives too, but usually in jest when things aren't working out quite the way they "should".

And rational decision-making processes shouldn't be applied to this because...?

I understand what you talk about in the rest of the post because I am myself in a geek LDR that actually began on the internet, and has been going on for over two years. I understand that there are definitely circumstances in which an LDR is appropriate. I'm not saying long-distance relationships never work. I'm not saying they even work less than most traditional relationships (I think I saw a study once that indicated they had as high a break-up rate before marriage, but a lower divorce rate after; but I don't remember where I saw that so [citation needed], and take it with a big ol' grain of salt.) I'm saying, for those people who feel more pain than joy - get out. I was specifically thinking of a couple examples of people on this thread who have indicated that the primary reason they're in their LDRs is that it hurts more to be out of them.

Those of you in healthy LDRs, I salute you :).

3clipse

Postby 3clipse » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:45 am UTC

Oh man. That one got me.

I'm currently dating a girl whom I intend to marry once we're both out of college. Problem is, we go to college about 600 miles away from each other. We make trips to visit, but still, those don't come nearly frequently enough.

This comic hits closer to home than I would really like it to; I showed it to her and she agreed.

Intense.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Decius

Postby Decius » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:52 am UTC

You need a Tablet PC and Live Messenger:
live_messenger_ink.png
Screenshot of Windows Live Messenger on a Tablet PC. Illustrative response to 'Far Away' comic.
live_messenger_ink.png (73.32 KiB) Viewed 3336 times

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:55 am UTC

Paper wrote:And rational decision-making processes shouldn't be applied to this because...?

Because if all choices were made rationally, we wouldn't have art. or music. or fast cars. or Apple computers. Everyone should have something, somewhere in their life that isn't governed by reality, but instead by the whims of fancy.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

dataxpress

Postby dataxpress » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:16 am UTC

The problem in this thread is people comparing LDR's with local relationships. It's not quite apples to oranges-- more like granny smiths and red deliciouses.

I was going to do a point by point comparison of the two, but, as it stands, i have a semester of english homework to do by.... tonight

acydlord

Postby acydlord » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:25 pm UTC

This one hits home, story of my life, etc. Had the same experience just a few hours ago.

GGLucas

Postby GGLucas » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:49 pm UTC

I can't help but be amazed not only at the way xkcd hits the sore spot so accurately, but also at the way it has brought people from everywhere together and made them tell their stories, whoever said geeks are antisocial?

Personally, this one hit me very close (as it did with many other people, I noticed), I myself have been in a long distance relationship (The Netherlands - Spain (2000+km)) for about 7~10 months now, depending on where you start the count (we met online and she's been my best friend for almost 3 years already), we were together together for a week this summer, but our plans for being together over Christmas got completely shattered recently (circumstances, teenagers (15 & 16 y/o) like us don't have a lot of ways to meet over that distance), so as we get closer to the time we were supposed to be together, it starts to get depressing, having to wait an additional 7 months for summer to come again. The fact that the high school system over there (or at least the one she's going to) is so screwed up she sometimes doesn't come online for weeks on end (I haven't spoken to her for over a week :() because of those damn tests doesn't help. Ah well, whining about it doesn't help (says the one who just typed up all that), and there's nothing that makes you happier than knowing that you're in a stable relationship that's made to last through distance and time and that ultimately, you'll be together, somehow. It's a tradeoff, half of life is sadness, half of life is happiness. (Yes, very very cliche, but I felt like quoting The Twelve Kingdoms, though, it's too cliche to be considered a quote XD) That said, I do wish they'd just get rid of Belgium, France, and that one range of mountains that I forgot the name of, already.

To all of you other LDR people, distance can be daunting, but if you have to wait a few years until you can be with the one you love for the rest of your life, then it's more than worth it. Well, at least I think so.

PS. Yes, the whole sentence-closing-inside-quotation annoys me A LOT too, so I refuse to use it correctly, I have a nice excuse too, not being a native speaker and all :P
Last edited by GGLucas on Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

dataxpress

Postby dataxpress » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:11 pm UTC

I'm wondering what the general age of the people posting about their LDRs is. It seems to be a younger demographic than I expected.

enk

Postby enk » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:21 pm UTC

I was visiting a girl I'm dating who lives five hours by train from me. I wanted to show her an xkcd, so I typed xkcd.com and "Far Away" showed up. How ironic is that? :?
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

Griffin

Postby Griffin » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:18 pm UTC

First: I definitely feel where this comic is coming from.

I'm in a semi-LDR (Only like 140 miles, its not that bad), and while its really good in lots of ways, I do end up missing her terribly. I'm sure it helps that I get to see her every week/week and a half for a day or three, but occasionally we'll have three+ week periods where we do not get to see each other, and those are agonizing.
Missing her does makes me that much happier to see her, though. Considering my inability to prioritize, it's probably good for my schoolwork. Also, there is room for spontaneous surprise visits! (Plus I get an excuse to travel a couple of states away every other weekend). Its not good for my budget but... meh. Sometimes you need to hug a person IN person, money be damned.

That said, I'm spending my next school semester/year in New Zealand. That is going to be... difficult. I honestly don't know if either of us will be able to handle that, but here's hoping.

Other than the webcam thing (which we already do), any other advice for keeping things good? Preferably advice that a very poor college student can afford? (I'm assuming the weekly visits will have to end)
Last edited by Griffin on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Bdthemag: "I don't always GM, but when I do I prefer to put my player's in situations that include pain and torture. Stay creative my friends."

Bayobeasts - the Pokemon: Orthoclase project.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”